Type keyword(s) to search

The Castle Fashion Thread: The Good, The Bad, The (Very) Ugly!

WendyCR72

I thought Stana (or someone) once said she wore high heels because it gives a feeling of parity between them if she's the same height as him and can look him direct in the eye.

Beckett once said she likes heels because being as tall as/taller than the men she works with and the suspects she goes after gives her a sense of power over them. 

I agree the shoes are ridiculous.  But I don't like the idea that she can't be taken seriously as a cop because of her hair/clothes.  A woman shouldn't have to tone down her look to be successful.  If she wants to wear designer clothes and have long hair she should be able to, as long as it doesn't actually interfere with her job. And it doesn't for Beckett, although I'm guessing IRL the heels would.

• Love 1
I think it was actually Natalie Rhodes asked if that was why and she said "no I just like them"

Natalie asked if that was why and if she needed that edge to have authority.  And Beckett said she didn't need to feel more powerful, but she liked it.  But it's been awhile since that episode.

To me Stana looked more beautiful and more interesting in Season One than any later time. For one thing, the Hollywood Hair and heavy eyemakeup turns her into just one more generic starlet.

The woman could be a *S*T*A*R* if they PTB would let her look like a real person instead of a clone.

Hayley Attwell has a very average/ beautiful face, but overcomes it by being just a little heavier than the clones. Meryl Streep has short hair (and a few years). Jennifer Lawrence cut her hair.

Stana has allowed her true stunning beauty to be lost behind Hollywood tropes.

• Love 2
@RedCarpetLuke: Oh, that! Marlowe and I talked about having #Castle in a "PI Uniform" - Columbo meets Bogie Meets @NathanFillion - Signature PI jkt for 3 ep

Oh dear, just as I feared.  Don't see a particular need for a PI uniform, but even if there was one, don't see how that particular jacket screams PI.   Then again, nothing Castle wears these days really screams millionaire metrosexual writer/police consultant to me either so... ;)  Columbo meets Bogie would have been something like a trenchcoat, or houndstooth if they were going for Holmes.  Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes's PI threads are a far cry from what Luke's put Castle in.  Far more stylish and well cut.

No offence, but I don't think Marlowe's the guy to take fashion advice from either considering how he's dressed at Paley panels and such, and after approving of that hideous and hideously expensive wedding dress from Luke. 

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

@RedCarpetLuke: Oh, that! Marlowe and I talked about having #Castle in a "PI Uniform" - Columbo meets Bogie Meets @NathanFillion - Signature PI jkt for 3 ep

Oh that probably explains while he's wearing possibly the same dark grey button up 2 eps in a row. I know it's suppose to be winter but I sick of the dark, drabby color palette on him.

Oh that probably explains while he's wearing possibly the same dark grey button up 2 eps in a row. I know it's suppose to be winter but I sick of the dark, drabby color palette on him.

I say they ran out of money and the "P.I. Uniform" is just them trying to explain it away.  If they bought one less coat for Beckett they could probably give Castle six new suits.

But is the fact that he says signature jacket for 3 episodes an unintentional spoiler about the length of the PI arc?

Edited by KaveDweller

I say they ran out of money and the "P.I. Uniform" is just them trying to explain it away.  If they bought one less coat for Beckett they could probably give Castle six new suits.

But is the fact that he says signature jacket for 3 episodes an unintentional spoiler about the length of the PI arc?

Heh, they're clearly on a budget even if they don't seem to utilise it that well at times. It's Beckett's wardrobe that Luke is obviously way more interested based on his interviews and I think Stana is also keen on having an input whilst Nathan couldn't care less what he gets dressed and this is the result. 

As for the unintentional spoiler oh I do hope so. 

Is it too much to hope for a book launch party or at least a society function where Castle and Beckett get to dress up, bedazzle land on Best Dressed Lists (hopefully ;))?

I hope they don't forget her scar if it's for Beckett.  Rewatched the wild west episode recently, and Beckett looked like she was able to have a wardrobe malfunction there at the end in her white dress!  

Heh, yeah she was kind of almost spilling out of it. 

I would love them to have another book launch party or some kind of social event which proves they do have other friends besides those they hang out with at the precinct. It would be great to see them walking arm in arm through the crowd and press as a recognized couple dressed in all their finery. I adore that moment when she arrives at his party in that Herve Leger bandage dress and Castle spots her and is utterly transfixed and he smiles and rushes over to see her, then you get all the sparky back and forth. *sigh* What I wouldn't give for more of those kind of moments. 

Edited by verdana

Speaking of social events, I would have liked to see the fundraiser for the scholarship Castle set up in memory of Beckett's mother.  They would have dressed up for that.  Maybe it's time for a second fundraiser event?

Is it too much to hope for a book launch party or at least a society function where Castle and Beckett get to dress up, bedazzle land on Best Dressed Lists (hopefully ;))?

Speaking of social events, I would have liked to see the fundraiser for the scholarship Castle set up in memory of Beckett's mother.  They would have dressed up for that.  Maybe it's time for a second fundraiser event?

Either would be fine with me. I rather tptb allocate the budget to see a party with lots of extras than another explosion or crappy green screen effect. I miss the high society circles that Castle supposely used to be in. Hey bring back the lady who ran the fundraiser in Home Is Where the Heart Stops if she's available. You could even have Martha there hosting the auction again or have some sort of storyline.

I miss the high society circles that Castle supposely used to be in. Hey bring back the lady who ran the fundraiser in Home Is Where the Heart Stops if she's available.

I loved the little exchange with that lady talking about an old fling of his and he finally remembers her and she tells him "oh I hear she's a great scandal in St Moritz" and when she asks him what he's up to and he smiles and says he's "currently between scandals" at the moment and Beckett is there glaring away at him. Oh for the days when Rick Castle was smooth, suave, knew how to dress and had a varied and active social life. 

• Love 1

Blue Printed Pajama worn by Beckett in I Witness. 

Olivia Von Halle - Blue Lila Alexa Printed Silksatin Pajama Set

$476 for a pair of pajamas. Jesus Christ. I'll stick to my old worn out baggy extra long t-shirt thanks.

beige wool coat worn in I Witness.  

Sport Max (Max Mara)

Original price: unknown

I do like love this coat however, bet it costs a fortune.

contrast cuff blazer worn by Kate in Resurrection.

Design by: Rag and Bone

Price: $563

What I'd like to know is where did she get those boots from she wore this episode! 

Edited by verdana
$476 for a pair of pajamas. Jesus Christ. I'll stick to my old worn out baggy extra long t-shirt thanks.

Are you freaking kidding me?  *clicks link*  Gosh, sold out?  Bought by all the NYPD detectives? ;)  (Though who knows if it was a super exclusive stock of 10 heh. The more exclusive, the more people can be made to buy ugly things. ;))

Is this the same detective who rolled her eyes at Castle talking about his expensive men's silk boxers?  

Maybe the only way for it to make sense is to believe that they were a gift from Martha. ;)

The truth is, Luke has left us with no sense of what PJs Beckett actually favours because her PJs, like her coats, have been like a fashion catwalk.  For every time that we've seen Castle in a v-neck tee, Beckett's worn a different kind of sleepwear.  I'm not saying a person can't have more than one kind of sleepwear to suit different moods and because laundry ;), but I think Luke has gone far overboard and showed little restraint as usual.  Less can be more!

These pajamas are symptomatic of my problems with Luke.  Wardrobe should ideally relate to the character and elevate the scene.  And in a fiscally responsible sense, what it brings to the show should justify the capital outlay.  I don't see how these extravagant and ugly PJs bring any bang for its buck to the show.  The scene would have been just as fine if Beckett had been wearing an unobtrusive long sleeved top like she wore in an earlier PI episode when Castle came to bed to apologise.  Instead, these garish PJs distracted from the scene set in a dark bedroom.  If Luke wanted to inject a character note, the audience would have loved it much more if Beckett had been wearing an old, baggy, much cheaper T-shirt of Castle's.  

As a comparison, I was watching a comedy earlier, I think it was Parks & Rec, and there was a scene of the (cute) married couple there climbing out of bed in matching geeky tshirts which definitely related to the characters and inserted a subtle funny note to the scene.  There wasn't undue attention drawn to PJs but they added a little something to the show.  (I think little things like onion goggles and laser tag added to the show in earlier years.  I think it would be fun if Castle wore a novelty tshirt or apron from time to time with funny writer puns or something.  Or if they wore faded Nebula 9/Forbidden Planet tshirts to bed.  They both seem to love costumes to an extent so why can't they have some fun with that from time to time?  Nothing over the top, but I don't know if Luke can strike the right subtle, witty note. ;)

Just because you have a big budget, doesn't mean you need to spend it all.

• Love 1

I thought Salvador Perez who was the fashion designer prior to Luke understood perfectly what his job entailed. He was there to design a wardrobe for the various cast members that matched the characters they played and did not pander to any obvious titillation of the audience with clothing or accessories that didn't seem to make any sense for that character to be wearing. He rarely put a foot wrong, Castle looked like a millionaire, socialite writer who obviously appreciated good quality well tailored clothing and Beckett looked like a buttoned up, professional, smart but not too fashion savvy cop.

Some may say it doesn't matter how a character is dressed, you can simply hand wave it away who cares it's only clothing it's the story that matters. But why make life more difficult for the writers than it needs to be when it's their job to help immerse the viewer in the world that's being created? Luke seems to focus on the fashion element exclusively and what looks cool "hot" or quirky without pausing to think "would the character really wear this?"  

Having the characters wearing appropriate clothing is an important part of the storytelling process and a bad choice can take me instantly out of a scene. The most recent example being those ridiculous long killer boots Beckett wore in the last episode when going to a crime scene. On a night out with her husband or with her girlfriends they would look fine but not when she's working as a detective and Luke should be aware of these things given his long experience on various shows.  

I quite agree madmaverick that just because they have a healthy budget doesn't mean you should fritter it away on expensive designer goods that often detract not add to a scene.

However, the designer coats can stay. If they ever has to go an economy drive with those I'd be distraught. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
Is this the same detective who rolled her eyes at Castle talking about his expensive men's silk boxers?

Do you think we're actually supposed to believe Beckett spends this much on designer clothes or does Luke just pick them out and try to pass them off as normal clothes a normal person would wear?  Because I'm not super into fashion and would never guess that most of her clothes are crazy expensive.  I think they could pass off as normal clothes.  At least when looking at them on TV.

I quite agree madmaverick that just because they have a healthy budget doesn't mean you should fritter it away on expensive designer goods that often detract not add to a scene.

Especially since they seem to cut costs in other areas that could use the money.

• Love 1
Do you think we're actually supposed to believe Beckett spends this much on designer clothes or does Luke just pick them out and try to pass them off as normal clothes a normal person would wear?

The thing is - and I admit that I could be heavily influenced by the more grittier cop shows I watch that also feature women cops - Beckett's clothes (to me!) don't look "normal". They look fancier than I see other comparable characters wear. I mean, could you see Beckett in, say, a regular wool knit cap and bulky parka? Because on other NY shows in winter, it's never about fashion, just warmth.

But maybe that's because Castle actually tapes in LA. So warmth is built in, so to speak.  :-)  Since the show is fluffier and more fantasy, I guess the clothes she wears work for the universe it takes place in. But Beckett would be with a sprained ankle or frozen to death if she was ever cop Beckett in the other shows.

• Love 1

Is this high difference cuteness a new thing?

Not understanding why so many people (not just this board) are into or find it endearing, sexy, smushy, gushy...etc.

My feminism alarm goes off right away whenever I see it because I feel like people are saying that women should be cute and little when next to a man.

Please tell me I'm just interpreting tumblr wrong?

I think the height difference is adorable.

For me it's more about allowing Beckett to shed her badass persona and take comfort in someone else. She's tall and intimidating and everything that goes with it, so when she's not there I like to see her more relaxed. Plus, it's not all about Beckett being small, it's about Castle being big. I think we forget how big of a guy he is because Beckett wears the tall shoes.

As someone that's as tall as Stana is, I like that she can be both. She rocks those high heels, but at the same time, it can be socially awkward to be so tall. Having that height difference gives me hope that there are tall men out there. ;)

halwideman, I don't read tumblr, but if you are referring to people who say it's "adorable" that Castle is so much taller than Beckett, I'm inclined to agree with you.  I think it's practical for a couple to be close enough to the same height that when they dance, each one can see over the other's shoulder.  

The thing is - and I admit that I could be heavily influenced by the more grittier cop shows I watch that also feature women cops - Beckett's clothes (to me!) don't look "normal". They look fancier than I see other comparable characters wear. I mean, could you see Beckett in, say, a regular wool knit cap and bulky parka? Because on other NY shows in winter, it's never about fashion, just warmth.

But maybe that's because Castle actually tapes in LA. So warmth is built in, so to speak. :-) Since the show is fluffier and more fantasy, I guess the clothes she wears work for the universe it takes place in. But Beckett would be with a sprained ankle or frozen to death if she was ever cop Beckett in the other shows.

LOL so true especially how the east coast is getting lots of snow and cold and my twitter feed from Ohio to New England is totally sick of winter. It would be nice variety to see Beckett in a cute beanie cause I'm pretty sure I've seem some of the SVU detectives wear beanies. I do find it endearing that Ellie Miller on Broadchurch pretty much wear her bright orange North Face jacket for like one scene every ep this season. But yeah it must suck to wear a wool coat in LA when it's crazy hot. I think it was like 90° yesterday so yeah I don't think anyone wants to be that bundled up.

I guess I know nothing about fashion cause they don't look and fancier than clothes I see on other shows.  And they look less fancy than shows that make a big deal about fashion like Gossip Girl (which I totally watched by accident). I don't watch many other cop shows though.

The weather thing, that's annoying though.  Cause it is freezing in NYC right now and no one on the show dresses warm enough for that.  I am outside the city, but my face was literally hurting just standing outside today.  But on Castle they wear clothes that aren't appropriate when it is summery too.  And it's definitely not the only show with that flaw (probably all due to the filming in LA thing). But again, I don't watch Law and Order or CSI or anything like that.

Why does a man need to be taller?

I thought the answer is obvious as to why, especially if you're of average female height like me. 

They can easily get stuff off high supermarket shelves and out of super tall kitchen cupboards. 

I think the height difference is adorable.

For me it's more about allowing Beckett to shed her badass persona and take comfort in someone else. She's tall and intimidating and everything that goes with it, so when she's not there I like to see her more relaxed. Plus, it's not all about Beckett being small, it's about Castle being big. I think we forget how big of a guy he is because Beckett wears the tall shoes.

This.

I think it's utterly adorable and I love those scenes when she has her shoes off and you can see just how tall Fillion is, he really is a big guy. It just works for me on every level. I must admit I don't care how it comes over from a feminist POV I just know what I like and there's something about it. *shrug*

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Most women are shorter than most men, but when women choose life partners, I'm not sure we use height as one of the parameters. At least not the important ones.

I thought it was one of the things women did look for in a guy when it comes to all that breeding for future generations LOL - you want to find the fittest, strongest, tallest etc. The problem with short guys is that I've found they often have a chip on their shoulder about it and act in such a way to make up for their lack of stature with irritating in your face behaviour around others and it's so obvious what's going on and it's tiresome and embarrassing. 

Edited by verdana

I don't think the point is there has to be a height difference for them to be adorable. I think the height difference enhances their adorableness, especially because we see them like that so infrequently.

As someone that's on the tall side of normal - I'm 5'9, which isn't a giant, but it's tall enough to cause problems - being a tall girl can suck sometimes. And not even because I'm the same height or maybe taller than men. It sucks for stupid reasons, like finding pants that fit correctly. Pants that fit in the waist aren't long enough, and pants that are long enough don't fit in the butt. Or mirrors (over sinks) are too low for me to see my whole head without ducking. I spend most of my work day on my feet in front of a computer ... but that computer is just slightly too low for me to be comfortable using without hunching over (the monitor is more at my chest level). Being tall can be awkward. Sometimes I like being tall. Sometimes it's the most annoying thing in the world.

So I like seeing someone like Beckett that rocks her height and even accentuates it (with her heels), but also looks like she fits with someone like Castle. It's like a reminder that being tall doesn't have to be awkward or out of place.

For me, at least, it's not about being endearing or simply fulfilling a societal view. Maybe it doesn't enhance anything for you because you don't need it to. Something like a height difference doesn't resonate with you because maybe you get that all the time. I definitely don't.

Besides, I always sort of looked at Beckett's height like her armor. Castle (jokingly) tells her he based Nikki on her "because she's tall". She kicks butt with her heels, chases down the bad guys and makes the confess. So when, all of a sudden, she's not so tall, it's like she's allowing herself to trust in others. She trusts Castle enough to take strength from him if she has to, she doesn't need the heels to make her feel powerful or useful. I like that a lot. I don't think the idea ever was "omg, Beckett needs to be smaller than Castle because she's a girl!!".

But hey, if it's a nonissue for you, that's cool, too. I just hope you don't think it's purely a gender roles issue, because I definitely don't think it is.

• Love 3

Hmm so are you saying it's adorable specifically for the character of Kate Beckett?

Because what I think you are saying is that her not wearing the heels can act as a device to show vulnerability.

I think that, yes, it is adorable for the character of Kate Beckett that goes beyond gender stereotypes.

I'm not saying that those gender stereotypes don't exist, but I think they've done a good job making it more than just stereotypes on Castle. It's not like they cast Stana and then said "oh crap, we need a guy that's taller than her", or cast Nathan and said "cool, now everyone will be shorter".

But I also think there's something visually appealing about a couple that just look like they fit together. You mention DWTS, which is interesting, because I think in ballroom dancing specifically a couple has to be well matched. Rick Fox and Cheryl Burke make an awkward couple, just because of the height differential. Cheryl handled it much better than Clyde Drexler's partner did. (He was also super tall.) It goes the same way - this last season even Sadie and Mark looked a bit mismatched because she was just as tall as he was (maybe even a smidge taller) when she wore the ballroom heels.

Or even outside of traditional ballroom dancing, where gender roles might play a part - Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman always looked like a weird couple to me.

In a world where it's a business to be visually appealing (we talk often enough about barbie-Beckett or god forbid, Nathan's weight), I think the fact that they look good together is important. I think it's less important in real life, because not everyone is barbie-Beckett or Captain Tightpants, but I also think they've given Beckett enough backstory and enough butt kicking moments that the height difference is more "adorable" and less "stereotype".

Gosh. Who knew I'd put so much thought into this tonight?

Beckett looks chic in her purple top and lovely navy coat in the new sneak peek which I don't think I've seen her wear before.  But Castle is stuck in an old jacket with big, ugly chest pockets and overlong sleeves as usual.  I think that jacket is Luke's handiwork because it has his signature (ugly) detailing.  That shirt of Castle's is OK except I feel like he's worn it in at least half a dozen episodes this season already.  I realise men may not have as many clothes as women in their wardrobe (even if Castle is supposedly a metrosexual ;)), but the recycling is a bit too much, especially for a TV wardrobe. ;)

Sorry, but I just don't think Luke does a good job styling Castle at all, and perhaps not men in general.  He has no excuse even if Nathan isn't built like a supermodel.  I thought the wardrobe Nathan wore in his cameo on TBBT was more vibrant, metrosexual and better cut than what Luke has put Castle in in a long time.  Which is just sad, really. 

• Love 2

Many communities has similar programs usually aimed at low-income women or those on social assistance to find affordable outfits for job interviews and for work.  Contributions of plus-size clothing are particularly welcome, in my experience.

Um that was a reference to the Dress For Success program Luke Reichle was supporting, not the costumes Stana and Nathan were sporting. In case it wasn't obvious.

Sarah L. Schlomer ‏@skatingpt  

@RedCarpetLuke How did the cost of the space suit compare to the average cost of a Rick Castle outfit? (can't compare KBex--Burberry)

Luke Reichle

‏@RedCarpetLuke

@skatingpt I am prevented from revealing the cost of the space suits-Let's just say that #Castle won't be getting any new suits for a while.

Now is that a good thing or a bad thing? ;)  

Good if new suits = more suits by Luke.  Bad if new suits can actually be from Burberry.  I will never understand why Castle can't shop at Burberry too.   Sounds like Luke isn't just bad at tailoring, but also bad at budget distribution.

Didn't they just rent the spacesuits from props warehouses?  Don't see how that would have been so very expensive unless Luke made some expensive additions to them.  They were OK but I can't say they stood out for me aesthetically. 

If that's true, it was a giant waste of wardrobe resources IMO. Perhaps they can pick up another product placement sponsorship to help get Castle/Nathan into some Burberry? ;) 

I thought the spacesuits were left over from Firefly? If that's true ... and they weren't made specifically for this episode ... why did they cost so much?

And scratch that - why are they even thinking about making spacesuits specifically for this episode? Is there not a costume warehouse in Hollywood that doesn't have spacesuits they could borrow? I mean, with Gravity and Intersteller done filming couldn't they have pulled some spacesuits from somewhere just to use for 8 days? It's not like they haven't made some movies about space recently.

I quite like Beckett's look in this location photo for an upcoming episode. Light and bright. 

God I want that leather jacket so bad, love the colour and I want the scarf too. I posted that tweet on the media thread mainly because of that jacket. *sigh* 

Long cut leather biker jacket with asymmetrical zippers at worn in The Wrong Stuff. 

Design: Allsaints

Price: ? sold out but if you go on their website they're retailing around $550.

Edited by verdana

To me that looks like Stana hasn't gotten to wardrobe yet. I feel like those are her clothes, but you never know!

Well they filmed that after the other stuff that was filmed yesterday so she might have gotten cold and decided to wrap a scarf around herself. Nice scarf though!

Well they filmed that after the other stuff that was filmed yesterday so she might have gotten cold and decided to wrap a scarf around herself. Nice scarf though!

Great scarf AND great jacket! I just haven't seen Luke put her in many scarves.... Tamala is wearing her badge though, so maybe? (Meaning a short break in filming...)

I couldn't find it on the website.

Too bad I actually really loved that coat.

Sorry, I slipped up I should have said jackets similar to that one are retailing at AllSaints for around $550, I couldn't see it either when I visited the page but I've discovered looking at another site that it's an 'Asker' Biker Jacket but alas no longer available. It was much cheaper too at $362! 

Edited by verdana