Type keyword(s) to search

The Castle Fashion Thread: The Good, The Bad, The (Very) Ugly!

WendyCR72

I figured I would make this thread since it seems that the costume design on this show has always been a hot topic, positively and negatively. And so as not to clog up other threads with the admittedly amusing critiques, I figure they should have their own place of honor!

So, have at it!

I think we should start off with this recent ensemble worn by Castle on location recently, that ugly green jacket. Or is it growing on me and it's not as bad as I first thought? 

And a picture of him removing it. Any time Nathan takes off one of his jackets he wears on this show I'm pleased. 

And another outfit worn by Nathan recently on set, traditional blue button down (check), jacket (check).

Angie Rey @cantidiamore  ·  Jul 30
The thing that impresses me most about the #Castle cast is their ability to wear coats in a city where it is never necessary. #sodamnhotout

So true.

I do like the guy in blue - the colour suits him - but I wish they'd dress him with more imagination and style given the character. I think Samantha was right they blow the budget on Beckett. The guy's got cash, good taste (or so we've been told) and access to the best tailors in town if he wanted to use them but you would never know it looking at him now.

I fear no change on the sartorial front for Richard Castle next season just more of the same, hiding the guy in endless layers and ill fitting jackets and huge coats. 

Edited by verdana

Thanks for putting the 'very' in the ugly, Wendy!  I get the feeling we're going to need it unfortunately. ;)

that ugly green jacket. Or is it growing on me

It's the fungus jacket! :P  Better from some angles than others, but still not ideal in my opinion.  Let's hope they captured it from the better angles on camera.

And a picture of him removing it. Any time Nathan takes off one of his jackets he wears on this show I'm pleased

Have to take what I can get since I don't think we'll see him removing more than his jacket anytime soon. ;)

I really wouldn't mind a fun, fluffy scene where Beckett buys him a piece of clothing or an accessory because she thinks it looks great on him. Or they could discuss/argue over their sartorial choices.  Just an example of domestic stuff couples do.  I would take it over more wedding planning.

And did we ever get an answer to the boxers or briefs etc. underwear question for both? :P

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

They film in LA but pretend it's NYC, where there are four seasons, so the jackets and coats are normal, even necessary, three-season wear. But NYC gets very hot and very humid in the summer, I understand, so if they are pretending a case is happening in summer, the jackets would be less necessary.

Also, based only on my own observations here in Ottawa Canada, the normal summer office wear has moved to either shirt and tie, no jacket or shirt and jacket, no tie.

They never have winter cases, of course.

The dumbest outfit was the one set in LA where Castle not only wore a jacket throughout , but also wore it poolside when Beckett wore that strange bathing suit.

Was Luke trying to match them in ugly shirts? That & the LA pool scene seem to rival for ugliest couple outfit.

Last season poor Jon was getting the weird plaid jackets. I think one of them sort of match Castle's hs principal's one.

• Love 1

Today, I posted this over at the Sundae Ladies:

I've been comparing videos from last year's Nerd HQ with this year's and y'know what? I think we've been unfair to Luke. There's no way he dresses NF for Comic Con, but if you look at the end of sessions from last year's Nerd HQ where NF is lined up on stage with Zach Levi and others, you can ask yourself, "which of these guys is not like the others?" Them in their slim pants and t-shirts, him in baggy pants and loose overshirt. That's the way I dress when I'm feeling bulgy, and I think it's his preference, too; not just for comfort but for camouflage. This year, slimmer and fitter, he's leaving those plaids at home more often.

If Luke is dressing Stana in designer threads because it's her preference, perhaps he swaddles the PS in shirts and jackets because he asks for it?

In Sundae Ladies' parlance "the PS" is "the Patron Saint", i.e. Nathan Fillion. Could the ultimate reason for the layers and layers be NF's self-consciousness and Luke's cooperation? Think about the strip poker scene where he kept his shirt on and you have to conclude he's hiding something

However, a character like Castle, even if he were self-conscious about a thickening middle would dress with more panache and hip-ness than he does. Just because he's rich, why would he want to fit in with men 30 years older? Castle supposedly lives in a SoHo loft in Manhattan, which even now—ultra-gentrified as it is—has a lingering reputation for avant-garde glamour and art-fart originality. At the very minimum, Castle, being who he is, would have a snarky t-shirt collection. He could have had a cult following by now as fans relished the juxtapositions of shirt and situation. Ah well.

Love 'im anyway , character AND actor.

• Love 1

There are advantages to Castle filming in LA and having a fake NYC setting, though. Because being the L&O junkie I am, either the original or CI (with the occasional SVU), I cannot tell you how cold *I* have felt for the actors in some episodes where they are in very, VERY ugly parkas, hats, or what have you because it looked SO damned cold. You know, seeing their breath and all.

So to tie it to this thread: At least the cast IS spared from the real bulky winter wear which, while totally necessary in REAL NYC, is not needed here. (But to be honest? I bet the actors didn't care what they looked like or if they looked like the Michelin Man (for the non-US peeps here, here he is , a tire mascot), as long as they were kept warm!)

As of now, looking at pics of NF, though, I don't think he looks overweight. And not to steal the Friends joke/line, but the camera does add 10 lb or so... Add in that Nathan is now in his 40s, and some just...thicken. As Cher once sang, "If I could turn back time..."

Could the ultimate reason for the layers and layers be NF's self-consciousness and Luke's cooperation?

Even if it were true, it's Luke's responsibility as a professional designer to make him look slimmer with the help of the right clothing, and not even bigger and bulkier than he is. It CAN be done actually, there's no rocket science in that. Hint -- baggy ill-fitting jackets with enormous lapels and huge square pockets won't make any figure look slimmer. And NF actually doesn't strike me as a man who would insist on his fashion choices; he admitted himself that he had "fashion blindness" and was eager to follow even his assistant's fashion guidance. One might suppose that he would definitely trust the professional "fashion guru" whose job is to dress him on set. 

As of now, looking at pics of NF, though, I don't think he looks overweight. And not to steal the Friends joke/line, but the camera does add 10 lb or so... Add in that Nathan is now in his 40s, and some just...thicken.

I don't think he's overweight either. He used to be a bit, somewhere in Season 4 — maybe it had something to do with his injury and/or medications he probably was on, who knows — but not anymore. I think he looks just fine, at least for the role he's playing, i.e. a writer in his forties. Granted, he doesn't look as wealthy, suave, stylish, metrosexual writer in his forties anymore, but that, to my opinion, is primarily on Luke, who not only has absolutely no idea how to dress a big guy like Nathan, but also seems to have no sense whatsoever of the character of Richard Castle. 

Edited by Karen
  • Love 1

I've seen NF's Nerd HQ panels from the last year and this year and, frankly, don't see any principal difference in his clothing (except no NB sneakers this time around, thank God). And I'm actually not sure he's slimmer this summer than the previous one, he puts on weight mostly during the filming. IDK if he's the self-conscious type - he doesn't leave this impression IMO, mostly he just seem to be "fashion blind" by his own definition and going for whatever feels comfortable. I've seen enough pics of him in baggy jeans and loose tees (that he wears for years) from the pre-Castle days to think that it's just his choice, not something forced on him by circumstances. What I do know though, is that the minimum of what Luke has to do is put his client in something that fits and flatters (not to say something that suites his character description). And he doesn't do any of those things, in fact he does the opposite on all three points IMO. 

I think Nathan is self-conscious about the weight he has clearly gained (though he is fitter now than he was when it was really apparent, due to some medication as well maybe) hence the black and baggy clothes.  I understand that it's more challenging to dress an actor with fluctuating weight and who isn't the typical Hollywood actor with rock hard abs, but I believe that a professional costume designer should be more than up to the task of making an actor look good, no matter his/her body shape and size!  (Just saying that the previous Castle costume designer, Sal, who is also the head of the costume guild apparently, dresses Mindy Kaling on her show and she is not the typical stick figure thin of a Hollywood actress, and he manages to infuse her character with her own distinctive style.)  That's what they have professionals for.  Even if Nathan himself favours plaid or baggy clothes or NB sneakers, it should be the costume desginer's job to determine what is most appropriate for the character, not the actor.  Especially if the actor isn't a fashion conscious person, the costume designer is relied upon to know best what would look best and look most suitable for the character.  Asking for actors' input is one thing, but the ultimate choice should be made by the person with the professional expertise and driven by the characters' needs first and foremost.  Same as with any actor-writer collaboration.  I don't think Nathan necessarily loved the tightpants on Firefly before they became iconic either but that didn't get it changed to baggy pants!

I feel Luke is sometimes too driven by his high fashion preferences (which may or may not suit the character on any occasion) and possibly the actors' preferences as well.  His taste for men's fashion also seems to be more inclined towards men of a certain age (some of whom dress very well but doesn't mean Castle should be dressed in a certain way that ages him) judging from his choice of fabrics for Castle's suits etc.  But his biggest problem is he doesn't know how to dress a large man like NF in the most flattering way possible, and also his tailoring is very poor.  He shouldn't insist on making Castle's suits himself if he can't do it well.  If NF has gotten thinner or fatter on any given day, he should be making adjustments to his suits and jackets accordingly.  Also, I don't think he's given enough consideration to who Castle is as a character.  Castle's a millionaire metrosexual who may have grown up poor but then became very rich.  He can be vain and care about his appearance and public image, he likes the finer things in life and should know quality when he sees it.  All that should be taken into account when choosing his clothes.  Beckett has her own story as well, and I'm not entirely sure how that wound up meaning stylish designer coats and high heels every day from the time we first met her.

That hideous swimsuit and haute couture wedding dress (that was just not right for Beckett) are the biggest examples of Luke's excesses in my opinion, when he let his eye for fashion overtake any consideration for the character.  Not to mention I thought both pieces were not flattering even on a model figure like Stana no matter whatever their fashion credentials.

I do actually like Castle's button downs most of the time, and they fit him quite well, but I don't think they are made by Luke.  Nice as he looks in his button downs, some variety would be good though i'm not confident about Luke venturing away from safe ground.

It CAN be done actually, there's no rocket science in that. Hint -- baggy ill-fitting jackets with enormous lapels and huge square pockets won't make any figure look slimmer.

Yes!  Why the 4 big pockets on his jackets all the time?!  I'm no fashionista and I know that makes you look bigger.  Lapels are either way too big or tiny (in the latest green jacket).  Also not a fan of all the detailing 'flourishes' Luke adds to Castle's suits like epaulets and on the cuffs. Just keep the suit looking sharp with clean, simple lines, and cut it well!   Why is it so hard to get this right?  (It's not like it's the writing. ;)) 

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

If Luke's brief was to dress Nathan to resemble a mid fifties, suburban school teacher with no interest in fashion then Luke's doing a fantastic job but he isn't.

I have wondered if the fluctuations in Nathan's body shape since about S3 have caused TPTB to make certain adjustments (the strip poker scene comes to mind but there have been others) where they've just decided to work around the issue and it's not even a topic for discussion. 

But even if Nathan was self conscious and has possibly made that known, Luke's job is surely to dress him appropriately for the character and there are more than enough big guys out there who are dressed very well indeed that he could take inspiration from. 

mad maverick has touched on similar thoughts I've had about Luke being too swayed by high fashion and letting that affect his judgement when it comes to dressing certain members of the cast. Jon and Stana have started to wear outfits that are unsuitable given the character's they're playing as far as I'm concerned. One top she wore last season made her look she was had forgotten to change from the night before when she'd been out to some bar or club.  

What is with the long shirt under a denim jacket look that that I'm seeing her in around the precinct last season? That's not work suitable attire given the character's job and position as lead detective.

I'd have sent her packing if I was her boss and she'd turned up wearing either of those outfits in the office and told her to go home and get changed. She's a cop in a position of responsibility who has to deal with the public quite often, she's not hidden away in a cubicle out of sight, so I expect to see her looking like she's professional and wear clothing appropriate for that position. That means no denim and no designer tops with perforated v necked panels thank you.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Luke is on the wrong show, in my opinion, if high fashion is what he loves. That or he needs a side project for that outlet. Luke is a professional costume designer he should be able to dress Castle greatly no matter what size Nathan is.  Follow the template of who the characters are .. Castle has been called metrosexual, or hinted to that, and the way Luke dresses him? I cannot tell.   Think I've been spoiled by the brilliant Lyn Paolo [costume designer; SCANDAL] .. she has spoken ad nauseam about how she dresses the characters to not only fit the personalities but the profession and allows the clothes to tell a story all by themselves. I can watch the show and the lead character, Olivia Pope, and know by the color she's wearing or the pattern or the coat and know what mood she's in. And know what it will project for the character for the episode.   No, I don't expect all that from Luke or Castle but I do expect some .. I.E: the clothes fitting the profession of the character and the history of the character. 

When Nathan's clothes are made, as Castle, how the hell can it be this wrong?! I know talking about clothes may seem shallow but, in my opinion, it's not. The clothes, if done wrong, can distract from the dialogue. From the scene. 

• Love 2

I don't think it's shallow at all, for me it's common sense. If I'm watching a show about cops or medical staff I expect to see them dressing a certain way given what I see in the real world, same for lawyers having worked with them for years. Tell me a character is a high flying lawyer but dress them in something that sticks out as not in keeping then it's going to distract me and at worst totally take me out of the scene. That shouldn't happen, as a showrunner your primary aim is surely to want the audience to be concentrating on the story and the believability of the characters within it, I shouldn't have to fight past poor clothing choices/make up etc in order to do so.     

Edited by verdana

Stana Katic through the years

That nose job she had done early on made such a difference, I prefer her hair darker too and either cut short or shoulder length, I don't like her hair too light or too long and straight - it tends to drag her face down.  I'm also not that big a fan of her hair with a centre parting, I don't find it particularly flattering on anyone. 

For Beckett the 2014 length there or shorter would be good but go darker.

Edited by verdana

I'm a costume designer, and like Samantha said, it can be REALLY distracting when they are just not right.  I try to not think about it, but Castle sure makes it hard.  I can dress my own children better than some of the outfits on this show!  I love when costumes inform the viewer, and add subtle layers of meaning.  On Castle, all they do is make me go "huh?"

• Love 2

That means no denim and no designer tops with perforated v necked panels thank you.

Absolutely. I worked at one point for the Commissioner's Office of the RCMP, in a very menial post, and when I wore jeans one Friday, I was told quietly that was not allowed. (We were encouraged to wear red on Fridays, however, as a sign of support for the officers in uniform.)

In contrast, most government offices here have little or no dress codes. I've worked with people wearing everything from wifebeaters to burquas.

Outside of shoes and watches, Nathan has no idea about clothes. Which may be why he still dresses the way he did the day he left university to work in New York. Jewel Staite is quite funny about how proud he was to buy that pink flowered shirt for something like five bucks. Not to mention the Green Lantern underpants.

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:40am
Post Options
Post by Jenski on Apr 24, 2005 at 11:40am
Our intrepid reporter, Tzegha, has been on the trail and has discovered the answer to the mystery of Nathan's apparent addiction to *those* floral shirts!!

From her I-Con report:

forums.prospero.com/foxfirefly/messages?msg=21694.241

I finally got to ask her [Jewel] what the deal was with Nathan's shirts, especially the flower ones. Apparently our Cappy likes a bargain, and has a fave store that he adores shopping at, and is very proud of his 15 dollar shirts and is constantly trying to wrangle Jewel into getting knock-offs "for only ten dollars!" there. Ray decided that he and Nathan would enjoy shopping together. Ah, sweet man-love :P

And apparently he has *several* floral shirts and loves them to bits :P

This is Downtown Tzegha Brown, off the record and on the Q-T. Up next, the weather.

Darn. Thought I had a photo of it on my pinterest board , but no.

That means no denim and no designer tops with perforated v necked panels thank you.

Absolutely. I worked at one point for the Commissioner's Office of the RCMP, in a very menial post, and when I wore jeans one Friday, I was told quietly that was not allowed. (We were encouraged to wear red on Fridays, however, as a sign of support for the officers in uniform.)

In contrast, most government offices here have little or no dress codes. I've worked with people wearing everything from wifebeaters to burquas.

Outside of shoes and watches, Nathan has no idea about clothes. Which may be why he still dresses the way he did the day he left university to work in New York. Jewel Staite is quite funny about how proud he was to buy that pink flowered shirt for something like five bucks. Not to mention the Green Lantern underpants.

Yeah Nathan doesn't seem like a guy who seems to have sleepless nights about his wardrobe, I wouldn't be surprised if the doesn't care two hoots about what Luke puts him in whether it's working for the character or not. Stana on the other hand definitely contributes to what ends up on Beckett and I'm not sure if that's necessarily always a good thing given some of the results. 

And it must be something to do with working for the government because when my mother went to the tax office for a meeting she came home shocked that the guy who spoke to her was dressed with no smart shirt, tie or jacket to his name and it wasn't even dress down Friday (which is really popular over here). In States offices here it's dress down Friday every day apparently for many.

However if you're working in a position of authority and control like the police etc I do expect people to be dressed appropriately.

This article made me smile. 

New NYPD chief wants to clean up cops' sloppy style 

I thought this was interesting, a professional costume designer asking on a police forum what detectives would wear.

I liked this response:

Our Investigations Unit was slacks, tie & sport coat for men. Women's dress code was similar. Fridays we could wear jeans & a collared shirt. Shoes, you should be able to run after a suspect. I have to admit that the actors in NYPD Blues were pretty accurate. As a female, my clothes were professional but allowed me room to work. I had to carry my gun (for me, on my belt), OC, handcuffs & baton. (All required by my G.O.'s)

I recommend that you do a ride along with an agency. As an LEO, I appreciate you making it as realistic as possible.

I highlighted that bit because that's another thing that's been mentioned, Beckett and her high heels, she's never running in those babies for very long. And the actress doesn't - she takes them off and wears flatter shoes based on one BTS clip I saw. Luckily they're usually kept under wraps so you don't often see them although Beckett's love of high heels has been spoken of on the show of course. I  suspect Katic wears them because Fillion is tall and it gets her up closer to his eye level, makes it better for filming and it also makes Beckett look more commanding on screen. However, sometimes there's has been the odd time when I can spot them and to see her tottering along delicately because they're just so high has been distracting. 

One of the people responding said that they the detectives that chose to not wear a coat and tie had far more trouble with people physically resisting arrest because their style of casual dress did not give them a look of authority so people argued with them more, I can totally believe that. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Ryan (here with Espo and Kate) dresses very professionally, Seamus can really wear a suit especially a three piece. Luke has been far more consistent with him and even his more casual numbers have still looked good. 

Espo is always dressed more casually but sometimes Luke goes a bit too far and he's put Jon in some things that could give Nathan a run for his money they're awful. 

Then there was that checked jacket he wore one episode last season (can't remember which) that hurt my eyes. I can't remember a thing about that scene I was transfixed by it. 

Edited by verdana
I'm a costume designer, and like Samantha said, it can be REALLY distracting when they are just not right.  I try to not think about it, but Castle sure makes it hard.  I can dress my own children better than some of the outfits on this show!  I love when costumes inform the viewer, and add subtle layers of meaning.  On Castle, all they do is make me go "huh?"

Nice to hear a professional opinion (especially when it backs up your own, lol).

Pure speculation but I wonder if the big jackets are all a Nathan choice? I think mentioned it when we talked about other things but sometimes the actors run a muck. It's not how it should be...but it is.

He never wears them in real life, so I doubt it. I'm telling you - as femmefan said - this guy's been dressing in the same baggy jeans/loose tees/shirts since way before Castle. Sometimes literally the same, lol, some of the shirts he still wears can be traced all the way back to captain Hammer days - they just pop on photos and you think "Oh, so THAT's what he was wearing on that Twitter pic last Sunday. C'mon, this thing deserves retirement by any human standard", lol.

As for actors influence I remember some Castle interview with Luke (it was on video I think) where he outright said that everyone has some input except Nathan who is totally uninterested in clothes and "trusts the professionals" (heh). Stana of course has the biggest input, but SD and JH also have suggestions from time to time. I don't remember what he said about Susan, Molly and Tamala, but I'm pretty sure they also have input, especially SS. The only one, apparently, who has no clue and no care is NF.

• Love 1

Then there was that checked jacket he wore one episode last season (can't remember which) that hurt my eyes. I can't remember a thing about that scene I was transfixed by it. 

Talking of checkered jackets. They are currently airing reruns of season 3 here and this jacket is a no go for me.

What bothers me about Nathan's jackets is that the sleeves are always too long. If they are tailor-made why the hell do they have to be that long ?

Nice to hear a professional opinion (especially when it backs up your own, lol).

Yeah, I figured you would want me to chime in.  Although I work in live theater, the same stuff applies for screen work.  It seriously bugs when you know how EASY it is to pay attention to little details.  I carefully consider the color of every piece- is it a color the character would wear?  Does it compliment the actor/actress?  Does it coordinate with what others are wearing and with the set?  Does it reflect the mood of the scene(s)?  Then there is print/texture to consider, and weight (both weather appropriate and some fabrics are literally HEAVY), and fabric durability.  Would this character wear something as fragile as silk or as rugged as corduroy?  And then we focus on the cut/silhouette.  When a character is active, the cut has to allow for movement, but you don't have to go baggy for that to happen! You have to make sure hems on sleeves and pants land exactly where you want them and won't ride up or drag.  We also focus on collars (which, by the way, ought to be well pressed) and lapels, cuffs, and other bits of design frippery that help set the correct time and location for the scene. Followed by carefully making sure the fit is spot on. Then of course footwear.  We won't even go there with Castle!  Sometimes the footwear is the most expensive part of a costume, because it has to fit the character, the actor/actress, the costume, and the scene.  They have to fit comfortably and allow movement without risk of falling.  I guess with TV you can edit around twisting ankles or mis-steps, but the shoes should still fit the character and scene.  As in, who wears heels to a crime scene?

• Love 2

Thanks Sabs for your professional input, I'm totally jealous, what a fabulous job to have. It must be a such a fulfilling experience. I listened to an interview of Luke's once where he was saying all the right things about getting the look right for the character etc but I don't see that attention translating on to my screen each week.  It seems so obvious to me some of the things that they're getting wrong I often wonder how do they miss them? Perhaps complacency has set in and they presume the fans don't care. May be it doesn't bother a lot of people but it bothers me when they can't get the details right because it wouldn't take much. 

It's definitely lots of fun, but it can be a drag, too.  I mean, have you met theater people?  Talk about drama!  (Ha, pun totally intended, but totally true anyway.) 

And there is a lot of tedium.  I HATE making multiples of the same piece.  I like desigining.  The actual sewing is BORING.  And then there are the boring fitting details like placing darts, adjusting hems.  People change shape on a nearly constant basis.  It's exhausting.   Maybe they just gave up with the fitting for Nathan.

However, sometimes there's has been the odd time when I can spot them and to see her tottering along delicately because they're just so high has been distracting.

They had Beckett say onscreen that she likes wearing heels because they make her taller, which gives an impression of more power. But there's never been a point in the show where Beckett fails to catch her suspect because of her shoes, so I really don't have a problem with them.

Her clothes usually look fine to me for a cop as well.  Sometimes they look a little casual, but the same is true for Esposito.  Actually, Espo always looks pretty casual to me, so if we're judging professionalism I think he's a worse offendor than Beckett.  Beckett is much more varied.  I think in her job she's sometimes at crime scenes, sometimes questioning people, or sometimes just doing things in the precinct.  I can see her altering her wardrobe to fit what she's doing that day, but I'm thinking she doesn't always know what her day will consist of so that may not be a great excuse.

• Love 1

All I can think of Espo is the hideous jacket he had on in Smells Like Teen Spirit. Still have nightmares about that one.

That's the one it could have been, I wish I could find a picture of it...actually on second thoughts no I don't.

What bothers me about Nathan's jackets is that the sleeves are always too long. If they are tailor-made why the hell do they have to be that long ?

That's what gets me about them too - the sleeves - it's the first thing I look at and sometimes the length of the jacket looks odd too, Luke must be fibbing because I can't believe it's custom made, because whoever is doing the work obviously hasn't got a clue.  

• Love 1

I wonder about fibbing too. For example, why spend a lot of money on a $30,000 ring (was that the price?) when you can buy a honking big rhinestone ring at Shopper's Drug Mart for $10? And buy three or four or ten, in case one gets damaged or lost? To say nothing of how happy the insurers for the show would be.

Fit on a garment is always important, but the actual fabric only has to look good on screen, not meet couture standards. The camera doesn't care if the hem on a chiffon gown is handrolled or machineserged. Take a look at how good the low end clothes look in the pictures in the Sears catalogue, compared to reality.

Fit and movement, yes. High end fabrics and finishes ? Fakeable.

They'd do better by Nathan by going to the local Big'n'Tall Emporium and having their tailors fit him. At least they would know the body type.

Also, more veeneck tees. Pretty please with sugar on it?

They'd do better by Nathan by going to the local Big'n'Tall Emporium and having their tailors fit him. At least they would know the body type.

Also, more veeneck tees. Pretty please with sugar on it?

Yeah that's what I think every time fans tweet Luke asking where Castle's clothes come from and he trots out "they're custom made" line. Just take him to the store for God's sake and get him fitted they'd do a better job.

Oh and yes to the t-shirts, I miss those so much. 

Edited by verdana

I like the safari jackets on Nathan.....the one he wore for the handshake like a kiss scene in Season 5....I used to know what episode that was, but don't now.  

Maybe it's because I live in the grunge capitol of the world, but the sort of rumpled look is my fave.

Nathan just tweeted:

So proud of our @RedCarpetLuke in Emmy Magazine. Looking good is his business.

Sigh.

But making you look good isn't his. ;)

It's nice for Luke that Nathan and Stana are generous with their praise for him and they likely have a good personal relationship, but sorry, I'd rather stay silent than compliment when I feel it's undeserved.

I will say the tux Luke dressed Nathan in for last year's photoshoot and at the Emmys didn't seem too bad (especially compared to his other efforts at dressing him!).

Is he really getting kudos in that magazine for that dress?!

ETA: Here's the magazine article.  No mention of that dress.

http://www.emmys.com/news/mix/styling-stars-luke-reichle

I agree that characters should be defined visually but has he really done that on Castle, especially with Castle?  I'd say he's taken some risks with Beckett (e.g. the tie) but not so much with Castle, or anyone else.  As for use of colour, I'd say Martha always stands out and Beckett too, from time to time, but often I find it's dark wardrobe (all those dark plaid patterns) merging with a dimly lit precinct.  Should we be thankful that the guys aren't wearing hats yet?  But he may stick one on Esposito if he fancies himself a hipster. ;)

Has Luke ever dressed Stana for the Emmys?  I suppose he's dressed the cast for the PCAs and Paleys etc.

Edited by madmaverick

ETA: Here's the magazine article.  No mention of that dress.

http://www.emmys.com/news/mix/styling-stars-luke-reichle

Thank God for small mercies.

Thanks for the link mad maverick to that article and the chuckles.

"this wizard of wardrobe" 

He's a wizard all right, it's magic how he transforms Nathan each week into Frumpy!Castle.

Luke Reichle @RedCarpetLuke  ·  4h

Great set visit with @roxy_estre  @Em_Rob95 and tour guide #CaptGates @btwprod on the set of @castle_ABC https://twitter.com/RedCarpetLuke/status/497408116095336448

That fan who was pictured with Stana which I posted in the media thread obviously got the full tour which was nice of them. Someone on the replies mentions Penny looks great, I think that suit looks awful actually and ill fitting, doesn't do her any favours whatsoever.

Edited by verdana

Have to agree with Luke's wizard credentials, it's got to be magic that gets him through Castle seasons and into Emmy magazines (I have no clue how exclusive and influential it is though). I lost all hope of understanding what his deal is, long time ago. May be he's just a really nice guy and charms everyone, even his victims, into submission and Twitter praise? Some timely put expellicharmus spell and a forty-second cousin in the Ministry of Magic can do wonders indeed.

• Love 2

Already mentioned in the other thread, but what Nathan wore in his ice bucket challenge video was a far, far better Hamptons look, and just reminded me how awful Luke's choices were in comparison.  Bowling shirt and lizard print shirt.  I didn't think Stana's Hamptons wardrobe was that great either.  Thanks, Luke.  We get 1 episode in the Hamptons (OK, 2.. kind of ;)) and he couldn't get a different sort of look right.  Not that his choices for the L.A. episode were any better.  It's like he dresses them even worse when they are out of NYC.

http://stanakaticland.tumblr.com/post/94953504163/icebucketchallenge-from-elizabethbanks-lets-do

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma5q0oQRKw1r1rzuao3_1280.jpg

On the other hand, speaking of Nathan as being fashion-challenged, someone should have mentioned to him that white fabrics when when go translucent. Answering the question, briefs or boxers.

Anyone know where I can get a life? EBay? Etsy?

Nathan, Stana and Dana. Oh those were the days when Nathan was dressed wonderfully and Stana professionally and hell I just love Nathan's profile in this. *sigh*

Someone in the notes summed up my immediate thoughts asking if someone could tweet Luke and tell him to and make Castle wear these pants and shirt again. I love those sweaters he used to wear and the great fitting jeans now it's an endless series of button downs even when he's supposedly "casual" at home.

Edited by verdana

Brought this over here since we've got a thread for it.

He favours the flamboyant?  But that's not to my taste and it doesn't fit in with my idea of Beckett's tastes either.  When does she ever wear sparkly things in the wardrobe that Luke chooses for her? ;)  Give me simple and elegant any day.

He shouldn't be letting his own more flamboyant tastes influence how he dresses the characters (which I think he does) and if he can't stop himself then they shouldn't have hired him if he can't control himself. It's the gold detailing that ruins that number for me. The lace saddle bags on the old dress were hideous so I guess it made that one worse but neither of those dresses feels like Beckett to me and that's the key thing.

Just posting a reminder of that monstrosity Luke created, those of a sensitive disposition should take care.

There is so much wrong with it I don't know where to start but I'll give it a go.

- The colour, what bride wants to be walking around in gray? 

- The sparkly lace detailing over the bodice and arms, reminds me of Vegas, tacky.

- The lace skirts that make her look a mile wide, the absolute worst. You could hide a couple of bridesmaids under them. What bride wants to be made to look big around the hips on her wedding day? No one Luke! 

Luke said it would cost around $30K to produce, that's thirty grand too much, the nadir of his work on Castle to date.

But the issue is not the horrible dress, if I thought Beckett genuinely went for this kind of thing I would have been okay about it but this is the last thing I believe would Beckett would choose and that's the problem - it doesn't fit the character. So big fat fail from Luke there when it comes to doing his job. 

Edited by verdana

Stana Katic @Stana_Katic  ·  4h

My sweet @RedCarpetLuke in Emmy Magazine X

Stop encouraging him Stana. 

There's that horrible picture of Nathan dressed as Elvis in that picture of the article, what a lovely advert for his work. 

Edited by verdana