Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

S47.E01: Owen Wilson / Kasey Musgraves

Recommended Posts

On 10/2/2021 at 11:13 PM, Izzy85 said:

I've never seen Kasey Musgraves live, is she nude? Is that a regular thing? Lol

I don't know what it says about me that I didn't remotely notice this.  And I listened to the whole song.  I saw what you guys said here and went back to see for myself.  I guess that speaks to my "staunch heterosexuality" as George Costanza once said. Not that I would ever want to brag about that.

I was actually like hmm, I like her, so it's too bad she did such a low key performance.  LOL.   (She has said that this is her "divorce album".) 

I have no idea why Colin's joke about Macklemore being fired from Olive Garden made me laugh so much and I love how Che remarked on a "painful" reminder that Obama is half white.

That Aristotle guy is so handsome.  Even his name is handsome.  Reddit says he is the first Iranian man to be cast on the show.

On 10/3/2021 at 7:44 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I too am skipping next week.

ME TOO UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH

On 10/3/2021 at 10:06 AM, Blakeston said:

I also didn't care for Owen Wilson, but that's not surprising, because I've never cared for him. His public persona is so smarmy. And I'll admit it - I hate looking at his mutilated nose. No actress could leave her nose broken like that, without being completely defined by it. (And it would very likely prevent her from having a career in show business at all, unless she could sing like Streisand.)\

Cameron Diaz is exactly that.  She broke her nose while surfing and apparently has broken it 4 times.  She voluntarily left the business in 2014.  I would be happy if she made movies forever.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I really liked his delivery of the line, “Let’s not guess,” in that sketch.  It did make me chuckle whenever he said it.

That was great. He did well in everything except Biden, in my opinion.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

To be fair, neither Cameron Diaz nor Jennifer Grey have ever had a nose that looked even half as busted as Owen Wilson's.

Cameron Diaz never could have had gotten sex symbol roles with a nose like Owen's, and Jennifer Grey would never have been cast as a love interest for Patrick Swayze.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, khyber said:

Guess you are too young to remember John Goodman as Linda Tripp?

Or Tracy Morgan as Starr Jones.

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, SHD said:

Was Kate McKinnon in anything or was she MIA for this show?

I'm surprised they didn’t redo the cast intros for the opening credits.

 

         Kate Is Working On That Exotic Tiger OR What Ever IT Is Called ! Kate Will Come Back In A Couple OF Months ! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, there are a lot of new cast members this season.  Is this the most they've ever had?

Thought it was a fairly weak show.  The Cars voiceover skit was probably the only one I really liked.

These people have such political blinders on, it's unbelievable.  Biden's first nine months were full of probably the most comedy gold of any nine months in history, but they won't skewer him so they can't find anything to make fun of?  Are they for real?  Didn't care for the new guy doing the Biden impersonation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

For a few moments I thought it was Steve Carell doing Biden but then decided it was Owen because of the nose. Bah, not enough Melissa, as usual. I became a big fan last year because of her podcast (videocast?) and a Zoom session of drawing with Melissa, who is also an artist. One of her main impressions is Owen so I was wondering if they would somehow fit her in doing that. The only thing I can recall liking him in was "Zoolander." While some cast members are underused, it seems like Ego is in every. single. sketch, even more than Cecily. I never appreciated Heidi's talent until she played the old male security guard in that parody of Michael Jordan's documentary. Beck's gone? Noooo!

Melissa's brilliance at impersonation hasn't remotely been mined by SNL. BFD, AOC. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jody said:

Kate Is Working On That Exotic Tiger OR What Ever IT Is Called !

I'm embarrassed to admit I'm looking forward to this. It might be hilarious or it might be terrible, but I doubt if it will be boring. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Wow, there are a lot of new cast members this season.  Is this the most they've ever had?

Thought it was a fairly weak show.  The Cars voiceover skit was probably the only one I really liked.

These people have such political blinders on, it's unbelievable.  Biden's first nine months were full of probably the most comedy gold of any nine months in history, but they won't skewer him so they can't find anything to make fun of?  Are they for real?  Didn't care for the new guy doing the Biden impersonation.

I'd like to hear more about that alleged "comedy gold". 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I'd like to hear more about that alleged "comedy gold". 

Even Colin Jost said at the close of last season that a Biden presidency would be a comedy goldmine.  C'mon man, Biden's hilarious.  

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Even Colin Jost said at the close of last season that a Biden presidency would be a comedy goldmine.  C'mon man, Biden's hilarious.  

If it really is the most comedy gold in any nine month period in history then there should be plenty of examples that blow away the Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc. presidencies.

In any case, SNL might be going back to the old standby of Dems = infighting incompetents and GOP = evil.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Melissa's brilliance at impersonation hasn't remotely been mined by SNL. BFD, AOC. 

She had about five seconds in the school board sketch looking like, I think, a ragdoll. A few months ago I commented on her YouTube channel that there needs to be a "Win a Friend Date with Melissa" where we just hang out in her apartment and do arts and crafts, and I get to hug her adorable dog! Wondering how much extra Lorne paid those such as Kate and Cecily to stay for this anniversary season. Is Mikey Day still there? I always love his incredulous reactions, "Oh my god, that is not a thing!" 

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, I'm not with this new Joe Biden so far. Too much of George Bush's voice in there to me

Great take IMO on Sinema. Manchin, meh, but his lines were on target. Not sure why we still need anyone to play ex-Gov. Cuomo.

Bowen Yang graduated to the regular cast! Yay!

I don't watch The Talk. Was the The Talking skit remotely close to what happened when the VP was supposed to appear recently?

Elon Musk's spaceship looked like a Romulan Warbird compared to Jeff Bezos' wee penis rocket.

Segregate by six feet. Yikes. Bowen in those gray dreadlocks. Heh.

My local NBC station (West coast feed) cut into Pete's WE bit with a NASCAR commercial. I looked at it on YouTube to see what was missing. Gone were most of the gay references related to Pete's Met Gala outfit. That segment didn't seem particularly outrageous to me. <shrugs>

Oh dear, Nana was an under-the-radar POS who apparently was a fangirl of famous POSes. And geez, I hope SNL didn't have to pay royalties to R. Kelly for using parts his songs. I can't fathom why they'd give him any support.

Quote

ME TOO UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH

Same.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Oh dear, Nana was an under-the-radar POS who apparently was a fangirl of famous POSes. And geez, I hope SNL didn't have to pay royalties to R. Kelly for using parts his songs. I can't fathom why they'd give him any support.

What was supposed to be happening at the end of that sketch? Was it a different even worse song by an even worse POS? I couldn't tell. 

My favourite joke was the part of The Talking where Owen Wilson claimed that HIPAA required him to either tell no one or everyone. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

What was supposed to be happening at the end of that sketch? Was it a different even worse song by an even worse POS? I couldn't tell. 

I think Nana's family was hoping her second favorite song wouldn't have as awful an association. However, it turned out Nana doubled-down on the POSery with yet another R. Kelly song.

(And I've since learned that R. Kelly cannot receive royalties on his old music anymore. Sony Music and RCA Records keep the money now and occasionally it gets tapped to pay his outstanding debts like child support and rent.)

  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

However, it turned out Nana doubled-down on the POSery with yet another R. Kelly song.

Thanks. The little intro commentary about the remix particularly confused me. Everything I know about R Kelly's music is third hand. I was hoping for a more ludicrous escalation of the bit. Maybe the other song is intrinsically worse if only I knew it? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'll be here when AOC is spoofed.

And the Biden dude is probably unprepared to spoof of Biden since he's known for spoofing Trump.

So so premiere 

Share this post


Link to post

Re: Parodying Biden. The new guy has the voice down pat. He also, and I believe completely innocently, stuttered a line or two. Jim Carrey did the "Come on, man!" "Attitude Joe," which apparently  didn't  sit well enough with the home audience.

The season is young, though. 

 In any event, nothing will surpass Matt Damon as Brett Kavanaugh! 😂

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Maybe the other song is intrinsically worse if only I knew it? 

"Ignition" is a relatively lewd song (and readily identifiable by its opening notes) so just in that sense it was rather inappropriate for a funeral. But  IMO it's not any worse than a lot of hip-hop songs one might hear on terrestrial radio every day. I think it being another song by that artist was the main problem. Apparently there's a debate going on now on social media whether his songs should even be played on the radio anymore so I guess  perhaps this was SNL's nod toward that.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, vb68 said:

Cut for time sketch.

That was pretty good. 

That was excellent, the best thing Owen did last night. Other than this sketch, I thought he was not too good. His constant staring at cue cards or other places where his lines were written was an issue for me, but the bigger problem was that he was the same in everything. No characterizations, except in that cut sketch. 

I didn't like the new guy's Biden. For one thing, there were several times when I couldn't understand him. I thought he might have been talking too fast, or maybe he slurred. Was he wearing fake teeth? If so, that could have been the reason. However, Cecily's Sinema was outstanding. Of course Cecily is always outstanding. But it was very satisfying to see Sinema skewered so well.

I thought The Talking sketch was very funny. The topic is crockpot lasagna, but everyone goes off on other topics and argues for argument sake. Owen saying, "For HIPPA reasons we either can't tell anybody or have to tell everybody," was very funny.

Cecily: Are we doing Halloween this year?
Aidy: Yeah, my tree is up. 

Aidy: Could we go to commercial?
Cecily: I'm being told we ran out.
Aidy: Of commercials? 

The Cars 4 sketch was so-so to me. The only thing I enjoyed was JAJ's impression.

The school board meeting was fantastic. I particularly loved Cecily, Heidi, Aidy, and Mikey Day's voice.

Loved seeing the bits from Norm Macdonald's WU days, esp that one OJ joke. "That's my lucky stabbin' hat!" I read he had gotten into big trouble after that.

Didn't really care for the funeral sketch. I kinda liked the Fox NFL/Crazy House sketch. Kinda.

Loved Sarah and Andrew's energy (and voices) in the stool commercial. Sarah made a big impression on me (and others here, I see). I hope to see her do as well in future appearances. Oh, and I was happy to see Chris Redd. His weird postal carrier cracked me up.

I, too, thought Kacey Musgraves was nude during the first song, but I wasn't sure. I liked the video part of her performance (with people sitting at the table) in the second song.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

I wonder why Colin wouldn't wear a mask, with a baby at home. 

Who's Ken?

This is Ken (sorry if someone already answered this...):

https://www.yahoo.com/now/heres-colin-jost-referencing-sign-162702898.html

 

 

I thought the show was...okay.  I enjoyed the monologue.  I thought the school board sketch has some good to great moments.  And I did think Update was good. The fact that the Star Trek sketch was subtitled "Ego Quest" made me laugh through the rest of the bit. 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, vb68 said:

I thought it was about average for a first show. Honestly they are usually a little rough with everyone trying to get back in the groove again. Owen was a very good choice as host. He's such a likable presence and as he was more or less saying in the monologue, he is just so chill. He's kinda like 70s soft rock music. I mean that it a good, easy listening kind of way.

 

I love Owen.  He had a drug problem years ago and was hospitalized for a very sad reason, so I am happy to see him, although he still seems shaky to me.  I’m always worried about him.  But he’s such a lovable guy.  He talks about how his brothers were there for him, I love their relationship.

 

22 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

 

I think the best sketch (outside of the monologue) was the Cars 4 recording session.  That was pretty funny.  


I thought this was going to be a way to get Melissa into the sketch with her Owen impression.. like he wouldn’t say the lines so they bring in Melissa to do them.

 

21 hours ago, possibilities said:

 

I was pissed off that Colin didn't wear a mask during the good nights. What is his problem?


They are all on stage all night throughout the show without masks, I don’t understand why any of them wear them at all at the good nights.  

 

2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

 

 In any event, nothing will surpass Matt Damon as Brett Kavanaugh! 😂

The best!

“You just want to humiliate me in front of Alyssa Friggin Milano?!”

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Re: Parodying Biden. The new guy has the voice down pat. He also, and I believe completely innocently, stuttered a line or two. Jim Carrey did the "Come on, man!" "Attitude Joe," which apparently  didn't  sit well enough with the home audience.

I didn't like the guy's impression of Biden, didn't seem anywhere close to me.  Some others seem to like it though, so I guess YMMV.  I don't know what Carrey was trying to do, but I thought he was way off the mark too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 10/3/2021 at 12:19 PM, Scout Finch said:

For a few moments I thought it was Steve Carell doing Biden but then decided it was Owen because of the nose. Bah, not enough Melissa, as usual. I became a big fan last year because of her podcast (videocast?) and a Zoom session of drawing with Melissa, who is also an artist. One of her main impressions is Owen so I was wondering if they would somehow fit her in doing that. The only thing I can recall liking him in was "Zoolander." While some cast members are underused, it seems like Ego is in every. single. sketch, even more than Cecily. I never appreciated Heidi's talent until she played the old male security guard in that parody of Michael Jordan's documentary. Beck's gone? Noooo!

I think Ego benefits from being able to write for herself, and from being a good straight woman. 

The sketches of Owen Wilson either meeting an impersonator or having everyone doing his "wow" catchphrases were so obvious that I can't imagine the show passing them up. I have to wonder if he asked them to not do this.

On 10/3/2021 at 12:03 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this episode.

I can't believe Owen has never hosted before.  

Owen's monologue was amazing.  I wonder if that was all his writing.  

Kent Sublette helped with the monologue, apparently. He and Owen did a good job of making it feel natural to him.

Owen said in the past he would not host because he was too nervous about live performance. I'm glad he was able to get past that and hopefully enjoyed himself.

On 10/2/2021 at 11:13 PM, Izzy85 said:

I've never seen Kasey Musgraves live, is she nude? Is that a regular thing? Lol

Apparently that was supposed to be a homage to a scene with Robin Wright in Forrest Gump.

On 10/3/2021 at 8:35 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

Re: Parodying Biden. The new guy has the voice down pat. He also, and I believe completely innocently, stuttered a line or two. Jim Carrey did the "Come on, man!" "Attitude Joe," which apparently  didn't  sit well enough with the home audience.

The season is young, though. 

 In any event, nothing will surpass Matt Damon as Brett Kavanaugh! 😂

I think one of the problems with  Jim Carrey is you are more likely to see Jim Carrey. I've been seeing Jim Carrey for 30 years. I don't see an impression. While Dana Carvey is an excellent impressionist, when I saw him as Biden, I saw Dana Carvey, nothing else. 

Casting an unknown as Biden was one of the smarter political comedy choices I've seen from Lorne in a long time. I don't feel like much of anyone has gotten a handle on Biden, to put it mildly, and given how poor most of SNL's political material has been for a long time now, I was just glad that he gave a non-muggy performance, tried to play a character, and worked with what they gave him. I thought his part of the sketch was, overall, fine. Once they brought Pete in as Cuomo, just because they could I guess, I zoned out.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Blakeston said:

To be fair, neither Cameron Diaz nor Jennifer Grey have ever had a nose that looked even half as busted as Owen Wilson's.

Cameron Diaz never could have had gotten sex symbol roles with a nose like Owen's, and Jennifer Grey would never have been cast as a love interest for 

12 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I'm embarrassed to admit I'm looking forward to this. It might be hilarious or it might be terrible, but I doubt if it will be boring. 

What is this? Where is it streaming?

Share this post


Link to post

James Austin Johnson's Biden was good in terms of accuracy, but it needs to be taken farther for satire. They're still treating him with kid gloves. And I say that as someone who wakes up every day grateful that Biden is president.

Overall I thought it was one of their better shows. Not the best, but higher than the mean. Owen Wilson was a good host. Found his monologue funny and charming.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

What is this? Where is it streaming

I believe it's a movie about the Tiger King story. That's all I know. It's not out yet 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

 

Regarding the Tiger King show, it's not out yet.  Probably won't be for awhile.  Nothing has been announced in terms of premiere dates.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Owen said in the past he would not host because he was too nervous about live performance. I'm glad he was able to get past that and hopefully enjoyed himself.

I thought his nervousness was obvious. I don't have anything against him --  I've always enjoyed him in movies -- but he didn't bring anything to the sketches imo.

Quote

 

Apparently that was supposed to be a homage to a scene with Robin Wright in Forrest Gump.

 

It's been a while since I saw that movie, but I assume there was a scene with Robin Wright sitting naked? If so, what's the point of the homage?

Share this post


Link to post

10 hours ago, heatherchandler said:
On 10/3/2021 at 1:33 AM, Peace 47 said:

 

I think the best sketch (outside of the monologue) was the Cars 4 recording session.  That was pretty funny.  


I thought this was going to be a way to get Melissa into the sketch with her Owen impression.. like he wouldn’t say the lines so they bring in Melissa to do them.

It's what I was expecting too, and I think that would have been a better stinger for the end of the sketch than the well-worn "Oh, I'm getting paid big bucks? Never mind, let's do it!" trope. But someone here speculated that maybe Owen asked for no impressions, or they thought it would be too obvious a gag. I feel like the crowd reaction when she came out making That Face would have been worth it, though.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I thought this was going to be a way to get Melissa into the sketch with her Owen impression.. like he wouldn’t say the lines so they bring in Melissa to do them.

That was the time I was really expecting her to appear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

James Austin Johnson is a star in the making. I LOVED his bizarre Trump impression videos but had never seen him in anything else before Saturday, and he was an absolute natural onstage/on camera. Totally comfortable and up to the moment right off the bat. I can't think of another time a new hire has been given the spotlight like that in their first episode, and I'm really excited to see what happens with him in the future.

Edited by Cornhusker12
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It's been a while since I saw that movie, but I assume there was a scene with Robin Wright sitting naked? If so, what's the point of the homage?

It was one of the biggest movies of our adolescence.  It was like, that and Titanic, LOL.  I'm sure the scene had an impact on her.  

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

I feel like the crowd reaction when she came out making That Face would have been worth it, though.

Damn! I wish they had ended the sketch that way.

In other news, in the monologue, it was nice seeing the band behind Owen not wearing masks. It always helps when we can see that the band is amused by the host. We've been deprived of that for a while.

Share this post


Link to post

Kasey added a "FG" still of Robin Wright  to acknowledge that yes, she was paying homage to the actress and movie.

But it was apropos of nothing before or during the show, not even the song. The nudity thus seemed a gratuitous attempt at a "water-cooler moment."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

James Austin Johnson's Biden was good in terms of accuracy, but it needs to be taken farther for satire. They're still treating him with kid gloves. And I say that as someone who wakes up every day grateful that Biden is president.

Overall I thought it was one of their better shows. Not the best, but higher than the mean. Owen Wilson was a good host. Found his monologue funny and charming.

The problem with Biden satire is you will either just do jokes about  him allegedly being senile or allegedly being a pervert. Half the viewers will say you are being hostile toward him, and half will say you were whitewashing him. I thought the cold open made him look out of touch and sad, with one character even marveling that he did not call her by another black woman's name. Yet I also knew that would not be enough,  or would be too much (I saw someone threatening to never watch SNL again because they made AOC "a hero."). I know the idea used to be, "If  no one likes this that means it's working," but I am not  sure that is true anymore, if it ever was. I think ultimately it doesn't work unless you have razor-sharp  political comedy writers. SNL has not in many years. It's why I wish they would just cut their political cold opens down to nothing, or get rid of them entirely unless something big happens. 

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought his nervousness was obvious. I don't have anything against him --  I've always enjoyed him in movies -- but he didn't bring anything to the sketches imo.

It's been a while since I saw that movie, but I assume there was a scene with Robin Wright sitting naked? If so, what's the point of the homage?

I thought he was nervous/stumbly, but I didn't really mind as I thought he had a likeable presence and I  was fine with seeing the cast take the spotlight.  I do wish the writing had been stronger, but what else is new...

Yes, her character has a scene in the film playing guitar while sitting naked. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, LADreamr said:

I wonder if James Austin Johnson has a Mark Zuckerberg impression?

Alex Moffat has one, he's done on the show a few times, although they may  just take that one from him too...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

The problem with Biden satire is you will either just do jokes about  him allegedly being senile or allegedly being a pervert.

Colbert does him by leaning into the aviator sunglasses and "folksy" language (malarky, etc). It doesn't make him seem senile, because he gives it a lot of energy. It doesn't make him seem like he's being deified, either. I think anyone can be satirized. It took SNL a long time to figure out how to do Obama, but Key and Peele were doing it with huge success for a long time, and finally someone at SNL thought of "The Rock Obama" and it just shows that if you hire decent writers, your show is better. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Colbert does him by leaning into the aviator sunglasses and "folksy" language (malarky, etc). It doesn't make him seem senile, because he gives it a lot of energy. It doesn't make him seem like he's being deified, either.

That was basically Woody Harrelson's take as well—all gleaming veneers and confidently nonsensical old-man stories—and I thought his was by far the best of the show's election-era Bidens. But I think Johnson is zeroing in on a strong take as well, less glib and more sputtery earnest but still goofily charming.

The cold open was at its best when it just sort of let Johnson riff in that vein ("How's everybody's doin', what's cookin', what's good!" or his impassioned ode to trains), and less successful when it rested on the usual limp political commentary. If the writers lean into the character stuff, Johnson's Biden could end up being quite fun.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

27 minutes ago, Dev F said:

The cold open was at its best when it just sort of let Johnson riff in that vein ("How's everybody's doin', what's cookin', what's good!" or his impassioned ode to trains), and less successful when it rested on the usual limp political commentary. If the writers lean into the character stuff, Johnson's Biden could end up being quite fun.

That actually reminded me of "Vin Diesel"'s list of great things about...the mooooovies. And any time I'm reminded of that is a good time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Dev F said:

That was basically Woody Harrelson's take as well—all gleaming veneers and confidently nonsensical old-man stories—and I thought his was by far the best of the show's election-era Bidens. But I think Johnson is zeroing in on a strong take as well, less glib and more sputtery earnest but still goofily charming.

The cold open was at its best when it just sort of let Johnson riff in that vein ("How's everybody's doin', what's cookin', what's good!" or his impassioned ode to trains), and less successful when it rested on the usual limp political commentary. If the writers lean into the character stuff, Johnson's Biden could end up being quite fun.

I thought Woody's take was extremely hard-edged, moreso than any others (I haven't watched those in a few years but I remember them playing up the various allegations against Biden to the hilt). I would agree that Woody was the best of any Bidens (much as I love Jason Sudeikis as a performer I might even say I prefer Woody's take just because it felt like going beyond just old Onion articles). As he is too busy to be doing this I'm fine with Johnson for now but I guess it's going to be down to the writing in the end...and that's where I'm always wary. 

 

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Colbert does him by leaning into the aviator sunglasses and "folksy" language (malarky, etc). It doesn't make him seem senile, because he gives it a lot of energy. It doesn't make him seem like he's being deified, either. I think anyone can be satirized. It took SNL a long time to figure out how to do Obama, but Key and Peele were doing it with huge success for a long time, and finally someone at SNL thought of "The Rock Obama" and it just shows that if you hire decent writers, your show is better. 

I think with Colbert it's another case of a familiar, likeable face in the role. That's always something of an asset for a talk show format. It's more difficult with a live sketch show - if  SNL tried that I have a feeling they would just put Kate in old man makeup again.

Anyway, I don't want  to go off topic so I'll just say I enjoyed the discussion. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

I only came to find out why Colin did not wear a mask.

Too many teeth in his mouth. 😬

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Colbert does him by leaning into the aviator sunglasses and "folksy" language (malarky, etc). It doesn't make him seem senile, because he gives it a lot of energy. It doesn't make him seem like he's being deified, either. I think anyone can be satirized. It took SNL a long time to figure out how to do Obama, but Key and Peele were doing it with huge success for a long time, and finally someone at SNL thought of "The Rock Obama" and it just shows that if you hire decent writers, your show is better. 

I just don't see Biden as being a hard impersonation, it seems obvious to me, I don't know why they can't seem to find someone who can nail it.  His cadence doesn't seem that difficult, throw in a little goofy whispering, and some bizarre references, and you should have something.

"The Rock Obama" was a perfect example of how they treat Democrat presidents with kid gloves.  They don't want to criticize him, so they turn him into The Rock, no one is cooler than The Rock.  I also remember that To Sir With Love parody they did about him, with some of the female cast members singing Obama a song and getting him a present, parodying the end of that movie.  Compare that to the mallet to the head approach they took with Trump.  I don't expect them to be fair or unbiased, but it wouldn't hurt them to ridicule Biden at least a little bit.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/3/2021 at 6:08 PM, rmontro said:

Even Colin Jost said at the close of last season that a Biden presidency would be a comedy goldmine.  C'mon man, Biden's hilarious.  

         I Don't Like Donald Trump, BUT, I Think Donald Trump IS More Hilarious Than Joe Biden Is !

On 10/3/2021 at 6:57 PM, Scout Finch said:

She had about five seconds in the school board sketch looking like, I think, a ragdoll. A few months ago I commented on her YouTube channel that there needs to be a "Win a Friend Date with Melissa" where we just hang out in her apartment and do arts and crafts, and I get to hug her adorable dog! Wondering how much extra Lorne paid those such as Kate and Cecily to stay for this anniversary season. Is Mikey Day still there? I always love his incredulous reactions, "Oh my god, that is not a thing!" 

         How Is This An Anniversary Season ? They Started In 1975 !

On 10/3/2021 at 6:34 PM, cambridgeguy said:

If it really is the most comedy gold in any nine month period in history then there should be plenty of examples that blow away the Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc. presidencies.

In any case, SNL might be going back to the old standby of Dems = infighting incompetents and GOP = evil.

  How Is Any Thing Joe Biden Has Done Is Funnier Than W Saying Fool Me Once, Shame On You ! Fool Me Twice, Shame On Me !

On 10/3/2021 at 7:39 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Okay, I'm not with this new Joe Biden so far. Too much of George Bush's voice in there to me

Great take IMO on Sinema. Manchin, meh, but his lines were on target. Not sure why we still need anyone to play ex-Gov. Cuomo.

Bowen Yang graduated to the regular cast! Yay!

I don't watch The Talk. Was the The Talking skit remotely close to what happened when the VP was supposed to appear recently?

Elon Musk's spaceship looked like a Romulan Warbird compared to Jeff Bezos' wee penis rocket.

Segregate by six feet. Yikes. Bowen in those gray dreadlocks. Heh.

My local NBC station (West coast feed) cut into Pete's WE bit with a NASCAR commercial. I looked at it on YouTube to see what was missing. Gone were most of the gay references related to Pete's Met Gala outfit. That segment didn't seem particularly outrageous to me. <shrugs>

Oh dear, Nana was an under-the-radar POS who apparently was a fangirl of famous POSes. And geez, I hope SNL didn't have to pay royalties to R. Kelly for using parts his songs. I can't fathom why they'd give him any support.

Same.

          Chloe IS Also A Regular Cast Member !

On 10/4/2021 at 7:24 AM, Melina22 said:

I believe it's a movie about the Tiger King story. That's all I know. It's not out yet 

         I Think IT Is A TV Series !  Maybe, IT Is On Apple ,But, That Might Be Wrong !

On 10/4/2021 at 6:07 AM, Pete Martell said:

I think Ego benefits from being able to write for herself, and from being a good straight woman. 

The sketches of Owen Wilson either meeting an impersonator or having everyone doing his "wow" catchphrases were so obvious that I can't imagine the show passing them up. I have to wonder if he asked them to not do this.

Kent Sublette helped with the monologue, apparently. He and Owen did a good job of making it feel natural to him.

Owen said in the past he would not host because he was too nervous about live performance. I'm glad he was able to get past that and hopefully enjoyed himself.

Apparently that was supposed to be a homage to a scene with Robin Wright in Forrest Gump.

I think one of the problems with  Jim Carrey is you are more likely to see Jim Carrey. I've been seeing Jim Carrey for 30 years. I don't see an impression. While Dana Carvey is an excellent impressionist, when I saw him as Biden, I saw Dana Carvey, nothing else. 

Casting an unknown as Biden was one of the smarter political comedy choices I've seen from Lorne in a long time. I don't feel like much of anyone has gotten a handle on Biden, to put it mildly, and given how poor most of SNL's political material has been for a long time now, I was just glad that he gave a non-muggy performance, tried to play a character, and worked with what they gave him. I thought his part of the sketch was, overall, fine. Once they brought Pete in as Cuomo, just because they could I guess, I zoned out.

        When Was Robin Wright Nude In Forrest Gump ?

On 10/4/2021 at 10:34 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

It was one of the biggest movies of our adolescence.  It was like, that and Titanic, LOL.  I'm sure the scene had an impact on her.  

         Ms Blue Jay, You Should Say I Don't Remember The Scene She Was Nude In, But, Forrest Gump Was Our adolescence Like Titanic !

On 10/4/2021 at 2:23 PM, Pete Martell said:

The problem with Biden satire is you will either just do jokes about  him allegedly being senile or allegedly being a pervert. Half the viewers will say you are being hostile toward him, and half will say you were whitewashing him. I thought the cold open made him look out of touch and sad, with one character even marveling that he did not call her by another black woman's name. Yet I also knew that would not be enough,  or would be too much (I saw someone threatening to never watch SNL again because they made AOC "a hero."). I know the idea used to be, "If  no one likes this that means it's working," but I am not  sure that is true anymore, if it ever was. I think ultimately it doesn't work unless you have razor-sharp  political comedy writers. SNL has not in many years. It's why I wish they would just cut their political cold opens down to nothing, or get rid of them entirely unless something big happens. 

I thought he was nervous/stumbly, but I didn't really mind as I thought he had a likeable presence and I  was fine with seeing the cast take the spotlight.  I do wish the writing had been stronger, but what else is new...

Yes, her character has a scene in the film playing guitar while sitting naked. 

       OKAY, I Remember That NOW !

On 10/4/2021 at 9:12 PM, rmontro said:

I just don't see Biden as being a hard impersonation, it seems obvious to me, I don't know why they can't seem to find someone who can nail it.  His cadence doesn't seem that difficult, throw in a little goofy whispering, and some bizarre references, and you should have something.

"The Rock Obama" was a perfect example of how they treat Democrat presidents with kid gloves.  They don't want to criticize him, so they turn him into The Rock, no one is cooler than The Rock.  I also remember that To Sir With Love parody they did about him, with some of the female cast members singing Obama a song and getting him a present, parodying the end of that movie.  Compare that to the mallet to the head approach they took with Trump.  I don't expect them to be fair or unbiased, but it wouldn't hurt them to ridicule Biden at least a little bit.

         Jimmy Fallon AND Seth Meyers Can BOTH DO Joe Biden's Voice ! ! 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Jody said:

 I Don't Like Donald Trump, BUT, I Think Donald Trump IS More Hilarious Than Joe Biden Is ! 

I'd call it a wash, or close to it.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

The sketches of Owen Wilson either meeting an impersonator or having everyone doing his "wow" catchphrases were so obvious that I can't imagine the show passing them up. I have to wonder if he asked them to not do this.

What really impressed me was how non-Owen Wilson-y he was in all the sketches. I think he gets cast in movies because they want the Owen Wilson everyone can do an impression of. But he basically disappeared into each part he was given in a sketch—not the accent or cadence that we’re used to. Maybe he’s pushing for roles where he’s not typecast. 

ETA: In a way he felt very generic, but it was impressive because he’s usually so specifically “him.”

Edited by ahisma
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Jody said:

When Was Robin Wright Nude In Forrest Gump ? 

 

 

My husband and I watched the episode together and neither of us realized that she was naked. I don't know what that says about us. We both grew up with Forrest Gump (I had it on VHS as a kid), but I didn't think the Bobbie Dylan scene was so iconic that it should be honored 30ish years later on SNL. But that might be an unpopular opinion.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size