Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: My Mother, Myself

Trini
  • Start Topic

As Angela tries to land a spot for Eve's Crown in the Franklin incubator program, she uncovers a devastating secret about her mother. Meanwhile, Leah attempts to unseat Teddy as the head of Franklin, Raymond is determined to get his company back and Chaos erupts for the Duponts at the Black Diamond Ball.

Airdate: Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2021

Ya know, I wouldn't even mind these plot twists, but they are just trying to pack too many into each episode. Like, can we sit with each development for a little while? Explore it, and reactions to it for a minute before the next twist?

I think they need to focus more on showing who these characters are before throwing ALL the drama at them. It would help me care more about each twist.

Fab clothes and hair; but I'm going to need more depth in the long run.

• Love 10

This feels like the kind of show that I might like for one season, but give up on early in the second season like so many somewhat similar shows. People already mentioned Empire and Revenge in other topics here which are also shows that I stopped watching during their second seasons.

• Love 3

So are the white guy (great casting; he gives every inch of “country club white dude”) and Leah having an affair or did he kiss her out of nowhere? It kind of looked like she was pulling back.

Yaya’s acting is still weak to me, but there are enough stronger actors to keep me interested.

• Love 5

The theme song leaves much to be desired.

So is there just the one Black church in this town?

And there's where things took a turn into fantasyland. Hard to image that in 1900 a White man not only went into business with a Black man, they joined their last names to title the company. Ehhh, not bloody likely.

Okay, I'm guessing the father of Raymond's buddy and co-partner Jack looks a lot like Kevin Costner. The actor playing Jack could be Costner 25 years ago.

Leah's mother Rose is a hateful old biddy but apparently she knows where the bodies are buried and that's why Leah and Teddy keep her locked away.

Forbes will put anyone on the cover these days, lol. Did they pay for product placement on this show?

Wonder how much Joe Morton gets paid to show up each episode and give an Eli Pope speech? I love it.

Whee, Teddy didn't teach Leah all the dirty tricks it seems. He cracked her face in front of all those hoity-toity people.

Raymond's buddy Jack just grabs Leah and kisses her like that? Oy, he's gonna be messy.

Oh my, dripping wet Tryique's looking quite yummy too. Get you some, Angela.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Am I the only one who can't get sound for this episode on Hulu?   I am not having this issue with the first episode or with anything else on Hulu.  What the heck??

Sound is fine for me.

Yaya's acting in this episode seemed better.  Like once she got through some of the clunky exposition and set up of the Pilot, she could really settle into the role.  Lots of nice little touches to round out the character beyond her mission, like her little looks of concern toward Lauren doing the flower arrangement.  

Getting info out of a woman with dementia was ... a little shady, to put it mildly!  

Poor Lauren, coming out to her mom in front of a stranger and then getting quickly rebuked by her mom.  Not to mention how relatively calm her family was the day after her arrest -- "just make sure she has a good lawyer" "we have to protect our legacy"  "let's talk about Angela Vaughn now"  .... what the heck?!  Lauren is a complete after thought in this business-obsessed family. 

The pool scene was so pretty.   

However.  This show is moving way too fast with the plot points, I think!  I have whiplash from scene to scene.

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1

The show does too much and doesn’t let the drama land before following with another punch. It’s melodramatic and overwrought. 

Also - MV having that many black families (who own and are entrenched all year) feels as make believe as Wakanda. It used to be like this but not so much anymore. Not even in Oak Bluffs. It’s very, VERY white.

But even letting that slide - seeing Angela easily get into all these parties, etc so fast is unrealistic too - even with her DA friend.  Her even being up for Graceties this fast isn’t realistic either. The only realistic part is the Incubator Program which could be handwaved as being on merit. I’m not saying it wouldn’t happen eventually but not this fast. And tbh, the families would’ve smoked her out and iced her out much faster.

The best part of this show is Eli Pope - I mean Teddy. 

I do love the parties, the black wealth, the clothes and all that but the plots feel rushed and actually makes the show feel cheap.  The direction is rushed and the production quality is low.

Its good for passing time but I wouldn’t be watching except Hulu kept forcing it on me. It’s upsetting because you can feel deeper and better stories in the source material but the writing and direction is not doing it justice enough for me.  I wish the show slowly revealed these characters to us more subtly and with more “show, not tell”.  Right now it has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

I wouldn’t watch this weekly.