Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: The Escape

• Start Topic

Fun episode. The Sire manages to escape Vampiric Council custody, and the main players have to get him back under the assumption that if the Sire dies, all vampires die. Except Colin Robinson, because he's an energy vampire. Nandor accepts blame too well, Nadjua deflects blame too well, Guillermo has a few badass scenes taking command of the hunt . . . and the Baron gets dug up to help the search party. Apparently, Gizmo didn't accidentally kill him in the first season after all.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Starchild said:

That wasn't Doug Jones this time, right?

Yes, it was! I carefully read the credits. I loved the Baron riding in the little car thinking he controlled it with his mind. 😄 

Doll Nadja sighting! 
Lazlo swallowed the harmonica. Colin Robinson just discovered “That’s what she said!” Gossipy gargoyles! 🤣😂🤣

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9

Didn't predict we would see The Baron again tonight and I certainly didn't predict we would see The Baron a) riding the world's cutest hellhound and b) riding a toy RC car because he's still only a head, torso, and one arm!  Always great seeing Doug Jones and I would totally be down for a spin-off with him, The Sire, and Adorable Hellhound that can breathe fire!

Oh, Nandor!  Yes, he might be a warlord turned vampire with a bodycount that likely rivals nations, but he really did feel bad over thinking all of it was his fault.  And it was perfectly in character of Nadja to continue that deceit and never own up to her part in the screw up, heh.

I really want to know if or when Lazlo will get that harmonica out of his throat.  Not that I'm in a hurry because hearing it every time he spoke at the end never failed to crack me up.

Colin Robinson discovering the "That's what she said!" meme was extra funny to me knowing that Mark Proksch was in The Office.

Can't remember if they had brought gargoyles into the mix before, but that was a fun little bit too.

Guillermo was definitely having fun being in charge for a bit.  Sure, it still ended with him being bait but it was fun while it lasted!

Another great episode.

• Love 5

The special effects on this show are really impressive! All the stuff with the Baron was so hysterical but it looked really great. So did the gargoyles and so did the Sire. The things they manage to accomplish on this show astound me for a half hour cable sitcom. Even the transitions into bats look awesome. There were so many great visuals.

I'm glad they followed up on that thing where the Baron's eyes glowed red when they were burying him, I'd nearly forgotten about it.

I did not realize the dog was really a hellhound until the very end. I just assumed it was an adorable Labrador the vampires were all afraid of. And I was really upset there for a minute they let the Baron and the Sire take it with them.

Guillermo slapping Nandor has to be a highlight of the series. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I did not realize the dog was really a hellhound until the very end. I just assumed it was an adorable Labrador the vampires were all afraid of. And I was really upset there for a minute they let the Baron and the Sire take it with them.

I was surprised also. I really thought it was a regular dog. I was also worried about the dog departing, but it helped a lot to see what a happy household the Barron and Sire + Hellhound turned into. The Barron is so cheerful! He really has a different attitude than the others, and it kind of fits the doggy affect. 

Edited by possibilities
fix typo
  • Love 5

Did anyone see who did the voices of the two gossipy gargoyles? My end credits got cut off on my DVR recording. 

I agree the special effects in this episode were really impressive, felt like they blew their whole budget for the season on this one 😄

Edit: Found in the AV Club comments that the gargoyles were voiced by Julie Klausner and Cole Escola from "Difficult People". I knew I recognized their voices! 

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I was surprised also. I really thought it was a regular dog. I was also worried about the dig departing, but it helped a lot to see what a happy household the Barron and Sire + Hellhound turned into. The Barron is so cheerful! He really has a different attitude than the others, and it kind of fits the doggy affect. 

He really is a pleasant fellow after all! lol! 

20 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

"I'm controlling it with my mind." Cut to The Guide using the remote to steer.

That was hysterical! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The show is becoming so much better and funnier. I think because they have really honed in on the characters and we, as the audience know them more. It allows for subtler jokes. Like Colin Robinson (and it is funny that EVERYBODY calls him that) starts to talk about Jaws and gets a STFU.

• Love 5

This may be the best episode of the season. Wonder why the Sire looks like a gargoyle though. And it really was a Hell Hound after all. So who's running the AirBNB listing for them? I doubt either one is computer literate. Loved Guillermo taking charge and having confidence in his own skills. Nandor decked out in the sporting equipment and the pink flamingo float was a great touch. "I do not have my armor but I thought this would work."

The camera crew was indirectly acknowledged when the Sire fogged up the lens.

• Love 7

Perfect episode. I feel they really returned to form with this one. I love this show, but I haven’t loved the first episodes of season 3, except episode 2. Don’t get me wrong, they were still good, just not the perfection that was season 1 and 2. This one seemed like the old show I adored. I was afraid they had lost it this season, I am glad to know I was wrong. I laughed out loud several times this episode. I died when the Guide was screaming about them all possibly dying and rapidly moved to multiple places while still screaming. Also, Laszlo trying to talk with the harmonica lodged in him was hilarious. 

I love this show! 

Edited by mothmonsterman
  • Love 8

Great episode! Cracked up multiple times. The Baron and The Guide together were hysterical. Loved Guillermo taking charge and cracked up at Nandor's pink armor. The Baron and the Sire feasting on AirBnB people was priceless as was the hellhound shooting fire onto the tree. 

• Love 3

The hellhound roasting the squirrel was the hardest I've laughed so far this season.  That caught me completely off guard.  I loved the resolution of this bizarre household in remote New Jersey, and the mannequin stand and robe for the Baron to greet people.  He's still fried to a crisp, but I guess he looks human enough to get the AirBnB-ers in the door.

I liked that for most of it the Sire was a costumed performer.

There were great little moments in this.  Nandor and Nadiya were unable to read the Sire's name because of the gothic script (it sounded like Guillaume when the Baron said it).  Colin Robinson can identify and remember the skull of a census worker from the late 90s, which must be a Silence of the Lambs reference.  And there is a random floating orb in the Vampiric Council headquarters.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

Colin Robinson can identify and remember the skull of a census worker from the late 90s, which must be a Silence of the Lambs reference.  And there is a random floating orb in the Vampiric Council headquarters.

One of two SotL references, with the gargoyle saying "Quid pro quo, Clarice."

• Love 8

I laughed so damn hard at this episode! But my favorite was the hellhound… so perfect that he’s a Golden Retriever… I fell off the couch laughing at the squirrel roasting!!

• Love 3

I have been wondering for awhile if we would see the return of The Baron after we briefly saw his eyes glow, and here we get his glorious return! Riding cars he controls with his mind (or not) riding adorable hell hounds, translating for ancient sires, he is just leaving his best life as a head, torso, and one arm. This show is so good, not only hilarious but the effects actually do look really high quality, which just makes the jokes even funnier. It would be easy to make The Sire look goofy for the sake of the joke, but the fact that he actually does look rather creepy and lifelike just makes everyone bumbling after him even more hilarious.

I thought that the dog was just a normal dog that all the vampires were scared of for silly reasons, but it turned out to be an actual hell hound! An adorable, fluffy creature of darkness. Love seeing Guillermo continue to become more confident, even giving Nandor a good hard slap, even if he still had to be bait before Nandor and his unnecessary helmet stepped in.

We also find out that Gargoyles are super gossipy as it turns out. And a doll Nadja sighting!

On 10/1/2021 at 11:40 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

"I'm controlling it with my mind." Cut to The Guide using the remote to steer.

Her long suffering glace at the camera just killed me then brought me back again Baron style. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

The hellhound actually reminded me of Galavant, if anyone here watched that. It's kind like if you crossed GoT with a movie musical parody. But one of the main characters acquires a lizard that he keeps insisting is a dragon and carries around for most of the show. The very last gag in the final episode is the reveal that yep, it really was a dragon. They didn't have the budget for full on CGI dragon-ness so the audience sees a gout of flames.

• Love 9

As great as the main characters are, it's really the animal minions on this show that I love the most. The hellhound roasting squirrels, and Sam preparing charcuterie plates. Hope they never meet, though.

• Love 1

The visuals this season alone are Emmy-worthy...the Guide with the remote control for the car and the fire-breathing hellhound were such quick blink-and-you-miss-it visual jokes, but they were both so hilarious! And the two-second visual of the sweet snuggly Golden hellhound being a fire-breathing squirrel-murderer had a multi-episode buildup! Amazing.

Edited by Iseut
  • Love 2
On 10/4/2021 at 3:46 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I am not normally a fan of Kristen Schaal, but she is killing it as the Guide

I never disliked her, but her "quirky/kooky" little-girl-voice shtick was getting old. This is the first thing I've ever seen her do in which she's not like that. I enjoy hearing a more normal, adult sounding voice from her, and for once she's allowed to play some character traits besides "quirkiness."

• Love 4
On 10/4/2021 at 11:40 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

Ha! That brings back memories. I kind of want to binge the whole thing now but it's not streaming on any service and my library doesn't have the dvds :(.

Interlibrary loan can be your friend.

• Love 1
On 10/5/2021 at 12:40 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Ha! That brings back memories. I kind of want to binge the whole thing now but it's not streaming on any service and my library doesn't have the dvds :(.

It’s on YouTube, but you have to pay for it.

Well I tried, but this library's ILL is only for books. I had to go pick up a hold so I also checked if there was some way to request DVDs. There isn't, but the reference librarian not only knew which show I was asking about, she personally owns it and rewatches regularly. She agreed it was a travesty the library didn't have it and added it to the purchase list. Which is not a guarantee because someone does vette the list but I'm optimistic a property that's not available another way will be approved.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Well I tried, but this library's ILL is only for books. I had to go pick up a hold so I also checked if there was some way to request DVDs. There isn't, but the reference librarian not only knew which show I was asking about, she personally owns it and rewatches regularly. She agreed it was a travesty the library didn't have it and added it to the purchase list. Which is not a guarantee because someone does vette the list but I'm optimistic a property that's not available another way will be approved.

When our patrons suggest a purchase, of course it is reviewed but most of the time we will buy it, unless we can ILL it. We just had some guy want us to buy some real estate book that had poor reviews and was full of errors. The selector said no. He spoke to our manager and ranted and raved..... we bought the book. Sometimes, we buy too much. 

I think they will get it though. Its popular enough and if they aren't going to ILL it, they should. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 1

I believe in Tad Cooper.

I super believe in you, Tad Cooper.

(Galavant was streaming on Netflix not too long ago. That's where I re-watched it.)

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1