Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Welcome to the Intervention

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Sorry to see Calvin’s friend drop so low, but good to see him stand by him in the end when the friend finally asked for help

Good for Marty seeing that lady isn’t for him if he couldn’t be himself. Plus, there were signs she could get him into trouble 

• Love 6

Huge neon signs, indeed. Plus he needs someone he can nerd out with.

I was most struck by the addict calling out that they all call him Crackhead [name]. He was right - he’s a whole person and they reduced him to his addiction.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I was most struck by the addict calling out that they all call him Crackhead [name]. He was right - he’s a whole person and they reduced him to his addiction.

I also liked that he said he can't go back to who he was because he is not that person anymore. I like that Dave served in Iraq, and was able to relate with him. I tend to forget Dave was in the military in the past. His personality does not scream military man to me. 

• Love 7

Aw, Marty had that personal growth experience whereupon one learns that one's childhood crush is really not all that.  He needs to find his nerdy girl and be blissfully happy.  I think that would bring some exasperated head shaking from Calvin, which is never not funny.

Addiction is a tough subject, but I like how this show tackled it head on.  Yeah, they played it for funnies--generally neighbors aren't that amused by homeless crackheads breaking into their cars and houses to sleep it off--but they still tackled it.  I don't see Gemma being nearly so blase about a Crackhead-Victor sleeping in her car if he smelled like most homeless crackheads smell like.

The elaborate parkour chase scene was hysterical.  That actor who played Victor was amazing with his leaping and flipping.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Addiction is a tough subject, but I like how this show tackled it head on.  Yeah, they played it for funnies--generally neighbors aren't that amused by homeless crackheads breaking into their cars and houses to sleep it off--but they still tackled it.  I don't see Gemma being nearly so blase about a Crackhead-Victor sleeping in her car if he smelled like most homeless crackheads smell like.

Well, we know Crackhead-Victor was at least cleaning himself somewhat regularly with Calvin's loofah and Dave's water. I assume Crackhead-Victor was more accepted because he was from the neighborhood, and seemingly a good person before Afghanistan.  Were he a random crackhead I don't think he would have been treated so warmly.  I can see Gemma being the kind of person who wants to help and wants to be supportive, but also not wanting to have a crackhead sleeping in her guest room and around her son so this is a reasonable compromise. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I also liked that he said he can't go back to who he was because he is not that person anymore. I like that Dave served in Iraq, and was able to relate with him. I tend to forget Dave was in the military in the past. His personality does not scream military man to me. 

I had no idea Dave was in the military!  This was a great way to connect him. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I had no idea Dave was in the military!  This was a great way to connect him. 

They don’t make a big deal of it but it comes up sometimes. I think we learned about it when he went to some kind of sporting event and they told all vets to stand and he stood, and it’s come up a few times since. I can’t remember what branch he was in.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

They don’t make a big deal of it but it comes up sometimes. I think we learned about it when he went to some kind of sporting event and they told all vets to stand and he stood, and it’s come up a few times since. I can’t remember what branch he was in.

Thanks!  I did not watch this show regularly in the first two seasons.  It's grown on me.

This episode was painful to watch.  Treating a serious subject like drug addiction with the sitcom trope of line, line, joke just didn't work here.  The best sitcoms usually steer away from mixing too much of harsh reality into their episodes, but when they do, they know enough to turn the comedy off for at least a few minutes (witness All in the Family and the Edith rape episode, Maude's abortion episode).

Overall, an embarrassing episode for an otherwise good comedy series that is starting to grow on me

• Love 1