Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

On 9/29/2021 at 2:20 PM, Harvey said:

I hope we never see Abishola's mom again. What a mean spirited, pathetic, insecure piece of trash.

I'm sure we'll continue to see the top 3rd of her head on her video calls 🙂

On 9/30/2021 at 10:51 AM, Johann said:

I not only wanted Dele to move into Bob's place, but for the aunt and uncle to move in, too.  

I so want the Aunt and Uncle to move in too.   Otherwise I'm afraid we might get more of Bob's family.  His siblings irk me

21 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I'm sure we'll continue to see the top 3rd of her head on her video calls 🙂

I love the top-third-of-head calls because it reminds me of my mom.❤️
Mom could be pretty mean-spirited too at times, just not to anyone's face, LOL.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/28/2021 at 12:18 PM, HurricaneVal said:

I know nothing about Nigeria other than it is a country in Africa, but oddly enough this is the second Nigerian wedding I've "attended" in the past two weeks.  The third season of Sex Education features Eric traveling to a family wedding in Nigeria.  The similarities between the two weddings in dissimilar shows--lots of color, lots of dancing, lots of food, lots of family bickering, dominant women--makes me think that perhaps this is how big showy weddings actually are done in Nigeria.  The one thing I could not take my eyes off of were the elaborate headdresses all the women wore, they were spectacular in both shows.

On 9/28/2021 at 1:50 PM, Brian Cronin said:

One of the big things about the show was getting Nigerian culture right (as show co-creator Gina Yashere, who also plays Kemi, is all about that), so I'd be shocked if they DIDN'T get Nigerian weddings correctly. 

Really interesting article in Brides magazine (don't judge me!) about Nigerian weddings. Abishola's tribe's traditions are number 3.

What to Expect at a Nigerian Wedding

For Igbo and Yoruba people, the traditional wedding comes first, followed by a church ceremony that is often referred to as the “white wedding” due to the color of the bride’s gown. Both ceremonies could be days, weeks, or months apart. The white wedding customarily takes place in a church, but modern couples are opting for non-denominational venues.

I loved all the wedding outfits and the music.

And the look Bob gives Abishola when she enters with her bridesmaids was beautiful. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

I have also been looking forward to Olu, Tunde, and Dele moving in with Bob. I thought for sure that was what would happen, but I don't actually know anything. I figured Olu and Tunde's apartment is too small for Bob to move in with them. It never even occurred to me that Abishola would move in alone. The family adds so much to the show. I don't want to reduce their presence.

• Love 4
On 9/27/2021 at 7:27 PM, DanaK said:

Enjoyed the parts of the wedding we did see, including the dancing by the bridal party. I would have liked to see where they were declared married if that exists in a Nigerian wedding

As I understand it the wedding party with the parents and payment of the bride price itself is the declaration of marriage. 

For the show to also have Bob and Abishola also show up for a civil (non tribal  traditional)wedding and/or have an Evangelical(in her case) Christian pastor or government registrar to do what we are already familiar with is a big time suck. If they also go for a civil or religious ceremony that declaration would also occur there and the clergy becomes the deputy of the state as in Detroit 

10 hours ago, Raja said:

For the show to also have Bob and Abishola also show up for a civil (non tribal  traditional)wedding and/or have an Evangelical(in her case) Christian pastor or government registrar to do what we are already familiar with is a big time suck.

I don't think so, to have a wedding in the U.S. for the people who missed the wedding in Nigeria (especially Goodwin, Kofo, and Gloria), would be a nice gesture, especially if they already paid for all the stuff and it was already scheduled to occur shortly after they get back from Nigeria. I am usually a little negative about Abishola as a character, but I liked her a lot during the wedding episode, maybe seeing her happy in the US in another episode would would make me like her character more.  There are also people who love seeing characters in wedding dresses.

I am surprised that they were able to throw the wedding together so quickly, including having friends and family from the USA attend.  Wasn't their sole mission to Nigeria to get Dele back, or was the wedding planned for this trip all along?  That was unclear to me, and the whole episode seemed haphazard.  Although things are moving along quickly this season, I am not enjoying it as much.  I still haven't seen a burning, loving relationship between Bob and Abishola develop, but now that they're married, I guess it's inferred.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

I am surprised that they were able to throw the wedding together so quickly, including having friends and family from the USA attend.  Wasn't their sole mission to Nigeria to get Dele back, or was the wedding planned for this trip all along?  That was unclear to me, and the whole episode seemed haphazard.  Although things are moving along quickly this season, I am not enjoying it as much.  I still haven't seen a burning, loving relationship between Bob and Abishola develop, but now that they're married, I guess it's inferred.

Weren't the Wheelers the only ones from America, not counting Tunde and Olu, who had flown previously with Bob and Abishola? Oh wait, there was also Kemi, but she came independently. 

Watching the Nigerian wedding from when Abishola and her bridesmaids come dancing in makes me really want to witness a Nigerian wedding. It just looked so joyous, compared to many American weddings which seem so serious.

The colorfulness alone made it seem more joyful. Monochromatic wedding traditions in the USA now seem really weird to me! I'm sitting here thinking: Why, exactly, is everyone supposed to wear the identical dress and look exactly the same? Why, exactly, is everyone supposed to sit quietly and hold their breath so much? Why is it so uptight??? I never noticed before, but yikes! And why the hell are people CRYING?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/4/2021 at 5:25 PM, possibilities said:

And why the hell are people CRYING?

To be fair, I cried at Bob and Abishola's wedding too. 😀 People cry when they're happy and when they're sad. Weddings are an emotional time and often a mix of both happy and sad. 

Edited to add: Does anyone know the name of the song that was playing as Abishola and her bridesmaids entered?

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2

I catch this show occasionally and really like it, but I changed the channel on this episode after the bride’s mother and aunt started shouting at each other at the table.  It was so ridiculous and annoying to see them fight like children.  I’m not sure why writers find this amusing or think it’s funny for grown women to act that way at their loved ones’s pre-wedding dinner.  It reminds me of why I like so few network comedies.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I catch this show occasionally and really like it, but I changed the channel on this episode after the bride’s mother and aunt started shouting at each other at the table.  It was so ridiculous and annoying to see them fight like children.  I’m not sure why writers find this amusing or think it’s funny for grown women to act that way at their loved ones’s pre-wedding dinner.  It reminds me of why I like so few network comedies.  

It's not just women, and it's not just network sitcoms. Familial resentments and differences last a long, long time and often manifest themselves in stressful situations. It sounds like Olu and Abishola's mother have a lifelong antagonistic relationship, and they fall into lifelong habits around each other. No wonder Olu and Tunde moved to America.

• Love 3