Type keyword(s) to search

Invasion - General Discussion

xaxat
  • Start Topic

We are not alone. Extraterrestrial beings have made their way to Earth from across the universe. Civilization could collapse. And survival is up to you. Feel what it’s like to live through an alien invasion starting October 22 on Apple TV+

I forgot where I read it, but someone described the trailers as being all of the alien invasion movies combined. I'd add with a dollop of M. Night Shyamalan on top.

I'm a sucker for alien invasion stories, so I'm in.

092221_Apple_Debuts_Trailer_Invasion_Big

Apple TV+ will release the first three episodes of the ten episode series  “Invasion,” on Oct. 22 with the rest airing on a weekly basis. This new series from Simon Kinberg and David Weil will be set across multiple continents as citizens across the globe struggle to deal with a global crisis. Production started in October of 2019 and ended in March of 2021, filming in several different countries, New York, Manchester, Greenwich, Morocco, and Japan.

The show places focus on individuals as they attempt to manage small incidents like random nosebleeds, citywide blackouts, and crop circles, but these incidents are very quickly realized to be connected and caused by something “not of our Earth". This may not have been the first time these individuals have had to face a crisis like this. The focus is not so much on the extraterrestrials, but on how people react to this threat to humanity's very existence. 

img_4010.jpg?resize=856,482&ssl=1

Sheriff John Bell Tyson (Sam Neill) a small-town sheriff on the verge of retirement is investigating a mysterious event. 

img_4009.jpg?resize=856,482&ssl=1

E_52N76UUBM8GKE?format=jpg&name=large

Aneesha Malik (Golshifteh Farahani) is a first generation Syrian Muslim immigrant mother living in Long Island, switches into survival mode to protect her children Luke (Azhy Robertson) and Sarah (Tara Moayedi) as her neighbors demonize them.

MV5BY2FlOTM2ZDgtM2NiZS00NWM1LTkyZmYtMjAx

Ahmed Malik (Firas Nassar) is Aneesha’s husband, a Syrian immigrant and successful businessman.

img_4011.jpg?resize=856,482&ssl=1

Screen-Shot-2021-09-21-at-6.05.10-PM.png

Trevante Ward (Shamier Anderson) is an extraordinary soldier in the military left stranded in the Afghanistan desert due to an alien explosion.

Invasion_Space-1-900x506.jpg

img_4008.jpg?resize=856,482&ssl=1

Mitsuki (Shioli Kutsuna) is an intelligent member of JASA mission control, Japan’s space program who is having an affair with a married Japanese female astronaut. The astronauts in space debate if they should make contact with the extraterrestrials.

Kaito Kawaguchi (Daisuke Tsuji) is a colleague/friend of Mitsuki who helps her investigate the worldwide event.

img_4007.jpg?resize=856,482&ssl=1

Casper Morrow (Billy Barratt) is a boy who has a weird reaction to the invasion which is shared by other children around the world.

Jamila Huston (India Brown} is a friend of Casper. 

• Useful 1

I wonder if the different people in various locales are going to eventually team up or work together in some fashion like War of the Worlds on Epic or if this is going to be more of a character study than sci-fi invaders vs. the earthlings.  I finished the first three episodes.  Mitsuki pining away is starting to bore me.  I would rather see her mainly investigating and solving issues related to the invasion.  Would rather be spared a Lord of the Flies remake.  Main question right now is...Sam Neill???

These shows on Apple have all been dubbed into a variety of languages.  I wish they would have the Japanese segments dubbed as well so that I don't have to keep my eyes on the screen in order to read subtitles.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ferjy said:

Anime, where are you getting the episode names? They’re not the same as the titles my Apple TV+ app shows. Maybe I’m watching the wrong Invasion!

From the internet, I guess I should have checked with the Apple TV site. I think Wikipedia.

Edited by AnimeMania

S01.E01: Last Day    October 22, 2021
Across the globe, strange and unexplainable events begin to unfold. A small-town sheriff senses something bigger is at play.

S01.E02: Crash     October 22, 2021
Amid chaos, Aneesha makes a difficult decision for the sake of her family. Trevante, a Navy SEAL, investigates a distress call with his team.

S01.E03: Orion     October 22, 2021
Mitsuki takes desperate measures, determined to uncover the truth. Caspar and Jamila discover just how dire their situation is.

S01.E04: The King Is Dead     October 29, 2021
Trevante fears the worst until a locator beacon gives him hope. Mitsuki finds an ally in the most unexpected place.

S01.E05: Going Home     November 5, 2021
The President of the United States gives an urgent global address in an attempt to prepare the world for what lies ahead.

23 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I like the concept, examining an invasion from the perspective of those on the periphery (at least for now). But I agree, this show is g-l-a-c-i-a-l-l-y slow.

They could have picked better storylines. Husband that cheats on his wife, how original.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:48 AM, overtherainbow said:

I like sci-fi and alien invasions but this series is so painfully slow! I find myself caring less and less about the characters. So far the only even mildly interesting one is the schoolboy on the crashed bus. 

Nah, I’m tired of bratty kids. I have enough of my own. 😁  The most interesting to me is the Japanese segment. A shame there isn’t a dubbed version. I’m with ichbin, I hate reading subtitles. I’d rather have my eyes on the events onscreen. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

From the internet, I guess I should have checked with the Apple TV site. I think Wikipedia.

Thanks. imdb shows the same titles as Apple TV+ so I thought they might be from another show. There are a quite a few “Invasion” shows, and movies as well. 

1 minute ago, ferjy said:

Thanks. imdb shows the same titles as Apple TV+ so I thought they might be from another show. There are a quite a few “Invasion” shows, and movies as well. 

They were changed to the new titles as the episodes were released. If you note the rest of the unreleased episode titles, they will be changed when they get the correct titles.

3 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

They were changed to the new titles as the episodes were released. If you note the rest of the unreleased episode titles, they will be changed when they get the correct titles.

Ah, okay. Yeah, I probably looked at them after they were released, when I was making sure it was the same show. 

The acting by the Middle Eastern family is awful. The UK kids are alright. Sam Neill is always good but is being criminally underused. As of the last episode I only watched the Japanese segments because the actress is compelling and believable.

As for the alien angle I was intrigued by the concept that these attacks are possibly being done via “remote control” and because the governments don’t know what to make of these random explosions and blackouts they’re deciding to use vague jargon like “terrorist incidents” to explain what they don’t know yet. But I’m not sure this is happening since we’ve seen images (in the desert) that might indicate something landed here already.

Edited by TimWil
  • Useful 1
On 11/10/2021 at 9:03 PM, Anela said:

The cheating husband has all the cheek in the world. "You're going to hate me now?!" Yes, and she has every right. 

I'm calling him Yellowbelly from now on. He's always cowering in the corner somewhere. I lost all respect in the first episode when he tried to run away with the neighbors and leave his kids. I cheered when the creature attacked him in this episode. Then he survived it! The guy's got a horseshoe up his patootey.

Edited by ferjy
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 11/12/2021 at 7:36 PM, ferjy said:

I'm calling him Yellowbelly from now on. He's always cowering in the corner somewhere. I lost all respect in the first episode when he tried to run away with the neighbors and leave his kids. I cheered when the creature attacked him in this episode. Then he survived it! The guy's got a horseshoe up his patootey.

I'm hoping the writers keep him alive just to give him an appropriately grizzly and cowardly future demise.  I'll be disappointed if they rehabilitate him or give him a suddenly courageous ending after the numerous times the character has been portrayed otherwise.

On 11/12/2021 at 10:54 PM, HerkyJerky said:

We FINALLY get some action this week, though!😲

It was about time!  

• Love 5
On 11/10/2021 at 9:03 PM, Anela said:

The cheating husband has all the cheek in the world. "You're going to hate me now?!" Yes, and she has every right. 

Loved the look of disgust from Yellowbelly’s wife when he didn’t want to go to the store with the older guy. 

Sad sack of sh*t. The older guy should have made him go and then shot him along the way.

• Love 2
On 11/12/2021 at 7:36 PM, ferjy said:

What kind of incompetent aliens are these? Eat the dirtbag, already!

• Applause 1
  • LOL 6

The camera panning to the “Space Invaders” arcade game in the diner... 😄

Poor Mitsuki. So close... the connection slowly inching along. I know the feeling. They must also be on Bell’s “Hi-Speed”. 

Edited by ferjy
  • LOL 3
On 11/14/2021 at 4:19 PM, ichbin said:

I'll be disappointed if they rehabilitate him or give him a suddenly courageous ending after the numerous times the character has been portrayed otherwise.

How many times is he going to be on the brink of death and then saved?? I’m dreading that your prediction may be exactly what they have in mind. Maybe the doctor who is going to finish stitching him up will turn out to be incredibly incompetent and Cowardly Custard (my British friend’s nickname for him 😄, I like that one better) will finally meet his demise. 

• Love 1

This show is so frustrating. Most of the characters are incredibly unlikeable (except for the Japanese arc). The American Soldier is completely unhinged. The British bully is such a cliche and I feel like what he's done in the canyon is incredibly removed from reality. 

The family... so the mum goes on a loot quest, and gets a side-quest to help out as a doctor. She shows up, does one thing, then leaves. 2 Episodes later, they seek shelter, and not 1, but 2 characters recognise her from the earlier interaction (bearing in mind this is all high-stress, high-turnover type of stuff - it's a crisis). Crazy. She's probably also the most passive-aggressive character I've seen in a while. 

The dialogue as well... jeez. She's cooking burgers. "I didn't know you could cook" - Dude, she made your girlfriends insta-dinner to the T out of pure passive- aggressiveness. She can cook a burger. But she's not cooking 4 burgers, one for each of the party. No! She's making double cheeseburgers for the kids. "How am I supposed to eat that"? How indeed... 

• Love 5

The most exciting part of this show is trying to guess how bright I need to make my screen to see anything.

I have zero sympathy or interest in any of the characters. I liked Mitsuki’s storyline at the beginning but, like everything else, it’s sooo slow and her sole personality trait is a one-dimensional obsession with finding her girlfriend despite the entire world being under attack. Aliens are killing everybody. Who cares if Hinata is hanging out in outer space. 

The navy seal is a laughable with how angry he is at everything. How did he get anywhere in life when his sole interactions with other humans is yelling f***  and threatening to shoot them. He should be thankful the british didn’t arrest or shoot him at the airbase with how ridiculously aggressive he was.   

I am thankful we are out of the lord of the flies crater, but it turns out I miss Spiderman’s baby brother, the bully. At least that kid had a personality. 

Aneesha’s character is frustrating. She went from bear mom to dishrag with zero interest in watching her own kids. It’s the end of the world and people around you keep dying, maybe keep an eye on your children. 

At this point I am rooting for the aliens to win. They at least seem to have a plan and take action. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 9

Trevante is insufferable. He's arriving in London and the first thing he shouts at a random person is "get me on the next flight to the US". Like... You have not noticed that there's a crisis going on have you? 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 11/25/2021 at 2:49 AM, oldCJ said:

I am thankful we are out of the lord of the flies crater, but it turns out I miss Spiderman’s baby brother, the bully. At least that kid had a personality. 

Yes!  You are not alone.

On 11/30/2021 at 6:00 PM, hurrrz said:

Trevante is insufferable. He's arriving in London and the first thing he shouts at a random person is "get me on the next flight to the US". Like... You have not noticed that there's a crisis going on have you? 

Agreed. "I've got a wife and I've got to return to her." Seriously dude? You think you are the only one separated from family? Although I did like the British officer's response. "May you find a worthy sailboat." 

I'm also annoyed by Mitsuki. She's on mission communications for the Japanese space agency which is a major career accomplishment. But she's also smarter than all of the other scientists, including radio astronomers, linguists, computer programmers etc. Not only that, she doesn't even consult with other scientists when she decides to transmit to the aliens because she knows her partner's Tik Toks will solve everything. . . because love.

I still can't believe they cast Sam Neil for a single episode. I guess it was for the pre-premier promos.

• Love 3
On 12/2/2021 at 5:21 PM, hurrrz said:

The way the writing has been, I wouldn't be shocked if Sam Neil shows up as the Alien HiveKing in the final episodes as the spokesperson for the Aliens. 

It's kind of hard to believe he came on board for only some scenes in the first episode.  I've been wondering if they'll bring him back as some kind of alien hybrid at some point, as ridiculous as that sounds.  So, yeah, the way this has been going it wouldn't surprise me either.

• Like 2

Of course they decided to go the "zero to hero" route for Ahmed. I would have been much more satisfied with his end if had been during an attack on him while he was once again attempting to slither away from his family.   

Did I miss something or was there no clear explanation for why those people were attacking the military and going after the Malik family?

On 12/1/2021 at 10:21 PM, xaxat said:

I'm also annoyed by Mitsuki. She's on mission communications for the Japanese space agency which is a major career accomplishment. But she's also smarter than all of the other scientists, including radio astronomers, linguists, computer programmers etc. Not only that, she doesn't even consult with other scientists when she decides to transmit to the aliens because she knows her partner's Tik Toks will solve everything. . . because love.

The Mitsuki story arc went from being my favorite to being my least favorite over the last few weeks for exactly these reasons.  I'd like to also say once again that I wish the Japanese arc was dubbed.  I doubt if this is being shown in Japan that all of the English portions would only be sub-titled and not dubbed.  

Only one more to go.  I can't see it being tied up.  At the same time I'm wavering more toward no on whether this should get another season based on the way it has progressed.  

22 hours ago, ichbin said:

Did I miss something or was there no clear explanation for why those people were attacking the military and going after the Malik family?

I figured these are goons that are infected by the Aliens (similar to the lady in Space) that are trying to stop the Dragonglass thing to make it to Pentagon. But I might be completely off. It's super confusing and makes no sense. 

On 12/3/2021 at 6:16 PM, ichbin said:

It's kind of hard to believe he came on board for only some scenes in the first episode.  I've been wondering if they'll bring him back as some kind of alien hybrid at some point, as ridiculous as that sounds.  So, yeah, the way this has been going it wouldn't surprise me either.

I’d forgotten Sam Neill was even in this! Seems to be a trend now. They bring in a big name in the first episode to reel us in, and we never (or rarely) see them again. Or they pop up in the last episode for 3 minutes. We get stuck with a bunch of unknowns throughout the show who can barely act. They did the same in Foundation with Jared Harris.  

Edited by ferjy
On 11/30/2021 at 6:00 PM, hurrrz said:

I started zipping through his scenes a couple of weeks ago. Waste of a storyline. 

• Like 1
On 12/4/2021 at 4:05 PM, ichbin said:

Of course they decided to go the "zero to hero" route for Ahmed. I would have been much more satisfied with his end if had been during an attack on him while he was once again attempting to slither away from his family.

Right, you predicted it. I’d rather have seen him grabbing one of his kids to give to the alien in exchange for his own life (with a look of disgust from the alien just before he’s snuffed). Anything would be better than what these writers have come up with. 

On 12/1/2021 at 10:21 PM, xaxat said:

Not only that, she doesn't even consult with other scientists when she decides to transmit to the aliens because she knows her partner's Tik Toks will solve everything. . . because love.

The only one good storyline and they ruined that as well. I didn’t even realize that I hadn’t watched last week’s episode when I sat down to finally watch this week’s. That says it all about how much they’re holding my interest in the show. 

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 1

3 minutes in to the latest episode and there is already a huge editing issue. They show the British kid being out on a Guernsey, show wheels moving "medic! Medic!" and cut to the kid being fully intubated. I'd think you'd show that process for eek factor. 

• Like 1