Type keyword(s) to search

Ghostly Media Talk

DanaK
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Neptune said:

‘Ghosts’ Return Tops 10M In Delayed Viewing As Procedurals Dominate
https://deadline.com/2022/11/ghosts-cbs-fall-broadcast-premiere-ratings-delayed-viewing-1235180089/

While that's a nice feel-good number, it's not really representative of how the show is doing. Live+35 is meaningless but it looks good. The numbers that keep the show alive are top secret (C3 ratings, meaning people who actually watch the full show including all the commercials, within 3 days of airing), but the overnights and L+3 usually track somewhat close. These were the numbers for the last airing of a new episode of Ghosts (Nov. 10). 0.57 in the target demographic share is respectable. 50+ numbers are completely irrelevant and are ignored by advertisers (because they're dumb--we have money and we buy stuff).

So it's definitely a middle-of-the-pack show and a jewel in CBS' crown, behind Young Sheldon. Show isn't at any kind of risk whatsoever with those stats. Todd, on the other hand, is circling the drain and the plug is about to get pulled.

image.png.3fa9889641762e64b61273a193f658cf.png

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

because they're dumb--we have money and we buy stuff

I believe the idea is that we're set in our ways and brand-loyal, so advertising is ineffective on us. Not so, while it's not terribly likely that a commercial will make me switch brands because I like it so much, it's still VERY possible for one to be annoying enough that I resolve never to use the product. Looking at you, Uber Eats and Carvana!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 11/22/2022 at 10:00 PM, NJRadioGuy said:

While that's a nice feel-good number, it's not really representative of how the show is doing. Live+35 is meaningless but it looks good. The numbers that keep the show alive are top secret (C3 ratings, meaning people who actually watch the full show including all the commercials, within 3 days of airing), but the overnights and L+3 usually track somewhat close. These were the numbers for the last airing of a new episode of Ghosts (Nov. 10). 0.57 in the target demographic share is respectable. 50+ numbers are completely irrelevant and are ignored by advertisers (because they're dumb--we have money and we buy stuff).

So it's definitely a middle-of-the-pack show and a jewel in CBS' crown, behind Young Sheldon. Show isn't at any kind of risk whatsoever with those stats. Todd, on the other hand, is circling the drain and the plug is about to get pulled.

image.png.3fa9889641762e64b61273a193f658cf.png

Wow, this is informative! How did you learn all this?

Also, given this, what's the best way to watch? Via DVR? If you have Paramount+, live on the app? (I assume they must track everything.) Are we still in a world where you're only tracked if you're a Nielsen family, or...? (That feels unlikely.)

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, wembley said:

Wow, this is informative! How did you learn all this?

Just check the overnights from showbuzzdaily.com. 

Also, given this, what's the best way to watch? Via DVR? If you have Paramount+, live on the app? (I assume they must track everything.) Are we still in a world where you're only tracked if you're a Nielsen family, or...? (That feels unlikely.)

No, it's very much still the case. Only those with Neilsen devices can have *any* impact on a show's performance. The key thing to remember with ratings is the networks themselves don't really care how a show does directly from a creativity standpoint. They care about how much they can sell advertising time for. Media buyers will pay X dollars for Y audience numbers in the demographic that they (often mistakenly) believe are the most susceptible to their commercials. If I had $250,000 to spend on advertising my company between 8pm and 11pm on Thursday night, I would seek out the strongest shows in each half hour. Ads within those shows would cost more than in shows with crappier ratings. They're there for apples-to-apples comparisons essentially.

A show could have 50 million viewers who record and watch the show on DVR within a week, but if every single one of them zaps the commercials with the 30" jump button, the advertisers are paying for no viewers. Why should "I" spend my $250,000 to have nobody watch my ad, even though the audience is wild about the show I'm paying to produce? C3 ratings measure those who DVR shows but play them back with commercials intact, as well as those who watch the show live-to-air. Live-plus-seven-day or L+35 or L+whatever is meaningless in terms of the decision to renew or cancel a show, although it does provide for interesting trends and demographics. But if a show is regularly pulling 0.2 or less in C3 on CBS, NBC, ABC, or FOX it's deader than a doornail come the spring. Ten years ago a 1.0 rating in the key demo would be so low that not only would the show get cancelled but no further episodes would be aired after that overnight. Today, that 1.0 rating would be a guaranteed renewal and would command extremely high ad rates. Think "One Chicago" and "Young Sheldon" here, among a few others.

As more eyeballs gravitate to streaming services, the share of viewers staying on linear TV's scripted shows grows smaller and smaller each season. As C3 and C7 numbers fall, the networks can't justify the price of a 15 or 30 second spot on any given show to the people buying the ads for GM, Ford, P&G, etc. Less income per episode = more cost cutting, usually in terms of shorter seasons (18 episodes is the new 22), big-name stars getting "killed off" or written out of the show, shallower production values or just outright cancellation. Old/expensive shows have to justify their high salaries a lot more than fresh new series--especially those with unknown stars. Of course, they need to be able to sell the show in syndication to Netflix or Amazon, etc, so occasionally they'll prop up a current series to boost episode count to get more for it on the back end.

A good summary can be found here.

Bookmark this link to check and see how your favourite show did the previous night.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, wembley said:

Oh, one more thing: so if you watch on DVR and don't FF the ads, but you don't have a Nielsen box, is that not measured? Thanks for answering all these questions!

When it comes to network broadcasts, if you don't have a Nielsen Box there is absolutely nothing you can do that will affect the actual ratings. Think of it like a political poll during election season. If you never answer poll phone calls or they never call you, nothing you can do will influence the poll numbers. Pollsters have a complex formula that simulates the responses of a large swath of targeted voters by only polling about 2000-2500 people. Same with ratings. There are estimated to be about 42,000 homes and 120,000 TV sets within those homes. Their sample heavily researched for various census factors and those 42k homes represent about 122 million households (including yours and mine).

There's a really good article here on how it all works. The article mentions that C3 was supposed to have been replaced earlier this year but I don't know if that's come into effect yet or not. I'm not in the industry so I don't know all the ins and outs.

Now, if a Nielsen device household TV displays the ads in the show then 100% that counts. For SVOD (streaming  video on-demand) services, I believe they can tell the number minutes watched and the number of commercial minutes displayed, but not for cable or OTA linear broadcasts on network television.

• Useful 3

https://tvline.com/lists/best-tv-couples-2022-hottest-ships-photos/abbott-elementary-janine-gregory/

Isaac and Nigel are on this list :):

Isaac and Nigel, Ghosts

Who says you have to stop living after you die? Isaac’s relationship with British soldier Nigel proved that it’s never too late to be your authentic self, even in the afterlife. And in Season 2, Isaac took tentative steps toward finding true happiness and love, eventually sharing his first kiss with Nigel in the Christmas episode.

• Love 3

CBS is thinking about starting a podcast for Ghosts!

I do viewer reviews for CBS and CW. In the survey I was sent today, they asked a lot of questions as to whether viewers would be interested in a podcast and what sort of things we would want to be covered.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
52 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

I do viewer reviews for CBS and CW. In the survey I was sent today, they asked a lot of questions as to whether viewers would be interested in a podcast and what sort of things we would want to be covered.

Does it go without saying that the podcasts will be spoiler free? I hope so.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
29 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Does it go without saying that the podcasts will be spoiler free? I hope so.

It sounded as though they were going to talk about the logistics of filming and interview the actors and such, but as I said, it is still in the planning stages. 

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

A weekly podcast after the show airs discussing things about that ep, like filming logistics, goofs, behind the scene's stuff, maybe if there was a guest star that week get their take on being on set. And then some little fun thing not about the ep but about the show in general or the actors themselves like which ghost would they want to haunt them, or if they were a ghost who or where would they want to haunt. 

This cast all seem like such fun people and seem to enjoy interacting with each other so A podcast with any combo of them (whoever is available that week) would be a blast. Also behind the scene's people, like the writer, the costume designers, set designers, I'd love to hear from them too since the set the costumes and the dialog are all great. 

• Love 1

I'm loving this show!  As usual, I'm extremely late to the party.  I don't know why I never bothered to watch it since I always record Young Sheldon right before it, which then picks up the first few minutes of this show. 

I'll catch up the show with On Demand, but season 1 isn't available.  Hopefully I can catch some episodes from them on the DVR, if they're replaying season 1.  I just caught the fan's favorites, so that was good.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ChitChat said:

I'm loving this show!  As usual, I'm extremely late to the party.  I don't know why I never bothered to watch it since I always record Young Sheldon right before it, which then picks up the first few minutes of this show. 

I'll catch up the show with On Demand, but season 1 isn't available.  Hopefully I can catch some episodes from them on the DVR, if they're replaying season 1.  I just caught the fan's favorites, so that was good.  

If you've got a subscription to Paramount, or want to subscribe to Paramount, you can watch all of season one on there, too :). 

But yeah, welcome to the fandom! Glad you're enjoying the show! Feel free to share your thoughts as you work through the series and all that where possible if you so wish!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I would love a podcast on Ghosts!  I have searched Apple Podcasts for them, and nothing comes up.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

If you've got a subscription to Paramount, or want to subscribe to Paramount, you can watch all of season one on there, too :). 

Thanks!  We'll probably resubscribe to Paramount in a few weeks, so until then, I'll catch up on season 2.  I'm curious about Sasappis' story, but that was probably covered in season 1.  Something to look forward to!!  

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Thanks!  We'll probably resubscribe to Paramount in a few weeks, so until then, I'll catch up on season 2.  I'm curious about Sasappis' story, but that was probably covered in season 1.  Something to look forward to!!  

Hooray :)! And yes, there's a really lovely episode in particular centered on Sasappis in the first season that I think you'll definitely enjoy. He's got some great moments throughout that season in general, so you're in for a good time there :D. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

A weekly podcast after the show airs discussing things about that ep, like filming logistics, goofs, behind the scene's stuff, maybe if there was a guest star that week get their take on being on set. And then some little fun thing not about the ep but about the show in general or the actors themselves like which ghost would they want to haunt them, or if they were a ghost who or where would they want to haunt. 

This cast all seem like such fun people and seem to enjoy interacting with each other so A podcast with any combo of them (whoever is available that week) would be a blast. Also behind the scene's people, like the writer, the costume designers, set designers, I'd love to hear from them too since the set the costumes and the dialog are all great. 

It's too bad I didn't read this before I sent my survey back. I'm sure they would have loved the feedback.

• Love 1
On 12/23/2022 at 7:14 PM, Mabinogia said:

A weekly podcast after the show airs discussing things about that ep, like filming logistics, goofs, behind the scene's stuff

My biggest question is: does the guy who plays Trevor get to put pants on in between his scenes or is he walking around in his skivvies all day?

• Useful 1
On 12/25/2022 at 7:34 PM, eel21788 said:

My biggest question is: does the guy who plays Trevor get to put pants on in between his scenes or is he walking around in his skivvies all day?

One of his favorite things to say in interviews is that he takes them off and keeps them off, lololol. Basically in order to get over the nerves. While I'm not a huge fan of Instagram, I recommend joining it just for all the little behind the scenes videos a lot of the cast puts up; in any of the ones where the cast is playing basketball between scenes, Asher definitely does not have pants on, lol.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, wembley said:

Asher definitely does not have pants on, lol.

But I think I read that he has some skin-colored undies, right?

Still. Brrrrr. 🥶☃️
Don't they shoot in freezin' Montreal?
If I was his mom, I'd send him a pair of pajama pants to wear between scenes that are super-soft plush on the outside and the inside, like these I got for myself and my daughters: 

Or maybe then he'd get goose-bumps when he took them off and exposed his legs to the cold air on set?

I thought his thighs were just a smidge heavier than the first season? Poor guy must have to really watch his diet and exercise, but not exercise too much so his legs don't look too muscular to be Bro Legs.

Okay. I'll stop now. He probably has his own Jewish mother to fuss over him.😉

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Much as I love the mental image of Asher Winnie-the-Poohing it everywhere the way Trevor does, yes he wears concealing underwear that's mostly obscured by his shirt tails.

I did at least know that he wasn't commando.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Much as I love the mental image of Asher Winnie-the-Poohing it everywhere the way Trevor does, yes he wears concealing underwear that's mostly obscured by his shirt tails.

Oh, totally, sorry, my post was unclear: he isn't wearing pants but yeah, he's wearing a dance belt, according to interviews. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
12 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Some really great pictures of the cast and enjoyable cast interviews in this CBS Watch article https://cbswatchmagazine.com/interviews/ghosts-good-will-haunting

Those pictures are fantastic! What a great-looking cast, damn. 

Really lovely article - I enjoyed reading about the places the cast themselves would like to haunt if they could, hee :D. Thanks for sharing that!

27 minutes ago, Neptune said:

According to this, I'm Sam. Seems fitting :). 

I feel for anyone who's a Virgo :p. 

35 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Those pictures are fantastic! What a great-looking cast, damn. 

Really lovely article - I enjoyed reading about the places the cast themselves would like to haunt if they could, hee :D. Thanks for sharing that!

According to this, I'm Sam. Seems fitting :). 

I feel for anyone who's a Virgo :p. 

The lady who plays Flower is the one who looks most different from her character to me

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Neptune said:

I'm a sucker for this kind of thing and....(drumroll)... I'm HETTY!!!!! Yay!!!! I love beautiful things and don't like change, so that does fit. But I don't hate the Irish because that would be like 32% self loathing, but I do wish I had her dress, and I'm a sucker for a redhead so I'm good with it. At least I'm not a Virgo! 

• Love 1