Type keyword(s) to search

Ghostly Media Talk

DanaK
  • Start Topic

(edited)
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

After all the stories we've been hearing lately of awful treatment of cast members on various shows, in terms of how various minorities are portrayed and whatnot, it's nice to know there's a show like this working to get it right, and actually listening to and respecting the actors in that regard. 

IIRC, Danielle said that she didn't want to play a stereotypical "sassy black woman this, or sassy black woman that," so she seemed grateful to "the Joes" (producers) for their portrayal of the characters.  The cast looked like they were having a lot of fun on set.  

Edited by Chit Chat
got the quote right
  • Like 3

Speaking of costumes, does anyone know how many identical outfits the ghost actors have?  Especially Alberta, Hetty, Isaac, and Nigel, whose outfits could be uncomfortable hot.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

"Trevor" was wearing his usual custume during the interview but had pants on which looked a bit odd to me. LOL

I noticed that too!  He looks good in pants! :)

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

"Trevor" was wearing his usual custume during the interview but had pants on which looked a bit odd to me. LOL

A couple of them looked a bit different. Trevor's pants look like they  have a drawstring.  Alberta's in sneaks and glasses. Thor's in pajamas. 😏

trevor.png

cast.png

season_3.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Neptune said:

I love this👆 but I can’t stop imagining that Danielle’s seatmate doesn’t really believe her, but instead is sure she’s just an Alberta/Pinnock lookalike who enjoys pretending to be the star of a popular sitcom in these types of situations.
 — Probably I’m just imagining that because that is what would happen on a sitcom.🤣

• LOL 6
22 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

That was great. I wonder why Utkarsh was missing? The cast looks so young in real life especially Rebecca and Ritchie. We haven't seen Hetty and Sass have a storyline together.

Utkarsh and his wife just had another kid recently, so I'm guessing he's probably busy with all of that at the moment D  It made all the talk about him and how he has to pretend like all the other characters/actors aren't there a bit ironic in that regard in this interview, though :p.

But yeah, that was a really fun interview. This cast just seems like such a lovely group of people, it's so sweet how complimentary and supportive they are of each other, and how appreciative they are of the fans. And it doesn't come off like typical actor speak with them, either. I really like that :).

I loved all their suggestions for storylines they'd want to see for their characters and the different possible pairings and interactions that could be explored more, I would be up for seeing all of that, and I hope we do get to see that stuff. I especially liked the point about how they've got centuries of these characters' lives and relationships to explore, so yeah, any stories they want to tell about that part of things, bring it on. 

• Like 3
On 6/22/2023 at 12:26 AM, Annber03 said:

Utkarsh and his wife just had another kid recently, so I'm guessing he's probably busy with all of that at the moment D  It made all the talk about him and how he has to pretend like all the other characters/actors aren't there a bit ironic in that regard in this interview, though :p.

But yeah, that was a really fun interview. This cast just seems like such a lovely group of people, it's so sweet how complimentary and supportive they are of each other, and how appreciative they are of the fans. And it doesn't come off like typical actor speak with them, either. I really like that :).

I loved all their suggestions for storylines they'd want to see for their characters and the different possible pairings and interactions that could be explored more, I would be up for seeing all of that, and I hope we do get to see that stuff. I especially liked the point about how they've got centuries of these characters' lives and relationships to explore, so yeah, any stories they want to tell about that part of things, bring it on. 

Utkarsh and his wife Naomi had a baby girl named Leka earlier this month. I suppose the only benefit to the writer's strike is that he can spend more time at home.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/21/2023 at 11:26 PM, Annber03 said:

It seemed like maybe they do know who got sucked off. It's obviously none of them.

• Like 1

I am on another site too, where we discuss all movies & TV shows. We can post polls, so I posted one for Ghosts. Who Is Your Favorite Ghost? Vote for 2. 

Thor was the winner with 4 votes, Alberta got 3, Trevor 2, Pete 1. There were 10 votes including mine. 

Just for fun. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I can see that, Thor has a rough exterior but he is actually quite kind from time to time. And this is in line with Robyn (the character Thor is based on from the original series) where  he is often portrayed as surprisingly intelligent considering the simple times he lived in.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

No Emmy nomination for Ghosts.  What a surprise.  🙄

Ghosts was robbed again. I can understand not choosing between the cast but the writing is so good.

• Like 5
  • Fire 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Ghosts wasn’t nominated

☹️

Although The New York Times didn’t name Ghosts, perhaps this applies:

Snub: Comedy

The long, slow fade of traditional norms of TV humor was apparent during the announcement of the best comedy nominees, during which the clips for “Abbott Elementary,” “Barry,” “The Bear,” “Jury Duty,” “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” “Only Murders in the Building,” “Ted Lasso” and “Wednesday” contained no jokes and barely any laughs. The merger of TV comedy into satirical drama is just about complete.

nytimes.com/2023/07/12/arts/television/emmy-nominations-snubs-surprises.html

IDK. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 
My sense of on-screen humor is pretty insensitive, so I rarely LOL. 
Or maybe it’s not me?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Yes they have, and Ghosts wasn’t nominated.

I meant that article but I did find the Emmy noms. I am also a Yellowjackets & White Lotus fan, I'm happy for Melanie Lynskey. I love Ghosts but I'm not taking it personally that it wasn't nominated for anything. Who would we single out?

It has always been said awards are "rigged". Though I wouldn't go that far, I am beginning to see that the nominating process is skewed, the nominees being for social & political reasons not related to their work. So many are for shows I can't watch anyway, subscription reasons. Which defeats the reasons the industry wants us to watch the Emmy awards, it is a lot less interesting if you can't watch the nominees in their shows. 

So I will just go on watching Ghosts, and disregard the awards. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, TVMovieBuff said:

It has always been said awards are "rigged". Though I wouldn't go that far, I am beginning to see that the nominating process is skewed, the nominees being for social & political reasons not related to their work.

Agree, not rigged exactly, but heavily influenced. I once worked for a network and was allowed to vote for the Emmys (I was an admin, my boss couldn't be bothered so let me vote for him), so firstly, the Emmy's are voted for by people who actually have a horse in the race and by people who are just picking whatever. I didn't watch half the shows nominated, I just picked what I liked or what was on our network. 

Ratings are a far better gauge for a show but even that is unreliable as not everyone watching is counted. 

That list of shows in the article, I've only seen two. Ted Lasso was... mildly amususing to me and there was nothing comedic about Wednesday. I wouldn't even classify it as dark comedy. It was by the books young adult drama with a name people recognize to give it "prestige". I liked it well enough, but it was not even remotely funny.

Alas, the era of sitcoms is fading which I find so strange because the real world is so dark and bleak right now that I would think people wouldn't want that cynical bleakness bleeding into their "comedy" but here we are, wallowing in our collective misery. Well, not us here, we have the good taste to enjoy a hilarious show with heart, great acting, amazing writing, and a very unique concept. Ghosts has won the Emmy of my heart, not that that means much for it's success, but if all my wishes count, it will live (oh, sorry, that was insensitive to our Ghost friends) um it will thrive for a long time. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

The long, slow fade of traditional norms of TV humor was apparent during the announcement of the best comedy nominees, during which the clips for “Abbott Elementary,” “Barry,” “The Bear,” “Jury Duty,” “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” “Only Murders in the Building,” “Ted Lasso” and “Wednesday” contained no jokes and barely any laughs. The merger of TV comedy into satirical drama is just about complete.

I think this is true, and you can see it in some of the comments made on various forums and others by those who think the British version of Ghosts is better than the American.  They claim that the American version is sillier and lacks the "dark humor" of the British.  Well, but a good comedy doesn't necessarily need dark humor, and the lack of it doesn't make it inferior!  We in this forum obviously like to tease out and explore the serious and even sad aspects of the plots beyond what the writers have written, but we all know that's not really the intent of the show.  It is meant to be goofy and heartwarming and not taken too seriously.  I can appreciate dark humor and I do like and understand British humor, but I also enjoy chuckling at some of the over-the-top one-liners of American Ghosts, as well as the anachronisms and implausibilities that we on this forum love to pick apart and analyze.  And in fact, I'm glad that I can watch an occasional show that doesn't drag me into the depths of despair and is meant simply to entertain and make us giggle.  I fear there's a current of humorlessness running though many people these days.

But I agree that we shouldn't take the Emmy snub (if it was a deliberate snub) too seriously.  I was a big fan of Supernatural and I don't think it ever garnered even one Emmy nomination for anything, never mind a win, because the judges don't take seriously any show in the sci-fi/fantasy genre.  But the show featured some wonderful writing and acting (particularly by Jensen Ackles), and that's what kept it on the air for fifteen years.  I suspect Ghosts won't have as long a run, but as long as it's around I'm going to continue to enjoy it, Emmys be damned.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, PaulE said:

I think this is true, and you can see it in some of the comments made on various forums and others by those who think the British version of Ghosts is better than the American.  They claim that the American version is sillier and lacks the "dark humor" of the British.  Well, but a good comedy doesn't necessarily need dark humor, and the lack of it doesn't make it inferior!  We in this forum obviously like to tease out and explore the serious and even sad aspects of the plots beyond what the writers have written, but we all know that's not really the intent of the show.  It is meant to be goofy and heartwarming and not taken too seriously.  I can appreciate dark humor and I do like and understand British humor, but I also enjoy chuckling at some of the over-the-top one-liners of American Ghosts, as well as the anachronisms and implausibilities that we on this forum love to pick apart and analyze.  And in fact, I'm glad that I can watch an occasional show that doesn't drag me into the depths of despair and is meant simply to entertain and make us giggle.  I fear there's a current of humorlessness running though many people these days.

But I agree that we shouldn't take the Emmy snub (if it was a deliberate snub) too seriously.  I was a big fan of Supernatural and I don't think it ever garnered even one Emmy nomination for anything, never mind a win, because the judges don't take seriously any show in the sci-fi/fantasy genre.  But the show featured some wonderful writing and acting (particularly by Jensen Ackles), and that's what kept it on the air for fifteen years.  I suspect Ghosts won't have as long a run, but as long as it's around I'm going to continue to enjoy it, Emmys be damned.

Cold Case is my show that should have been nominated for an Emmy. I think people assume that shorter seasons like on cable or streaming are better. I don't think so because sometimes characters mentioned in one episode become important in other. It's easier to see character development in a longer season.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 7/18/2023 at 12:08 PM, DanaK said:

Ghosts UK will be shown in the Fall as part of CBS' revised strike-proof schedule and paired with US Ghosts, but it's not clear if those will be new episodes or repeats.

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2023/07/17/cbs-announces-fall-2023-programming-556110/20230717cbs01/

Well, that will be interesting.  I wonder how CBS will choose to dole out the UK episodes...  Seasons 1-3 of the UK show have as many episodes combined as one season of the US show.  Will they run only Season 1, or just continue on to match each original episode of US Season 3?

I also wonder how they will market this to avoid confusion for new viewers.

Does anyone know if UK Season 4 is on streaming yet? 

• Like 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Does anyone know if UK Season 4 is on streaming yet? 

The show is on Max in the US and they are only up to Season 3

Also to note, I saw an article that indicated US Ghosts telecasts will be repeats, so I don't think they will attempt to match UK Ghosts when airing

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 1

They could air Ghosts UK seasons 1-4 since the seasons are much shorter in the UK than US. Season 5 will be airing in the fall in the UK and when it's run is over they could air it winter 2024. I don't think there will be any new content till next season anyways.

Sadly, we won't find out who got sucked off till goodness knows when :(

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

They could air Ghosts UK seasons 1-4 since the seasons are much shorter in the UK than US. Season 5 will be airing in the fall in the UK and when it's run is over they could air it winter 2024. I don't think there will be any new content till next season anyways.

Sadly, we won't find out who got sucked off till goodness knows when :(

The American version of Ghosts will have aired the same amount of episodes in two years as the British Ghosts did in five years. I wonder if Shelia's pregnancy will impact her decision to stay on the show?

• Useful 1
17 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

wonder if Shelia's pregnancy will impact her decision to stay on the show?

I wouldn't think Shelia would leave the show unless there was some serious complication. Given that she's already 5 months pregnant, and given the strike...

On 7/17/2023 at 3:15 PM, kathyk24 said:

I just saw on Twitter that Shelia is five months pregnant. I know that no one is happy about the strike but this will give her time with her baby.

...I would guess that she could extend the timeframe of her maternity leave by just showing up for a table read and scene shoots. My daughter is a data cruncher, and was able to extend her maternity leave by doing a few essential projects throughout the leave.

Plus, none of the ghosts are in every show, and Sheila is already one of the more part time ghosts. 🙃👻😉

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

The American version of Ghosts will have aired the same amount of episodes in two years as the British Ghosts did in five years. I wonder if Shelia's pregnancy will impact her decision to stay on the show?

Nah. They can hide her behind couches or big objects or film her from just above the bump up.  Or have her come down with some ghost condition that makes her bigger.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Nah. They can hide her behind couches or big objects or film her from just above the bump up.  Or have her come down with some ghost condition that makes her bigger.

I was thinking that she lives in California and Ghosts tapes in Montreal. She may not want to be away from her partner and baby for half the year. If Ghosts was shot in California it wouldn't be an issue.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, greekmom said:

Sheila's pregnancy will be no problem even if not for the actor's strike. There are so many 60s fashions that can hide it. Caftans for example. They can make up some ghostly rule about clothes, for Flower to wear something different temporarily. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't think the pregnancy is an issue. I think that she might want to take maternity leave to be with her newborn.

Luckily for actors, there's a lot of downtime on a set, so many mothers bring their baby and their nanny to work with them, especially if they're breast-feeding, so they can be together in their trailer between set-ups.  Plus, with such a large cast, she's only in a limited number of scenes.  Between having a fairly light shooting schedule to begin with and being able to have her child with her, she'll have options so long as production works with her.  Depending on how the timing works out, she may wind up taking a short maternity leave, and Flower just won't be in a few episodes, and then back to work.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, greekmom said:

She is the one who was sucked off but then, when maternity leave is over, whoever is in charge of who gets sucked off, who goes down and who stays in the mortal realm can send her back because it was a "clerical error".

Or have Flower go invisible to everyone, even the other ghosts (and us) for a few epsides. The actress could probably do some voiceovers from home and the props guys could move stuff around on her behalf. 

Or, being Flower, she could just go wander off for a few episodes. When she comes back she can talk about how much fun she had in the British soldiers shed, she went and looked at where Sass's tree used to be, tried to find where she had her bear hug. lol

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
On 7/26/2023 at 10:13 AM, possibilities said:

I don't think the pregnancy is an issue. I think that she might want to take maternity leave to be with her newborn.

At the rate things are going, her kid will be in college by the time the strike ends and they start filming again.

Yeah, there are a few factual errors in that article, especially the one about who killed Alberta, because that was a really important reveal. Maybe they wrote that before that episode aired.

Also, it's not clear yet whether the other Vikings left Thor behind by accident or by design. And they say Woodstone was built in the 1800s but in the pilot Jay says the house is 300 years old. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

At the rate things are going, her kid will be in college by the time the strike ends and they start filming again.

Yeah, there are a few factual errors in that article, especially the one about who killed Alberta, because that was a really important reveal. Maybe they wrote that before that episode aired.

Also, it's not clear yet whether the other Vikings left Thor behind by accident or by design. And they say Woodstone was built in the 1800s but in the pilot Jay says the house is 300 years old. 

Bjorn said Thor was abandoned 

• Useful 1