Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
LadyChaos

S1 Ep. 1: Legacy

Recommended Posts

Facing an existential threat that could bring down the entire Crime Lab and release thousands of convicted killers back onto the neon-lit streets of Vegas, a brilliant new team of investigators led by Maxine Roby must enlist the help of old friends Gil Grissom and Sara Sidle. This combined force will deploy the latest forensic techniques to do what they do best - follow the evidence - in order to preserve and serve justice in Sin City. In the premiere episode, an attack on Jim Brass (Paul Guilfoyle) kicks off a twisted conspiracy targeting the Las Vegas crime lab.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

39 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

Looking forward to this tonight! 

Same! I'm just hoping I can get my TV to cooperate, I haven't watched live TV in years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I am looking forward to it too but they are showing promos for it ad nauseum - that is getting very tiresome.

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, Trey said:

I am looking forward to it too but they are showing promos for it ad nauseum - that is getting very tiresome.

I don't have live TV so I've only found it, if I was looking for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Better for them to be running promos ad nauseum than the complaints that usually come up when people claim they had no idea something was coming on...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Even though I have Hulu, I can't watch this at it's only on Hulu Live, but thankfully it starts on FTA TV here in Australia Sunday night.

 

Will it be worth the wait?!

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Nessa said:

Even though I have Hulu, I can't watch this at it's only on Hulu Live, but thankfully it starts on FTA TV here in Australia Sunday night.

 

Will it be worth the wait?!

I'll be watching it tonight. We'll find out. Its only 10 episodes total.

Share this post


Link to post

I feel bad for Hodges......and while, given JF said that she calls Grissom after crap hits the fan, I expected to get more than 3 seconds of Grissom....so not happy.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

It was nice to see Sara Sidle and Brass again and whew! Sara and Grissom are still together.

I think Paula Newsome is going to do a good job running the lab and  I like her character. Folson seems like a Gary Stu but I like the other two members of the team and the pathologist.

The downsides are that the writing seems to be trying too hard, and the CGI is awfully fake.

I'll be back next week though.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

It was nice to see Sara Sidle and Brass again and whew! Sara and Grissom are still together.

I think Paula Newsome is going to do a good job running the lab and  I like her character. Folson seems like a Gary Stu but I like the other two members of the team and the pathologist.

The downsides are that the writing seems to be trying too hard, and the CGI is awfully fake.

I'll be back next week though.

I do think the new cast is good.

I think Folsom like LIKES Allie.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

I think Folsom like LIKES Allie.

Yes. And since she's about to move in with her boyfriend, that's going to be the  romantic tension of the season.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thank god they got a different stylist for Jorja Fox; the last one made her look terrible.

I am curious who they're going to blame this on. I'm going with the killer kid Hannah.

I wonder how horribly Hodges was killed.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, mertensia said:

I'm going with the killer kid Hannah.

Nice deep cut there.  She would fit the bill, being an evil genius who knows how to fabricate evidence.

I saw a theory on Reddit a day or two ago that basically says that the OGs are form of the 3 Wise Monkeys, and it kind of fits.  Brass is now going blind and Grissom has had deafness issues in the past.  The poster then thought that meant Sara was the 3rd and she was the crux of the matter.  (Hannah being the mastermind would also point to this, since she and Sara are "arch-enemies".)

However, based on what they established in this episode, I think the 3rd Monkey is Hodges.  Who better to be the one to "speak no evil" than the star prosecution witness?

Edited by SVNBob
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

Nice deep cut there.  She would fit the bill, being an evil genius who knows how to fabricate evidence.

I saw a theory on Reddit a day or two ago that basically says that the OGs are form of the 3 Wise Monkeys, and it kind of fits.  Brass is now going blind and Grissom has had deafness issues in the past.  The poster then thought that meant Sara was the 3rd and she was the crux of the matter.  (Hannah being the mastermind would also point to this, since she and Sara are "arch-enemies".)

However, based on what they established in this episode, I think the 3rd Monkey is Hodges.  Who better to be the one to "speak no evil" than the star prosecution witness?

I think Hodges is only a patsy, and easy mark because he is a public one now that he is a 'star witness'. There is no way the LVPD can stop it from being all over the news if Hodges is arrested.

I think if the see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil is true I think the 3rd monkey will be Sara.

I've considered Hannah too.....remember what she said in Unusual Suspect: You have to be really smart to get people to think something happened that didn't. There might not be any corruption at all, but if she can make it look like there is...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

I think Hodges is only a patsy, and easy mark because he is a public one now that he is a 'star witness'. There is no way the LVPD can stop it from being all over the news if Hodges is arrested.

Agreed.  There's no way that Hodges, the man who idolized Gil Grissom and made an in-universe CSI board game based on himself and the rest of the Lab Rats, would do anything to jeopardize the reputation of the LVPD Crime Lab.  The storage locker may really be his, but he''s got to have a reasonable and non-criminal explanation for it.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, SVNBob said:

Agreed.  There's no way that Hodges, the man who idolized Gil Grissom and made an in-universe CSI board game based on himself and the rest of the Lab Rats, would do anything to jeopardize the reputation of the LVPD Crime Lab.  The storage locker may really be his, but he''s got to have a reasonable and non-criminal explanation for it.

Like maybe he was studying cases because he suspected someone was tampering with evidence.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I wasn't sure this would be any good, but I'm glad to see it back. Love Brass, love seeing him back. I used to hate Sara Sidle, but I didn't mind her at all here. Very surprised at that! Would have liked more than 3 seconds of Grissom at the end, though. Cheap shot.

Poor Hodges. You know dang well he didn't set that up. I want to see how this plays out, though. I'm in.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Would have liked more than 3 seconds of Grissom at the end, though. Cheap shot.

I think they really did have to hold off on showing us Grissom until the end because otherwise he would have been the star and there wouldn't have been the space to introduce the new team. If this show is going to work long term we need to care about the new characters too and the pacing was better here than if we had to fit in another legacy character. 

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

I really enjoyed this, thought it was a good solid episode.

I can't help comparing it to NCIS: Hawai'i and CSI: Vegas is so much better - better characters (even without Brass, Grissom and Sara) and better plotting.  The new team seemed cohesive.

I wonder, when the original ten episodes are done, will the show continue with just the new team?

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed iy and was fine with the set-up and not seeing Grissom until the very end.

It does play that Hodges would be the patsy because he's always been needy in that he needed/wanted attention and to be recognized for his talents/intelligence.  He's never been a favorite but hopefully, he won't be as obnoxious (one can dream).  Also, I like the theory about Hannah being the mastermind behind this.

Sara used to annoy me and her and Grissom as a couple was not a thing I was into but I'm actually glad they are still together because really, thinking about it over time, no one else would put up with them.

Good to see Brass.

As for the new team, I'm only familiar with Paula Newsome but I do like the cast for the most part.  Not interested in the will they/won't they between Folsom/Allie...AT ALL!  Why do shows feel the need to do this?  How many people have jobs and outside interests and don't automatically look to hook-up with their co-workers?  Also, the whole everyone on the team has some sort of quirk?  Not original.  It's so freakin' lazy!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

As for the new team, I'm only familiar with Paula Newsome but I do like the cast for the most part.  Not interested in the will they/won't they between Folsom/Allie...AT ALL!  Why do shows feel the need to do this?  How many people have jobs and outside interests and don't automatically look to hook-up with their co-workers?  Also, the whole everyone on the team has some sort of quirk?  Not original.  It's so freakin' lazy!

everywhere I've worked....Ive seen coworkers hooking up. Workplace romances are a trope for a reason.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I liked this pretty good - I was never a huge fan of the CSI franchise but I did like the original CSI with the original cast pretty good, and this seems like a good follow up.

It was awesome to see Brass get the episode started with a bang, he was always one of my favorites on the show, glad they got him back, I think he will only appear in one more episode though which is too bad.

I like the new team fine, and I like that they had a regular case with the pawn shop arson/murder to go along with the bigger case to get a feel for how the new team works.

I wish we had seen more of Grissom than just the final scene, but I guess he would’ve overshadowed everyone else, anyway I look forward to seeing him again and I liked Sara’s interactions with the new team.

No way Hodges is guilty of misconduct - he wouldn’t tamper with evidence and frame people, but I wonder who is setting him up?

I liked that they explained why Catherine and Robbins weren’t around as they had both retired, but what about Greg? He was still with CSI when the show went off and I wonder where he is now?

Overall I thought this was a pretty good start and I will continue watching going forward.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, LadyChaos said:

everywhere I've worked....Ive seen coworkers hooking up. Workplace romances are a trope for a reason.

Not as much as TV/movies would have you think.  I've worked in the same place for a number of years with a hundred or more folks.  The number of couples who've gotten together is probably less than a dozen (together as in they all eventually wound up married or living together).  Either way, still not interested.

As for not updating on Greg, I did wonder about that as well.  I'd rather see him than Hodges, lol.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I was really hoping to have an update on Greg!  I had such a crush on him when the original show started. Then I came to love Nick. 
The new cast is ok, no one really annoyed me. I’ve liked Mel Rodríguez in everything else I’ve seen him in, kudos to him for getting on a big show!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think we need to give it time. this is episode 1/10. There is time to tell us about everything. We may learn about Greg, Nick, Robbins, Super Dave, Henry, etc....yet. We got 9 more episodes to go.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was a little disappointed. It felt rushed & choppy & the pawn shop crime had me all confussd. Were those both sisters of the victim? How did he figure one of them did it? Did I miss where they determined it wasn't a gun that killed him? Would this be considered a pilot, so I can excuse the rush of it all?

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Spicy Bubbles said:

I was a little disappointed. It felt rushed & choppy & the pawn shop crime had me all confussd. Were those both sisters of the victim? How did he figure one of them did it? Did I miss where they determined it wasn't a gun that killed him? Would this be considered a pilot, so I can excuse the rush of it all?

Yes, I'd consider this a pilot so I was fine with the rush of it all.  I figure they'll get it all situated in the next few episodes (hopefully, since they only have 10 total, I believe).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, LadyChaos said:

We may learn about Greg, Nick, Robbins, Super Dave, Henry, etc....

Cross Robbins off the list....during the dialogue with the new coroner, Sara mentioned that he was retired.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Spicy Bubbles said:

I was a little disappointed. It felt rushed & choppy & the pawn shop crime had me all confussd. Were those both sisters of the victim? How did he figure one of them did it? Did I miss where they determined it wasn't a gun that killed him? Would this be considered a pilot, so I can excuse the rush of it all?

They couldn’t find shell casings, and he realized that the shot came from a section of the shop where they found bits of a crossbow. And he found footprints from an orthopedic boot in the shop; personally, I didn’t notice the sister was wearing it but he must have.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, blondiek237 said:

Folsom was in the original CSI. He was one of the FBI guys when Catherine was shot (when DB was running the lab)

Same actor, not the same character.

Share this post


Link to post

15 hours ago, LadyChaos said:

I think we need to give it time. this is episode 1/10. There is time to tell us about everything. We may learn about Greg, Nick, Robbins, Super Dave, Henry, etc....yet. We got 9 more episodes to go.

Didn’t Nick leave the show before it ended? I seem to remember him moving on and Catherine having more responsibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Spicy Bubbles said:

I was a little disappointed. It felt rushed & choppy & the pawn shop crime had me all confussd. Were those both sisters of the victim? How did he figure one of them did it? Did I miss where they determined it wasn't a gun that killed him? Would this be considered a pilot, so I can excuse the rush of it all?

In the lab, they determined it was an arrow, and not a bullet; trajectory from back to front, not front to back. Basically, the opposite direction they originally thought. Also, the family “hunting” picture in the living room revealed they were all experienced bow hunters. The clincher was the guilty sister’s exact boot print found at the scene. 

Share this post


Link to post

Bringing the sisters to the crime scene for the confrontation and explanation to the audience, what was this Death In Paradise?

I don't think that I am going to like the continuing story of Hodges' falsifying evidence to be a hero. At least Grissom is on the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Daff said:

Didn’t Nick leave the show before it ended? I seem to remember him moving on and Catherine having more responsibility. 

Catherine left before Nick did.

Nick left to be the director of the San Diego lab...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, LadyChaos said:

Catherine left before Nick did.

Nick left to be the director of the San Diego lab...

Thanks. (Then he left SD to become McGyver’s caretaker). 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

There’s a need for a reminder that Matt Lauria was on Friday Night Lights (Luke) One reason why I wanted to watch. Also, he was on the original iteration of CSI in 2011-2012 for three episodes as an FBI agent not as Josh Folsom. But still…

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I like Maxine Roby, but still warming-up to Joshua, Allie and Hugo. Don’t like Chris.

Love seeing Maxine’s interaction with Sara, it felt natural. It’s also good to see Sara blending in with the team and started working right away.

Not particularly looking forward to see Hodges, always hate him. Among all the OG characters, why Hodges? Ughh 😣

Will keep my focus on Grissom, Sara and Maxine, for now.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I'm kind of thinking Allie is low-key going to obsess over Sara and Grissom and keep asking questions about their relationship so she can understand how they put their love for each other over their jobs and jeopardized their careers.

Share this post


Link to post

As of fan of the original and a longtime resident of Vegas, I was disappointed.  I'm not feeling the new cast except for Maxine.  Sara was one of my least favorites back in the day so I'm not thrilled that she's returning.  Even though Nick left before the series ended, I would have liked to see him and Greg again.  Wendy and David still working there would have been cool, especially if David took over Robbin's position.  But instead we got a new group of good looking twenty somethings who know everything.  Sigh...

Why does every CSI show have to have a quirky character?  This time around, the coroner seems to be the oddity.

I thought at first the pawn shop was a junk yard since it was out in the middle of nowhere.  I wasn't following that storyline.  It seemed like it was rushed or disjointed or something.  I felt like the writers were more concerned about explaining all the new technology rather than the actual plot.    

Didn't Catherine leave to go work for the FBI? I thought it was strange that Maxine said she met Brass at Catherine's retirement party since Catherine didn't work for LVPD anymore.  Or am I thinking of Nick?  Or am I thinking of someone from a different show?

I don't like Hodges being the suspect or being framed as the suspect.  

A couple of nitpicks:  Most, if not all of, Vegas homes do not have a crawlspace.  Also, the tourist asking where Circus Circus was and the cop answering that was on the north end of the strip was correct except that they were all downtown.  He and his family would definitely need to take a cab, not only because of the distance but because the area between the strip and downtown is very questionable, especially at night.  

Hopefully, the next few episodes are better otherwise, I think I'll have to let this one go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, juliet73 said:

As of fan of the original and a longtime resident of Vegas, I was disappointed.  I'm not feeling the new cast except for Maxine.  Sara was one of my least favorites back in the day so I'm not thrilled that she's returning.  Even though Nick left before the series ended, I would have liked to see him and Greg again.  Wendy and David still working there would have been cool, especially if David took over Robbin's position.  But instead we got a new group of good looking twenty somethings who know everything.  Sigh...

Why does every CSI show have to have a quirky character?  This time around, the coroner seems to be the oddity.

I thought at first the pawn shop was a junk yard since it was out in the middle of nowhere.  I wasn't following that storyline.  It seemed like it was rushed or disjointed or something.  I felt like the writers were more concerned about explaining all the new technology rather than the actual plot.    

Didn't Catherine leave to go work for the FBI? I thought it was strange that Maxine said she met Brass at Catherine's retirement party since Catherine didn't work for LVPD anymore.  Or am I thinking of Nick?  Or am I thinking of someone from a different show?

I don't like Hodges being the suspect or being framed as the suspect.  

A couple of nitpicks:  Most, if not all of, Vegas homes do not have a crawlspace.  Also, the tourist asking where Circus Circus was and the cop answering that was on the north end of the strip was correct except that they were all downtown.  He and his family would definitely need to take a cab, not only because of the distance but because the area between the strip and downtown is very questionable, especially at night.  

Hopefully, the next few episodes are better otherwise, I think I'll have to let this one go.

Catherine came back to take over the lab after Sara left her directorship to be with Grissom.

Wendy left in s11.

Most of the show is filmed in LA...they only film in Vegas for things that have to be filmed there.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm so happy this show is back. It was always my favorite of the forensic crime shows. But I guess so much time has passed since I've seen an episode that I have no memory of how the original ended 😆

Love Maxine and she has good chemistry with Sara. None of the newbs irritated me greatly so that's a plus as well. I actually did like Hodges, I figured his worship of Grissom was due to not having a father around. I don't remember if we ever knew what happened to his dad, but I do remember he was very close with his single mother, and that she dated Eckle at one point. I do not believe for an instant that he's guilty. 

I'm all in for the 10 episodes. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

So glad this is back, I missed my lab porn. I never missed an episode of the original. Glad it's Sara that's back, she was always my favorite.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, festivus said:

So glad this is back, I missed my lab porn. I never missed an episode of the original. Glad it's Sara that's back, she was always my favorite.

Grissom and Sara were my two faves. So Im loving the new show.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size