Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

DanaK
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

.In his job interview at the beginning, didn't they mention a plane crash in the dessert that started the visions? And then the government people talked about an "incident in the Mojave." So clearly, he crashed near another entrance to the past and that somehow made him psychically connected to it.

What's sad is that I am so used to this sort of tv science logic, I am literally nodding and thinking 'yeah that TOTALLY explains the dad's psychic powers!'.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

What's sad is that I am so used to this sort of tv science logic, I am literally nodding and thinking 'yeah that TOTALLY explains the dad's psychic powers!'.

Well in a world where a sinkhole is a portal through time that drops people from the sky, you need to use TV science logic. Real logic is not going to work.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

IMDB and my memory says that she was in Under the Dome. 

I rechecked IMDB and you are correct. But it looks like she was only in a few episodes, which is why I didn't remember or see when I looked before. I tried to block most of that show out of my brain.....

• Love 1
Just now, KaveDweller said:

I rechecked IMDB and you are correct. But it looks like she was only in a few episodes, which is why I didn't remember or see when I looked before. I tried to block most of that show out of my brain.....

Natalie Zea was the person that guy was hiding from in the first couple of episodes.

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yeah, "there ought to be dinosaurs." Stay tuned?

I think they are only what, 10,000 or so years in the past?  We won't be seeing dinosaurs. 

This is not a good show, and that's even giving them the benefit of the fact this was the Pilot.  There was a lot of clunky dialogue and questionable acting.  However, it was nice to see Ione Skye, if only in a minor role.  I'll keep watching provided answers aren't dragged out unnecessarily and the show doesn't entirely fall apart. 

• Love 3

So I’m not sure yet….. how could she be sure the daughter got away and the sinkhole did not keep getting bigger? And why would they set a press conference so close to the sinkhole— how can they be sure it won’t keep growing— even though they know more- it does not seem safe to be that close… why not try and drive the ambulance or other cars…. And the guy needing glasses, there are lots of cars to look I for some……the daughter is good but I’m not too impressed with the others but could also be do to the writing…  I’ll probably watch a couple more to see if it gets better but it’s got a ways to go….

• Love 3

The premiere was clunky and hoped it was Lost. Yeah, it had a lot of story and exposition to deal with and blew the FX budget on the sinkhole. that formed. Except for the psychic husband, no one is really standing out for me. The government head 'scientist'? Uh, they couldn't have found someone from USC or UCLA who might be of help? Experts in the sinkhole? Folks who knew what kind of sort of pterodactyl flew out of the sinkhole? Basic geology? They wouldn't set up a command centre so close to the sinkhole in case it grew and they'd be sucked in to it. 

Cue government conspiracy that this has probably happened before and just wasn't as large.

We get the helicopter wife, the son, the psychiatrist, the doctor, the cop, etc. Granted, when a disaster hits a street with traffic, one can't be choosy on what falls down the Aurora Borealis time rip. Yeah, and the husband finding the wedding ring under the rock. Timey wimey bubbly wubbly.  The prehistoric type wolves, and now some dude who comes out of the shadows.  And the lack of folks who got sucked in who didn't do grocery shopping so there is something to eat. 

It has potential but needs to find a focus or the show sinkhole will sink even more. I find it tough to get in to new shows as the ones I like seem to be yanked after 3 eps.

I tweeted about the show’s Lost reference. Apparently there were at least two. Someone from the show’s account posted a photo of the military/Air Force lady and asked if I recognized her. She was Cindy the flight attendant from Lost.

Edited by Frozendiva
Added a sentence
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I know that it is way, way too early to understand what the mystery is, but the show hints strongly to time travel, and that is where I want to make my comment.

Supposed that it is time travel and those victims travelled to the exact place they were, only 15kya - the time teratornis not yet extinct. How is it that a piece of boulder in an urban area stood there for 15 millennia untouched? As well, the ground around it kept intact for all that time, considering the fact above and that the area is quite active tectonically?

On a separate note, if Gavin wants to rejoin the Air Force, having a private meeting with a Captain will not do anything. He needs to see an Air Force recruiter, have his DD-214 assessed to see if he can rejoin, and then see if there is any billet available for him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

Supposed that it is time travel and those victims travelled to the exact place they were, only 15kya - the time teratornis not yet extinct. How is it that a piece of boulder in an urban area stood there for 15 millennia untouched? As well, the ground around it kept intact for all that time, considering the fact above and that the area is quite active tectonically?

While I agree it's not likely that a specially inscribed boulder was in place for so long, the active tectonics aren't that devastating to the landscape. Earthquakes will raise or lower or fold the land in a localized way, but it's not a volcanic event and the general landscape should be pretty similar. To use a different yet relevant example, the La Brea Tar Pits have been in the same, equally active tectonic area and are still pretty much as they were back when they were trapping mammoths and sabertooth tigers. Geologic features normally take a long time to change. 

Now, I still find it questionable that Eve managed to crash in the Upside Down exactly near where the Right Side Up specially inscribed boulder that PsychicDad was also familar with so yes, the show is straining realism in a LOT of ways. 

• Love 5

I think the concept is interesting but the execution is, so far, leaving a lot to be desired.  A lot of the acting was just baaaad, IMO.  Don't even get me started on the special effects...

I'm not one for hate watching shows because I just don't have the time for that, plus there is nothing about this show that leads me to believe for even one millisecond that it will last out the season.  I'm one and done. 

ETA: Oh yeah, the reference to LOST didn't endear the show to me AT. ALL.  But at least that show started out strong.

Edited by rove4
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, rove4 said:

I think the concept is interesting but the execution is, so far, leaving a lot to be desired.  A lot of the acting was just baaaad, IMO.  Don't even get me started on the special effects...

I'm not one for hate watching shows because I just don't have the time for that, plus there is nothing about this show that leads me to believe for even one millisecond that it will last out the season.  I'm one and done. 

I'm not done, but it falls into that "I guess there's nothing else on" category. I'll enjoy it while it lasts and unless it dramatically improves, that won't be so long.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

On a separate note, if Gavin wants to rejoin the Air Force, having a private meeting with a Captain will not do anything. He needs to see an Air Force recruiter, have his DD-214 assessed to see if he can rejoin, and then see if there is any billet available for him.

I don't think Gavin was trying to rejoin the airforce. But instead he was calling in favours basically to see if there was a military-adjacent  job the Captain could pull strings to get for him on the base. (so he could be close to his family).  

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Taeolas said:

I don't think Gavin was trying to rejoin the airforce. But instead he was calling in favours basically to see if there was a military-adjacent  job the Captain could pull strings to get for him on the base. (so he could be close to his family).  

Gavin expressively said, "I've been out of the Air Force in the last two years so I'm looking for a way back in." Nowhere that he said he wanted a civilian job within the base.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Natalie Zea wasn't in Under the Dome (which was a very bad show). She was in Passions, which was also very bad. I haven't watched many of her other shows though.

.In his job interview at the beginning, didn't they mention a plane crash in the dessert that started the visions? And then the government people talked about an "incident in the Mojave." So clearly, he crashed near another entrance to the past and that somehow made him psychically connected to it.

I thought there were going to be dinosaurs too. I'm not sure why, maybe that's just my go to for scary animals in a weird land. Saber tooth tigers are pretty creepy too though. And I haven't seen any show attempt to do them before.

Thank you.  I knew there was a connection with the dad's military career and he Mojave that they mentioned in the show.  I just didn't remember specifics.  

2 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

Well, yeah.  In the real world.  This is so far removed from reality we may as well go with it. 

When I was in bootcamp (almost 30 years ago- yikes!) people needed to go through bootcamp again to rejoin.  We had several "returning" recruits from both the Coast Guard & other branches.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

If that was supposed to be a prehistoric American, how likely would he look Scandinavian (as he looked to me)?

Because he's obviously the victim of a prior rift and really from relatively modern times! Not that I have seen a few of these but....

Also, as much as I liked Terra Nova, the "other people have traveled here to this time that we didn't know about" was a major feature of that show as well. 

• Love 2

I've taken some time to digest this one.  This should be right up my alley: time travel and especially to Deep Time, hell I've written stories about that.  But it didn't quite get there.  They clearly spent most of the budget on the sinkhole and didn't have quite enough left over for the Pleistocene creatures.  But it does in some ways feel derivative of previous shows: Lost, Terra Nova.  Although it's fun watching people play cover my accent.

This is definitely the Network TV take.  We have the fractured family trying to reunite, ex-military (always the "cool" military, Navy SEAL, fighter pilot, Special Forces, etc.  Never the army medic or the air force mechanic, or just the person that enlisted for their tour and then got out), teenagers in their twenties, just enough ethnic diversity to be profitable (I'm not complaining about diversity, just cynical) and so on.  All nice safe Network TV choices.  Although I do give them credit for making the cop woman vaguely antagonistic for now at least (and kind of a nice touch that someone with her outlook would expect the worst of people).  Scott the stoner seems to be a little more original.

There is the usual clunky writing choices, like why did Mom have to go find the ambulance rather than staying with her son in what could be his last moments? (although that I can handwave with the fact she doesn't want to see him die and/or she'll keep searching for it no matter what)  Why didn't they try to drive the ambulance back?  Why didn't they try to fortify the camp after they learned there was dangerous predators around.  And if you think the dire wolves and saber-tooth cats are bad, wait until they encounter their first short-faced bear.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Why didn't they try to fortify the camp after they learned there was dangerous predators around. 

Also, why didn't they use the vehicles that weren't destroyed as shelter? Maybe they couldn't fit everyone in them, but they certainly could have fit a few people in the large vehicle (bus?) that Josh and the SEAL/surgeon's daughter were in.

• Love 3
On 9/28/2021 at 7:10 PM, KaveDweller said:

One complaint...Eve recognized they were in LA because the mountains looked like the Hollywood Hills logo. But, if they are thousands/millions of years back in time as has been suggested, wouldn't the mountains look different? Erosion and earthquakes and all that would probably make a difference.

Maybe the Earth really is only 6000 years old. 

A badass survivalist lady cop. An interesting character choice. This strange old world was made for her. Middle Earth meets Zoo.

That rift in the sky looks like the Nexus from Star Trek: Generations. Obviously, passing through it doesn't have the same result, though.

A word of caution: broadcast networks have a knack for dragging out disaster movies until they don't know how to end them, unlike old time movie serials. Here's hoping this epic fares better.

• Love 3

So I’m not sure yet….. how could she be sure the daughter got away and the sinkhole did not keep getting bigger? 

What really made me laugh was how the sink hole was expanding rapidly, but stopped long enough for Eve and her daughter to say their goodbyes then started expanding again as soon as the daughter dropped Eve and started to run away again. How considerate of the sink hole!

• LOL 9
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I'm totally convinced that in this day and age someone could materialize in a sparkly cloud of pixie dust on a busy street corner and no one would think anything of it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 9/28/2021 at 11:07 PM, TimWil said:

Natalie Zea and the main regulars are OK but damn, the ones playing the government officials/officers/whatever are TERRIBLE, beginning in the very first scene with the female government official interviewing Hero Dad. This is shot in Australia, right? Because starting with her I’m already noticing some very dodgy American accents in this one. And when you have not-the-greatest actors struggling to do an American accent that’s when the acting is super bad. Watch that first scene again. That actress looks terrified to be there. I do remember her being dang purty on one of them Aussie soaps I used to watch in the UK, though.

And yeah, I’m on the team that thinks this should just be a miniseries. High concept shows like this just crash and burn way too often.

You mean Kimberley Joseph, AKA Cindy Chandler from Lost?

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Bobbin said:

I'm totally convinced that in this day and age someone could materialize in a sparkly cloud of pixie dust on a busy street corner and no one would think anything of it.

Well. Except for conspiracy theorists that would tell us that the government is making the pixie dust to get everyone addicted Speaking of which … where’s the conspiracy theorist that should be on tv explaining that the sinkhole was a government action or a hoax ( a la the moon landing was faked). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, mythoughtis said:

where’s the conspiracy theorist that should be on tv explaining that the sinkhole was a government action or a hoax ( a la the moon landing was faked). 

Dude, that sinkhole was clearly part of a renegade govt research team hell bent on destroying America! I did the research on the internet.

Also the sinkhole causes autism.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Dude, that sinkhole was clearly part of a renegade govt research team hell bent on destroying America! I did the research on the internet.

It was caused by 5G and the secret government underground base being destroyed by the "good" alien-atlantean alliance (the ones that built the pyramids) because it's clearly a time loop that cycles back over 30,000 years ago.  What else was around then?  Atlantis!

head-explode-gif-imgur-3.gif

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
Just now, Lugal said:

It was caused by 5G and the secret government underground base being destroyed by the "good" alien-atlantean alliance (the ones that built the pyramids) because it's clearly a time loop that cycles back over 30,000 years ago.  What else was around then?  Atlantis!

But what about the Reptloids and the Greys and their agenda for the human race? And the oil slick aliens that get behind your eyes? Dammit, I want the truth!! The truth is out there!

• LOL 7

I speculate that the two sides will someone learn to communicate, maybe by graffiti at The Rock, and when it surfaces that the DownUnders are living in a verdant land with no traffic or smog, millions of Angelenos will flock to the sinkhole and voluntarily jump over like lemmings.  Of course, some will be armed to the teeth, cause "Them folks need to be protected from the gubmint up here", and the military will drop a few regiments down because 'the Russkies might have their own sinkhole and they're looking to come out and take over!  We must not allow a sinkhole gap!'  Eventually the space beings will sigh and tell each other, "Well, we tried. Maybe we need to rework the experiment."

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 9/29/2021 at 12:20 AM, Bulldog said:

I'm somewhat surprised by the reactions.  I thought this was bad on soooo many levels.  Bad writing.  Bad acting.  Terrible CGI.

This show is hilariously bad. It's Under the Dome bad. And I love it. I only regret I didn't have anyone to watch and snark with me. Maybe next time. 

Possibly the funniest part is how the people sort of brush off the fact that they've fallen into an alternate reality and almost immediately start arguing over protein bars. 

My only hope is that the writers don't fall into the usual trap of thinking that people fighting with each other equals drama. Personally, I find that irritating and annoying. I want to see them find ingenious ways to survive. 

Anyway, I'm in for now, purely for the snark. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Well. Except for conspiracy theorists that would tell us that the government is making the pixie dust to get everyone addicted Speaking of which … where’s the conspiracy theorist that should be on tv explaining that the sinkhole was a government action or a hoax ( a la the moon landing was faked). 

I don't know about fakery, but the mysterious events all have the aura of a military experiment gone awry, like the Philadelphia Experiment.

• Love 1

Happened on this show at about the 15-minute mark, and decided to watch all the way through.  It's on my DVR for future recording, but I'm not sure I will stick with it.  It's poorly written, and the acting isn't helping things either.  The son of some main character finds his mother after being swallowed by a sinkhole, flames and wreckage all around, and the first thing he says is, "mom, where the hell are we?"  - wtf?  Not 'how are we even alive' or 'wtf happened'?  Don't get me started on the father back up above who's having visions about this strange new world that this sinkhole has taken his family to.

Seems more like one of those dime-a-dozen Netflix scifi or horror series that's fascinating the first episode or two and then drifts into garbage no longer worth watching than an NBC new Fall series.  I have to wonder if Bill Maher's joke about the series on Real Time last night was forced by the network, because Bill had this painful look on his face when he was making the joke that kind of mirrored my own contempt for this garbage.  Don't get me wrong - the Land of the Lost where are they, when are they premise is a great one, but it's just not being executed very well here, at least not in the pilot.  And can we please get a little more original with the script when someone is trying to medically assist a wounded person? Saying out loud to yourself before diving in to the rescue, 'you got this' is a weak excuse for dialog and character.  Yeah, let me take a break from helping you in your dire situation by pontificating about how nervous I am and how 'I got this.'  

I will give it another episode, but I don't have high hopes.

Edited by CainF
  • Love 1
On 9/30/2021 at 11:33 PM, TWOPrefugee said:

You mean Kimberley Joseph, AKA Cindy Chandler from Lost?

Heh heh. Yes. I forgot she was on Lost, she was one of the Aussie flight attendants, right? And I think she was once on that soap Neighbours, the one Margot Robbie was on. 

Presumably the street sign is just part of  the stuff that fell in the sinkhole?

I edited this because someone was nice enough to delete my first mess of  a comment so my first paragraph was no longer needed 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4
On 9/30/2021 at 4:12 PM, Bobbin said:

I live in LA County and commute to DTLA to work. After the past 18 mos and literally being wrapped in plastic to do rounds at the hospital, people here would see the sinkhole, look at what potentially fell in and then would say “meh, time to go”….

I do however like your cloud of sparkly pixie dust narrative. Totally agree no one would think anything of it. 

Edited by MyArchangel
  • Love 2
On 9/29/2021 at 9:58 AM, tv echo said:

The problem with shows that have mysterious, fantastical premises, like Lost, Debris, Under the Dome, Manifest and La Brea, is that, at some point, you have to provide a reason for the fantastical premise and solve the mystery - and usually that reason turns out to be a big letdown.

I think being let down by the mystery is not going to be a problem with this show.  It seems to be pretty straight forward for a genre show.  They've fallen through a portal in time or perhaps an alternate dimension.   In fact, the main character (forgot her name) seems to have figured it out already.  I think any let down at this point is if this turns out to be a major swerve away from what's been presented.

On 9/29/2021 at 4:35 AM, AnimeMania said:

They can't kill stoner dude, he works at the La Brea Tar Pits and is the only one who knows the real names and the behaviors of all the creatures they will encounter. Who is going to say "Oh My God! That is a Megatherium (giant ground sloth)" instead of "Watch out for that enormous elephant sized gopher looking thing?".

I think I'm turning into that guy.  I seem to always want to correct people when they confuse crocodiles with alligators (or vice-versa).

Is it just me that can't believe that an entire American city falls down a hole and the people are having trouble finding food. The ground should be littered with bags of Doritos and Big Macs. Where did the skyscrapers land? They have to search for miles to find some wreckage? Why not try to drive the ambulance or other cars, are they that wrecked? They still have gasoline and batteries that are useful. Too bad they didn't get any scientists, even Gilligan's Island had a scientist, he didn't have a name, but he had science! 

I don't think the hole was that big.  Maybe a mile in diameter.  That said I can buy that even if there were a McDonald's or two that fell, it wouldn't result in food laying on the ground.  I imagine any restaurant would have collapsed in on itself or be buried underneath other buildings.  Although, I do agree given the size of the collapse there should be far more rubble surrounding them.

Anyway, this show surprised me in how bad it was.  Is this what most network tv is like nowadays?  The cheap CGI and bad acting had me thinking this show would've fit in on UPN back in the day.

Edited by maczero
  • Love 2
On 9/29/2021 at 4:35 AM, AnimeMania said:

...The ground should be littered with bags of Doritos and Big Macs....

4 minutes ago, maczero said:

...even if there were a McDonald's or two that fell, it wouldn't result in food laying on the ground.  I imagine any restaurant would have collapsed in on itself or...

Admittedly, it's been almost half a century since I worked at a McDonald's, but don't the fries and burgers get "stale" in 15 minutes or so?

Next episode I would like to see day-old donuts being dumped down the hole by a teen who works at Mr. Donut (another fast food place on my pre-professional résumé) and has family in the hole.

Then in episode 3 someone would dump crates of healthy fruit and vegetables.

It could be a recurring gimmick to drum up some social media fun around the show.

However, I was fine with the Lost finale, so what do I know about the zeitgeist of my fellow watchers of scifi?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Next episode I would like to see day-old donuts being dumped down the hole by a teen who works at Mr. Donut (another fast food place on my pre-professional résumé) and has family in the hole.

I would imagine every country in the world would be paying L.A. to dump their garbage down the hole.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, maczero said:

I don't think the hole was that big.  Maybe a mile in diameter.  That said I can buy that even if there were a McDonald's or two that fell, it wouldn't result in food laying on the ground.  I imagine any restaurant would have collapsed in on itself or be buried underneath other buildings.  Although, I do agree given the size of the collapse there should be far more rubble surrounding them.

It looked like there was an entire building down there, maybe an office building, but it wasn't stable, it was kind of crushed. It wouldn't be safe to enter it. Although, outside isn't real safe either.

But I also agree there was not enough stuff down there. It is downtown LA, there would be lots of buildings and more cars considering the bumper to bumper traffic. Maybe it is scattered and stuff is far away like the ambulance? I'm not sure why the ambulance was so far away, but it was so other stuff could be. Or maybe not everything/everyone that fell in the sinkhole also fell through the portal? Maybe some people just died at the bottom of the hole?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Then in episode 3 someone would dump crates of healthy fruit and vegetables.

That's funny but not actually such a crazy idea, especially if the government knows that there is a way to reach whoever may have survived (since they sent the drone). Why not send emergency supplies (food, medicine, soap, towels, toilet paper, radio or other communication device) via drone, or even drop them in bags or boxes down the sinkhole? Even if they think no one could have survived, it wouldn't be that expensive and it can't hurt.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Paloma said:

If the pandemic has taught us anything, it's that we should always have at least 6 months' supply of t.p.

I laugh because this is true. I was literally looking at my supply of TP today thinking "I have three Charmin megapacks, should I stock up more?"

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I would imagine every country in the world would be paying L.A. to dump their garbage down the hole.

I mean this would actually be a boon to the Los Angeles economy.

5 hours ago, Paloma said:

That's funny but not actually such a crazy idea, especially if the government knows that there is a way to reach whoever may have survived (since they sent the drone). Why not send emergency supplies (food, medicine, soap, towels, toilet paper, radio or other communication device) via drone, or even drop them in bags or boxes down the sinkhole? Even if they think no one could have survived, it wouldn't be that expensive and it can't hurt.

I think it depends on how "secret" the government wants the notion of survivors to be to the general public.  Unless they specifically tell the public that there's a rift in time at the bottom of the sinkhole, is there any realistic reason for the public to think anyone survived?

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:
46 minutes ago, Paloma said:

If the pandemic has taught us anything, it's that we should always have at least 6 months' supply of t.p.

I laugh because this is true. I was literally looking at my supply of TP today thinking "I have three Charmin megapacks, should I stock up more?"

I checked a couple of days ago and had 6 megapacks--I decided to get 2 more to be on the safe side. If nothing else, come the apocalypse I can trade some for food.

Edited by Paloma
typo
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Paloma said:

If nothing else, come the apocalypse I can trade some for food.

I lived in Eastern Europe for a few years in the 90s. I learned to live without so many things I was used to and didn't even mind, but I ALWAYS did whatever was necessary to have TP. Going without was a bridge too far for me. 😁

• Love 3
1 hour ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I think it depends on how "secret" the government wants the notion of survivors to be to the general public.  Unless they specifically tell the public that there's a rift in time at the bottom of the sinkhole, is there any realistic reason for the public to think anyone survived?

Only if there are other psychics out there who start talking to the press.

But there are conspiracy theorists out there who believe everything. So I am sure there'd be some people who would just start talking about the government hiding survivors of any accident. In this case they may get lucky and be correct.

• Love 3