Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: All I Need is a Miracle

• Start Topic

A new group of charter guests arrive with high spirits and even higher expectations. As Sandy joins the guests for dinner, Mathew puts extra pressure on himself to impress his Captain. And when Katie voluntarily goes short-handed in the stew department, Malia worries the workload will become overwhelming for the deck crew after rookie mistakes are made.

Bravo Airdate: 09/27/2021

This season the episodes will be airing a week earlier on Peacock Premium.  You can comment on the episode once it is live there.  Anyone waiting for the Bravo airing, be aware there will be early comments on the episode - so don't enter if you don't want to be spoiled!

I can't decide if Sandy screaming at Malia was just an act for the camera or if Sandy really is that unstable. I'm leaning towards the latter, but I don't know. 

Malia sort of tip-toed around it but I wish she had just come out and told Katie how selfish she was being for not bringing back Delaney. She's right, another pair of hands is just another pair of hands, whether they need help setting up the beach picnic or doing laundry. Katie would rather everyone do extra work than deal with another stew.

• Love 21

Katie has no business being a manager. She'd rather run everyone ragged than (heaven forbid!) supervise an employee who may not yes her to death like Courtney. Furthermore, Delaney seemed pretty chill to do anything she was told to do and there were a thousand things she could have done on this charter. 

That said, everyone seemed relieved and happy not to have to deal with Miss Bahamas and her wig. 

Edited by TV Glotzer
  • Love 21

They had to replace Lexi drama with Sandy drama.  Both women cooled down fast enough so probably hyped.  For instance, did Sandy curse out Malia on one take or did they do multiple takes?

It does look like Katie bit off more than she could handle, with Malia complaining.  Courtney may have said she was tired several times but she suggested that the two of them could do the last couple of charters.  They'll probably be okay when they have one less crew member to split the tips.

Of course they'd have a picnic on the top of a little island when they're undermanned.  Not just two stews but David hobbled.  But that did look like a very special setting.

Then it was the needy Mat, having to please Sandy.  He was annoying Katie, constantly asking how they liked his dishes.

More parking drama to end the episode on a cliffhanger.  I'm sure the docking went off without incident.

• Love 5

The Captain Sandy Show (formerly known as Below Deck Med). What a crock of shit. And the scolding of Malia by CS was so fake. It was almost like it was planned so both of those shrews (Malia and CS) could get some redemption from all of the fallout last season.

Lexi will be coming back someday. Just for the usual Bravo drama.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Sandy has more sides than an octagon. She was hands off the drama all season as opposed to micromanaging every other season. Now she’s screaming about someone got a bruise.  It’s hard to know what she wants.

Airtime, and resulting attention.

• Love 13

I agree with those of you upthread who mentioned that they should have brought Delaney back just for another set of hands.  That is too much for 2 stews even with the help of the deck crew.  Will they have one stew doing dinner service while the other does all the evening turn down, etc?  With Lexi gone there is no more cabin problem and tip division would be as it was previously. God I can’t stand Matt.  He is a big man/baby.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Love 9

Even if Katie has her team rotate and that nobody is stuck in the laundry full time I think she did herself and Courtney a disservice not have Delaney come back and just stay in the laundry, you don't need special certification to do that, lol, Delaney already had the experience of that duty, why not have her tucked away in laundry and brought out for service at dinner and the beach picnic.

One look at that wig and we all knew Lexi is not rich, with all the Bravo celebrity hair products, extensions, etc...Lexi could have been a walking advertisement for any of those products.

I think this is the first season there had been absolutely no hook ups on board, no sex at all so far...amazing.

Was Malia smirking when Capt. Sandy was blasting her for not reporting David's injury? It looked like they set up that scene because of her smirk.

One season Capt. Sandy was all over Hannah for not having spectacular table scapes, she got on that Brazilian chef for something visual if I am remembering correctly, she also kept popping up at dinners asking if everything was ok or hot almost begging the guests to say something negetive, this season Sandy has not said one word about Mat's lack of garnish and his serving family style meals which is expected on a 5 star yacht as she would say.  I wonder why she is suddenly not bothered by any of that?

• Love 13
49 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

One season Capt. Sandy was all over Hannah for not having spectacular table scapes, she got on that Brazilian chef for something visual if I am remembering correctly, she also kept popping up at dinners asking if everything was ok or hot almost begging the guests to say something negetive, this season Sandy has not said one word about Mat's lack of garnish and his serving family style meals which is expected on a 5 star yacht as she would say.  I wonder why she is suddenly not bothered by any of that?

It’s not in the scripts for this season?

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Emmeline said:

I agree with those of you upthread who mentioned that they should have brought Delaney back just for another set of hands.  That is too much for 2 stews even with the help of the deck crew.  Will they have one stew doing dinner service while the other does all the evening turn down, etc?  With Lexi gone there is no more cabin problem and tip division would be as it was previously. God I can’t stand Matt.  He is a big man/baby.

I so agree about Delaney. There must have been something we didn't see because why else would you not want someone who got along with everyone and was a good worker? I get the feeling, I've felt that way at times. "It'll be easier to just do it myself." If you can't trust someone it's difficult to delegate.

Mat, he is good at getting food out and the guests are appreciative. That is what you need as a chef, and it brings in the tips. Lexi was disrespectful to him from the start, so I get why there was animosity and a chef if more important than a lazy stew.  

• Like 1
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

this season Sandy has not said one word about Mat's lack of garnish and his serving family style meals which is expected on a 5 star yacht

I think Mat did that mostly for the guests who had so many conflicting requests. I guess I am low class because family style would not bother me.

• Love 9

That Italian 3-course dinner looked good but portions seemed small

Mat said he cooked the Bolognaise sauce for 3 hours.

I think if he had to cook specific dishes and plate for the picnic and then produce a 3-course meal for dinner, it would be a lot to handle.  First of all, I don't know if they could do individual dishes for the picnic because of the logistics of taking the food out on the tender and then hiking it up the hill.

But even if they had a regular lunch, it would be a lot of work for one person.  He'd need help to do the meal prep, maybe sous chefs.  One reason season, the chef had to make like 70 dishes because there were like 7 or more courses for one meal.  That chef got help from the deck crew, laying out and prepping the dozens of little dishes and bowls.

I think they deliberately understaff the crew to stress them, cause more potential drama  Courtney said that she's only worked on 60-meter or greater yachts and they usually had way larger crews.  This yacht is 55-meters so not that much smaller and they're typically having 6-12 guests it appears.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, nokat said:

I think Mat did that mostly for the guests who had so many conflicting requests. I guess I am low class because family style would not bother me.

The other chef's that we have seen took great care in plating whether it was for a platter or an individual plate...presentation is part of any good chef's training...even a radish rose counts!

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

The other chef's that we have seen took great care in plating whether it was for a platter or an individual plate...presentation is part of any good chef's training...even a radish rose counts!

My dream vacation wouldn't include a yacht. I wouldn't expect the same as I would get from a fully staffed restaurant. Perfectly plated and placed in front of you. If you look at history, you would have a tray held in front of you as you served yourself.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I wouldn't charter a yacht, I am prone to Mal de Mer,  I stick to Viking River Cruises where dinner is served as individually plated and beautifully garnishes, lol.

I watch a lot of PBS and there is always the Viking River Cruises ads. I'm so tempted. I have to update my passport and I'm not sure anyone is letting Americans in.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, nokat said:

I watch a lot of PBS and there is always the Viking River Cruises ads. I'm so tempted. I have to update my passport and I'm not sure anyone is letting Americans in.

They are currently sailing, I leave in 48 days for Provence!  Lot's of covid testing prior and on board, we are triple vaxxed and there are mask mandates, probably safer to go now then ever. This will be our 3rd river,  we have done one ocean and next year I am doing a girls trip to Paris and Normandy with Viking.    To my knowledge one cannot request a beach picnic, 70's disco night or ask the staff to dress up ala Magic Mike.

You will never be sorry you went on a VRC.  

• Useful 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, aghst said:

Those European river cruises are supposedly stupefyingly expensive.

Maybe enjoyable and worth it for some but they seem to target well-off people.

Probably PBS does target well-off people. I donate when I can to keep good shows on the air. I'm not well off, but I have saved for a vacation.

• Love 3

My apologies to TexasGal, we got a bit off topic.

@BaltimoreBetty, I continued the topic in the Small Talk thread. You may want to bring your feather duster.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, aghst said:

That Italian 3-course dinner looked good but portions seemed small

Mat said he cooked the Bolognaise sauce for 3 hours.

I think if he had to cook specific dishes and plate for the picnic and then produce a 3-course meal for dinner, it would be a lot to handle.  First of all, I don't know if they could do individual dishes for the picnic because of the logistics of taking the food out on the tender and then hiking it up the hill.

But even if they had a regular lunch, it would be a lot of work for one person.  He'd need help to do the meal prep, maybe sous chefs.  One reason season, the chef had to make like 70 dishes because there were like 7 or more courses for one meal.  That chef got help from the deck crew, laying out and prepping the dozens of little dishes and bowls.

I think they deliberately understaff the crew to stress them, cause more potential drama  Courtney said that she's only worked on 60-meter or greater yachts and they usually had way larger crews.  This yacht is 55-meters so not that much smaller and they're typically having 6-12 guests it appears.

I thought the portions seemed small too. 

And on staffing,  that must be it, why turn down help? Production likes the drama.  They could have used Delaney, especially with David injured.  

• Love 4
On 9/20/2021 at 7:55 PM, hoosier80 said:

Oh I could see Lexi coming back as a charter guest (from hell).

That's assuming, of course, that she ever manages to find a rich enough sugar daddy to bring her on a charter.

Maybe she can take lessons on dating 80-year-old sugar daddies from Brittany on 90 Day Fiance.

Edited by Xebug67
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I think I understand why Katie didn’t want Delaney back, or maybe I’m projecting. It’s frustrating to watch all of them, but especially Katie, talk around this issue.

Delaney lied on her resume. I know I keep harping on this but I think it’s a big deal. Lying about job skills is unprofessional. Lying about skills on a yacht, where safety and liability are paramount, is reprehensible. Delaney has told us herself, in her dumb doe-eyed way, about many times when she’s gotten her way through manipulation. I absolutely despise people like that. I know no one is a huge fan, but I may be exceptionally disgusted by it. My Meyers-Briggs, Enneagram, Gallup Strengths, and even horoscope are all about how my type values order, consistency, and integrity. Katie may be similar in that respect, but held back by her anxiety and need for people to like her.

So Delaney gets away with her lie because they’re desperate. She ends up canceling out Lexi’s laziness and not much more. She has to be trained on every single process. Sure, she puts on the chipper, hardworking act. It’s part of the manipulation.

Bringing Delaney back would:

1. Necessitate more hand-holding. There’s no way she mastered laundry already. She’s a fuckin dingbat. She’s not a turnkey employee. 
2. Reward her lies and thirst. Some people are pragmatic and will overlook that if they need help, or maybe not be bothered by it at all. For better worse, I’m not those people. I’ll take on the extra work rather than bring back little miss Evewything is Epic.

Also I just think she’s fake and annoying and a try-hard. If she’s a qualified crew member who does her job competently, I can deal. If she’s skating by on her dubious charms, that’s a no from me, Delonny. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

Pretty sure they've had people overstating their experience and skills on their resumes before on BD shows.

One season the chief stew was complaining that one of the stews lied about 5-star service or something like that.  She couldn't make a lot of common drinks either.

I think it's likely that Bravo doesn't pay close attention to the CV of these cast members.  In fact, they probably will pick someone obviously embellishing on the resumes, just so that other cast members could get pissed at the false resume claims.

Like I said before, they seem to deliberately under-staff these yachts, compared to comparably-sized yachts in real charters, to cause the cast to be overworked and to create potential drama from these conditions.

So slipping in unqualified crew, like chefs on more than one occasion, is part of that script, to have potential confrontations vs. the inexperienced or underperforming crew/cast.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 9/21/2021 at 9:03 AM, nokat said:

I have never been on a cruise and likely will never go on one (the only one that has even remotely tempted me would be an Alaskan cruise - it looks to be very scenic).  Being trapped inside of a tin can stuck on the ocean with however many other thousands of guests the cruise ship transports is one of my worst nightmares.  I had a hard enough time being trapped in a tour bus with 47 other people over the course of my 3 1/2 week trip to Europe.  But at least at some point in the day we got off the bus and away from each other.  On a ship in the middle of the ocean there's no escaping, unless one were to steal a lifeboat that is.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 9/23/2021 at 10:05 AM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

I think I understand why Katie didn’t want Delaney back, or maybe I’m projecting. It’s frustrating to watch all of them, but especially Katie, talk around this issue.

Delaney lied on her resume. I know I keep harping on this but I think it’s a big deal. Lying about job skills is unprofessional. Lying about skills on a yacht, where safety and liability are paramount, is reprehensible. Delaney has told us herself, in her dumb doe-eyed way, about many times when she’s gotten her way through manipulation. I absolutely despise people like that. I know no one is a huge fan, but I may be exceptionally disgusted by it. My Meyers-Briggs, Enneagram, Gallup Strengths, and even horoscope are all about how my type values order, consistency, and integrity. Katie may be similar in that respect, but held back by her anxiety and need for people to like her.

So Delaney gets away with her lie because they’re desperate. She ends up canceling out Lexi’s laziness and not much more. She has to be trained on every single process. Sure, she puts on the chipper, hardworking act. It’s part of the manipulation.

Bringing Delaney back would:

1. Necessitate more hand-holding. There’s no way she mastered laundry already. She’s a fuckin dingbat. She’s not a turnkey employee. 
2. Reward her lies and thirst. Some people are pragmatic and will overlook that if they need help, or maybe not be bothered by it at all. For better worse, I’m not those people. I’ll take on the extra work rather than bring back little miss Evewything is Epic.

Also I just think she’s fake and annoying and a try-hard. If she’s a qualified crew member who does her job competently, I can deal. If she’s skating by on her dubious charms, that’s a no from me, Delonny. 

As much as I despised Elmer Fudd, especially the manipulating way in which she tried turning it around on Katie about having been told how much everyone liked her and what a good job she'd done, trying to guilt Katie into keeping her on the job, if for nothing else than to do laundry and clean toilets, I would have kept her on after Lexi was fired just for the sake of having two extra hands when it came to doing grunt work and/or carrying plates and other things for e.g. the beach "picnic". 

As much as I still loathe Malaria as a person, I find her to be very good at her job, and it kills me to say this but she's correct in that Katie's decision not to keep Delaney on is also impacting the deck crew who are pitching in to help pick up the slack left in the void of having a third stew.

• Love 10

Never been on a cruise either but I believe they're planned around shore excursions so that you can at least get lunch at a port, along with add-on trips to attractions which are some distance from the port.

But the charters you see on BD shows, they don't often go on shore.  If you research Croatia, there are a lot of historic sites which might be appealing to many people.  Sometimes they will have dinners hosted in a castle or something.

So the charters, as depicted on BD at least, are about self-contained experience on the yacht, where you take all your meals, where you sleep and where you do all your activities.

Thus the emphasis on water sports and such.

I don't know if people prefer to jet ski in Europe as opposed to go on tours of castles, forts, or explore small villages which go back hundreds or thousands of years.  They do cast a fair number of people under 40 or even 30 so for younger charter guests, jet skis and slides may be what they want.

Plus, showing people walking around old villages or say castles is probably not as "exciting" TV as watching guests ride jet skis, even go places where they're not suppose to or falling off of them.  They also film drone shots of jet skis creating wakes around the yachts.

The European river cruises are also giving you a lot of included things on the boat like most of the meals.  But they go by these historic cities so it would be pointless to go on them unless you planned to spend some time in these places, on shore as opposed to watching them from the ship.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Bravo would say the charter guests can do excursions before or after the charter.

When they would be staying on land and can really set time for visiting on land.

I wonder if the billionaires who own those giant yachts are only staying on board when they dock in glamorous ports like Monaco, the French Riviera or Portofino.

Or do they go to fancy restaurants in those places, which cater to the rich?

Or they go shopping or go to the casinos.

These yachts of course have helipads and some even have submarines!

• Love 4

The crew is already showing the strain of being down a stew.  Lucky they have mellow guests.

I wish Katie had shown some backbone the morning after.  Simply go to Delaney, ask if she will stay because Lexi is going, and if she says yes, march in and fire Lexi on the spot. 

No need to involve the captain or anybody else.  Then you inform Sandy, who has been going on and on and on all season for her to make her own decisions.

And Mat:  Why put the dark fish on a plate in the first place?  It looked like he had plenty.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 9/20/2021 at 7:55 PM, hoosier80 said:

Oh I could see Lexi coming back as a charter guest (from hell).

OMG that would be too much and she would bring her revenge list for sure, look out, especially Matt ❤️🔥

• Love 1
On 9/23/2021 at 1:05 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Delaney lied on her resume. I know I keep harping on this but I think it’s a big deal. Lying about job skills is unprofessional. Lying about skills on a yacht, where safety and liability are paramount, is reprehensible.

Katie confirmed this on WWHL - it was her primary reason for not keeping Delaney.  After watching last night though I'm even more convinced she made the wrong decision.  Even having someone who is only semi-trained on laundry and cabins is more useful than having no one and running herself and Courtney ragged.  I actually like Katie, I think she seems like a decent person but we are not seeing someone with managerial skills here.  Maybe it's easier to manage 7 stews than it is two?  

All of that said, and as unpleasant as it is to think about poor Courtney working 16 hour days without a break, I'm surprised no one on the show has pointed out that ... it's only for two more charters.  Isn't that less than one week in BD time?  One week of exhaustion will suck but is doable, especially for the extra tip money they'll all get from being down a person.  If this was the beginning or even the middle of the charter season that would be different - hopefully Captain Sandy would have insisted on bringing back Delaney had it been weeks ago - but at this point, they're all young and healthy and strong and making good money for it - you can all handle one week of hard(er) work. 

• Love 4

I question if Delaney was truly willing to stay on in the Stew capacity with her little jab at only learning laundry and in her parting shot that she did not want to be a Stew ever again and was eliminating that off her resume/cv sheet.  I don't think she had deck skills either as she could not even get the lines thrown properly.  Malia thinking Delaney would not have a problem lugging gear on multiple trips up a mountain is premature.   Having to stop and explain a job to someone while you are running at top speed with various other duties or in the docking of a large vessel is detrimental to the  smooth operation of the charter.

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, mytmo said:

I question if Delaney was truly willing to stay on in the Stew capacity with her little jab at only learning laundry and in her parting shot that she did not want to be a Stew ever again and was eliminating that off her resume/cv sheet.  I don't think she had deck skills either as she could not even get the lines thrown properly.  Malia thinking Delaney would not have a problem lugging gear on multiple trips up a mountain is premature.   Having to stop and explain a job to someone while you are running at top speed with various other duties or in the docking of a large vessel is detrimental to the  smooth operation of the charter.

I will stick with my theory about Delaney, the producers found her on IG, she probably stated she helped on a friends boat once, the producers took that tidbit and looked at her body and thought she would be perfect on the show, fixed up a CV of sorts for her and let her loose on the Lady Michelle.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Earl Is Dead said:

Captain Sandy would have insisted on bringing back Delaney had it been weeks ago

All the times that Sandy stuck her nose in to something to micro manage this should have been one of those times, her worry about the guests not feeling the impact of Katie's decision to do the charter with just her and Courtney was legit, Sandy should have insisted Delaney do laundry and other grunt work freeing up K & C to do guest service. There was plenty of room now that Lexi left the boat so there was no excuse not too have her back on board. 

Nobody has every been pissed the laundry was done.

• Love 8

Some observations:

Just in general – the childish way the crew behaves sometimes mystifies me.  Aren’t they supposed to be older than 2?

So anyway…

Captain Queeg is more unbalanced than ever.  First screaming at Malia about how “I can’t trust you”, then a full pivot to “I trust you 1,000 percent”.  Sheesh.  What’s next – a full investigation into who stole the strawberries?

For a change we have charter guests that aren’t drunken schoolboys/girls.  Moderation?  What a novel thought!  They seemed nice -- Too bad the show had to make fun of them.

Mat’s constant need for praise wears really thin.

Several times we’re told that the crew have been working X and Y hours without a break.  You’d think Captain Queeg would be all over that, what with laws and all.

Queeg complains about “too much dark fish” – really?  Just do your job and entertain the guests, Queeg – they obviously had no complaints.

Because the guests aren’t blackout drunks they were up early, but Queeg is on the warpath because a guest had to ask for a paddle board (which took all of 20 seconds to fulfill). 

Now we’re being set up for some docking cliffhanger which will likely turn out to be a big routine yawn.

• Love 5

Let's do a little math😎

They started with 9 crew that we see - 4 Deckhands, 3 Stews, Chef, and Queeg.

For simplicity say the tip was $18,000 which is $2000 each.

Adding Delaney drops it to $1800 each.

Taking out Lexi and D raises it to $2250 each.

That's a lot of extra work for $250.  I'm not that greedy.

I'm not buying Katie's story.  Everybody lies on their resume (sometimes by omission) to some extent.  Besides it was for a 4th stew position, the lowest one on the boat (that we see).

I hate to agree with Malia, but more hands are useful and that laundry isn't going to do itself.  There were numerous short clips of other crew suddenly in the laundry.

O/T I see Captain Lee is coming back 10/25.  Hooray!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I will stick with my theory about Delaney, the producers found her on IG, she probably stated she helped on a friends boat once, the producers took that tidbit and looked at her body and thought she would be perfect on the show, fixed up a CV of sorts for her and let her loose on the Lady Michelle.

I agree, and no doubt Katie figured it out. I don’t blame her for not wanting to keep her, but I truly suspect it was a producer’s decision to let her go. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

Queeg complains about “too much dark fish” – really?  Just do your job and entertain the guests, Queeg – they obviously had no complaints.

Well so what?  She's eating the food it should be cooked how she likes it.  And she explained on Twitter why the dark fish was a problem 

I never really understood Katie's explanation as to why she didn't keep Delaney.  So what if she lied on her CV, even as a green stew she still proved to be a competent stew and she could do the basics so why not keep her.  I agree with previous posters that the production crew probably let her go just to keep the drama/stress up for the last leg of the charters.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

And she explained on Twitter why the dark fish was a problem 

Do you have a link?

Even Mat said he would be "disappointed" if that showed up on his plate in a restaurant, so why did he put it on one of the guests plates??  He won the reverse Lotto that it ended up being Queeg's plate.

I never cook fish, never order fish, but I've liked it the few times it's been put in front of me.  The dark stuff looks bad, but is there any difference in taste/texture?  Had some awesome sea bass at a higher end Chinese restaurant ages ago when a bunch of us all ordered different stuff and shared.

Or is all this production playing games.  Again😎

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Do you have a link?

Even Mat said he would be "disappointed" if that showed up on his plate in a restaurant, so why did he put it on one of the guests plates??  He won the reverse Lotto that it ended up being Queeg's plate.

I never cook fish, never order fish, but I've liked it the few times it's been put in front of me.  The dark stuff looks bad, but is there any difference in taste/texture?  Had some awesome sea bass at a higher end Chinese restaurant ages ago when a bunch of us all ordered different stuff and shared.

Or is all this production playing games.  Again😎

My guess is production. If you eat chicken you'll get a vein and with beef a big honking vein. I mean you're eating meat so what do you expect? That perfect fillet you get? Meat glue.

• Useful 1

I actually enjoyed this episode.  No drunken crew hookups or arguments were very welcome.  The chef is very needy and reminds me of someone--- I think it's the main guy on the children's movie Despicable Me? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, 4N6MAL said:

Enough with all the “pray for me” from Mat! It’s like he is making fun of the guests and their beliefs!

Yes, I have the feeling Mat is not at all religious so it seems a mockery.

• Love 3