Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Off the Pitch

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I have to say how grateful I am to Apple for the green lighting of seasons 2 and 3 at the same time.  With any trilogy (e.g. Star Wars), you generally give episode/season 1 a satisfactory ending for fans in case you don’t get a renewal.  I can’t imagine how they would have handled /ended season2 if they didn’t have a confirmed season 3.

• Love 4
(edited)

Bringing this over here as it probably doesn't belong in the episode thread, but we don't have a Brett/Roy thread.

14 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

What is Brett Goldstein Live?  Tell all.

14 hours ago, AD55 said:

So, you're just going to toss this off as an aside? I feel like it should have its own thread. 😉

Sorry - didn't mean to be vague about this! So for those who don't stalk Brett's Instagram, last month, he did his first theatre show in Seattle, which sold out in about 10 minutes. Which led him to announce a show in San Francisco at a local 2200-seat theatre for yesterday - which sold out in about 5 minutes. So he added another show today (which sold out quickly) and led him to add ANOTHER show on Thursday (which may still have some tix). In a fit of Fangirl Madness, I bought front row tickets for me and three friends (which ended up being third row tix because they dropped in two rows in the orchestra pit) and we went to the show last night.

There was an opener - Pat something - who was okay, but not really the same vibe as Brett's standup or really the room in general, so it was odd, but quick. Brett had 70 minutes of stand up - some bits he's honed, some he's working on, some he wrote VERY recently. I laughed till I cried for pretty much the whole time and he was delightful. His smile really does light up a fucking room! No photos or videos allowed and the people around us were pretty respectful (because there were at least three security guards in my eyeline since we were so close to the stage. I'm sure folx farther away could sneak pics since they didn't take our phones like I thought they might). After he finished his last bit, he brought a box of questions on stage (which apparently were real - given his response to a couple - but I didn't see the box folx were putting the Qs in when we came in) to answer for another half hour or so. There were a few drunk folx behind us that started screaming "Roy Kent" when he mentioned Ted Lasso, but he jokingly told them to SHADDUP and they did. (I did support them when they asked for proof after a question about how hairy his arse really is - he did not oblige LOL!) Didn’t leave the venue until after 10pm!

Given how quickly the Seattle and SF shows sold out (and the price of the tickets), I would definitely be on the lookout for more gigs around the country as Ted Lasso press wraps up (especially as the writer's strike continues). Much of his material is about the differences between the UK and America (it's much funnier than I'm making it seem - there was a whole bit about what you call it when you touch a dog that still has me in stitches!), so I can definitely see him heading out on a standup tour as the year goes on.

Edited by Girl in a Cardigan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 6

Yeah, he was delightful! I mean, all 2200 of us were primed to find him hilarious (lots of AFC Richmond gear on folx as they walked in), but he really delivered. It definitely felt like a club show, not a theater performance/show which I’ve found rare for comics.

He only interacted with the audience a little (even the Q&A was from a box and not a mic), but it felt authentic. There was even a thing at the end where he was like embarrassed to do his final bit for us, but we screamed and he killed it. 

Photo from Brett’s InstaStory, clearly from question time. 

IMG_7288.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

His podcast Films To Be Buried With is awesome and delightful. I saw he was to be in Seattle and wondered how it all went down. Glad to hear he got the turn out and it was a good show. He started as a stand up, so I expect him to be good, but didn’t quite know what his comedy would be about. Thanks for the report @Girl in a Cardigan

• Like 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to indulge our curiosity. I had read about the Seattle show, and I'm glad Brett scheduled extra gigs, so you were able to attend. What fun! I engage in a fair amount of Brett stalking myself, and I really enjoy his podcast. I doubt he'll be heading to my small New England state anytime soon, but a girl can dream.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, AD55 said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to indulge our curiosity. I had read about the Seattle show, and I'm glad Brett scheduled extra gigs, so you were able to attend. What fun! I engage in a fair amount of Brett stalking myself, and I really enjoy his podcast. I doubt he'll be heading to my small New England state anytime soon, but a girl can dream.

Also in a small New England state dreaming of the same thing!

• Love 1

Ted Lasso nerds - I need help.

I'm looking for the exact text of a comment made by Isaac (I think) - it's along the lines of "channeling my righteous anger to better serve my community"

If anyone remembers this, or knows which episode it comes from, please let me know!

4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Ted Lasso nerds - I need help.

I'm looking for the exact text of a comment made by Isaac (I think) - it's along the lines of "channeling my righteous anger to better serve my community"

If anyone remembers this, or knows which episode it comes from, please let me know!

This is said by one of the non-Paul members of the pub trio to Mae after he says he's going to burn the pub to the ground if Richmond actually wins a game. (I don't know which one is Jeremy and which one is Baz, sorry!)

2x06 - The Signal: "I swear, if we actually win this match, I will burn this pub to the ground." (off Mae's look) "I will... knock over a chair." (Mae continues to stare) "I will channel my raging enthusiasm into ways to help my community."

• Like 1
  • LOL 2