Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 9/20/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

25 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I didn't watch the show closely these past two days with Joy absent aside from yesterday's opening segment and today's abortion ban discussion. I simply kept it on in the background. Mostly the show felt hollow and humorless. I'll be in the minority here in saying I don't particularly care for Carly Fiorina. Moreover, I don't think she'd be a good fit for this show for a lot of different reasons, her age for one (what with Joy and Whoopi already being pretty old). But what I most dislike about her so far is that the show clearly catered to her by having Joy off while she tried out to give her an easy go of it. If she can't handle Joy, then she can't be much of a good choice for this show, can she? And during the abortion discussion, the other ladies were clearly not allowed to "go there" and touch a particular story related to the subject that she is known for (one of the only things she is remembered for, imo). After the last co-host, we don't need someone else with a political history--whether it's their own or a relative's--with stipulations on what can be discussed and how the others can respond to them. It's not a fair discussion if one side has their hands tied behind their back. And especially since the discussion of abortion will be a much more regular thing on this show now because of recent events.

Also, something in particular she said rung false to me, when she said the issue of abortion has never been resolved... Hasn't it been resolved for the last sixty years (Roe v. Wade)? Only her party has made it an issue that suddenly needs "resolving" again.

Yes. Also her statement that Dems want abortion for any reason at any point which is a bit disingenuous since the later term abortions tend to be very rare as well as generally because the fetus won’t survive, etc. Its in the details, Carly. 

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Rightside said:

Joy better not be out all week!  I've given them a break these past two days but I'm over her being gone. She makes this show.

Yay for you for getting to go to the show. Please report back all the details!

Thanks. I will. I’ve been one time before about 3-4 years ago, the first was that child from Cuba, Elian, via Skype. It was a “very special view” no music. no jokes. Which is all fine, but now Thursday I have some kid book author. I won’t be taking the free book give away either, I’m not about to carry it around all afternoon. Lol I have late lunch reservations at the Boathouse after the show. Lol

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

Yes. Also her statement that Dems want abortion for any reason at any point which is a bit disingenuous since the later term abortions tend to be very rare as well as generally because the fetus won’t survive, etc. Its in the details, Carly. 

Yeah this bothered me.   And I only partly agree with her that politicians don't want the abortion issue to be settled.  It's only one particular party that uses it as red meat for their base. 

• Love 15

Awwwwwwww, Carly. We see you. We see you crying both sides. We see you claiming to be the "only pro-life person at the table." Kudos for pushing back back on that,  Sunny and Whoopi. And everyone stayed pretty civil. 

I'm appreciating the mature conversations the ladies are able to have now.

• Love 9

What’s up with Sara and the hair extensions and too much makeup?  Is she picking up the slack now that SWSNBN is gone?

Did they really need 2 segments about Monica Lewinsky?  And since when is Joy her cheerleader?  For decades Monica was the butt of Joy’s jokes. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

Ugh Sara shut up!  Monica is JUST as culpable as Bill.  She was in between his legs while his wife (that she knew he had) was down the hall.   She loves to play the victim but she hasn't shut up about it since it happened.  Enough already! 

• Love 14
19 hours ago, Rightside said:

I know Sunny has a lovefest with Kamala but I believe she is going to be insufferable on Friday.

Given how upset she is about Haitians at the Texas border, I feel she’s going to be more of a muted attack mode. 

• Love 5

Yay, Joy is back, and with Ana!

Whenever there is adultery, both participants are wrong, but, I always feel that there is more onus on the person who made a vow to be faithful. 

Bill knew his wife was down the hall. Bill has a record of this sort of thing.

Monica should not have had sex with that married man...but that married man who was also President of the United States ought not have allowed any of that to take place. 

• Love 17
30 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

Whenever there is adultery, both participants are wrong, but, I always feel that there is more onus on the person who made a vow to be faithful. 

And on the one who happens to be the boss.

8 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I’m thinking that Ana is gradually becoming more conservative now that Megaphone is gone.

Or at least more comfortable expressing her views without the risk of allying herself with someone who shall not be named.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, JayD83 said:

Ugh Sara shut up!  Monica is JUST as culpable as Bill.  She was in between his legs while his wife (that she knew he had) was down the hall.   She loves to play the victim but she hasn't shut up about it since it happened.  Enough already! 

Yeah, and comparing Monica doing talks around the country to Bill Clinton lecturing...  I'm pretty sure for Clinton Monica isn't his topic or mentioned in his talks and it seems she's built a life on her fling with him.  Just shut up already and fade away. 

Otherwise, another good show and happy feelings among the women. Such a relief.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

What’s up with Sara and the hair extensions and too much makeup?  Is she picking up the slack now that SWSNBN is gone?

Sara has gotten ridiculous with the fake hair.  Ialways had a hard time taking her serioulsy on complex topics but that fake hair isn't helping with anything she says.

I kept looking at it to see if it was a wig.

• Love 1

I don't need to hear from Monica Lewinsky AGAIN. Yes, President Clinton was wrong ,yes he abused his power. Monica was not an innocent, she was not a child. Yes, we all make mistakes as young people and we have to learn from them. Monica can keep writing books and movies and give interviews  about this mistake if she chooses,  that dosen't mean I suddenly see her differently.  We have all heard her side. We understand how horrible the media was towards her. I always felt BC was more wrong because he was married. I'm just so over Monica emerging every couple years to remind us she slept withe President...we got it. I agreed with Sunny, ML has definitely made a lot of money on this.  

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 19

WoW!   Sunny is vindictive--even angry and cruel discussing the topic. She can't give Monica Lewinsky an inch--much less an honest income.  If Sunny is as Catholic as she claims to be, she should "examine her conscience," and consider how cruel her comments are about a human being's mistakes at the age of 22.  

I'm NOT a Lewinsky fan ... and I'm surprised Sunny didn't bring up the previous married man (her professor) that Monica pursued before Clinton and whose marriage she damaged.  The things I've read about the Lewinsky-Clinton encounters report that SHE was the aggressor...the initial flirt.  He stupidly "took advantage" of the offers.  Yes, he was the adult.  He was the person in power.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, rollacoaster said:

It's actually the definition of the word.  One can commit "the sin" of adultery only if married.  My best friend, very Catholic--divorced, apparently "wept" to her Catholic MARRIED* lover about sinning--while sinning. He assured her that SHE was not sinning--she was not married.  He convinced her HE was the sinner.  She was relieved (and stupid).  Humiliating!!!  *He had five children.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, nokat said:

Sunny was annoying about Haitians

Sunny must be having problems at home or in one of her many endeavors.  She's become annoying and seems angry about something.  Always. And she needs a new hair and makeup person/team/advisor.  

• Love 8

Sunny about wearing her hair natural. I did not actually get told to not go curly, but I got so many comments on how I looked great if I blew it out and used hot rollers to go straight. It is always there if not blatant.

• Useful 1
24 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

WoW!   Sunny is vindictive--even angry and cruel discussing the topic. She can't give Monica Lewinsky an inch--much less an honest income.  If Sunny is as Catholic as she claims to be, she should "examine her conscience," and consider how cruel her comments are about a human being's mistakes at the age of 22.  

I'm NOT a Lewinsky fan ... and I'm surprised Sunny didn't bring up the previous married man (her professor) that Monica pursued before Clinton and whose marriage she damaged.  The things I've read about the Lewinsky-Clinton encounters report that SHE was the aggressor...the initial flirt.  He stupidly "took advantage" of the offers.  Yes, he was the adult.  He was the person in power.

If Sunny was being cruel,  she would have mentioned all those things you mentioned.  They are well known and I'm sure Sunny has heard them.  Yes Monica was only 22 but that is an adult. It is always interesting to me how some young people are always seen as children and others are seen as adults when they are technically still children. 

• Love 13
24 minutes ago, nokat said:

Ana is the conservative I will listen to.  I actually wish she would run for office. Sunny was annoying about Haitians. Those of us who payed attention know about the history.

She may be annoying but she is stating facts though.  The US has had a hand in the political turmoil in Haiti and it began with the invasion of 1915.  The country has not been the same ever since...

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
18 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Sunny must be having problems at home or in one of her many endeavors.  She's become annoying and seems angry about something.  Always. And she needs a new hair and makeup person/team/advisor.  

I agree. I’ve always been a Sunny fan but lately she’s been really annoying. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Cozytea said:

If Sunny was being cruel,  she would have mentioned all those things you mentioned.  They are well known and I'm sure Sunny has heard them. 

I think she was so ticked off--and had some interruptions--she lost her train of thought a couple of times.

14 minutes ago, Cozytea said:

Yes Monica was only 22 but that is an adult. It is always interesting to me how some young people are always seen as children and others are seen as adults when they are technically still children. 

Of course 22 is an adult--legally.  Twenty-two-year olds come in all sorts of maturities, regardless of social/wealth status. Monica was 22 with some major of issues (needy, body image, daddy issues--divorce).  President Clinton...what a mentor! 

And what mature 22-year-old would cling to a woman like Linda Tripp?  Monica has MORE than paid her dues.  

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Sunny must be having problems at home or in one of her many endeavors.  She's become annoying and seems angry about something. 

17 minutes ago, Axie said:

I agree. I’ve always been a Sunny fan but lately she’s been really annoying. 

I've noticed it too.  Something is going on with her.

1 hour ago, Cozytea said:

I'm just so over Monica emerging every couple years to remind us she slept withe President...we got it. I agreed with Sunny, ML has definitely made a lot of money on this.  

The scandal happened  25 years ago. I doubt most people even think about it till someone brings it up.  I understand that Monica had her life upended but she did go to the London School of Economics and earned a degree. She doesn't have to continue to let it define her life.  

• Love 7
Just now, JayD83 said:

Exactly.  Black people are seen as adults as soon as they hit puberty in the eyes of the media, yet I remember during "Lochte-gate" the media kept referring to this 30+ year old man as some dumb kid that made a mistake.

The double standards are glaring. 

Thank you. This is exactly what I was thinking. 

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I've noticed it too.  Something is going on with her.

The scandal happened  25 years ago. I doubt most people even think about it till someone brings it up.  I understand that Monica had her life upended but she did go to the London School of Economics and earned a degree. She doesn't have to continue to let it define her life.  

Yes, I think this is my point. She could have moved on years ago. She's had opportunities that she could have grown from . But wanting to live in that mistake over and over is puzzling to me.

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Did they really need 2 segments about Monica Lewinsky?  And since when is Joy her cheerleader?  For decades Monica was the butt of Joy’s jokes. 

I don’t think Sara looks that great with the longer hair.  And Sunnys anger during over the Monica discussion seemed almost personal..as if she’d had personal experience.  She was angry all day today.  I’d also like more info on why Sunny thinks this is just Haitians…and not all POC. What makes Haitians different…it would help me understand better.  And Ana raised a good question, one o had too, as to how did they even get to Mexico from haiti?  I assume there were boats at some point? 

Edited by Rainyhawk
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, JayD83 said:

Exactly.  Black people are seen as adults as soon as they hit puberty in the eyes of the media. Yet, I remember during "Lochte-gate" the media kept referring to this 30+ year old man as some dumb kid that made a mistake.

The double standards are glaring. 

I don't remember the details but there was a lawyer, might have been a district attorney or something like that and he was accused of doing something to women on the subway and he was referred to as a kid and he was in his 40s.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

She may be annoying but she is stating facts though.  The US has had a hand in the political turmoil in Haiti and it began with the invasion of 1915.  The country has not been the same ever since...

I wish we could get more into stuff like this now that Meghan Miss America is always the hero is gone. 

The footage of how Haitians are being treated at the border broke my heart. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

but she does

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I wish we could get more into stuff like this now that Meghan Miss America is always the hero is gone. 

The footage of how Haitians are being treated at the border broke my heart. 

Yes to this ^^^. We are interested in more than celebrity gossip.

• Love 2

Only have time to say this, as I'm in the middle of work...

But Monica told Barbara, when Bawa interviewed her, that Clinton was her "sexual soulmate". 🤢So she can miss me with the internet nonsense. She went blabbing to Tripp about having had sex with the president. 

I was raised strictly and was over protected, but I still wasn't considered a "child" at 22. So please, Sara. Shut up.

• Love 7

Sunny has clearly stated that she has family members who are Haitian, not least her husband.  Of course she’s upset about what’s happening at the border. She’s allowed to be angry.

The US government has always had a double standard when dealing with Haitians - they have never been welcomed.  The images over the last few days have illustrated that history clearly in a most brutal fashion.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, nokat said:

Sunny was annoying about Haitians.

Annoying?  It’s personal for her. Manny’s family is from Haiti. 

5 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

If I may speak for Sunny, she doesn’t see Monica as someone who regrets her mistakes. Monica has made a career out of playing the victim without admitting her own culpability. It’s not up to Sunny to forgive. Personally I don’t care about what either of them did. It was between Bill and Hillary and was a poor reason to impeach. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 12

Loved today’s show. Great to have Ana there and Whoopi off. Ever since we left last season's toxicity behind, we've been getting to see the divisions between the individual panelists more often, there's more room for nuance. I knew that would be the case.

I would’ve enjoyed the chemistry no matter what the topics were, but the cherry on top was how refreshing it was to hear Monica Lewinsky talked about honestly. I agreed with Joy that Hillary was the only real victim in that situation. Bill Clinton chose to cheat on his wife (and on the job), Lewinsky chose to pursue a married man who was her boss—Hillary didn’t get a choice. Obviously, Lewinsky didn’t owe anything to Hillary Clinton or the American people (she wasn't married to the former or elected by the latter), but everyone knows that messing with a married man rarely ends happily no matter what their career is. I'm not judging, I don't even dislike her, it's more an annoyance with the way people outside the situation try to characterize it than with anything to do with her herself. I see her situation as a case of a self-inflicted wound, not one of being victimized. *shrug*

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

One can commit "the sin" of adultery only if married.

I've always thought adultery refers to any sexual encounter outside of those between two people who are married to one another. As in, two unmarried people would also be committing a form of adultery, or even someone thinking sexual thoughts about another person they aren't married to (whether the person they're thinking about is married themselves or not) would be adultery. That's always been my understanding anyway. *shrug*

As for Sunny, I think she has always identified a great deal with Hillary Clinton from things she's said on the show, because she was a fellow lawyer. Add to that the fact that infidelity is a subject that Sunny is passionate about, too. The reason that scandal fires people up even after all this time is because people often see themselves vicariously through the lens of it, either as The Wife, The Husband, or The Other Woman. It's a tale as old as time.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Loved today’s show. Great to have Ana there and Whoopi off. Ever since we left last season's toxicity behind, we've been getting to see the divisions between the individual panelists more often, there's more room for nuance. I knew that would be the case.

I would’ve enjoyed the chemistry no matter what the topics were, but the cherry on top was how refreshing it was to hear Monica Lewinsky talked about honestly. I agreed with Joy that Hillary was the only real victim in that situation. Bill Clinton chose to cheat on his wife (and on the job), Lewinsky chose to pursue a married man who was her boss—Hillary didn’t get a choice. Obviously, Lewinsky didn’t owe anything to Hillary Clinton or the American people (she wasn't married to the former or elected by the latter), but everyone knows that messing with a married man rarely ends happily no matter what their career is. I'm not judging, I don't even dislike her, it's more an annoyance with the way people outside the situation try to characterize it than with anything to do with her herself. I see her situation as a case of a self-inflicted wound, not one of being victimized. *shrug*

I see both sides regarding Monica. I was a kid during the scandal, so as far as I was concerned at the time, she might as well have been 40. Looking back now being a lot older than she was as an intern, I think damn, she was YOUNG. I don't think of 22 as a kid, but it is barely more than a kid. Most 22-year-olds would know better, but I do think many would be in over their head dealing with someone old enough to be their father who happens to be the most powerful man in the world. 

Sunny had a lot of good points as far as her not being canceled though and all the money she's made. That said, I do remember the circus. If a "regular" woman in her early 20s has a mess-up like that, she deals with the people in her life hearing about it. There's a chance she might be blasted on social media, which is nightmarish enough. There's something about the entire world talking about you and laughing at you for so many years that is very off-putting to me. However, I do think some people take the victimhood too far. I wouldn't group what Monica went through in the same category as man messing with a minor or some of the other BC scandals. 

What I found refreshing today is while there was disagreement, everyone remained civil. 

Regarding Haiti though, I'm angry myself about the situation. I can't imagine the pain when it is personal. I do also think Sunny is someone who's very passionate when she sees serious injustice and cruelty but doesn't label everything as victimhood. I'm kind of the same. There are times I wish people would shut up about what I consider to be problems of immense privilege or self-inflected wounds, but when innocent people who are just trying to live and feed their families are threatened with horse reins as whips, I want to cry and scream.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 5

There is a lot of research out there about when the human brain fully develops. The earliest is around age 25 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3621648/#__sec19title

of course both of them should have known better. Him especially. But although she looked fully grown and mature on the outside maybe she didn’t have all that she needed brain wise to make a better decision.  It’s easy enough to say “well she knew what she was doing and the consequences”. Adolescents don’t always go that far in their thinking. She did grow up enough not to repeat that behavior as far as we know.  Fading away is fine if she changed her looks and name. Someone will always know who she is. Or was. I don’t care if she cashes in on her notoriety. None of us are required to participate. 

enjoyjng the show so much more lately. 

• Love 6

I have long suspected that Sunny gets passionate about some issues because the subject hits close to home.  She was really bent out of shape over Monica Lewinsky.  I’m sure Manny is a wonderful man but I’m doubting he’s the saint she portrays him to be.  Something seems to be going on with her.  Last week we were discussing how she has not looked particularly well.  It could be exhaustion, menopause, Gabe moving to Harvard, her in-laws dying, and, on and on.  Or, maybe she’s fine and I have too much time on my hands.  But, I’m guessing something’s up.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

I don’t think Sara looks that great with the longer hair.  And Sunnys anger during over the Monica discussion seemed almost personal..as if she’d had personal experience.  She was angry all day today.  I’d also like more info on why Sunny thinks this is just Haitians…and not all POC. What makes Haitians different…it would help me understand better.  And Ana raised a good question, one o had too, as to how did they even get to Mexico from haiti?  I assume there were boats at some point? 

Historically Haitians have been treated differently than other immigrants in the Caribbean.   Specifically, Cubans.   For example if the Coast Guard finds Cubans in a raft trying to escape to the US, they bring them to the US and they are given asylum automatically.   If a a Haitian is in that same raft, the Haitian is returned to directly to Haiti.   Even though both are trying to escape similar circumstances.  

Many of the Haitians at the border, came from South and Central America.   They fled there after the previous earthquake.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

What I found refreshing today is while there was disagreement, everyone remained civil. 

That's THE BEST about having their little princess "decide" to leave--AND being in the studio together.  I love the give and take--and don't even mind all the crosstalk that seemed to be so annoying in years past.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 11
11 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Everytime I hear the new theme music, I keep waiting for back up dancers to come out. 

It's true. It sounds like a song Beyonce would sing.

11 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I have long suspected that Sunny gets passionate about some issues because the subject hits close to home.  She was really bent out of shape over Monica Lewinsky.

She has told us herself how  jealous she gets. Throwing away a birthday cake a female coworker gave Manny.  But if I am not mistaken she has also said she wouldn't divorce Manny if he cheated.  I think she identifies with Hillary. And speaking of Hillary Joy is right Bill Clinton cheating and getting caught so publicly had far reaching consequences for Hillary. Some people vilified her for staying. Which I thought was wrong. It was  her marriage and  her choice to stay.

12 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

of course both of them should have known better. Him especially. But although she looked fully grown and mature on the outside maybe she didn’t have all that she needed brain wise to make a better decision.

As other posters have mentioned Bill Clinton was not the first older married man Monica became involved with.  When I was 22 I was but one year away from becoming a single mother.   How many 22 year olds have died in our many wars? How many 22 year olds are tried for crimes?   Monica was an adult.   Yes she made a mistake. Well two actually. One for getting sexually involved with Clinton and two for telling all to Linda Tripp.   But this was not some naive girl who fell off the turnip truck.

12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Sunny had a lot of good points as far as her not being canceled though and all the money she's made.

First of all Monica was not cancelled. Nobody knew who she was before this.  How can you be cancelled if you never were? Were there opportunities taken away from her after this? Maybe.  She was an intern. Who knows where she would have ended up if this had never happened.  It could be argued she made lemonade out of lemons.  As Sunny mentioned she had a handbag line which never would have happened if she didn't have name recognition.   She never would have hosted a reality show.  And she wouldn't now be producing shows about what happened.   If you ask Monica I bet she would say the aftermath was worse than being used by a married man.   If you ask Hillary I bet she would say finding out your husband cheated would be the worse thing.   Honestly I don't care what Bill Clinton would say.

13 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I've always thought adultery refers to any sexual encounter outside of those between two people who are married to one another.

Fornication is sex between people not married to each other.  Adultery is when a married person has sex with someone not their spouse.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12