Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Día de los Vivos

• Start Topic

I liked this episode. Liked Mel and Ruby getting to say goodbye at the end of Mels’ life and him telling  Ruby she is  free to have a new relationship. Loved the Javiar and Dani part.   Loved  the reference to Mr Roark and Tattoo… except for ‘ the plane, the plane’.  Anyone but Tattoo saying it doesn’t sound right and I think it was a little exploitive on the original show too.

I don’t like the actor that played Jasper and that ruined that one for me.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Trini said:

Well, I figured they would have to address Mel/Ruby's family at some point. But this was another episode I wasn't really feelin'. So the island can grant wishes for DEAD people??

No.  The Day of the Dead  is a tradition in several countries.  I don’t know all the details ….Traditional lore is that spirits can be contacted  on that day.  Or they can contact you too.  The island just goes a step farther and gives them a form to be in for the day. 

You know many of us will look at butterflies or pennys etc and say these are signs that so and so is looking out for us from beyond the grave. 

Jasper’s story didn’t fit exactly because he didn’t know why he was  there and Ramon wasn’t even on the island yet.  I guess the island knew he was coming and decided that everyone got a loved one to see? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1

I'm starting to wonder if this was the island everybody was Lost on a few years back....  😆🤣

I really liked the whole spin and twist on the "Day of the Dead."  I hope they make it a regular seasonal episode plot if this show gets picked up for a few more seasons.  There's a lot of potential there.

The Dani and Javier side story was nice.  The Jasper and Ramon story was interesting, but a little cliche.  Mel and Ruby was both sad and uplifting.  I did like that this has now had a couple of times where the A-plot and B-plot fantasies crossed over a bit, with Mel and Jasper talking stuff over. 

But what I really was intrigued and confused by was the whole Elena and Fernando and island anger thing.  Elena does seem to travel around with other people's fantasies, but is she trapped on the island for herself?  She did have that little excursion, but I think that was concurrent in the same time and universe as the Cuba episode.  The island certainly didn't want Fernando coming back for the Day of the Dead, and Elena did say something to Ruby about the island not liking her cousin, whom she cajoled into being the...what...caretaker?  shaman?  el jefe? of the island. 

Sigh.  I was hoping to get a CGI version of Ricardo Montalban as Mr. Roarke there at the end, at least a smile and a wink as he turned away after setting the letter down on the altar at 11:59:59.  But alas....perhaps the budget will be higher next year. 

• Love 2

I actually really enjoyed this episode. I loved the premise and the nods to the original show. I'm glad we got Ruby/Mel closure and thought they both did a good job. Leslie Jordan is always fun to me and Ramon was quite attractive, so I enjoyed that story.

I think this show is not doing well in the ratings so I don't expect it back, but if it does, I am very interested in Elena's back story with her cousin. 

The one thing I don't care about is the Elena/Javier thing. I think I prefer Roarke being a bit more mysterious and less "human" if that makes any sense. I don't mind her having friendships and a past, but I feel the island would not appreciate romance as it may get in the way of the island's goals.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, xander874 said:

The one thing I don't care about is the Elena/Javier thing. I think I prefer Roarke being a bit more mysterious and less "human" if that makes any sense. I don't mind her having friendships and a past, but I feel the island would not appreciate romance as it may get in the way of the island's goals.

I agree - I could do less with the Elena/Javier budding romance.  If you look at the island as it's own character, it seems to be putting them together.  The mud pit that Elena's car got stuck in, Javier's car also getting stuck, etc.  I think it would be more interesting (and funny) if the island put up obstacles instead. 

I do hope this gets renewed for a second season.  I enjoyed it.  It was fluff, but well done fluff.  All the leads are young and hot, but I think they did a great job of bringing in a wide cross section of actors for the guest roles.  This really was a multi-everything cast.  And the scenery is beautiful, too!  Puerto Rico is getting some great advertising out of this show! 

• Love 3

Guess I'm alone, but I'd like to find out more about Elena & Javier's relationship. With all the "fantasies" going on around the island, it's nice to have some type of "reality" or humanizing to look forward to.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, MsTree said:

Guess I'm alone, but I'd like to find out more about Elena & Javier's relationship. With all the "fantasies" going on around the island, it's nice to have some type of "reality" or humanizing to look forward to.

I’m fine with their romance.  I’m still trying to figure out how it is that Mr Roark was not human and Elena is.  If I remember correctly, Mr Roark faced off against a demon or devil character more than once.  Also he appeared to have the powers while now the powers reside with the island itself 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
On 9/20/2021 at 10:29 AM, HurricaneVal said:

Sigh.  I was hoping to get a CGI version of Ricardo Montalban as Mr. Roarke there at the end, at least a smile and a wink as he turned away after setting the letter down on the altar at 11:59:59.  But alas....perhaps the budget will be higher next year. 

I was hoping for that too!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I’m fine with their romance.  I’m still trying to figure out how it is that Mr Roark was not human and Elena is.  If I remember correctly, Mr Roark faced off against a demon or devil character more than once.  Also he appeared to have the powers while now the powers reside with the island itself 

She hasn't ascended, yet.  

Or something like that.  

The island must have really fucked up Fernando.  He is pissed! 

And, Don't piss off the island!

I liked the Javier and Dani storyline best.  Actually didn't mind Ruby this week, but the artist storyline was meh.

Edited by Johann
  • Love 1
On 9/20/2021 at 1:29 PM, HurricaneVal said:

I'm starting to wonder if this was the island everybody was Lost on a few years back....  😆🤣

I really liked the whole spin and twist on the "Day of the Dead."  I hope they make it a regular seasonal episode plot if this show gets picked up for a few more seasons.  There's a lot of potential there.

The Dani and Javier side story was nice.  The Jasper and Ramon story was interesting, but a little cliche.  Mel and Ruby was both sad and uplifting.  I did like that this has now had a couple of times where the A-plot and B-plot fantasies crossed over a bit, with Mel and Jasper talking stuff over. 

But what I really was intrigued and confused by was the whole Elena and Fernando and island anger thing.  Elena does seem to travel around with other people's fantasies, but is she trapped on the island for herself?  She did have that little excursion, but I think that was concurrent in the same time and universe as the Cuba episode.  The island certainly didn't want Fernando coming back for the Day of the Dead, and Elena did say something to Ruby about the island not liking her cousin, whom she cajoled into being the...what...caretaker?  shaman?  el jefe? of the island. 

Legally, Roarke is the Chief Magistrate of the Island, at least in the original. I'm not big on a CGI Ricardo Montalban given what that was like in Spy Kids.

4 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Other people from certain families on the island also had powers. I assume nuclear testing was done nearby.

• LOL 2
On 9/20/2021 at 7:44 PM, AnimeMania said:

Get that man a bungalow, I can imagine how well things would go with Javier inviting Elena back to his recreational vehicle. Does he even have running water, electricity, plumbing? Dude needs a raise!

Of course he does. The full hookups would have come before the deck. Millions of people spend their summers in just such set-ups. I took it as a sign that he’s more comfortable outdoors than in. If it makes you feel any better, the shape and color was trying to give the impression of a top of the line (albeit “vintage”) travel trailer. 

3 minutes ago, Daff said:
On 9/20/2021 at 7:44 PM, AnimeMania said:

Get that man a bungalow, I can imagine how well things would go with Javier inviting Elena back to his recreational vehicle. Does he even have running water, electricity, plumbing? Dude needs a raise!

Of course he does. The full hookups would have come before the deck. Millions of people spend their summers in just such set-ups. I took it as a sign that he’s more comfortable outdoors than in. If it makes you feel any better, the shape and color was trying to give the impression of a top of the line (albeit “vintage”) travel trailer. 

I still don't think that Elena is going to be happy having dinner and a movie at his place.

• LOL 1

I do find it interesting that Elena doesn't quite have it all together like Mr. Rourke did. She found it difficult to say yes to the role and it's clear she's still finding her way, at least on an emotional level. It makes for an interesting update instead of rehashing Mr. Rourke as a powerful magic figure

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/3/2021 at 3:56 PM, DanaK said:

I do find it interesting that Elena doesn't quite have it all together like Mr. Rourke did. She found it difficult to say yes to the role and it's clear she's still finding her way, at least on an emotional level. It makes for an interesting update instead of rehashing Mr. Rourke as a powerful magic figure

I loved this episode Mel and Ruby made me cry. I think Mr. Roarke tried to teach people lessons but Elena helps people figure things out for themselves. I think Elena and Ruby have an equal relationship I thought Mr. Roarke treated Tattoo like a child/

• Love 1