Type keyword(s) to search

M&M's ... Plain or Peanut?

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

POLL OPEN

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I bought a pack of the crispy ones about 2 weeks ago, but have not opened them yet. I couldn't remember if I had them before.

I've definitely had them before. They were out, in the blue bag that Pretzel now uses, a few years ago. Then they got discontinued, for whatever reason. Which really cheesed me off, 'cause they were 1 of my (at the time) 2 favorite types. And the Pretzel type took what used to be their bag--the blue 1. Luckily, I ended up liking the pretzels too. Then, in the last few weeks or so, they announced Crispy was coming back. And now it is, only in a green bag. OK, they're just M&Ms with a bigger Rice Krispie under the chocolate & the colored shell, but they're still pretty yummy in my opinion.

Plain here.

I live in NYC and it pisses me off when the guys cone thru the train selling candy for their "basketball team" and they don't have plain M&Ms. They never have plain. Jerks.

Very strange they don't have plain/milk chocolate.

Various extracurricular clubs, maybe sometimes the foreign language &/or music classes, other classes, &/or the bands, cheerleaders, drill team, athletes, etc., in my high school would sell the boxed M&Ms to students & faculty, periodically during the school year, as fundraisers for extracurricular things for their clubs, classes, music groups &/or athletic groups.

They *always* sold both plain/milk chocolate & peanut when they did. And I pretty much always bought at least 1 box of the plain/milk chocolate during each sale (they could sell 'em during school hours & buyers could eat 'em at school during their lunch period or, you know, take 'em home to eat).

Very strange they don't have plain/milk chocolate.

Various extracurricular clubs, maybe sometimes the foreign language &/or music classes, other classes, &/or the bands, cheerleaders, drill team, athletes, etc., in my high school would sell the boxed M&Ms to students & faculty, periodically during the school year, as fundraisers for extracurricular things for their clubs, classes, music groups &/or athletic groups.

They *always* sold both plain/milk chocolate & peanut when they did. And I pretty much always bought at least 1 box of the plain/milk chocolate during each sale (they could sell 'em during school hours & buyers could eat 'em at school during their lunch period or, you know, take 'em home to eat).

Same here. When I was in high school during the dinosaur age (okay, from '86 to '90), same thing. M&Ms were sold by the Booster Club to raise money for school events, and plain and peanut were always sold.

It's truly weird that plain wasn't being sold this time...unless the students ran out?

On an M&M related note, I tend to eat them in pairs (to keep me from eating them too fast) and have decided that any combination is okay except for Blue and Orange. (Islanders colors.)  I told my children this, and they are on board even if they know nothing about hockey.  They now know of the forbidden combination, and depending on the day either play along or when I ask them to give me some of theirs, they intentionally give me one blue and one orange.

It's truly weird that plain wasn't being sold this time...unless the students ran out?

I have to sell Gertrude and Hawk candy bars for the Cub Scouts and we get the 48 bar variety pack. As you might expect, certain varieties sell out much faster than others, and I will end up with a pile of either caramel or peanut butter ones at the end.  Milk Chocolate is usually the first to go, and there isn't really an opportunity to restock.

I'm assuming the M&M variety box works the same way.

Same here. When I was in high school during the dinosaur age (okay, from '86 to '90), same thing. M&Ms were sold by the Booster Club to raise money for school events, and plain and peanut were always sold.

If you were in high school during the "dinosaur era", I have you beat. I was in high school from Fall 1978-Spring 1981. I live in what was then a kinda strange part of Indiana where 9th Grade, which many consider the Freshman year of high school, was then the last year of a 3-year junior high school; technically I only went to high school, that was considered "high school", for 3 school years--10th-12th Grades, & they realigned which grades were in which level of schooling (basically, they just moved what was then the last grade in elementary & junior high so it became the 1st grade in the next level), so we eventually got the "classic" 4-year high schools & junior highs became 3-year "middle schools", after I graduated & moved on to college.

As for the M&Ms, do the fundraisers usually only sell the plain/milk chocolate & peanut (which I assume is 'cause they're the most popular types), or are at least some of the other types available too? Just curious since I'm pretty sure they had 1 or more other types of M&Ms available in stores when we had our high school sales, but we only had a choice of plain/milk chocolate or peanut when our high school sold 'em.

Edited by BW Manilowe

I graduated from high school in 1984 and had sold M&Ms (plain and peanut) for band fundraisers. If my memory and Wikipedia are correct, the only flavors available in the U.S. at that time were those two.

I bought a bag of White Chocolate Carrot Cake ones the other day but haven't opened them yet (saving them for Easter).

The Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%26M%27s#Varieties

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if I've ever looked at that page, or not. As for all the varieties it listed, I'd swear we only end up getting the more "mainstream" ones where I live. I've never heard of a bunch of 'em, or seen some I've heard of in our local stores, but I'd really like to try at least some of 'em (ones I've heard of & ones I haven't).

Are you sure they didn't even have the peanut butter ones (which I remember being the 1st variety out after plain/milk chocolate & peanut) back in the mid-80s? I know I tried 'em--still trying to figure out if I liked 'em, or not--& I know they were at least initially sold in bags that were in similar colors to the Reese's Pieces/Reese's Peanut Butter Cups packaging, but I can't remember when the peanut butter ones were introduced & the Wikipedia page doesn't list the date/year.

From Wikipedia page:

In 1991, Peanut Butter M&M's were released. These candies have peanut butter inside the chocolate center and the same color scheme as the other brands. As of at least 2013, the size of the peanut butter M&M has become slightly smaller.

From Wikipedia page:

In 1991, Peanut Butter M&M's were released. These candies have peanut butter inside the chocolate center and the same color scheme as the other brands. As of at least 2013, the size of the peanut butter M&M has become slightly smaller.

Thank you. I somehow missed that.

And I still could swear the peanut butter ones were released earlier than 1991. My hometown is (or at least was when I was growing up) a big "test market" city for a lot of products. I wonder if we somehow got peanut butter M&Ms earlier than 1991 as a "test market" product?

I've read a few articles that referenced chocolate in general, but cannot recall anything specific to M & Ms (well, there was a NY Times piece about how they gave 20 M & Ms a day to race horses and it resulted in enough caffeine in the urine that would disqualify a horse from racing because of stimulants).

The stuff I've read indicate while there is some caffeine, it is not a significant amount - probably the same amount that you would find in decaf coffee.  This site might be helpful.

I'd probably factor in if the additional sugar or fat is a concern before I worried about the caffeine.

• Love 1

In Sunday's sale paper I saw M & Ms on sale - but carrot cake ones. I find the concept deeply disturbing.

I also find the come hither look on the M & Ms face disturbing.

There oughta be a law against carrot cake M&Ms & any similar flavors. Just say no. I don't eat carrots, except sometimes I'll eat the really, really teeny cubed ones in certain brands of chicken pot pies (but if they have bigger carrot "coins", forget it). And I definitely won't eat carrot cake.

The cherry M&Ms and the Red Velvet ones are/were pretty good, though. Even if I still prefer just the Peanut or Plain. (Although Peanut Butter M&Ms are good, too.)

I'd probably eat the cherry ones, if I found them somewhere, but never the red velvet (another flavor of cake I don't really like). And I did like the mint things that were like M&Ms but sold under a different product name originally (I think the same thing/something similar is now sold as Mint M&Ms).

I'd probably eat the cherry ones, if I found them somewhere, but never the red velvet (another flavor of cake I don't really like). And I did like the mint things that were like M&Ms but sold under a different product name originally (I think the same thing/something similar is now sold as Mint M&Ms).

The mint ones you're thinking of, @BW Manilowe, were sold under the name "Royals" in the 1980s. Instead of an m on the front, they had a picture of a crown and had mint green and brown colors for the shells. Here's a picture.

The mint ones you're thinking of, @BW Manilowe, were sold under the name "Royals" in the 1980s. Instead of an m on the front, they had a picture of a crown and had mint green and brown colors for the shells. Here's a picture.

That was them. The name "Royals" was in my head for them as I typed the previous post, & I thought it was right but I hesitated to use it in case it wasn't. As I remember, Royals were pretty good.

I grew up with Plain, but I fell in love with Peanut because they were available in the vending machines at college between classes, and I tried them and loved them. But now that Crispy M&M's are back? I think those might be my favorite again. 

My favorite Holiday M&M's? The Easter ones. They have the BEST colors. :)

Edited by UYI

Almond are my absolute favorite, especially around Easter when it seems like they're fresher and the almonds are beautifully roasted crunchy goodness.  Dark chocolate would be a close second.

How could I forget the Dark Chocolate M&Ms? LOVE them, but especially with peanuts, but if it's just plain Dark Chocolate M&Ms...not a problem.  :-)

I like them both, but peanut edges out plain slightly for me.

I saw a commercial for the coffee one, I definitely want to give that a try.

Edited by DkNNy79
On May 24, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Snow Apple said:

I just tried the Smores Crispy M&M. It has a strong graham cracker flavor and I can faintly taste the chocolate, but I don't think I can taste the marshmallow.

Seems like sometimes the chocolate gets lost in some of these M variations. The pretzel one comes to mind. And I think the dark choco ones could be more chocolatey.

But, Coffee Nut? I had no idea. Sounds delish. Will look at Target tomorrow.

The three "contest" flavours are only at Duane Reid/Walgreens.   I had been hoarding a bag of coffee nut from my last trip to the US, and finally opened them.   They were pretty good, but not as good as the honey nut. Wish I had brought back more bags of those.  

On 3/9/2015 at 6:46 AM, ikmccall said:

Plain, peanut, almond and dark chocolate. I don't care for the crispy and have never tried the pretzel. 

Pretzel are good, but they're different enough I don't know if they should really be called M&Ms.

34 minutes ago, Quof said:

The three "contest" flavours are only at Duane Reid/Walgreens.   I had been hoarding a bag of coffee nut from my last trip to the US, and finally opened them.   They were pretty good, but not as good as the honey nut. Wish I had brought back more bags of those.  

Will look at Walgreens tomorrow!

thanks.

6 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I really like the new caramel ones. But I think you may only be able to get them at Walmart. Or Walmart & a very few other places.

I've gotten them at Target and also a supermarket near me called Giant. I wonder why you're having trouble finding them. I also like them a lot. 

33 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

I've gotten them at Target and also a supermarket near me called Giant. I wonder why you're having trouble finding them. I also like them a lot. 

My Mom probably just doesn't go to the right places, or they're out when she does, or something. I think some flavors are exclusive to certain store chains though.

22 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

My Mom probably just doesn't go to the right places, or they're out when she does, or something. I think some flavors are exclusive to certain store chains though.

It might also be popular. I went to Target one day and they didn't have it. My friend wanted to go in the following day, and I looked just for the heck of it and that day they had more bags. I'll have to look out for it in other stores just to see who else carries it. 

I can be weird. I gently crack the sugary outside of the peanut M&M so as not to dent the chocolate. Then I roll it around in my mouth until it's all gone and just the peanut is left. Then it's a crunch or two and it's gone. I do this to make everyone of them last a few minutes so I don't eat a hundred in a minute. It's actually hard and an art to getthe crunchy outside off without damaging the chocolate. 

I've tried the almond ones and they were so-so. Stale. Have never seen any of the flavors that y'all have mentioned but saw a few that I'd like to try. I better check what kinds they have on Amazon! Right now I'm eating Ferrero Rocher Chocolates. 

2 hours ago, Quof said:

Jeezuz, Mindthinkr, you do that thing with a cherry stem and your tongue, too, don't you?

Where did that come from? Am I missing something here, and yes I did that cherry stem thing when I was younger but haven't tried to in ages lol. 

31 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Where did that come from? Am I missing something here, and yes I did that cherry stem thing when I was younger but haven't tried to in ages lol. 

I remember the cherry stem from the first Twin Peaks back in the late 1980's.  Audrey was quite talented at it.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Quof said:

I'm picturing you doing some, um, lingual gymnastics with that M & M....

LOL...I didn't realize my comment could be interepted in these ways!! Just a habit to make the candy last longer and make each piece more of an effort. A challenge. Just 3-5 will do at any given time my way. 

• Love 1
On 7/19/2017 at 8:35 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I have now also seen them at CVS and Wegmans. It seems to be in a large variety of stores. Maybe your mom pretended she didn't see them to keep you from buying "junk." ;) 

Definitely with nuts. I just don't like the texture of plain. Plus, I think the one with peanut is healthier. You can never go wrong with foods that came from a plant. LOL

Edited by arielpna
  • Love 3