Type keyword(s) to search

The Big Bake - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/19/2022 at 12:12 AM, Ms Lark said:

I liked the winning pirate ship a lot, but am I the only one disappointed that the angler fish's "bulb" didn't light up?  That's the most distinctive feature of the angler fish!

The cannonballs should have been truffles!!! Guess no time for that, either.

No, you're definitely not the only one.  I expected it to light up!

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I liked the winning pirate ship a lot, but am I the only one disappointed that the angler fish's "bulb" didn't light up? 

My guess is that lighting it up would have involved running a wire/cable to some kind of  light and that would have involved making the stalk thicker to cover it up and would have spoiled the realistic look of the fish.  I'll also guess that Jason thought of it and discarded the idea in favor of overall appearance.  I actually have no idea but that's my thought on it.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, mlp said:

My guess is that lighting it up would have involved running a wire/cable to some kind of  light and that would have involved making the stalk thicker to cover it up and would have spoiled the realistic look of the fish.  I'll also guess that Jason thought of it and discarded the idea in favor of overall appearance.  I actually have no idea but that's my thought on it.

I thought perhaps one of those little blinky light bulbs that I've seen other baketestants use -- one that doesn't require wiring?  But for sure, you're right.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

I was glad the team that won won. Their display didn't make me want cake, it made me crave a good crab boil! Looked so good and pretty real! Dang. 🦀🥔🌽

Yes it did! 

• Like 1

I recognized Holly the minute I saw her.  I've never cared for her but I have to admit her team had the best display.  The British gals did a good job too but not quite as clean.  I liked the Hallo-Queens team but they just didn't measure up.  

I wish Harry would come back.  The new judge has a horrible voice and, with her yelling and posturing, she seems like she belongs on a Guy Fieri show, not this one.  

• Love 3

Loved last night’s episode! Breaking news: RBI was adorable! He always has such fun. I want to be his friend and drink champagne with him. Really, all the entries were cute, especially the penguin tree and the winning Santa on the rooftop. 

• Like 5

I usually have a fairly good idea which team will win after I see the finished displays but not this episode.  The penguins were great but the color of the tree was unappealing and not very festive.  The Santa display was more bare but the Santa himself was good except for a couple cracks and the way they had him balanced was impressive.  The third team wasn't even in the running IMO although the horses were very well done.  I would have been happy with either of the top two winning but for different reasons.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Santa Paws episode: I was hoping for a presentation with either a doggie or kitty theme. I can’t remember who won but they were all ok. As always, the star of the show is when RBI came clomping out as a reindeer and had his hands curled up like hooves! ❤️ He is a million times more charming and entertaining than any of the poseurs on any FN show. And he has stellar baking and decorating skills. If I were a contestant, I’d grab his arm and whisk him away to a wine or martini bar for the afternoon. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Santa Paws episode: I was hoping for a presentation with either a doggie or kitty theme. I can’t remember who won but they were all ok. As always, the star of the show is when RBI came clomping out as a reindeer and had his hands curled up like hooves! ❤️ He is a million times more charming and entertaining than any of the poseurs on any FN show. And he has stellar baking and decorating skills. If I were a contestant, I’d grab his arm and whisk him away to a wine or martini bar for the afternoon. 

He really is a treasure and I would love to see him on more of these shows. 

• Love 2

The nutcracker that won last night was the cleanest, most beautiful display yet.  I was really impressed.  I didn't agree at all with Eddie's comment that the colors didn't speak to holiday.  Nutcrackers go hand in hand with Christmas no matter what color they are.  I collect them and I have a large pink one with glittery trim.  I also have some in baby blue, purple and even brown.  Nutcrackers evoke Christmas.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, mlp said:

The nutcracker that won last night was the cleanest, most beautiful display yet.  I was really impressed.  I didn't agree at all with Eddie's comment that the colors didn't speak to holiday.  Nutcrackers go hand in hand with Christmas no matter what color they are.  I collect them and I have a large pink one with glittery trim.  I also have some in baby blue, purple and even brown.  Nutcrackers evoke Christmas.

I fell asleep. Which team won?

13 hours ago, mlp said:

It was gorgeous and one of the best things I ever saw on this show, but early on, I thought the same with the colors. So I did agree with him. Didn't matter though, it was stunning! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Yay! It’s back.

Great first show. Very sorry to see that Harry Eastwood was not back. I think she is one of my favourite judges.

while I did not agree with the winning cake, all three cakes were amazing.

Where did you see it? I don't see it on FN until tomorrow night after Halloween Baking.

8 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Yay! It makes it so much easier to discuss episodes when we see the same one.
I just love The Big Bake. I like the challenge to make the cakes move

I like this show too. It is really just plain old fun! 

• Like 2

I also love this show but I liked it even better when Harry was a judge.  Last night, I was hoping the giant frog would win.  I'd like to know what tipped the scales toward the winner, also a good display.  Just curious.

On 9/17/2023 at 7:04 PM, Pepper the Cat said:

Yay! It’s back.

Great first show. Very sorry to see that Harry Eastwood was not back. I think she is one of my favourite judges.

while I did not agree with the winning cake, all three cakes were amazing.

That was a good episode. I thought all of the creations were great but I, too, disagreed with the winner. I thought the Tennessee team or the frog team should have won. I was really hoping that Harry would be back. But I do enjoy watching how much fun the judges are having, especially RBI! 

• Like 4
On 9/24/2023 at 7:54 PM, Pepper the Cat said:

Theme : Bugging Out.

I don't remember that one.  Are different episodes shown in Canada and the U.S.?  The one I saw last night was Halloween-themed with returning teams of bakers.

I really miss Harry also.  The new gal is OK.  She seems nice but she's a little much.  Ron Ben-Israel is campy without being so loud.

I'll never understand why so many teams design creations that they can't finish on time.  You'd think they'd practice at home and time themselves.  The competitors on the old FN Challenge always did and, as I recall, were expected to.

Anyway, I love this show.  They keep the goofiness to a minimum and spend most of the time letting us watch how the bakers are creating instead of focusing on the judges.  I am constantly amazed by some of the artistic talent and clever use of baking materials.

• Like 2
On 9/24/2023 at 5:54 PM, Pepper the Cat said:

Theme : Bugging Out.

Still missing Harry.

The Madeline’s all looked so yummy!

Cricket powder!?

loved the Disco Ball!

I also love  having the Host turn on the cakes.

Nope. We got a beauty salon theme with contestants seeking redemption. 

7 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Nope. We got a beauty salon theme with contestants seeking redemption. 

Yes, that's the one I meant.  I associated it with Halloween because of the decorations I guess.

I was astonished when the guys who made the carousel horse didn't win.  As far as I could see, their only flaw was that the one head didn't spin as planned.  I thought the winners' display, while ambitious, was a mess.  The centaurs on the carousel were awful.  I usually understand the judges' decisions but I sure didn't this time.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, mlp said:

I was astonished when the guys who made the carousel horse didn't win.  As far as I could see, their only flaw was that the one head didn't spin as planned.  I thought the winners' display, while ambitious, was a mess.  The centaurs on the carousel were awful.  I usually understand the judges' decisions but I sure didn't this time.

Oh good, it’s not just me.

I thought the winning one was a hot mess too.

• Like 2
On 10/5/2023 at 4:22 AM, Pepper the Cat said:

Oh good, it’s not just me.

I thought the winning one was a hot mess too.

Definitely not sure what happened there.  I also thought the big carousel horse piece was going to win.  They raved over the cake from another group (I already can't remember whose) and they didn't win either.

• Like 2

Ron's jacket was to die for. I really liked the crashed carnival ride. Eddie hugged the cake maker. After hearing the judges' critiques, I knew they weren't winning. The evil clown on the carnival horse looked good on paper. They weren't able to fully realize the idea. The winners did have a lot on their board. I hated the elephant. Maybe the sculpted clown faces won it for them. Those were nicely creepy. And the funnel brains worked the best in their design.

I thought brunch going Tina might take it since the judges didn't like the taste of That Witch's cake. Both were fairly well done but I agree the pop up cat head needed a body. Ron was nice to not mention the lack of promised fog from the cauldron. That team didn't have a good day.

• Like 1
On 10/9/2023 at 8:35 AM, Pepper the Cat said:

Canada: Diabolical Dolls.

3 incredible cakes. Wow. 
Loved the bonus bakes. So fun!

The winning cake was so good!

We got this one last night. Agreed with the winner, but they were all fun. RBI,s evil doll makeup and silly wig cracked me up. 

• Like 2

I wasn't really impressed with any of the creations last night but I did agree with the winner.  

I wish FN would stop making teams pretend they are coming up with their elaborate plans on the spot.  It started way back on Cupcake Wars and it's still ridiculous.  

• Like 3

I don't typically care for what Danni wears but she looked great in that green leather dress. The dolls were all sufficiently creepy. Raggedy Mathilde had terrible looking arms due to that dynamic element. The winner had a huge doll and then several equally creepy smaller dolls. Very well done.

• Like 1

For once, I couldn't guess which daredevil won. There were elements I liked on all of them but none of them were clean. And the dynamic elements were lackluster. I thought the zombies were too small. Crampus was good except for the lower legs but the volcano was a little disappointing.  The mummies were fun but looked unfinished to me and Eddie was right to criticize the rocket.

• Like 2