Type keyword(s) to search

The Big Bake - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought the rocketship display was very good and easily the best of the three.  It was well thought out, clean and attractive.  The bare mountain under the hot rod was a glaring error and the Santa driver was way out of proportion - much too big.  The helicopter was a cute idea but kind of a mess.  

I keep wondering why this show is on so late - 10 PM Central time.  It doesn't matter to me because I'm a night owl and also retired so I don't have to get up early but it would be too late for someone who gets up early for work and not everyone has a DVR.  It's a good family show so I'd think FN would air it much earlier in the evening.

• Love 3

The rocket ship was the cleanest of the three but IMO, it is a cop out to do such a large piece without several enchanting figures. They had a (well-done) window with small Santa looking out and was there just one elf? I really should post when the episode is fresh in my mind! One of them had amazing figures—was that the helicopter piece that looked like it had crashed? I watch so many of these type of shows that I get them twisted sometimes! But I do like this show very much! I, too, wonder why it’s on so late. I do DVR it and watch later, mainly so I can skip the commercials, especially anything with Ree’s face on it. Also, I do like that the surprise twists aren’t ridiculous and the judges almost always get it right.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

The rocket ship was the cleanest of the three but IMO, it is a cop out to do such a large piece without several enchanting figures. They had a (well-done) window with small Santa looking out and was there just one elf? I really should post when the episode is fresh in my mind! One of them had amazing figures—was that the helicopter piece that looked like it had crashed? I watch so many of these type of shows that I get them twisted sometimes! But I do like this show very much! I, too, wonder why it’s on so late. I do DVR it and watch later, mainly so I can skip the commercials, especially anything with Ree’s face on it. Also, I do like that the surprise twists aren’t ridiculous and the judges almost always get it right.

There were several elves roasting marshmallows under the rocket -- I don't remember if it was 4 or 6.  The one with the hot rod only had one elf and it was face down.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Omeletsmom said:

There were several elves roasting marshmallows under the rocket -- I don't remember if it was 4 or 6.  The one with the hot rod only had one elf and it was face down.

That’s right! Thank you!

I was happy for the winners tonight.  Their concept was cute and their execution was great.  They deserved the win.

Wasn't Renee just on the Halloween baking show?  

I was glad the third team didn't win.  I've seen Ray quite a few times on other shows and have always liked him but I can't stand Maeve.  At least she didn't start her usual prattle abut being Irish.  When she was on the holiday baking show, she said she had some rare kidney disease and implied that her days were numbered.  That was years ago and she's still with us.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, mlp said:

I was happy for the winners tonight.  Their concept was cute and their execution was great.  They deserved the win.

Wasn't Renee just on the Halloween baking show?  

I was glad the third team didn't win.  I've seen Ray quite a few times on other shows and have always liked him but I can't stand Maeve.  At least she didn't start her usual prattle abut being Irish.  When she was on the holiday baking show, she said she had some rare kidney disease and implied that her days were numbered.  That was years ago and she's still with us.  

This episode was like Return of the Food Network Baketestants -- Maeve and Ray and Renee.  All three bakes were good, but like the "French Hens" cake we saw previously, the cleanest, best executed cake won.  There's a lesson to be had there 😏

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 5

Eddie didn't get the memo that it was purple night. Loved Ron's jacket. As was said, lots of familiar faces. Everyone had good concepts. Renee's team executed the bonus bake the best. The spa was so well done. Knew they would win.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I enjoyed the winter in the woodlands theme and all those adorable creatures! I thought the creatures in the spa would win. But I’m not mad that the urban creatures won. A great episode all around. 

I think that one won because the judges raved over the bakes.  The work was definitely not up to the caliber of the spa cake.

• Love 2

I thought the right display won.  The spa cake's "mountain" didn't look neat to me.  

This has become one of my favorite shows.  I like the host and all of the judges.  No sob stories.  No annoying twist either.  They do have the bonus bake but it's obvious that they know it's coming and have prepared for it.  I even like the way the producers add silly effects to some of the graphics.  The judges put in very brief appearances then go away and let the teams work and let us watch what they're doing.  My only criticism is that the judges tend to be OTT with their praise during the judging.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Emkat said:

I absolutely hate whatever filter or lens they are using to film this. 

What do you mean?  I don't tend to notice things like that so I haven't been aware of anything unusual.

I was really sorry that the one team didn't win because they didn't present an actual cake.  They should have known better.  Their fantasy creature was spectacular but I can't argue with the decision.

I don't know who the female judge was.  She was fine but I missed Harry whom I really like.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, mlp said:

What do you mean?  I don't tend to notice things like that so I haven't been aware of anything unusual.

I was really sorry that the one team didn't win because they didn't present an actual cake.  They should have known better.  Their fantasy creature was spectacular but I can't argue with the decision.

I don't know who the female judge was.  She was fine but I missed Harry whom I really like.

Yes, it was too bad the harpy disqualified itself.  Wings like that rarely work properly or fall apart, and their piece was flawless.  But once the judges were oohing and aahing over the baking in the Quetzelcoatl cake, I knew the harpy was done for.

I don't know when this was filmed, but I wonder if Harry couldn't get out of the UK and into Canada due to COVID restrictions?  

• Love 2

I don't care about the bakes anymore. I want to see a dance off between Eddie and Ron! They are both so sexy in their own way. The bakes this spring have not been impressive. Carnival was pretty bad but the one team had me at "That'll do, pig, that'll do." 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I don't care about the bakes anymore. I want to see a dance off between Eddie and Ron! They are both so sexy in their own way. The bakes this spring have not been impressive. Carnival was pretty bad but the one team had me at "That'll do, pig, that'll do." 

I loved when Ron got frosting on his nose. So cute! But yeah, not impressed with the bakes so far. 

• Love 2

Last night’s Treehouse of Treats was the best episode of the season so far. I loved all three creations. RBI was so adorable when he playfully wanted to confirm that no hummingbirds were harmed in making the hummingbird cake. Oh Ron, I could hug the crap out of you! And we got some Eddie dancing. Shake it, you gorgeous man! Ahem, back to the teams. Beatrix on the winning team has been on the gingerbread showdown and she also does well in the real-life Gingerbread Championship held at the OMNI in Asheville NC each year. I agree with Eddie that her tree’s leaves were a bit too tropical but I knew she’d win. One team had the cute bunnies with pinwheels and it was darling. The team whose element didn’t work had a few rough looking animals but the rope bridge and tree trunk looked amazing. This episode redeemed the season.

• Love 4

I really like this show even when the cakes aren't spectacular.  I love all the judges and there's no nastiness and very little interference of the work.  We get to watch what the bakers are doing.  I like the host too although it seems very odd that he never introduces himself.  Someone upthread told me he's an ex Canadian football player but I can't remember his name.  I even get a kick out of the little, um - don't know what to call them - the bits where a decoration winks or chirps or something.

I sort of figured Beatrix would win as soon as I saw her.  She was a lot more personable than she was on the gingerbread show and she's definitely good at what she does.

• Love 3

Topsy-turvy tea party: steampunk was the right winner I guess—at least design-wise. None of the actual slices of cake looked that great. Steampunk cake did look gummy. I like lemon paired with any berry. Can’t remember who did this, but I might be the only person that hates chocolate paired with mint. A small scoop of ice cream is ok or one thin mint, but cake with candied mint or mint buttercream? Yuck! Loved that one team’s flower patterned aprons. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Topsy-turvy tea party: steampunk was the right winner I guess

I agree.  There were some negatives but, overall, they did the best job.  I don't know how they missed that pipe but their color palette was very nice and the details looked clean and neat.  

I knew the one team wouldn't win when the guy didn't roll out a big enough piece of red fondant and just patched it instead of making another piece.  It looked awful.

I'll never understand why teams plan giant cakes they can't finish in the given time frame.  The same thing happened every week on Cake Wars.  I suppose some of that frantic activity is programmed "suspense" but I don't think all of it is.

In any event, I love this show.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Can’t remember who did this, but I might be the only person that hates chocolate paired with mint. 

You're in good company.  Apparently Eddie Jackson doesn't like it either.

(edited)

What the heck? How did bunnies in Italy beat out bunnies in Europe?  I liked the Italy concept but the bunnies were unfinished and the pigeon was horrible. First time I knew all 3 team members. The Europe display was composed, finished, and really cute. Jen's flowers were gorgeous! I find it hard to believe they lost because their flavors weren't "European".

Edited by Grizzly
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

What the heck? How did bunnies in Italy beat out bunnies in Europe? 

I was surprised too.  I thought the other team would win for sure just as I was sure the balloon team had no chance at all.  I sort of enjoyed seeing Al.  I remembered him from several Halloween Wars.  I think I knew James as well but I couldn't quite place him.  I've never cared for Reva but she was OK on this show.

The female judge was just fine but I missed Harry.  I really like her.  

• Love 2

I think Reva wins the prize for the most tv time. The bakery she worked at was featured a few years ago in a series that showed four different bakeries and the different cakes they made. She must have left that bakery and started her own because she was seen working with her husband.  After that she’s been in one completion after another.  

• Love 4
(edited)

When the European tour team initially described their cake's flavors, it didn't occur to me that they didn't match the theme.  But when she cut into it and described it, I said WTF out loud.  That being said, they were definitely robbed.  Although the rabbits were very cute on the Italy cake, they were unfinished, and that pigeon was beyond bad.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 3

I’m watching the arrivals for the Thanksgiving service for the Queen at St Paul’s and our lovely Harry Eastwood just arrived! I tried to attach a pic but the image was too large. I’ll see if I can find one on her social media after it’s over. 

• Love 4

Just watching Food Network, and Food Network Canada is doing a casting call for bakers for Big Bake. 

I'm not sure if that means they are looking for a Canadian season of the series for FoodNetwork.ca, or if they are looking to have Canadian bakers competing with the American ones, but something is happening. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Taeolas said:

Just watching Food Network, and Food Network Canada is doing a casting call for bakers for Big Bake. 

I'm not sure if that means they are looking for a Canadian season of the series for FoodNetwork.ca, or if they are looking to have Canadian bakers competing with the American ones, but something is happening. 

It's a Canadian show.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Pretty sure the show is produced by FN.ca. 

14 minutes ago, Omeletsmom said:

It's a Canadian show.

TIL.... 

Well that makes more sense.  Considering the judges it had, and (IIRC) it didn't have as many of the standard FN.ca celebrities, I'd figured it was one of the usual US productions that FN.ca and the provinces threw money at to get credits or something. 

I've enjoyed this show and I'm glad it's coming back.  I like all the judges and the fact that there's little nonsense.  We just get to watch the teams do what they do.  I do wish it wasn't on quite so late.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

But I don’t see Harry Eastwood listed as a judge. I’ll miss her! 

I sure did.  I really like her.  I love Ron and Eddie but that woman who replaced Harry added nothing and has a horrible voice.

The English team that won deserved to.  I figured they had a good chance when I saw the pictures of previous creations.  They were awesome and IMO far better than the competition's.  It's too bad their lamp didn't turn out right but their overall cake was great.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I thought the camp out cake was also good. Those two ladies were on Halloween and Holiday Wars several times, but not together. Carmel is the queen of cake faces IMO. Her characters have such great expression. Their monster’s arm movement was good too. But the winning team did deserve the win. I really missed Harry. She and RBI are the best baking judges that a FN show has ever had. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I am feeling like the show that aired today in Canada was different than the show the aired in the US last week.

the show I watched had a pirate theme. There was a new judge instead of Harry. So maybe we are just getting them in a different order.

No matter what, this is still my favourite baking challenge. I think the right team won. I won’t say anything more in case there is a difference between the 2 countries. 

Last night’s episode was so enjoyable. I, too, find clowns super creepy but LOL’d when RBI deadpanned “I like clowns.” Then he later put on the clown wig, makeup, glasses and talked to one of the teams! Adorable and hilarious! The right team won but the monkey puppet team had some good elements. I felt sorry for clown car team. The lady judge is just ok but she certainly can’t fill Harry’s shoes. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Last night’s episode was so enjoyable. I, too, find clowns super creepy but LOL’d when RBI deadpanned “I like clowns.” Then he later put on the clown wig, makeup, glasses and talked to one of the teams! Adorable and hilarious! The right team won but the monkey puppet team had some good elements. I felt sorry for clown car team. The lady judge is just ok but she certainly can’t fill Harry’s shoes. 

I liked the episode too. I knew that team would win, everything just looked more polished. Did anyone notice on the clown car team that there seemed to be some drama between the lead woman and one of the other bakers? 

I thought the right team won too.  At the beginning when they showed how many figures they planned to make, I thought they had no chance of getting them all done but they somehow did.

I hope they bring Harry back.  The new woman seems nice enough but her voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

I wish the producers would do away with making them act like the bonus bake is a big surprise.  They all know it's coming because 1) they've watched the show and 2) they're prepared for it with no real pondering or discussion.  Also, whatever ingredients they need for it are already on hand.  Pretending otherwise is just silly.

• Love 4

Once again, the right team won.  I understood what Eddie was saying about some lack of detail but the overall display looked great.  The Paris scene wasn't bad but that big cloud thing was ugly and didn't make a lot of sense to me.

I felt a bit sorry for the team that didn't finish.  What they presented had to be an embarrassment.  The judges went overboard trying to make them feel better.  I can just imagine what Kerry Vincent would have said on the old Challenge.

Speaking of Challenge, the competitors back then made no bones about having practiced their cake displays.  In fact, Kerry Vincent made it clear many times that she expected that they had.  So many teams fall short of what they planned to do that I wonder if they still practice or just assume they can get done.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/10/2022 at 11:23 PM, mlp said:

I felt a bit sorry for the team that didn't finish.  What they presented had to be an embarrassment.  The judges went overboard trying to make them feel better.  I can just imagine what Kerry Vincent would have said on the old Challenge.

I felt bad for them too. Why did they spend so much time making that giant hill? If they put a house on that it would have reached the studio lights. They could have made it a quarter of the size. And I don't think that was the only thing that tripped them up but it sure didn't help. AT least the judges were nice, they could be because they weren't going to win. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 10/10/2022 at 9:23 PM, mlp said:

Speaking of Challenge, the competitors back then made no bones about having practiced their cake displays.  In fact, Kerry Vincent made it clear many times that she expected that they had.  So many teams fall short of what they planned to do that I wonder if they still practice or just assume they can get done.  

That begs the question, when do the teams get their assignment, and when do they actually start the challenge?  The show wants you to believe they're told the theme and after a short planning session, they get right to work.  But considering the need for frames and supports and molds and such, that obviously isn't the case.  If they go back to their workshops and design all that themselves, they should have the chance to practice with the cake in general, or at least portions of it (which might be hard for them to find the time if they're also running busy bakery businesses).  If they design it, then have the show's crew build them what they need, they might not be able to practice much of anything.  I'd really like to know how it works on this show.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

That begs the question, when do the teams get their assignment, and when do they actually start the challenge?  The show wants you to believe they're told the theme and after a short planning session, they get right to work.  But considering the need for frames and supports and molds and such, that obviously isn't the case.  If they go back to their workshops and design all that themselves, they should have the chance to practice with the cake in general, or at least portions of it (which might be hard for them to find the time if they're also running busy bakery businesses).  If they design it, then have the show's crew build them what they need, they might not be able to practice much of anything.  I'd really like to know how it works on this show.

I’d like to know this too. I also assume that the big slabs of plain cake that they use to build structures are already provided and that they only have to bake the cake that will be cut and tasted and also the small bite. That was not a well-written sentence but you know what I mean!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Rammchick said:

That begs the question, when do the teams get their assignment, and when do they actually start the challenge? 

I've always assumed that teams on shows like this know the themes and requirements in advance.  That became obvious to me way back on Cake Wars when the teams would rush to their giant scratch pads and pretend they just came up with a fully formed plan for a complex cake for which they conveniently had everything they needed handy or happened to find whatever "in the pantry."  I don't understand why FN perpetuates this nonsense.  It was very clear on Challenge that the teams not only knew what they had to make but had practiced and that didn't deter fans from watching the process.  

• Love 2
On 10/14/2022 at 11:52 AM, mlp said:

I've always assumed that teams on shows like this know the themes and requirements in advance.  That became obvious to me way back on Cake Wars when the teams would rush to their giant scratch pads and pretend they just came up with a fully formed plan for a complex cake for which they conveniently had everything they needed handy or happened to find whatever "in the pantry."  I don't understand why FN perpetuates this nonsense.  It was very clear on Challenge that the teams not only knew what they had to make but had practiced and that didn't deter fans from watching the process.  

I like your theory, especially since it shows how dumb FN thinks we are to fall for this.

• Like 1

Good show last night.  I have always liked Jason despite his silly Mohawk.  He went to college and then studied pastry in Europe and built a successful business before he was 25 y/o and it's still going strong.  I give him a lot of credit.  He has showed up on FN many times over the years so it seems to me that he must be in his 30s by now.  Time for a haircut.  :)

I think Jason's winning display is the best one ever on the show.  I felt a bit sorry for the Brown Sugar team because they probably would have won on a different week.  I knew the third team wouldn't win before they even got started.  The pictures of their work were a lot less impressive than the cakes made by both other teams and their plans were too ambitious.

• Love 3

Jason’s entry was just about the best I have seen in the many seasons of watching this show! I thought all three entries were better than the usual displays but wow. Jason’s was so well done. The puzzle cookies were cute. I’m sure Danni, the lady judge, is a nice person, but I hope she doesn’t morph into Sunny with her loud screeching. 

❤️ Ron dressing up as the merman! 🤣❤️ So adorable! 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I’m sure Danni, the lady judge, is a nice person, but I hope she doesn’t morph into Sunny with her loud screeching. 

I've been subscribed to her YouTube channel for a few years and this is her toned down a bit.

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 1

I liked the winning pirate ship a lot, but am I the only one disappointed that the angler fish's "bulb" didn't light up?  That's the most distinctive feature of the angler fish!

The cannonballs should have been truffles!!! Guess no time for that, either.

• Love 3