Type keyword(s) to search

Bel-Air - General Discussion

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

Peacock's "Bel-Air" to Premiere on Super Bowl Sunday (February 13, 2022) with New Episodes Released Weekly

SERIES DESCRIPTION:

Set in modern-day America, Bel-Air is a serialized one-hour dramatic analogue of the 90's sitcom "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" that leans into the original premise: Will's complicated journey from the streets of West Philadelphia to the gated mansions of Bel-Air. With a reimagined vision, Bel-Air will dive deeper into the inherent conflicts, emotions and biases that were impossible to fully explore in a 30-minute sitcom format, while still delivering swagger and nods to the original show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

'Inside the ambitious mission to reimagine Fresh Prince'

Bel-Air will be a different take, perhaps, but the one-hour drama does keep the original premise: Troubled Philadelphia teen Will is sent to California to live with his wealthy relatives, the Banks family. (No word yet on this Carlton's affinity for Tom Jones). After struggling through a few iterations in search of the right tone, the creative team — including co-showrunners Newson and T.J. Brady — landed on "showing the full spectrum of the Black experience in America, and not saying one is more authentic than the other," explains Brady.

"You can have this Black family that has struggles, but you never doubt that they love each other — and that there can be conflict that's organic without being too sensational or dark," adds Newson. "We're speaking to the moment now, much like the original series did. Young audiences will see in Will and Carlton and Hilary reflections of some of their own clashes with their parents. Each generation has to rewrite the rules."

Edited by Trini

Looks good -- but shiny trailers almost always do. I hope this is good, because it's an interesting concept to take a classic sitcom and make it a modern-day drama.

I'm not expecting the characters to be exactly the same, but the one I might have the most trouble with being different is Uncle Phil - who seems to not like his nephew very much? At all? But does he at least love him as a family member? I expect conflict between him and Will, but I'm not going to like it if all they do is hate each other.

----

New info from the latest press release: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/video/2022/01/10/video-bel-air-official-trailer-peacock-original-312515/20220110peacock01/

Peacock's BEL-AIR will Premiere on Super Bowl Sunday (February 13, 2022) with Three Episodes at Launch and New Episodes Streaming Weekly

And a new(?) series synopsis:

Set in modern-day America, Peacock's new one-hour drama series Bel-Air imagines the beloved sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air through a new, dramatic take on Will's complicated journey from the streets of West Philadelphia to the gated mansions of Bel-Air. As these two worlds collide, Will reckons with the power of second chances while navigating the conflicts, emotions, and biases of a world far different from the only one he's ever known.

Executive produced by Will Smith, and inspired by Morgan Cooper's viral trailer that reimagined the iconic, culture-defining '90s sitcom, Bel-Air takes a fresh and raw approach to this world of swagger, style, and aspiration, while exploring Will's complex journey through a current lens. The new series features an ensemble cast that introduces Jabari Banks as Will and a creative team that includes Cooper, who serves as director, co-writer, and executive producer, and co-showrunners and executive producers T.J. Brady and Rasheed Newson.

https://www.peacocktv.com/stream-tv/bel-air

On 1/18/2022 at 1:22 PM, PRgal said:

This will air on Showcase in Canada (saw an ad for it today).  Not surprised that Uncle Phil is thin in this version. 

I think the original Uncle Phil was heavy because James Avery was. It is tv after all- fat characters are rare. 

This could be good though. We rarely get black family dramas. Morgan Cooper is making a name for himself! Look where he’s going with one little trailer. 

• Love 1

So am I the only one who has seen the first three episodes of this so far? Edit: Removing spoiler tag now that this has aired.

First and foremost, great characters all around. Almost everyone is likeable and for those who aren't likeable you can at least see where they are coming from.

Having said that, Carlton is an asshole! I thought he was coming around a bit by episode three but at the end he was back into rage mode. Dude's got issues, that's for sure.

There is not a whole lot of comedy in this show but I did laugh at the "one little fight and my mom got scared" line. I also thought there was some good subtle humor in Carlton sitting on his ass watching Will unload chairs at that fraternity event.

Some great material on race and class in every episode and none of it comes across as too preachy. The influencer daughter is a little over the top but I think that's a feature, not a bug. And as I understand it, Youtubers can make just as much money (if not more) than working stiffs but I can definitely see why Aunt Vi doesn't think that's a great career plan.

The gang plot seems to be an ongoing thread and I'm curious to see where that leads. I'm assuming that never came up in the original. I also saw hints that Aunt Vi and Uncle Phil had something to do with Will's father not being around. If they plan on having Will's father be a character would they do the obvious stunt casting?

This is an amazing show so far, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Edited by dwmarch
Removed spoiler tag after air date
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

The show is premiering in Canada tonight and it seems like it’s a weekly thing, at least in cable.  It's going to stream on StackTV the next day.  I can’t comment, but from reviews, it seems like Hilary is a food influencer?  Wouldn’t it make more sense for her to be in fashion?  Maybe even someone who buys things, reviews them and sells on some resale site?

Edited:  Because it's not going to be on Crave.

Edited by PRgal
wrong streaming service
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

cause other then her popping up randomly she is the only one that hasn't been fleshed out AT ALL

Given the much more serious and adult tone of this show, I'm wondering what they can really do with the character.  It feels like she's almost too young for most of the major storylines. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Given the much more serious and adult tone of this show, I'm wondering what they can really do with the character.  It feels like she's almost too young for most of the major storylines. 

shes 12/13 the same age she was in the original and she had some "heavy" plot lines in that one .. it just seems like they have her just there ... it just seemed so random esp with everyone else getting fleshed out in two episodes but her

3 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

shes 12/13 the same age she was in the original and she had some "heavy" plot lines in that one .. it just seems like they have her just there ... it just seemed so random esp with everyone else getting fleshed out in two episodes but her

I honestly don't remember.  She may have had some more serious storylines in the later seasons, when her character was older, but I didn't really recall them giving her much to do when in the first two or so seasons. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I honestly don't remember.  She may have had some more serious storylines in the later seasons, when her character was older, but I didn't really recall them giving her much to do when in the first two or so seasons. 

she was the "prefect one" in the early seasons the one that did want her mom and dad wanted and she relied on Will to show them that she didn't want to be that .. IE the band episode and things ... I just hope they give her more to do then just pop up at the beginning of the episodes then do nothing .. I'm expecting them to Judy Winslow her and have her go up to her room and never be heard from again lol :)

I watched the first episode before I realized that 2 and 3 were on Peacock Premium. I don't know that I've seen enough to upgrade and watch the rest. I'm worried about what's going to happen to Tre back in Philly. Hillary was fun, and the love interest Lisa is cool. Not sure I like Uncle Phil or Carlton much. Why so much antagonism within the family? Why can't it be drama with the people at school, not at home?

• Love 1

I’m only part way through the first episode (it’s the only episode available in Canada right now - and if you want to watch it without paying, it’ll be taken off/you’ll have to pay soon.  Global’s website says it’s free for a limited time).  So the Bankses are taking Will in to help Uncle Phil’s campaign?

While I enjoyed this, I don't find the actors to be as charismatic as the originals, with the exception of the parents. This is probably because the show is sooooo heavy. I knew they were making it a drama, but I think it could use a touch more levity. I also wish Hillary was little more bougie-er! I buy her as an influencer, but every time they talk about her being a chef I'm like, "Hillary would NEVAH!" Lol! Similarly, Carlton is so mean and angry. And every time he does something evil to his family member, I can't help thinking that OG Carlton had his moments, but wasn't a bad person. I think I need to do a bit more disassociating from the original to really get into this version.   

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

I think I need to do a bit more disassociating from the original to really get into this version.   

For me it's going to be the opposite. I'm always going to be looking for flashes of the original in this version.  

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

While I enjoyed this, I don't find the actors to be as charismatic as the originals, with the exception of the parents. This is probably because the show is sooooo heavy. I knew they were making it a drama, but I think it could use a touch more levity. I also wish Hillary was little more bougie-er! I buy her as an influencer, but every time they talk about her being a chef I'm like, "Hillary would NEVAH!" Lol! Similarly, Carlton is so mean and angry. And every time he does something evil to his family member, I can't help thinking that OG Carlton had his moments, but wasn't a bad person. I think I need to do a bit more disassociating from the original to really get into this version.   

Carlton probably has a lot of “anger” around identity issues such as not being “black enough.” 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

is Geoffrey the butler or security I’m confused.

Geoffrey's previous boss appears to have been none other than Marsellus Wallace.

Ringo: Your boss makes you do his laundry?
Jules: When he wants it clean.

• LOL 1

Is Uncle Phil supposed to be shady?  Because I can't figure out what would require him to have Geoffrey level security.  If he was a criminal attorney I'd see it more but he's a class action attorney, right?   

I like Will's PTSD.  

I'm interested in seeing How Hilary pulls things together.  Influencers can make bank but as a person old enough to have watched this show in the original version life it feels like it is all built on a house of cards.  I'm not sure that it is.  But it feels like a bubble that will one day burst, but even if that's true if you bank your money when you're making it... so I'm all for Hilary going for it.  

Carlton is a massive ass but they've got room to go with this since he also has a cocaine issue rehab and fighting addiction could be lots of drama for Carlton and a way to ease back on the intensity of the assholishness.  But I will say when they couch it in the insecurity with his issues with his dad it doesn't bother me so long as the intensity gets dialed back a couple of percentage points.  

If Rashad is really dead because that feels like that is a little too easy?  Or has this been long enough for Will to decide to stay on his own accord?   It feels not earned enough, yet?  Maybe?  

• Love 2

I’m also interested in how the Bankses became THAT wealthy.  Did Phil come from money?  Was he involved in the tech industry and got out before the bust?  Involved in legal for hedge funds?  Legal for the Hollywood set?  A typical lawyer is upper middle class, not Bel-Air money. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I’m also interested in how the Bankses became THAT wealthy.  Did Phil come from money?  Was he involved in the tech industry and got out before the bust?  Involved in legal for hedge funds?  Legal for the Hollywood set?  A typical lawyer is upper middle class, not Bel-Air money. 

In the episode where he does the radio show he very much implies he wasn't super wealthy growing up that his parents were farmers who lost a bunch of land to emanant domain but when he became a lawyer he was able to get them some money for the land they lost (this bit is sketchy) but they also talk about a class action suit and those class action suits can bring in some serious bank.   So I can absolutely see them being pretty wealthy but it doesn't explain Geoffrey.  

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

House manager would imply that there are other help in the house so far he is shown to be the only one … so he’s security and a maid and a butler and .. this is just confusing ....

They probably have someone clean for them.  Not sure about cooking.  The house manager could also be managing the Banks family office, which they probably have.  Geoffrey is probably a Jack-of-all-trades.

9 hours ago, bybrandy said:

In the episode where he does the radio show he very much implies he wasn't super wealthy growing up that his parents were farmers who lost a bunch of land to emanant domain but when he became a lawyer he was able to get them some money for the land they lost (this bit is sketchy) but they also talk about a class action suit and those class action suits can bring in some serious bank.   So I can absolutely see them being pretty wealthy but it doesn't explain Geoffrey.  

Only the first episode is available in Canada right now, so I wouldn’t know.  

• Love 1

So Geoffrey is Phil’s fixer. Did not expect that.

Carlton was slightly less dickish this time around. He certainly had a point with how voter apathy doesn’t solve anything, but Will was right to get them to try to connect more with people and the issues they care about. Phil’s success at the roller rink proved that.

Side note: God, I miss going to roller rinks.

Lisa’s dad being a cop is throwing a wrench into that relationship. Will is right to be wary after everything he went through.

5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Lisa’s dad being a cop is throwing a wrench into that relationship. Will is right to be wary after everything he went through.

I think that's gonna ease when he reveals he knows why Will is in Bel Air.  It's that line "Don't worry, kid.  You're not in trouble."

I think when he found out that Lisa and Will were getting close, he made a few calls.  He found out that just before coming to Bel Air, Will was involved in that altercation, but he knows that Will didn't shoot anybody.  Will had no prior record, he and a friend were in an altercation with some really bad people, and then he's in Bel Air.  And with Lisa vouching for him, he knows that Will was just protecting a friend.

I miss the charm of the original show. 

Carlton was pretentious and naive in the show, but so good-hearted, honest, studious, respectful, and genuinely socially awkward. This Carlton is a sociopath and it's scary. 

I found the Stepping Scene to be the only time the show felt like it had its original "Fresh" flavor. Will Smith is so effortlessly charming that he made people like him, and there were so many scenes where that gregarious zest for life melted people around him. This Will isn't given enough time to be charming, because there's so little space for humor. 

• Love 9

Too bad this doesn't have a real forum topic.  In Canada they are releasing these episodes weekly on Showcase.  I've only seen the first one and I wanted to read about it, but I can't because of spoilers.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I just watched episode 2 in Canada and I really hate Carlton. Can they make him a little less shitty pls. Drugs being planted on Will was so obvious too super lame plot twist.

I hope the basketball guy is really his friend.

Glad Hilary didn’t take the job. She’s rich so there’s no needing money issue and completely changing herself would be stupid. 

• Love 1

I have so many little nitpicks I don't normally have about tv shows.  I'm only on episode two, so maybe some of these things will be addressed.

Why does Will have to go to Bel Air Academy?  There are probably a few prestigious public schools in the area where he would feel more comfortable at.

Why is lacrosse still the go-to rich people sport on tv shows?  Football is a ridiculously expensive sport now, Carlton having a personal whatever-position-he-would-play trainer would have sent the same "they're really rich" message.

I'm going to pretend Uncle Phil made some savvy investments with the settlement money to get eff you rich.

Hillary being a cooking influencer, yes.  Cooking for the family every meal, no.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

I have so many little nitpicks I don't normally have about tv shows.  I'm only on episode two, so maybe some of these things will be addressed.

Why does Will have to go to Bel Air Academy?  There are probably a few prestigious public schools in the area where he would feel more comfortable at.

Why is lacrosse still the go-to rich people sport on tv shows?  Football is a ridiculously expensive sport now, Carlton having a personal whatever-position-he-would-play trainer would have sent the same "they're really rich" message.

I'm going to pretend Uncle Phil made some savvy investments with the settlement money to get eff you rich.

Hillary being a cooking influencer, yes.  Cooking for the family every meal, no.

Probably because lacrosse is a very preppy sport and Carlton is supposed to give off a snobby, preppy vibe.  Honestly, Carlton should be playing tennis, IMHO.  Also, I would have thought Bel-Air Academy would have more Asian students.  It's California after all, and you know how television shows love stereotypes (though I get that LA isn't the Bay Area, but still).  Carlton is on the small side to play varsity football.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Carlton is on the small side to play varsity football.

I think it would be interesting for Will to see skinny, high, entitled Carlton, thinking he can play football because there are two tiny NFL players, get all sorts of coaching that talented players from West Philly can only dream about.

• Love 1

Just watched the first episode. I like this show more than I thought I would. They’re throwing in the mannerisms that made Will what he was in the original show while also making him different from original Will.

Nice opportunity to throw the whole social media influencer age of today into the show with Hilary. This version of her seemed much happier to see Will than the original show Hilary.

To contrast, Carlton seemed annoyed that Will was coming to stay with his family, while he was happy about it in the original show.

Looking forward to watching the other three episodes that are up at the moment.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Why does Will have to go to Bel Air Academy?  

Have you seen the original show?  It's kind of a big part of the show that Will had to go to Bel Air Academy and adjust to the school while the school had to adjust to him.

I love the reverence this show has towards the original.

I JUST rewatched "Inside Man" for like the 10th time this weekend, and lo and behold, who played Denzel Washington's love interest? Cassandra Freeman, who plays Aunt Viv.  (She's way younger than Denzel though.  24 years younger.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I just saw Episode 3!  I got major goosebumps when Will flipped the jacket around inside out.  😍

That's completely against dress code, at schools like that (but hey, that's what Will did in the OG series).  We would have gotten in SO MUCH TROUBLE (we used to get in trouble for wearing our shirts untucked.  To the point that they changed the style around 2005 because they got tired of reminding us) and it always bothered me that faculty at Bel-Air Academy never got upset at Will.

• Love 1

Watching episode 4.

For those who don't know the original, Tre (or Ice Tray) was played by Don Cheadle, and

Spoiler

He and Hilary had a thing!

Wonder if that will happen here.

Jazz is my favourite thing about the original, so they really need to step him up here.  I think that DJ Jazzy Jeff is fucking hysterical.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay