Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E01: Cake Week

• Start Topic

Twelve new contestants make their way into the famous tent, hoping they have what it takes to bake their way to the final. They start off with cake week, and a signature challenge in which they must produce 12 mini rolls, before working out the recipe for a nostalgic teatime classic in the technical. For the showstopper, the bakers are asked to express their creativity with cakes designed to defy the laws of physics. Presented by Noel Fielding and Matt Lucas, with Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith.

Original UK Airing: Tuesday, September 21, 2021.

• Love 3

Those opening skids are getting weirder and weirder. Paul Ray Cyrus and band ....

achybreakycakey.jpg

When it comes to gravity defying cakes, nothing beats Canadian Bake Off's Sheldon and his tensegrity table. I bet the GBBO producers were hoping that one of the engineers they cast this year would come up with something like that:

sheldonTower.thumb.jpg.0544b560bdbd8eb034080995b74cc3f1.jpg

Edited by Aulty
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

I love Jürgen! Cute little German man! He reminds me of Heimlich, the caterpillar from A Bug’s Life

Giuseppe is brilliant. His cake rolls looked professional and scrummy.

I thought the Maggie/Prue jokes were funny, with Maggie wearing Prue’s glasses. 

Freya is showing well for only being 19. Her accent is both intriguing and annoying. lol

So glad to be ‘back in the tent.’

• Love 20

Yeah, the opening skits are definitely getting weirder, and this one was far too long. But they do serve to illuminate something about Paul even more clearly - he's way happier dealing with other men, on a blokey level, than he is dealing with women. He'd never have done a skit like that with Mel and Sue.

This is a nicely cosmopolitan group - Italian, German, Trinidadian, Greek, posh old lady, working class younger ladies. More representative of the modern UK than some people might like. I like George, and it might be because he really reminds me of Omid Djalili, but he seems like a good lad.

"I've never felt more like a chimney-sweep in my life," was an amazing line.

Giuseppe's mini-rolls looked like something you could buy in a shop, Crystelle's looked like something you could buy in a patisserie. Both really good.

Malt loaf? I am not surprised Giuseppe has no idea what it is. It's such a provincial, northern English bit of stodge. I suppose it's fitting that the best two were made by the 70 year old and the Yorkshire lass.

The showstoppers seem more and more like engineering projects by the year. Some of them looked genuinely impressive, but I wonder what bakers will be expected to create in two or three years.

• Love 17
9 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

"I've never felt more like a chimney-sweep in my life," was an amazing line.

The showstoppers seem more and more like engineering projects by the year. Some of them looked genuinely impressive, but I wonder what bakers will be expected to create in two or three years.

Great line.  I prefer the 1st 2 bakes each show because its just about the food.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

This is a nicely cosmopolitan group - Italian, German, Trinidadian, Greek, posh old lady, working class younger ladies. More representative of the modern UK than some people might like.

Representative of modern England more like - not one contestant from Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales in the line-up this year. And I don't think thats just down to Covid restrictions.
But its a good mix for Netflix's global audience.

Edited by Aulty
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

What a happy start to the morning!!!!!

While watching the police detective bake, I thought . . . "She would be a GREAT replacement for Cassie on Unforgotten.  Totally different personality, and her 'personal conflict' - instead of dysfunction in her family - could be preparing new things to bake, and testing them on the squad.  Let Sunny carry the heavy-weight stuff!"

Okay . . . just kidding.  But I did love the new group.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I like Maggie and really hope they don't carry on with the Prue comparisons.

That opening was odd, though Paul seemed really into it even if the local wildlife was apparently not. And I didn't like Matt's Flintstones bit, but was happy that Noel seems to be more aware of when he's potentially distracting bakers than he was in previous seasons. His delight at Lizzie's ostrich story and their matching tops was also a highlight. I don't dislike Matt, but I'd probably enjoy the show even more if it was just Noel presenting.

I felt bad for Jürgen but did laugh at the ending when they switched it up from the usual triumphant phone call with the star baker's family.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Love 18
On 9/23/2021 at 10:19 AM, khyber said:

I prefer the 1st 2 bakes each show because its just about the food.

I'm just the opposite! I enjoy it all, but the third is my favorite. Since I can't taste the food, I most enjoy the bake that is the visual, decorative one.

2 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

His delight at Lizzie's ostrich story and their matching tops was also a highlight.

What kind of weird coincidence was that top/sweater match?!

• Love 6

Fyi it has aired in the US :).

Interesting group of people. I think this was a bit more jarring from me as I was rewatching the season two a go (the one with Henry, Steph, David  etc). Which they were just better bakers even at the beginning. But that doesn't make this season bad, I'm looking forward to it.

I'm glad the German guy won (don't know names yet). I thought he did the best in all of the tasks. And I felt that the one person did save herself as her cake was at least "gravity defying" even if it was clear how she did it. And the of course her cake broke because Paul put a hole in it. I was revealed that this was what the preview spoiled and that she already was judged.

I kept thinking the one (Lizzie?) had a Derry accent like she could have stepped of the set of Derry Girls. Of course they said she lives in Liverpool, maybe she moved there?

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

What a lovely group of contestants, I like them all.  It's clear they have varying skill levels, but they are all interesting.  Just about all the bakes, even (or especially?) the messy ones looked delicious.

I've never heard of mini rolls, or malt loaves but I would love some.  

Maybe I'm over -sensitive but I didn't really like the ostrich story, I felt sorry for it.  

I feel like they shouldn't have elevations the first week to let them get over any tent nerves, with a double elimination perhaps on the second week.

• Love 3

I actually thought the opener was hilarious. I don't know why. BUT now I can't get that song out of my head and I blame Paul Hollywood.

If Matt had sung two lines of the Flintstones it would have been cute. I actually couldn't believe it when he went on. And on. I don't understand why they seem to be just letting him go on. On the other hand I think Noel got the message.

Jürgen's little shrug and "Nobody home" after the phone call made me sad.

I like all the bakers. Maybe I even love them. Some of the bakes were bad, very bad. I felt bad for the guy with the pink cake that failed miserably. I think he said he was mortified. I feel bad about that. I'm hoping that's all first day jitters. I am so glad this show is back.

• Love 9

Loved the opening bit. I think Paul H has really loosened up as time has gone on.

Was mildly surprised that the young vegan gal Freya did so well. It will be interesting to see how she does...vegan baking has to be difficult, especially considering all the types of stuff they do on the show. She reminds me of the character of Dalia in the show Suburgatory the way she does the "vocal burn" thing at the ends of her sentences. I keep expecting her to say "Mummy..."

Love the German gentleman, was sad no one answered his phone call about being Star Baker. Liked all the bakers pretty much, and wasn't surprised at the first guy, Tom, to go.

I like Matt Lucas well enough, but don't think this is a good fit for him. I miss Sandy, and of course Mel & Sue, who set a very high bar. Noel is great when he isn't just talking talking to a contestant. I think Lizzie was a bit star struck. I don't expect her to go far.

Might have to use Closed Captioning for some of this, had a bit of a challenge understanding what was said a few times.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, blueray said:

I kept thinking the one (Lizzie?) had a Derry accent like she could have stepped of the set of Derry Girls. Of course they said she lives in Liverpool, maybe she moved there?

Lizzie has a scouse / Liverpool accent. The scouse accent has been heavily influenced by the Irish accent and other ones owning it to being a port city. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 6
53 minutes ago, Athena said:

Lizzie has a scouse / Liverpool accent. The scouse accent has been heavily influenced by the Irish accent and other ones owning it to being a port city. 

Oh okay. So that's why my american brain heard some Irish lol.

I think there is less (or no?) people from Ireland or Scotland because of the boarders being closed due to Covid. A youtube I watch got busted for being  in Scotland (well and trespassing on someones land) when he is from England. I imagine it was just to dificult and they wouldn't be able to go home in between. Unless this year is like last year with the bubble? 

Edited by blueray

And we’re back. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again:  I hate the opening skits.  I have no idea what the showrunners did to convince Paul and Prue to take part in that.  I hope that this is as ridiculous as it gets. 

I’m American. I’ve never been to Europe. I’ve heard of the Black Forest, heard of Black Forest cake/gateaux, but have never seen anyone actually from there, on TV or otherwise.   It just always sounded like a mythical place to me, like Shangri-La.

I seem to be in the minority so far, but was actually impressed with Matt’s singing of The Flintstones theme in German.

Maggie’s a good sport about the jokes about her resemblance to Prue.  So far, I like her.  She seems to have a lovely spirit.  Maybe she just reminds me of my mom. 

I was very impressed with Freya’s and Crystelle’s flower work on their showstoppers.  Those were so very beautiful to where they looked like real flowers.
Jurgen and Giuseppe are my favorites right now.  I love how precise Giuseppe is.  Jurgen’s showstopper was a simple concept done very well.

Jurgen’s intro bit actually bothered my inner band geek.  Growing up, I played high brass, and I know what trombones look like, but I had never seen trombones that look like the ones he and his son were playing, with such a narrow, short bell.  I looked it up, and it looks like what they’re playing is a predecessor of the modern trombone called a sackbut.

Tom - I’m not sure why he signed up.  He says he hates cutting things exact, and this is a show where the challenges often are all about precision. It’s like he had a very tenuous understanding of the brief for the showstopper. 

Edited by Yajmele
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16

What in the ever lovin’ hell was that opening?

I miss Mel and Sue’s understated openings. I even miss the Sandy’s short jokes. Seriously, this show has always been about the bakers and their bakes. Lately, it’s been more about the hosts and the judges. 

And these are my thoughts in just the first 5 minutes!

ETA: Also, Matt is still annoying. 

Edited by irisheyes
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, irisheyes said:

What in the ever lovin’ hell was that opening?

I miss Mel and Sue’s understated openings. I even miss the Sandy’s short jokes. Seriously, this show has always been about the bakers and their bakes. Lately, it’s been more about the hosts and the judges. 

And these are my thoughts in just the first 5 minutes!

ETA: Also, Matt is still annoying. 

I don’t mind Matt too much, but I don’t think he is the best fit for the show. I agree with the rest of your post, though. I saw all of 5 seconds of the opening and fast forwarded past it. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

Was mildly surprised that the young vegan gal Freya did so well.

And of course we found out she was vegan the moment she opened her mouth.  I can't stand her accent.  It just seems like an affectation.  I am, however, open to changing my mind.  Her showstopper was amazing.

I couldn't understand a word Lizzie said (and I have no problem with the Derry Girls' accents).  Is that the dreaded Scouse accent?  I do hope to be able to understand her better as time goes by.

3 hours ago, Oosala said:

I can't stand her accent.  It just seems like an affectation. 

It's a vocal fry. Vocal frys (fries?) and British accents together sound really weird.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I like Freya. I was really impressed by her efforts, especially her cake. I also laughed at how casual she sounded talking to Prue and Paul when they were judging her vegan mini rolls ("It's a bit of a faff, isn't it, really?").

Chigs is the baker I was worried about. He looked painfully on edge at some points, but seemed to feel more at ease by the end. There was a baker in an earlier season (Stacey from season 8, I think) who would get so frantic that it made it hard for me to enjoy watching.

• Love 6

I don’t remember Jürgen’s exact phrase, but he called himself something like a “Happy little Jürgen.” Lol.

The same types of bakers: Experienced, newbie, young, the unique flavors person, the person whose flavors are good but presentation is sloppy, the engineer, the artist, and the 3-4 people who make you wonder how they even got on the show in the first place and if the show’s running out of talent.

I thought several of the bakers have potential, and it’ll be nice to get through the first few weeks to the cull the group.

• Love 3

I actually loved the opening "gig."  Lord knows I need to laugh more these days, and that did it.  I'm a lover of line dancing, and "Achy Breaky Heart" is a cruise ship line dancing regular.  I could actually have danced my way through the whole opening.  Maybe I'll rewatch it today and get up up my feet!

I'm cheering for Jürgen and Giuseppe so far.  I think the right person went home on the first episode.  And I need the pattern for that crocheted vest the young lady was wearing.

• Love 8

I feel this bunch are bakers, instead of being cast for their personalities.  I like the “over 35” bakers, like Val from whatever season.  They have so much knowledge and experience.  I really thought the Jamaican? guy was going home since he presented a blob for the showstopper. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Yajmele said:

And we’re back. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again:  I hate the opening skits.  I have no idea what the showrunners did to convince Paul and Prue to take part in that.  I hope that this is as ridiculous as it gets. 

I’m American. I’ve never been to Europe. I’ve heard of the Black Forest, heard of Black Forest cake/gateaux, but have never seen anyone actually from there, on TV or otherwise.   It just always sounded like a mythical place to me, like Shangri-La.

I seem to be in the minority so far, but was actually impressed with Matt’s singing of The Flintstones theme in German.

Maggie’s a good sport about the jokes about her resemblance to Prue.  So far, I like her.  She seems to have a lovely spirit.  Maybe she just reminds me of my mom. 

I was very impressed with Freya’s and Crystelle’s flower work on their showstoppers.  Those were so very beautiful to where they looked like real flowers.
Jurgen and Giuseppe are my favorites right now.  I love how precise Giuseppe is.  Jurgen’s showstopper was a simple concept done very well.

Jurgen’s intro bit actually bothered my inner band geek.  Growing up, I played high brass, and I know what trombones look like, but I had never seen trombones that look like the ones he and his son were playing, with such a narrow, short bell.  I looked it up, and it looks like what they’re playing is a predecessor of the modern trombone called a sackbut.

Tom - I’m not sure why he signed up.  He says he hates cutting things exact, and this is a show where the challenges often are all about precision. It’s like he had a very tenuous understanding of the brief for the showstopper. 

We liked the intro.

Our family friend is from the Black Forest. He is actually more like an uncle to me as I have known him my whole like and he was my dad's best friend. So I was thrilled for Jurgen. His cake was lovely. 

• Love 4

Lots of good bakers to root for! Mat turned up as a guest judge on the season opener of RuPaul's Drag Race UK Season 3. He had better jokes there, so hopefully he will improve his game on this show, cuz it looks like we are stuck with him. 

You know you don't actually have to watch the opening bits.  It's a great opportunity to gather your beverages and get settled comfortably before the real show starts.  I assume that was Matt singing for Paul.

It's back!  Baking!  I too thought the Indian guy with the pink cylinder was toast, but he pulled through somehow.

I don't think Maggie and Pru look alike at all.

Someday they need to interview the production crew who have to clean up between the bakes.  All that stuff dripping off the stool!

• Love 6
13 hours ago, LadyNebula said:

Did anyone else imagine Maggie riding around 1950s London on a bike when they mentioned she was a retired midwife?  I don’t care if she’s not from London. I don’t care if she’s not that old. I don’t care that she presumably never lived with a gaggle of nuns. The image is living in my head rent-free for the remainder of her time on the show. 

VERY first thought in my head when they introduced her!

• Love 2

I was embarrassed for all four of them in the Achy Breaky Heart thing. Also what a friggin' random song to do.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:08 AM, Danny Franks said:

Malt loaf? I am not surprised Giuseppe has no idea what it is. It's such a provincial, northern English bit of stodge.

Yeah, when he said he was over 35 but had never heard of it, I was like, yeah, but have you lived in England for over 35 years?

13 hours ago, Oosala said:

And of course we found out she was vegan the moment she opened her mouth. 

In her defense, she had to explain why she was using alternative ingredients. It's not like she's going to lie and say she's using aquafaba for the fun of it.

1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

I don't think Maggie and Pru look alike at all.

I don't think so either. They only have the same hair.

• Love 6

I thought it was slightly about the hair but mostly about their manner of speaking being similar, not really anything like all around looks. I know they did the stupid bit with the glasses, but really the moment of first comparison was because of how they were talking to each other.

• Love 3
On 9/24/2021 at 9:23 AM, AZChristian said:

While watching the police detective bake, I thought . . . "She would be a GREAT replacement for Cassie on Unforgotten.  Totally different personality, and her 'personal conflict' - instead of dysfunction in her family - could be preparing new things to bake, and testing them on the squad.  Let Sunny carry the heavy-weight stuff!"

I'd watch a show with her as a baking Met detective. 

I had to put on cc for Lizzie. I watch a lot of British TV shows but I couldn't understand her at all, at least at the beginning. 

Edited by Mediocre Gatsby
  • Love 4

Sorry, but that opening skit was concentrated cringe.  Went on for waaaay too long.

Speaking of going on too long... they could have cut a lot of Matt's German Flintstones, but didn't.  Was there really that little baking footage that they needed so much filler? 

Other than that, I liked Matt and Nigel's anti-gravity time calls.  They didn't try too hard.

I live with a vegan.  He follows Freya on social media, and said that her past presentations there weren't fully vegan but made no comments on her cake rolls or Showstopper (other than to compliment her flowers), so there's something to look out for.  (I saw that she made butter for the technical with no complaints.  My vegan would have gone on about dairy farming.  And now I want fresh butter.)

Jurgen and Guiseppe are my frontrunners so far.  But I'm, to coin a British word, rubbish at guessing who will win.  And I too am confused on why they think Maggie is Prue's doppleganger.  George may have not baked well, but his personality was so sweet I hoped he rallied to see at least another week.

• Love 3

Only one episode in and I'm loving the Jürgen-isms.  His quiet "There was a little wind..." to explain the downed trees on his Black Forest rolls just about killed me, as well as his dry "No one home" and nonchalant shrug at the end.  I was also delighted with Guiseppe's "neat as a pin" rolls...I actually said "Well done, you!" to the teevee.

• LOL 1
  • Love 23
44 minutes ago, JustDucky said:

And I too am confused on why they think Maggie is Prue's doppleganger.

All old white haired ladies look the same. lol I don't see the resemblance but I appreciate that both ladies just played along and hopefully that will be the end of that. 

I skipped the beginning skit. I just can't with that. I used to watch for the judges, bakers and hosts, but now I just watch for the bakers. This seems, so far, to be a good crop. It might get me to keep watching but at least the eps are shorter for me since I FF through the intro part. lol

• Love 5

It's Saturday evening, Sept 25, 2021 and, for weeks, my spouse and I've been looking forward to watching the new season (#12) of Great British Bake Off which we read in many different sources began showing yesterday in the US. We've had a Netflix subscription of years and have been watching the new season of Sex Education on Netflix this past week. As this afternoon stretched on, I logged on to the Netflix website (and app) to search for the show. I found it listed nowhere. I tried multiple ways to search for it and have had no luck! Can someone give me a clue what's going on?

22 hours ago, Yajmele said:

I have no idea what the showrunners did to convince Paul and Prue to take part in that.

I have to assume they paid Paul a metric ton of money.  He always acts like he has a stick up his butt and usually rolls his eyes at anyone else's efforts at humor, so I'm assuming he got paid to be silly.

A couple of those showstoppers, sadly, seemed like they're be right at home on Nailed It.  Whenever I see Rice Krispie treats being used, that's where my mind goes, anyway. 

That said, I'm glad they're back.  Matt is still the weakest link. 

• Love 5

I was impressed that Freya didn’t launch into a lecture when she was required to make fresh butter. And I had no idea you could make butter with a mixer.

Matt constantly tries too hard. He needs to learn that not all contestants can take his distracting shenanigans.

Paul seems to be getting a little spongey.

They don’t have a young, humble student this year, but Giuseppe will do. 

• Love 1
On 9/24/2021 at 9:56 PM, Yajmele said:

Damn.  I've never seen a post as long as this where I agree with Every. Single. Point.  OK, every one except for the 2nd to last paragraph about the trombones, because I know nothing about trombones and I have never heard of a sackbut, but it made me giggle like a 12 year old when I read it.  @Yajmele, if I could like your post 100 times, I would.

And, I think it deserves to be said again...  I really loved Matt's German rendition of the Flinstones theme.  I thought it was hilarious!  Especially the "Wilhelmina!" at the end.  And I loved Jurgen's deadpan response to that, and pretty much everything else.  The "nobody's home" at the end made me laugh out loud and scare the hell out of my cat.

OK, I was never a fan of Noel and until last season he really was nails on a chalkboard to me.  But last season there was something different, and I guessed it was that due to their "bubble" he had more time to really get to know the bakers and was interacting with them more, instead of just doing some schtick.  I'm getting the same feel this time around, as he doesn't bug as much as he used to. 

Who lost what bet that resulted in that godawfullycringeworthy opener???  Thank god for the fast forward button.  I guess that's one good thing about not being able to watch these "live". 

How did the guy with the pink blob of buttercream end up staying?  Can someone give me a quick recap of his 3 bakes vs. the guy who left?  (This is my problem in the first few episodes - too many bakers, can't remember from one bake to another how each one did on the last bake.)

Freya - I'm glad so many others have commented on this, because I really thought it was just me...  her vocal fry is incredibly annoying.  And, as someone else said, it's just weird to hear vocal fry with an English accent.  I don't know why, but I just assumed vocal fry was uniquely American.  But, no, it somehow has infected the rest of the world's female youth.  I blame it on the Kardashians. 

• Love 4

It's fun to have the tent back and more episodes to look forward to.  The opening did provoke a massive eyeroll from me, but oh well.

I also have trouble keeping track of everyone in the early stages.  It did seem like the edit was hinting at either Tom or Lizzie going, so I wasn't surprised, but then neither was Tom.  I think it was him because he missed the brief on a gravity defying cake.  The other baker whose cake was supposed to have the paint can failed understood the goal, and recovered enough to present something. 

Until this episode I thought I was pretty good at understanding a Liverpool accent.

The bit with Maggie wasn't really triggered until Paul called her Pru when he asked her to explain her first bake.  Noel and Matt seized on that and ran with it.  I did laugh at Noel feeling like a chimney sweep next to the two of them.

I agree with all of you on the strong showing for Giuseppe and Jurgen.  The most beautiful showstopper was the bouquet of flowers, but I admire the effort and precision required to make that lampshade.  I wonder how Jurgen arrived at "Utopia" as his first English language book. 

• Love 4