Type keyword(s) to search

Family Law (2021) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 11/19/2021 at 11:25 PM, brisbydog said:

I knew Craig would end up with Daniel!

I really liked that. So Daniel got a dog and a partnership.

Very good episode. 

I know Lucy doesn't deserve any sympathy but I still felt sorry for her. Actually, I never really took to Maggie. But Asha or whatever her name is was a real bitch.  She could have just walked away without saying anything.

23 hours ago, meira.hand said:

I understand the shock but I have no empathy for the way she treated the father who was a loving parent to her all her life. After all he was in shock as well but it never for a moment occurred to him to stop seeing her as anything but his daughter. She was was both dumb and very cruel.

Yes, she was, but mostly just lost and in shock.  At least her bad attitude didn't last long.

And Frank? Why is he flirting around with some other woman when Abby was just about to move back in?

Anyhow, I look forward to Season 2.

• Love 4

For those of us in the USA, the CW has acquired broadcast rights for this series (press release).  No details yet about when the series will debut on the CW...

...But, June would be my best guess.  (Previously, the CW used Kristin Kreuk's CBC legal drama, Burden of Truth, as summer filler.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

RENEWED! - For a 10 episode 3rd season.  From the Global press release:

May 17, 2022 – The verdict is in! Today, Global announced that Season 3 of hit Canadian legal drama Family Law has been greenlit for an all-new 10-episode season. Produced by SEVEN24 Films and Lark Productions, and created by Canadian award-winning author Susin Nielsen, Season 3 is set to begin filming in Vancouver on May 24. The principal cast including Jewel Staite, Victor Garber, Zach Smadu, Genelle Williams and Lauren Holly all return for the new season. This renewal comes ahead of the show’s Season 2 premiere, which will be announced at a later date.

In the U.S.A., the first season of the series will debut this fall on the CW, airing on Sundays in the 8pm ET/PT slot (CW press release).

• Love 3

I've just finished watching this show and thought it was great!

Abi was horrendous at the beginning of the season, but really grew on me as it progressed. There must be more to these Frank/Felicity shenanigans. It seems so bizarre that Frank would ask Abi to move back into the house whilst seeing Felicity.

I like Lucy, she is such a mess at the moment (in terms of her personal life).

Daniel is interesting, he's very camp. His ex-fiance is absolutely beautiful.

Overall, I think the acting is very good, the storylines are engaging and I am really looking forward to the next season.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 5/10/2022 at 12:25 PM, Harvey said:

When is this show coming back, does anyone have any idea? I am so excited.

Well I could not find any information on when this is supposed to be airing but all ten episodes of season 2 have leaked online.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Well I could not find any information on when this is supposed to be airing but all ten episodes of season 2 have leaked online.

Oh wow, that is so amazing! And I was just looking for something to watch, but failing miserably. Thank you for quoting me. 🥰

• Like 1

I'll spoiler code this just in case although it isn't much of a spoiler, just a Vancouver face I was not expecting to see:

Spoiler

Episode 4 has a brief scene featuring Dr. Uri Burstyn (although not playing himself), famous on Youtube for Squish That Cat:

I have to say, season 2 was excellent. I love that we learned more about Abby and explored her background / psyche a lot more. There were so many hard-hitting emotional scenes this season, specially in episode 1. I loved those. The other characters plot points and trajectories made sense too and moved forward in a logical way. I'm curious to see what happens in season 3, although I shudder to think that we probably have to wait until 2024 to even get that...🥶

This is such a great little show. Season Two was really good.

The acting on this show is great, the characters are a hoot and a half and the storylines are all very compelling.

Frank disappointed me this season; he was much more level-headed in the first season. I guess divorce brings out the worst in people.

The only thing I'm quite baffled by is the relationship between Abi and Aiden. He seems like a good bloke, but I have zero understanding as to why he went for Abi; it would be nice to get some development on that in the next season (assuming they are still together).

• Love 2
On 9/24/2022 at 5:38 AM, funandfitpt said:

Where did you watch Season 2? Was it on TV and I somehow missed it?

33 minutes ago, Trey said:

No answers yet?  I was wondering too.

Well, they leaked online so they are not on streaming services. I personally downloaded the episodes from a torrent site and that's how I have them.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Harvey said:

Well, they leaked online so they are not on streaming services. I personally downloaded the episodes from a torrent site and that's how I have them.

My copy fell off the back of a truck too. I looked around for a schedule for the show but I couldn't find anything. I don't know if's being held for mid-season or what.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dwmarch said:

My copy fell off the back of a truck too. I looked around for a schedule for the show but I couldn't find anything. I don't know if's being held for mid-season or what.

I think it is being held back until the First Season airs in the US starting on October 2 at 8pm on The CW. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't air Season 1 and 2 together in the US or release Season 2 in Canada around the same time they release Season 2 in the US. I think Season 3 is also completed waiting for release.

• Useful 2

S01.E01: Sins of the Father

Abigail (Jewel Staite) begins her probationary period at Svensson and Associates, forced to work with her estranged father Harry (Victor Garber) and her half-siblings Daniel (Zach Smadu) and Lucy (Genelle Williams). She immediately oversteps her low-level position by helping Jeanette, a woman who found her sperm donor via Craigslist, track down the father of her now 13-year-old daughter and sue him for retroactive child support. But when Abigail sees the toll this case is taking on her client’s daughter (who simply wants a relationship with her dad) she fears her intervention might tear this family apart; mirroring her own family situation. Meanwhile, Abby is still stung by her separation from her husband Frank (guest star Luke Camilleri) and misses her kids terribly. Lastly, Daniel, is dealing with a custody battle of his own... an arbitration over a pug called Craig.

Premiere Date: October 2, 2022      CW     8pm        

• Love 1

S01.E02: Parenthood

Abigail (Jewel Staite) and Daniel (Zach Smadu) represent a couple with Down syndrome who must prove to authorities they are fit to raise their unborn child. Social services has threatened to take the baby away unless Ellie and Levi can prove they are capable parents. Abigail and Daniel agree to represent them and try creative ways to come up with a workable parenting plan, but obstacles – including Harry (Victor Garber) – litter their path. Meanwhile, Lucy (Genelle Williams) prefers to avoid the whole topic of parenthood altogether, which proves difficult when her wife Maggie (guest star Ali Liebert) ups the pressure to start a family. And when Abigail discovers Nico (guest star Brenden Sunderland) is being bullied at school, she confronts his tormentor but takes it too far.

Premiere Date: October 9, 2022      CW   8pm        

I find Abigail and her father both so unlikable, it's hard for me to invest in the stories because the whole show seems to revolve around the two of them and their completely stuck dynamic. I don't really respect either one of them, and I want everyone else on the show to just tell them to grow up already or get threapy or something.

Everybody else seems more interesting, but they don't get much focus or development, though it looks like maybe the sister is going to have drama at home based on her partner wanting a child while she doesn't. But again-- say something, for godsake. They seem pretty far along in the process for her to not have had this conversation. And lying and saying she's at work when she's actually at a bar picking up and fucking someone else in a bathroom stall is pretty much the worst way to handle the problem.

I'm only on the 2nd episode of S1, so I don't know if this changes. But right now, I am finding the overwhelming annoyance I feel towards the characters is distracting from the plots.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm only on the 2nd episode of S1, so I don't know if this changes. But right now, I am finding the overwhelming annoyance I feel towards the characters is distracting from the plots.

It changes. Abigail becomes very likeable. As you watch more episodes Daniel will be the only one who is hard to root for.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

S01.E03: Addicted to Love

POOR DECISIONS – Abigail (Jewel Staite) and Daniel (Zach Smadu) defend Marlee (guest star Steph Song), a mother whose addiction to online gaming (and frequent sexual rendezvous with another avatar) have brought her parenting abilities into question — at least, her soon-to-be-ex-husband claims she is negligent and sues for full custody of their kids. Abby gives her questionable advice because, like Marlee, she is in deep denial of her own addiction. Abby’s denial culminates in some very poor decisions. Meanwhile, Daniel resolves to tie the knot with Danielle (guest star Yvonne Chapman) after some ribbing from Lucy (Genelle Williams), who is still reeling from the guilt, and thrill, of her recent transgression.

Premiere Date: October 16, 2022      CW   8pm        

S01.E04: Mama Don't Preach

UNDERCOVER – Abigail (Jewel Staite) and Daniel Daniel (Zach Smadu) meet Aaron — an out and proud teenager who wants to be emancipated from his parents. Initially skeptical of Aaron’s reasons (micro-aggressions, anyone?), the lawyers realize how serious the situation is when Aaron’s parents force him into a Pray Away the Gay camp. In order to build their case and ensure Aaron’s safety, the lawyers send Cecil (guest star Brett Kelly) to the camp – though he protests going undercover is not the job of a paralegal. Meanwhile,

Premiere Date: October 23, 2022      CW   8pm        

I believe conversion therapy is now illegal in Canada (as of January 2022), but this episode originally aired in Canada in 2021 and was just shown in the U.S. 10/2022.  

Abigail may have been treated badly by her father, but she really needs to adjust her attitude if she wants her own family to reunite.  Her husband has every right to be po'd at her for lying about going to therapy.  I'm glad she's finally turning to the office manager for A.A. help.  She should move out of her mother's home, since the woman's openly drinking in front of her is really a hurtful thing for a parent  of an alcoholic to do to her child.

Edited by buckboard
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

S01.E05: Until Death Do Us Part

TRUE MOTIVATIONS – Abigail (Jewel Staite) and Daniel (Zach Smadu) represent Ira (Brian Markinson), who wants his wife Helen (Glynis Davies) moved from a care home that he claims is worsening her Alzheimer’s. But because his daughter doesn’t want Helen moved and holds power of attorney, Ira must challenge her in court. The more the lawyers witness, the more they wonder about Ira’s true motivations. The case, and his own family, make Daniel start to question his commitment to Danielle (guest star Yvonne Chapman). Meanwhile, Lucy (Genelle Williams) tries to maintain a sliver of sanity when her in-laws stay over. And Harry (Victor Garber) forces Abigail to represent him in a (deeply embarrassing) personal injury case. 

Premiere Date: October 30, 2022      CW   8pm        

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Why does Daniel hate Abigail? Do we ever find out? The contrast between his attitude and the sister's is really stark. 

Yes.

Spoiler

At first he feels that their father does too much to save her and risks the company's reputation just by having her there. Later on Abigail does a lot better as a lawyer than him and he becomes jealous and worried that Harry will want Abigail as a partner instead of him.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Daniel and Lucy never met Abigail, all they knew is that she brought disgrace on the family so they never had a chance to develop a relationship with her before the start of the show.

Both Daniel and Abigail have suffered from their father leaving their mothers.  Lucy had it better because her mother died so Harry kept her raised by nannies. (At one point Abigail jabs that she lucky that her mother died when she was so young because otherwise Harry would have left her too.)

In addition to what @Harvey said, Lucy is a therapist so it's kind of her job to forgive people.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Daniel and Lucy never met Abigail, all they knew is that she brought disgrace on the family so they never had a chance to develop a relationship with her before the start of the show.

I mean, yeah they never knew her, but I don't think that means they should hate her. Any rational person would realize that their father screwed her over and yes, she is an alcoholic who had a horrible and humiliating hit bottom moment. If that's all it takes to decide she's hate material, Daniel needs to grow up. He can be cautious, but he's really hostile and it doesn't make him look good, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Daniel needs to grow up

Even though it's not said on the show, I got the feeling that that's Harry sentiment too.

Spoiler

Daniel wants to be a partner and Harry keep resisting. At the end of season 1, Harry offers him a kind of partnership because he's pushed by Jerri and Abigail to do so but it's Abigail that he wants as a partner at the firm.

• Love 1

1.5  Until Death Do Us Part  Why didn't Miriam's attorney insist the judge hear an explanation of why her client withdrew the money before making her decision regarding power of attorney?  When Daniel and Abigail heard the explanation, should they have still continued on with their "she withdrew the money for her own benefit" knowing the money was withdrawn at her father's suggestion?

Former Supreme Court justice Sandra Day O'Connor's husband had an affair with another woman when he was in care for dementia and O'Connor allowed it to continue.  She understood that this was his reality and that he was no longer the man she had known during their marriage. It's a very sad situation.

• Love 3

S01.E06: Baby Off Board

DECISIONS – The lawyers are bewildered when a young couple begs them to reverse an adoption after learning about the baby’s serious health issues. Abigail (Jewel Staite) determines that the father, Ajay, is driving the decision, and convinces the mother, Jane to fight to keep the baby. Meanwhile, Daniel (Zach Smadu) makes his case for Harry (Victor Garber) to promote him to partner, after breaking it off with Danielle. Lucy (Genelle Williams) and Maggie’s (guest star Ali Liebert) differences over starting a family come to a head while Abigail and Frank (guest star Luke Camilleri) have to deal with their own parenting issues when Sofia (guest star Eden Summer Gilmore) is caught making out with a boy Abby calls “Charles Manson kid.”

Premiere Date: November 6, 2022      CW   8pm        

S01.E07: Three's Company

SECOND THOUGHTS – Abigail (Jewel Staite) and Daniel (Zach Smadu) represent Bailey, a soon-to-be-starving-again artist who was once the unicorn (third) in a polyamorous relationship. Bailey believes he is owed spousal support for taking care of the home while Crystal Steele (guest star Lynda Boyd), one of his former partners, built her empire as a notorious right-wing personality. Crystal will not acknowledge the relationship. And when a verbal spar prompts Abigail to behave unethically, Crystal retaliates by unleashing her alt-right trolls onto Bailey and the firm. Harry (Victor Garber) is not amused. During the crisis that ensues, Daniel regrets dumping Danielle (guest star Yvonne Chapman) and tries to reach out. And after Abby gets doxxed, Frank (guest star Luke Camilleri) and the kids are forced to stay with her at her mother’s place – prompting Frank and Abby to draw closer.

Premiere Date: November 13, 2022      CW   8pm        
Next New Episode: November 27, 2022      

Edited by AnimeMania
On 11/13/2022 at 8:18 PM, AnimeMania said:

S01.E07: Three's Company

SECOND THOUGHTS – Abigail (Jewel Staite) and Daniel (Zach Smadu) represent Bailey, a soon-to-be-starving-again artist who was once the unicorn (third) in a polyamorous relationship. Bailey believes he is owed spousal support for taking care of the home while Crystal Steele (guest star Lynda Boyd), one of his former partners, built her empire as a notorious right-wing personality. Crystal will not acknowledge the relationship. And when a verbal spar prompts Abigail to behave unethically, Crystal retaliates by unleashing her alt-right trolls onto Bailey and the firm. Harry (Victor Garber) is not amused. During the crisis that ensues, Daniel regrets dumping Danielle (guest star Yvonne Chapman) and tries to reach out. And after Abby gets doxxed, Frank (guest star Luke Camilleri) and the kids are forced to stay with her at her mother’s place – prompting Frank and Abby to draw closer.

Premiere Date: November 13, 2022      CW   8pm        
Next New Episode: November 27, 2022      

Any idea when the season finale is in the US? Having only 10 episodes suggests it is Dec 11 unless there are further breaks

S01.E08: Truthiness

BEST LAID PLANS - Abigail (Jewel Staite) is in over her head when she agrees to defend her friend Elaine, who turns out to be an anti-vaxxer. Elaine’s ex-husband refuses to allow their daughter to fly to Germany without first being vaccinated. As Abigail finds a way to challenge this (perfectly reasonable) request, she wonders if her loyalty to a friend is putting Elaine’s daughter at risk. Even worse, Daniel (Zach Smadu) is no help on the case. He is still bitter that Harry (Victor Garber) rejected his partnership proposal and has completely checked out. Meanwhile, Nico (guest star Brenden Sunderland) gets suspended for forgery, forcing Abby and Frank (guest star Luke Camilleri “The Magician”) to reconsider their parenting plan, and Lucy (Genelle Williams) considers confessing to Maggie (guest star Ali Liebert, “One Of Us Is Lying”) about her affair.

Premiere Date: November 27, 2022      CW   8pm        

S01.E09: Blame It on the Mother

HOPE - Abigail (Jewel Staite, “Firefly,” “The L.A. Complex”) and Daniel (Zach Smadu, “Cardinal”) represent Trish and Kim, two sisters who are being sued by their estranged mother for parental support. To win their case, the lawyers must prove that Trish and Kim’s estrangement from their mother is due to her emotional abuse. Surprisingly, Abigail finds herself identifying with their imperfect mother because she has been such an imperfect one herself. Meanwhile, Daniel debates leaving Svensson for a rival firm; Lucy (Genelle Williams, “The Expanse”) is melancholic as her deceased mother’s birthday approaches; and Harry (Victor Garber, “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” “Alias”) goes viral after making a public gaffe that is #problematic. And Abigail is hopeful when Frank (guest star Luke Camilleri “The Magician”) agrees to adjust both their custody arrangement, and their living situation.

Premiere Date: December 4, 2022      CW   8pm  

Next Week is the Season Finale.     

S01.E10: Legacy

SEASON FINALE - When Svensson and Associates’ receptionist Nina (guest star Kelli Ogmundson) discovers she is not her father’s biological daughter, Abigail (Jewel Staite, “Firefly,” “The L.A. Complex”) builds a case against the fertility clinic where Nina was conceived. Synopsis: After Nina discovers she is not her father’s biological daughter, Abigail traces a history of malpractice at the fertility clinic where Nina was conceived. Abigail predicts a huge civil claim case, which means lots of capital for the firm — but she tells Harry (Victor Garber, “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” “Alias”) she will only work on the case with Daniel (Zach Smadu, “Cardinal”), who is leaving. Meanwhile, Lucy (Genelle Williams, “The Expanse”) is fully committing to parenthood as Maggie (guest star Ali Liebert, “One Of Us Is Lying”) embarks on in-vitro, and Harry weighs an exciting new relationship against the prospect of losing his kids. Abigail prepares to move back home with Frank (guest star Luke Camilleri “The Magician”) and the kids, but is Frank having second thoughts?

Premiere Date: December 11, 2022      CW     8pm        

Harry seems like such an asshole. Am I supposed to be at all sympathetic to his complaints? 

Not really sympathetic to Lucy's problem, either. She not only had an affair, but she lied about it while pretending to come clean. And she doesn't seem to want to be with her wife anyway, so why is she so upset? She didn't seem to want the kid, either, and seemed to only go for it out of guilt or fear or something.

I get why the doctor in this episode was extremely wrong. But I thought it was weird that the daughter thought her dad might reject her. 

Abigails husband is a creep. Also, it seemed pretty out of character that he'd forget his son might see those texts when he gave him the phone. I thought he was a slicker operator than that. So, double creepy plus a slob.

• Like 1
On 11/6/2022 at 6:27 PM, AnimeMania said:

S01.E06: Baby Off Board

DECISIONS – The lawyers are bewildered when a young couple begs them to reverse an adoption after learning about the baby’s serious health issues. Abigail (Jewel Staite) determines that the father, Ajay, is driving the decision, and convinces the mother, Jane to fight to keep the baby. Meanwhile, Daniel (Zach Smadu) makes his case for Harry (Victor Garber) to promote him to partner, after breaking it off with Danielle. Lucy (Genelle Williams) and Maggie’s (guest star Ali Liebert) differences over starting a family come to a head while Abigail and Frank (guest star Luke Camilleri) have to deal with their own parenting issues when Sofia (guest star Eden Summer Gilmore) is caught making out with a boy Abby calls “Charles Manson kid.”

Premiere Date: November 6, 2022      CW   8pm        

My cable had problems when I recorded this so I didn’t see how things were resolved with the baby. How was that case resolved?

This show has grown on me.  The final episode of Season one certainly has left us with cliff hangers - except that Daniel has gotten custody of the dog and a partnership.  Not a bad ending for him.

I hope Season 2 (and 3) will get picked up in the U.S. so we can have some answers to the cliffhangers.   I hope Abby and Maggie reconcile.  Why did Frank cheat on Abigail when she was about to move back in with him and the kids?    Harry is a jerk.  It's hard to see what makes him a successful family law lawyer, when he is a so  pitiful with relationships.  Hope to see more of the office manager and her partner. 

11 hours ago, buckboard said:

I hope Season 2 (and 3) will get picked up in the U.S. so we can have some answers to the cliffhangers. 

I hope so, too. I really enjoy the show. Unfortunately, with the changes to CW, I worry that it will become another axed scripted show. 🤞

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1

Ms Lark, they're saying that it might be back on CW because 1) it's less expensive to buy the Canadian show than an original CW production and 2) the new owners might be going after an older audience.  Also, it would help if they had a better time slot.  This year they were opposite NFL football.

• Love 1
On 12/14/2022 at 3:27 AM, AnimeMania said:

Also Season 2 is completely finished and ready to air, all they would have to do is agree on a price and they could start airing it immediately.

Season 3 is complete as well.

I am frustrated that this is a Canadian tv show and Canada has not been able to seen either 2 or 3 but it's been streamed elsewhere.

Global is now saying "Season 2 coming soon"

Screw you Global. Screw you.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1