Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
statsgirl

Family Law (2021)

follows a group of flawed family members who reluctantly work together at their father's law firm in downtown Vancouver.

Starring Victor Garber,Jewel Staite, Zach Smadu, and Genelle Williams.

Episode 1.1 Sins of The Father

After an embarrassing alcoholic incident on her past, Abigail Bianchi returns to law as part of her fathers firm and is thrown in at the deep end, in the midst of family drama and extended family dynamics.  September 17, 2021

• Like 2

It was a good premiere episode.  The cast is good.

I was hoping Craig the dog was going to end up staying with the firm.

Did the siblings already know about each other?

Edited by Trey
  • Like 2

I'd watch Jewel Staite read the phone book so it was great to see her here. And while Kaylee was a sweetheart, Abigail most certainly is not. She still comes across as likeable though.

This show is wonderfully Canadian! The glory shots of Vancouver were great. And yes, East Hastings is where you would go to meet someone sketchy.

Also great to see a Canadian artist getting the title song! Jeremy Fisher performed at a private concert for the company I work at and I have "Uh-Oh" saved on Spotify. The song works great with the show.

Abigail's tattoo had three names on it: Frannie, Sophia and Nico. I'm guessing there will be some tragedy that led to losing Frannie, hence the drinking.

As with all law shows, I see this one is clearly not a documentary and as such can benefit from an unrealistically quick turnaround time in legal matters so that we can have a dramatic trial over administrative issues.

• Like 3

I missed the first few minutes so did not realize they had made a point to say it's taking place in Vancouver. When Abigail mentioned East Hastings on the phone, I was like oh they're not trying to hide this. 😄

I enjoyed it. I don't think it's appointment television, but I'll catch it.

• Like 1

Maybe they didn't have a time slot to air it before they filmed the second season.  If that comment (which I read too) is correct.

It's being shown again tonight in case anyone missed it last night.

Well, I guess I am in minority. I dislike this premiere episode. The lead looks entitled and smug for someone whose profession is in jeopardy. And of course the legal angle is thoroughly crap. There is no way that the lawyer is allowed to give lecture during cross. And they do not even arguing the law. 

The courtroom scene (about the child support case) was amazing I liked how Abigail argued her case.

Brief interview with Jewel Staite. Abigail had never met her sister and brother before although they all knew of each other's existence. Because of Covid restrictions, all guest stars are Canadian actors. They were renewed for season 2 even before the first episode aired. She loves that it is unabashedly set in Vancouver.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:27 AM, dwmarch said:

I'd watch Jewel Staite read the phone book so it was great to see her here. And while Kaylee was a sweetheart, Abigail most certainly is not. She still comes across as likeable though.

I haven't seen her play bitchy since she was a teenager on Da Vinci's Inquest so it was fun seeing her here.  I don't like Abigail yet but there is a lot of room for her to grow. I do like how the relationship that she has with her ex is being written, neither is the bad guy there..

From the promos, I thought that Victor Garber was going to be the lead on the show but it looks like she is.

• Like 3

On 9/18/2021 at 12:26 PM, statsgirl said:

Brief interview with Jewel Staite. Abigail had never met her sister and brother before although they all knew of each other's existence. Because of Covid restrictions, all guest stars are Canadian actors.

It took me a moment, but the husband arguing over custody of the dog is none other than Hank from Corner Gas. You don't get more Canadian than that show. 

• Laugh 3