Type keyword(s) to search

McDonald & Dodds - General Discussion

Daff
  • Start Topic

This is billed as “Suspense” (Britbox), but it’s just a cop show.  Ambitious millennial, DCI McDonald (Tala Gouveia) is saddled with a near-retirement plodder, DSgt. Dodds (Jason Watkins) solving murder cases in Bath. Meanwhile, DSuper. Houseman (James Minay) frequently looms to remind the DCI she’d better be on board to rid his department of Dodds for good. A trio of young DCs round out the cast (with some considerable skill) and are all doubtful Dodds can even keep up, let alone solve anything. 

This is a quirky little one case per (hour and a half) episode “who dun it”, and plays like a police procedural, with plenty of comic moments. Season one consists of only two episodes, while Season two has three episodes. Season three is reportedly coming in 2022. 

• Like 2

I think the characterization and interplay between McDonald and Dodds is well done, but the actual scripting of the episodes, especially in the second season could be better. There's a fine line between slyly comic and cartoonish, which I don't think the show always gets right. I particularly didn't care for the episode with the French rugby player and the girls weekend.

• Love 1

I watched the third season episodes. I thought the first two were really good: kept me guessing with all the plot twists. #3 had a more serious tone: a serial killer with a connection to Dodds. It was OK but I was ahead of the detectives at one or two points. I'm looking forward to the next batch (why only three a year?!?).

• Like 2

I watched the first two episodes of the third season. Very glad that they switched Superintendents - and that this one seems to respect Dodds as opposed to wanting to have him retire. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I agree, LisaM, I liked her a lot better.  And I was really glad when she turned out to not cause problems and be respectful, because I read an article before the season started that implied she would cause problems between McDonald and Dodds and make McDonald rethink working with Dodds.

• Like 3
On 8/21/2022 at 10:50 PM, LisaM said:

I watched the first two episodes of the third season. Very glad that they switched Superintendents - and that this one seems to respect Dodds as opposed to wanting to have him retire. 

The only real order (or supervision) he ever gave was for McDonald to get rid of Dodds. He was a cardboard cutout of a DS, and I think he was only cast in the part as a pretty, familiar face. The new woman is much more involved and seems supportive of the team. I hope they’ll keep going. 

• Like 1

I’m really glad other people (a few, and it has taken a long time) on this forum like like this. 

On 9/22/2021 at 10:33 AM, AZChristian said:

We've enjoyed it as well.  Fun to see the know-it-all young boss come to the realization that an old fuddy-duddy still brings a lot to the table of investigation.

Watkins is an acquired taste (really got sick of that alligator in the sitcom he did) and Gouveia was panned mercilessly on IMDb for her performance here, but I think you hit the nail with your comment. They toned down her performance gradually, and although she still appears to be using Dodds for her “leg up”, I also believe she’s beginning to have some compassion and caring for him as well (shown in season 3). If they do another season, maybe we’ll see her pick up on more of his processes (but, to your point, he’s carrying around more general information in his little finger than she’ll ever have, even with the internet at her disposal). I’m hoping for McDonald, the penny will drop and she’ll learn how to think critically and use it. 

• Like 1