Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Life And Death

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Yep, almost that time again, another season starting. Here is the synopsis for the episode, airing September 26, 2021:

Officer Nolan and the entire team race against the clock to locate Lopez after she is kidnapped on her wedding day.

• Love 1

LAPD jurisdiction extends to Guatemala??? Rogue rule breaking cops are back!!!

Too bad that VoightUpton are in Chicago and on NBC... Otherwise, they could tag along and break more laws.

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I was surprised Jackson was killed off, but then I haven't been reading anything about the show.

I was glad La Fiera was killed, though as @paigow points out, we'll likely see the return of Sleepless in Guatemala City (tm Paigow)

I'm not sure why, but I enjoyed the gang pulling their guns on the spook in the helicopter.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6

I think there is definitely going to be some repercussions for Lopez and Westley. She’s never been thrilled with his family’s money and influence so she may not be happy he used it here even though it helped to save the life of her and their child. She’s also going to be upset when she finds out he’s into something dirty. She wouldn’t have wanted him to make those deals. This could end their relationship unless they somehow turn it around and he provides intel to the police and helps bring the guy he’s working for down. 
It was nice that Lopez named her son Jackson. I’m sad they killed him off, but you could tell last season that the writers didn’t know what to do with his character now the arc of the racist and abusive TO was over. It’s sad they had to lose an actor of color on the show. It also felt like they didn’t allow all of the characters to show grief over their fellow officer. Maybe that will be addressed in further episodes. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, paigow said:

or LAPD could have stayed for 20 years... 

Don't worry a lot of guys named Max are probably running around. I can see a reoccurring bit as the Mid Wilshire  crew meets many new Max's

1 hour ago, Msample said:

La Fiera’s security isn’t good. You’d think they’d search Wesley and find a freaking syringe?

I was thinking how could they leave the two alone, like all of the sudden they had labor shortages.

3 months later so finally off of the MASH like time extension. Last year they set themselves as July 2019. The other shows pulled back from COVID stuff so far in 2021 TV season but now they have dropped right into Los Angeles County's lockdowns.  I wonder if you will have the soap opera time jump to get away from a toddler, but in this case the 15 months for Nolan and Chen to qualify for P3 and other than basic patrol work.

I spent the first part of the episode thinking "We only saw that West was shot and piled into a trunk.  Yeah, it was a shot in the chest, but he could still be clinging to life, and be dramatically rescued.  He could still be alive!"  Then, what, about halfway through they talk about his odd actions in the surveillance video and how the coroner found blood under West's fingernail, so he managed to scratch his killer to gather DNA evidence to help in his murder investigation.

Welp.  He's dead.

I know it is all so very preposterous, but I loved the whole team going in all bad-ass to rescue Lopez.  And Nolan using his construction background to know how to weasel and flatter the mountainside bunker floor plans out of the architectural firm.  I also loved and cracked up at their cold, hard, faces in the helicopter when they all pulled their guns.  They had no more fucks to give, and it showed.

On a shallow note, Harper's wedding hair was gorgeous, and held up through the whole episode.

• Love 11

I'm just going to echo what others have said.

Apparently based on the show runners, the actor who played West, “What I can say is that Titus [Makin] was not coming back to the show,” Hawley told TVLine earlier this month, “so we needed to do the best that we could to honor the character who’s been so primally a part of the show.”  Whatever that means...  Frankly, I'd have preferred they get rid of Chen but that's probably just me.

As soon as Wesley made that deal, I saw family misery coming because Lopez is not going to be happy.

Glad they got rid of La Fierra because who wants that story-line dragged out but her tattooed guard is definitely/probably going to show up as I can't see her not wanting to get back at everyone.  And yes, what kind of security does a head drug honcho have that nobody searches some uninvited person coming in the compound?  I know TV/movies expect viewers to suspend a bit of disbelief but come on now...

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Hmmm. No Smitty.

Smitty is there for the ordinary cops and robbers not the A-Team  stuff.

44 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

I'm just going to echo what others have said.

Apparently based on the show runners, the actor who played West, “What I can say is that Titus [Makin] was not coming back to the show,” Hawley told TVLine earlier this month, “so we needed to do the best that we could to honor the character who’s been so primally a part of the show.”  Whatever that means...  Frankly, I'd have preferred they get rid of Chen but that's probably just me.

West was like the third officer that I saw shot and retired/killed on the premier week of this TV season. 

I never understand why police shows always have to do these big super-criminal stories.  I much prefer just seeing the cast solve regular crimes and meeting interesting people.  This show in particular is so good at doing light-hearted episodes, too, which have been some of the best ones they've done.  Let's get back to showing the daily routine of LAPD officers.

Anyone else find it ironic that Nolan was announced to now be a full-time cop, after having that 3 month addition to his rookie status due to going rogue, just as he, his boss, and all of his co-workers were about to go rogue?  Great lesson there, show!

• Love 17
6 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

She’s never been thrilled with his family’s money

I'm pretty suer the only person who wasn't thrilled about the money was Wesley himself, and Angela called him out about that saying he could do a lot of good with it.

• Love 2

Disappointed that Jackson was killed, but I'm glad the La Fiera storyline is over.  Now Lopez will have to deal with Wes's shady business relationships.  

Please NO Chen and Bradford hookup - EVER!

Usually this show is a light hearted drama, but when they want a powerful death scene, they know how to bring it.  Captain Anderson in S1 getting shot in the pool, La Fiera leaning against the chain link fence after being shot in this episode. 

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

I never understand why police shows always have to do these big super-criminal stories.  I much prefer just seeing the cast solve regular crimes and meeting interesting people.  This show in particular is so good at doing light-hearted episodes, too, which have been some of the best ones they've done.  Let's get back to showing the daily routine of LAPD officers.

I really disliked this episode.  Not because of anything that did or did not happen to any of the characters, but because all of a sudden a bunch of beat cops were acting like they were 00 agents, complete with equipment supplied by Q.   The part that really got me was Nolan's ability to grab the blueprints without breaking a sweat.   I mean.  Come.  On.  

• Love 14

Really strong premiere IMO despite the silly premise that they could storm a compound in a foreign country.  Bradford continues to be my favorite character.  Did anyone notice the picture of the dog he adopted next to his bed? Oh, bring on the Bradford and Chen romance! Took a while but I'm okay with it since the show seems to be going in that direction.   

I guess there was a lot of things happening behind the scenes involving the actor playing Jackson. Not sure we'll get the true story.  He couldn't even come back for the first episode.  His death was brutal and senseless.  

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Thomas Crown said:

I guess there was a lot of things happening behind the scenes involving the actor playing Jackson. Not sure we'll get the true story.  He couldn't even come back for the first episode.  His death was brutal and senseless.  

Also surprised we didn't see Daddy (Michael Beach) involved in the aftermath of West's murder.

• Love 8

Two things that aren’t quite believable:

(1) The rescue mission.

(2) La Fiera trying to replace her dead son with the baby of the person she thinks has betrayed her.

Nolan and his Mission Impossible inspired moments are 🙄🥱😵😴

Won’t be missing Jackson. With him gone, am guessing Lucy will be riding with Nolan.

Still 50-50 on Chenford, I like both characters individually.

Will Wesley and Angela be getting married anytime soon?

Welcome to the world baby Jackson!🎈

36 minutes ago, preeya said:

Also surprised we didn't see Daddy (Michael Beach) involved in the aftermath of West's murder.

About 45 minutes is all they got and then with the actual father appearing it cuts into the lines Sergeant Grey gave when not acting like Sergeant Voight of Chicago PD and actually arresting the suspect. when he talks about West being like a son

• Love 4

OK cop show episode.  Not a great Rookie episode.  I agree with the post above, that this show is better when dealing with day to day stuff, no Big Bad Guy overriding arc.  The appeal of this show, for me, is making use of Nathan Fillion's comedic talents.  This episode was waaaaay too serious, as was much of last season.  I don't like cop shows, and if this turns into a traditional one, it will lose me.

Now, what I could watch is a spinoff of endless Max's.  (Maxes?  Maxs?  How do you pluralize Max???)  With the head, reoccurring Max being Josh Malina.  I like snarky Josh.  This was a fun character for him. 

Wesley.  It would be ridiculous if among all these cops no one figured out that Wesley sold his soul to some shady ex-client to get the information on Angela.  How do they think he got that intel?  The most plausible storyline for Wesley is that he does one dirty deed, gets caught (on purpose) and gets disbarred.  He's rich.  He doesn't need the job.  It would make no difference to him or his life, and it gets him off the hook as he can't be a dirty lawyer without being a lawyer. 

West.  I'm surprised his death was kept so quiet up until this episode.  I didn't see anything about on any of the regular media sites.  I wonder what the B plot of this episode was supposed to be before they had to kill West off.

• Love 5

....what the hell was this episode?

So... none of those officers can risk going to central or south america, since they murdered a drug lord and so many of her cartel saw their faces and probably recognized them.

Can this show turn into one about the Maxes?

• Love 4

What made "The Rookie" interesting was its refreshing look at the daily police routine. 
Not the big cases or the  big drama. Not the serial killers that target police officers. Not having brave American police turned into Rambos and  invade 3rd world countries to save one of their own. Not the big conspiracies. 
There are other shows that do this already and they do it better.

It reminds me of "Castle", as long as it was light it was great. 
I wonder if this is something that has to do with Fillion, maybe he asks for more serious stories (which he cannot support, sorry Nathan I like you, but you can't act drama to save your life).
In any case I spent most of this episode laughing at it. It was like watching Hawaii 5-0, I kept expecting Mcgarrett to show up and save the day!
Hopefully they'll go back and focus  to those little everyday police stories in and around a city like LA that made this show stand out. 

• Love 9
22 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Glad they got rid of La Fierra

But did they? I am not sure she is dead, I won't be surprised if she and her sleepless goon visit LA again to avenge our beloved officers (and maybe kill any other actor who wants/has to exit the show )

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

I love Nolan's thought process in the orchard scene. "Well, I have a gun and a piece of wood, which should I use to attack the two trained killers? Gotta go piece of wood, right?"

Nolan was channeling his inner MacGyver, anti-gun pacifist --because the bad guys can easily bounce back from traumatic brain injury caused by a beating with a club.
   Note: I've never held a gun that fired more than a small stream of water on a hot summer day.

• Love 2
On 9/27/2021 at 8:29 AM, Angeleyes said:

I’m sad they killed him off, but you could tell last season that the writers didn’t know what to do with his character now the arc of the racist and abusive TO was over. 

I'd argue they never really knew what to do with Jackson, but it was particularly acute last season. 

On 9/27/2021 at 12:14 PM, milkyaqua said:

Not just you. Never been a Chen fan.  Too whiny.  It's why I never cared about Bradford/Chen.  Bradford would seem to benefit from someone who is self-reliant, confident, and not easily intimidated.  If there needs to be a pairing, Harper makes more sense.  But we all know that ain't happening. 

It would be interesting to rotate rookies while keeping the seasoned TOs and Grey, but that ship sailed long ago. 

4 hours ago, Zaffy said:

I wonder if this is something that has to do with Fillion, maybe he asks for more serious stories (which he cannot support, sorry Nathan I like you, but you can't act drama to save your life).

Agreed. 

On 9/27/2021 at 1:01 PM, Gregg247 said:

Anyone else find it ironic that Nolan was announced to now be a full-time cop, after having that 3 month addition to his rookie status due to going rogue, just as he, his boss, and all of his co-workers were about to go rogue?  Great lesson there, show!

Right?  But I knew that would never last.  I remember calling this in the first episode of season 3:

Nolan is the lead and "moral center" of the show.  There will never be a time when there are lasting consequences to his actions. [...] Even Sgt Grey's speech about Nolan's reprimand and no future beyond patrol officer will be rendered moot when the writers decide it's promotion time for Nolan. It is what it is.                 

Still, that couldn't have waited for episode 2? 

Very blah. 

There was a blind item that Jackson’s actor was fired and didn’t leave voluntarily, but that hasn’t been confirmed that I saw. I do think by killing him they’ve painted themselves into a bit of a corner. How will they all move on from his death? This is now at least three from The Rookie class that have been killed. If it doesn’t have a big impact on Nolan and Chen, that would be weird. But at the same time, we don’t need to see scene after scene of them grieving. 

17 minutes ago, deaja said:

Very blah. 

There was a blind item that Jackson’s actor was fired and didn’t leave voluntarily, but that hasn’t been confirmed that I saw. I do think by killing him they’ve painted themselves into a bit of a corner. How will they all move on from his death? This is now at least three from The Rookie class that have been killed. If it doesn’t have a big impact on Nolan and Chen, that would be weird. But at the same time, we don’t need to see scene after scene of them grieving. 

What was Nolan's first TO name again?

With major once in the history of a real life department shootouts happening every week The Rookie is old school TV and it is only on the very special episode that any impact of emotional trauma is shown. Beyond Lucy hugging Tim and the grave side closing scene I doubt if much about West comes up again.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Zaffy said:

But did they? I am not sure she is dead, I won't be surprised if she and her sleepless goon visit LA again to avenge our beloved officers (and maybe kill any other actor who wants/has to exit the show )

They showed her on the fence with the dead-eye look, so I'm pretty sure she's dead.  Now the sleepless goon was not shown to be dead, so it's entirely possible that she'll come back gunning for revenge.

4 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Not just you. Never been a Chen fan.  Too whiny.  It's why I never cared about Bradford/Chen.  Bradford would seem to benefit from someone who is self-reliant, confident, and not easily intimidated.  If there needs to be a pairing, Harper makes more sense.  But we all know that ain't happening.  

I don't have much of a problem with Chen.  I do have a problem with her and Bradford for a few reasons.  One, I HATE the trope that partners have to fall in love.  Second, it makes Chen kinda skeevy to me, first having an affair with Nolan, then Bradford.

22 minutes ago, Raja said:

Beyond Lucy hugging Tim and the grave side closing scene I doubt if much about West comes up again.

Of course it won't.  It never does.  Very few procedural type shows actually reference dead characters.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, madmax said:

I do have a problem with her and Bradford for a few reasons.  One, I HATE the trope that partners have to fall in love.  Second, it makes Chen kinda skeevy to me, first having an affair with Nolan, then Bradford.

For me the issue is that if they go there with Chen/Bradford, will it be permanent? Because if it comes to an end, it will have a detrimental effect on the on-going dynamic of the characters in the series. I definitely don't ant them shipping these two, if it will spoil the show.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

For me the issue is that if they go there with Chen/Bradford, will it be permanent? Because if it comes to an end, it will have a detrimental effect on the on-going dynamic of the characters in the series. I definitely don't ant them shipping these two, if it will spoil the show.

I hate a supervisor having a relationship with his student PERIOD, but my issue is that you could EASILY not ship the two, but what you CAN'T do is to do this, like, "everything short of fucking" stuff repeatedly. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Raja said:

What was Nolan's first TO name again?

With major once in the history of a real life department shootouts happening every week The Rookie is old school TV and it is only on the very special episode that any impact of emotional trauma is shown. Beyond Lucy hugging Tim and the grave side closing scene I doubt if much about West comes up again.

uhhhhhh I think the first TO was named... Bishop? Don't remember her first name, though.

I would really like to see an affectionate, platonic, supportive professional relationship between Chen and Bradford.   Maybe even friendship.  Like real life, in any occupation, where a trainee and a mentor pass beyond the training phase and into the mutual respect and workday life phase.  I've seen this and experienced this over and over in my real life--which is engineering, not law enforcement.  But a job is a job.

The TV and movie trope is men and women can't have a professional and  platonic yet friendly relationship on the job.  Somewhere, with someone, there must be sexual tension.  In real life.....not so much 

• Love 7