Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Mayday

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Updated episode description: The fake-out capsized boat situation is quickly wrapped up with minimal fallout. You Got This Stella Kidd whines a bunch and tries to emotionally guilt someone out of accepting major career success. Four of the eleven main characters in the 51 “family” have sex a bunch, while two others can't admit they wish they were having sex a bunch. Casey is more Squad than Squad.

I can’t be so optimistic as to think Kidd will actually leave the show, although the set-up seems to be there in a way that feels different than when others have (temporarily) left 51. It’s not even that I don’t like Kidd; I really, really don’t like Kidd with Severide, hanging off Severide in Cruz’s hospital room, dangling from his arm at a scene, etc. They’ve been an unprofessional PDAfest since season 8, and I can’t imagine the disaster it would be if Kidd became a lieutenant at 51 while Severide was there. She can’t seem to focus with him anywhere near her on a call. Go Get This somewhere else, Stella Kidd.

Did they imply that Battalion 25 has merged with another battalion, and that’s why their new BC is out of House 91? If so, it will be interesting to see if the writers actually let Casey do his job as a firehouse captain, and then how others react to that (especially Severide).

Pretty sure I recognized two of the locations from earlier seasons - the Queen call and the building fire at the end.

Kinda boring for a season opener, but that's par the course. I wish they'd end a season with a set-up like the 7x2 Carbide Building skyscraper fire and let the scenario play out longer. I'd rather have some prolonged tension and technical rescue stuff than unsatisfying quickies (to be crude about it).

• Love 3

Disappointing episode.  The resolution of last season's cliffhanger was ridiculously fast.  I agree with Dovegrey.  There's entirely too much PDA in the workplace.  I spent decades in the corporate business world (which I know is different than a fire house) but acting professional works in every environment.   This isn't high school.

• Love 8

Since Station 19's BC will be covering them, it only seems appropriate that the crew engage in ever more absurd tactics on a fire.  Yes, let's ventilate the roof before getting water on the fire.  Let's plant the ladder 20' away from the victim instead of rotating it up next to him.  And by all means, let's walk on a compromised roof.  At least the Slammigan got a cameo. 

Oh, and there's only 40 or so microbreweries in the Chicago area.  No competition at all for a startup.  Ask Hermann about his health water scheme.

• Love 8
On 9/22/2021 at 9:38 PM, dovegrey said:

It’s not even that I don’t like Kidd; I really, really don’t like Kidd with Severide, hanging off Severide in Cruz’s hospital room, dangling from his arm at a scene, etc. They’ve been an unprofessional PDAfest since season 8, and I can’t imagine the disaster it would be if Kidd became a lieutenant at 51 while Severide was there. She can’t seem to focus with him anywhere near her on a call. Go Get This somewhere else, Stella Kidd.

Couldn't be said any better. Stella has become a joke since being put with Severide. All of these PDAs are making a mockery of the CFD, which is prided for its professionalism. And it's an embarrassment to female first responders who are self-assured and don't need a man to pump them up.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, AnnA said:

Disappointing episode.  The resolution of last season's cliffhanger was ridiculously fast.  I agree with Dovegrey.  There's entirely too much PDA in the workplace.  I spent decades in the corporate business world (which I know is different than a fire house) but acting professional works in every environment.   This isn't high school.

And with this being a Dick Wolf show, it's especially jarring. It's sad that he's let his Chicago franchises devolve into this.

• Love 2

Kidd was very out of line when she told Boden that he can't leave the house. At least she apologized later, but she never should have said it to begin with. That was a horrible part of the storyline. I mean, really. 

I didn't mind her hugging Severide at the hospital - they were off duty, everyone in that room knows they are together, and Severide almost just died too. She was happy he is alive. The other times though, while they are one the job, I agree. Tone it down. 

I would have liked them to elaborate on how Severide was affected too. Capp said he took a great risk, and I'm sure he did, but he came up and got himself into the boat and caught his breath and seemed... fine. We needed more details on that. 

I think Joe's story will continue, I don't think it's completely wrapped up to be forgotten about now. But, this show does seem to do that, so I guess we'll see. 

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I didn't mind her hugging Severide at the hospital - they were off duty, everyone in that room knows they are together, and Severide almost just died too. She was happy he is alive. The other times though, while they are one the job, I agree. Tone it down. 

I would have liked them to elaborate on how Severide was affected too. Capp said he took a great risk, and I'm sure he did, but he came up and got himself into the boat and caught his breath and seemed... fine. We needed more details on that.  

I miss the days when Casey wouldn’t let Gabby hug him at the hospital even after he got t-boned in the face by another fire truck. And when he told her to get to work after he nearly died in the acid spill/exploding building. Neither Severide or Kidd have that sense for boundary. And it really bugged me that Kidd got on the radio twice and demanded Casey give a status update as he was doing CPR and they could all see him doing CPR. One of them needs to leave 51 and the writers need stop writing all this as appropriate. Even the more acceptable scenes are tainted; I have no more good faith to give them. 

I read it as Cruz was supposed to be thankful that Severide went back to save him. What a guy. 

• Love 6
On 9/23/2021 at 3:11 AM, Dowel Jones said:

Since Station 19's BC will be covering them, it only seems appropriate that the crew engage in ever more absurd tactics on a fire.  Yes, let's ventilate the roof before getting water on the fire.  Let's plant the ladder 20' away from the victim instead of rotating it up next to him.  And by all means, let's walk on a compromised roof.  At least the Slammigan got a cameo. 

Oh ghods yes. All of this. Especially the roof rescue. Was Mouch too lazy to swing the stick? That's, what, a 100' rear-mount, and a four story building. Still more than enough ladder.

Ritter was told to take the hydrant, so....then what? Did he take it and walk home with it or something? Because the Waterless Fire Department was at it again. Imagine being the nozzleman, backup, or engineer on E51. You never have to do anything beside show up. Safest job in the department!

Why would the BC out of 19 (is it still rat-infested these days?) take over all of a sudden? E51 and T81 are still in the 25 Battalion. They'd just need to bring in a new BC onto the show. But since Walker isn't going anywhere this season—I hope—then either they relocate the 25 elsewhere or St. Stella gets her wish and Boden commits career suicide by turning down DDC. I'm guessing in Chicago parlance a DDC is the equivalent of a Division Chief (next level of command up from BC)? The issue with Boden being DDC from the point of view of the show is that he wouldn't, or shouldn't, be responding to simple calls like he does now...so what does he do on the show?

The problem still remains of how do they keep Kidd on the show when her number comes up for promotion unless Herman puts in his papers (or they kill him off mid-season, etc). And if they did, what would she even do on Engine, since they don't seem to actually do Engine stuff.

How did they manage to get the proposed candle scent of "crispy critter" past standards-and-practices? wowzah. That's some wonderfully dark shit there. I LOLd.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 1

You Got This Stella Kidd whines a bunch and tries to emotionally guilt someone out of accepting major career success. 

I was just waiting for Boden to tell everyone he decided not to take the promotion after all, and I would have been furious if he did that because that selfish bitch Stella told him he couldn't leave. Boy am I sick of her.

I'm torn about Cruz. I really thought for a minute there they were going to kill him off, and I would have been really disappointed because he's one of my few remaining favorite characters. On the other hand there was virtually no consequence to the big cliff-hanger from last season's finale so that was kind of a letdown. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm torn about Cruz. I really thought for a minute there they were going to kill him off, and I would have been really disappointed because he's one of my few remaining favorite characters. On the other hand there was virtually no consequence to the big cliff-hanger from last season's finale so that was kind of a letdown. 

I'd have been good about killing Cruz off as well, but if they do, it needs to be in a fire since he let someone burn up in a fire season 1, IIRC (a scumbag who definitely deserved a TV-death if ever there was one, but still). It would be fitting and appropriate IMHO. Plus it would really amp up the drama of his fiancée and sprog, seeing the firehouse react and take action on that front, etc.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Kidd was a jerk, but what else is new.

I thought for sure someone was going to go toes up and drowned, glad I was wrong. 

Cruz is looking more and more out of shape as the seasons go by.

Gallo and Violet need to grow up.  I can't stand their childishness.

That's why these cliffhangers are basically meaningless. If you're going to have cliffhanger, make it count. Last season's cliffhanger and the one at the end of Season 5 ,I believe, would have meant much more had somebody bought it. But the writers continue to just be content with making this a feel good show, and just have drama for the sake of drama with no consequences on the story. I'm sure Cruz nearly dying will be forgotten about by the third episode.

And it can't be hoped that Gallo and Violet will grow up because the writers won't allow it. Their childish banter stopped being funny a long time ago. But sticking with the feel good theme, they can't act like adults.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, WinJet0819 said:

That's why these cliffhangers are basically meaningless. If you're going to have cliffhanger, make it count. Last season's cliffhanger and the one at the end of Season 5 ,I believe, would have meant much more had somebody bought it. But the writers continue to just be content with making this a feel good show, and just have drama for the sake of drama with consequences on the story. I'm sure Cruz nearly dying will be forgotten about by the third episode.

And it can't be hoped that Gallo and Violet will grow up because the writers won't allow it. Their childish banter stopped being funny a long time ago. But sticking with the feel good theme, they can't act like adults.

I agree. The season 5 finale and then the atrocious season 6 opener was when I stopped taking this show anywhere near seriously. The showrunner showed his mettle then. And I don’t understand people on social media who say they can’t handle these cliffhangers and worry all summer. About what? Rarely does anything ever happen. I still don’t know why they haven’t randomly killed someone off in a random episode, sort of like Borelli; the typical cliffhangers are silly and boring.

When Violet came back in season 9, she was good and they dropped the one-upping banter that was so annoying in season 8. Here we are again. Character development, what’s that. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

That's why these cliffhangers are basically meaningless. If you're going to have cliffhanger, make it count. Last season's cliffhanger and the one at the end of Season 5 ,I believe, would have meant much more had somebody bought it. But the writers continue to just be content with making this a feel good show, and just have drama for the sake of drama with no consequences on the story. I'm sure Cruz nearly dying will be forgotten about by the third episode.

I knew this ‘cliffhanger’ would end the same as the rest…absolutely nothing.  No drama or suspense. Just a big, fat, nothing. Kidd telling Biden he can’t go was just bad writing. She had no right…and she’s assuming she will be gone as soon as the first lieutenant job is open.  Oh really?  How long did Hermann have to wait?  They need some new writers…this is a good show, but their writers seem burned out like some ‘crispy critters’.  

• Love 1
11 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Why would the BC out of 19 (is it still rat-infested these days?) take over all of a sudden? E51 and T81 are still in the 25 Battalion. They'd just need to bring in a new BC onto the show. But since Walker isn't going anywhere this season—I hope—then either they relocate the 25 elsewhere or St. Stella gets her wish and Boden commits career suicide by turning down DDC. I'm guessing in Chicago parlance a DDC is the equivalent of a Division Chief (next level of command up from BC)? The issue with Boden being DDC from the point of view of the show is that he wouldn't, or shouldn't, be responding to simple calls like he does now...so what does he do on the show?

The problem still remains of how do they keep Kidd on the show when her number comes up for promotion unless Herman puts in his papers (or they kill him off mid-season, etc). And if they did, what would she even do on Engine, since they don't seem to actually do Engine stuff.

Something Cruz (I think) said about Boden having more houses to cover as DDC makes me think the writers are going to treat DDC as what a real CFD batt chief would be doing. As batt chief, Boden has been doing the duties of a firehouse captain - running briefings at 51, handling personnel issues, managing daily activities at 51. He always should have been covering multiple houses and leaving the day to day stuff at 51 to Casey (since season 6 at the least). I wonder if they will only NOW write Boden as covering multiple houses, even though a real DDC would be overseeing multiple batt chiefs, and that’s how he stays relevant on the show.

I think Kidd is actually leaving. Probably wishful thinking. If not, I think Casey will ultimately become batt chief of 25 and Kidd will become the officer of Truck 81. It’s interesting to me that we haven’t seen the annual two month time skip yet; it was only two weeks between the boat flop and Cruz returning to work. Something is up with that. And episode 200 is coming up soon… (no spoilers, just speculation)

• Love 3
12 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

That's why these cliffhangers are basically meaningless. If you're going to have cliffhanger, make it count.

Well the screaming tweenage nitwits on Social media just can't live if they don't know their faves are still breathing...they can't eat, sleep, go to school without melting down randomly about the fate of some fictional character so they spend their days hunting down filming locations to post spoiler photos of X, Y, & Z on set so I guess the writers, show runners & networks just don't bother anymore & we get phoned in scripts like this mess & the 3 minute 'will Burgess survive' resolution on PD.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 9/24/2021 at 9:49 PM, dovegrey said:

I think Casey will ultimately become batt chief of 25 and Kidd will become the officer of Truck 81. 

I never thought of that. This would make the most sense if nobody's being written off the show this season. DDC position moves to 51's quarters, Matt becomes BC, Boden keeps his promotion, and E51 continues to not put water on fire. All good <g>. DDC's position should also come with a driver; even BCs have drivers in many FDs.

• Love 2
On 9/24/2021 at 1:53 PM, icemiser69 said:

Doesn't he have at least eight series on the air now?  Three FBI series, three Chicago series, and two Law & Order series.  It has to be difficult keeping an eye on the writing for that many series.

True, but remember, he's the one that has encouraged some of his NBC shows to crossover with the CBS shows. And most decisions should still run through him, so he should know. And at the very least, he should notice how much different the Chicago shows have become compared to his other shows. SVU isn't about feel-good stories. The FBI series aren't trying to push relationships, and sacrificing authenticity. It's only with the Chicago shows that the quality has devolved into a soap opera type atmosphere.

Even his former shows, like Homicide: Life on the Street & NY Undercover weren't this bad.

• Love 2
On 9/28/2021 at 10:17 AM, SnarkySheep said:

I love how Kidd was like, I'm outta here too as soon as a lieutenant slot opens! Like it was a sure thing she'd be chosen for it...like Herrmann hasn't been qualified but waiting for way longer than her, etc.

Herrmann is the Lieutenant of the Engine truck. He's not still waiting for an assignment. Sorry if you knew that, I couldn't quite tell how to read your post. (Casey is a Captain but still covers Truck, and Severide is the Lt. for Squad.)  I agree that Casey should just be promoted to Battalion Chief, then no one has to leave... wrapped up all pretty with a bow.

Though I did have another, slightly related, thought: what if Capp's comment is foreshadowing a secondary drowning for one of the characters? That happens to children, can it happen to adults? Maybe Severide and Cruz aren't out of the woods yet. 

Also, maybe the end of last season was written to go either way.  Taylor Kinney was a holdout on his contract so maybe they could have written him out if he didn't renew. Maybe he didn't renew and Severide could still die. 🤔  

I guess we'll see. 

Edited by FnkyChkn34
fixed typo
  • Love 3
On 9/28/2021 at 4:43 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:
On 9/28/2021 at 10:17 AM, SnarkySheep said:

I love how Kidd was like, I'm outta here too as soon as a lieutenant slot opens! Like it was a sure thing she'd be chosen for it...like Herrmann hasn't been qualified but waiting for way longer than her, etc.

Herrmann is the Lieutenant of the Engine truck. He's not still waiting for an assignment. Sorry if you knew that, I couldn't quite tell how to read your post. (Casey is a Captain but still covers Truck, and Severide is the Lt. for Squad.) 

I think the OP was referring to the fact that Hermann had to wait many years between passing the LT's exam to receiving first LT position. Kidd passed the exam but so have many others ahead of her, and she (likely) has a long wait ahead of her. Or should. There are more FFs who have passed their promotion exam than there are open slots for LTs, so when one retires, dies, or gets promoted, whoever's next on the list gets that open job.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I think the OP was referring to the fact that Hermann had to wait many years between passing the LT's exam to receiving first LT position. Kidd passed the exam but so have many others ahead of her, and she (likely) has a long wait ahead of her. Or should. There are more FFs who have passed their promotion exam than there are open slots for LTs, so when one retires, dies, or gets promoted, whoever's next on the list gets that open job.

That's the authentic route, but we all know how the show runner and writers feel about authenticity.

19 minutes ago, WinJet0819 said:

That's the authentic route, but we all know how the show runner and writers feel about authenticity.

Yep, and of course if you have an actor in a leading role you can't very well move them out on a whim—which is also the Eamonn Walker conundrum on this show too. I'm good with a cast shakeup to a certain degree, but isn't that usually reserved for the winter finale, and the summer cliffhanger?

13 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Yep, and of course if you have an actor in a leading role you can't very well move them out on a whim—which is also the Eamonn Walker conundrum on this show too. I'm good with a cast shakeup to a certain degree, but isn't that usually reserved for the winter finale, and the summer cliffhanger?

Episode 200 is three episodes away. The showrunner has said he wants it to be like a finale episode. I think the first five episodes are pacing differently for that (or the showrunner is full of it, like usual).

• Love 1