Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Fight For Love

• Start Topic

If somebody already brought to this question, I apologize because I missed it. But… What if the real reason that Ari brought Leandro to Ethiopia is that she is going to present him with divorce papers and make him sign them in front of them?  Of course it will be with her wailing and crying and telling him how much she loves him but she’ll still be holding out the paperwork with a pen.  I see this trip as a do or die moment for Ari and she’s going to either pick Bini (demand that he grows back his dreadlocks) and continue playing the part of the sad and helpless little rich girl or she’s going to pick Leandro and go back to the states.  But I think she doesn’t want to look like she did what her parents wanted her to do so she’s still going to pick Bini.    
I find her helplessness infuriating.

Edited by Colfrmb
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Colfrmb said:

@Xebug67, Thanks for posting that screenshot of Ari saying sweet things to Mimi.  Wait, she calls this person Tsion.  Is this Bini’s old gf or the housekeeper/paid companion - or are they the same person after all?  I’m so confused.  Also….    
- why does she not spell out and capitalize God?  For someone who is supposed to be a writer/blogger, I would expect more.   
- I also believe the paid companion is there to care for everybody.   
- I believe she has been doing Ari’s hair and makeup and picking out her clothes.   
- why doesn’t she say “we” love you and not “I” and she doesn’t mention Bini at all.   
- how many “best friends” can one person have.    
- please don’t call humans “silly”.  

You're welcome, colfrmb.  She's not the ex-girlfriend.  Can you just imagine if it was?  As it is Ari can't stand that he dances professionally with his ex, though she'd never admit it, wanting to be all "cool chick" and everything.

I'm just so curious about their both being called "Tsion".

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Colfrmb said:

- why does she not spell out and capitalize God?  For someone who is supposed to be a writer/blogger, I would expect more.   
- I also believe the paid companion is there to care for everybody.   
- I believe she has been doing Ari’s hair and makeup and picking out her clothes.   
- why doesn’t she say “we” love you and not “I” and she doesn’t mention Bini at all.   
- how many “best friends” can one person have.    
- please don’t call humans “silly”.  

Ari has the mentality of a tween.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Don’t you wonder how these people end up on these shows?  I guess most of them try to get on lots of reality shows so it’s no big surprise when one takes the bait and offers them a contract.  So I have to assume that they aren’t totally stupid, even though the show often portrays them as such.     
But I am really bothered by the complete lack of life skills that Ari seems to brag about and how she has everybody running scared.  She’s completely helpless and she’s making no attempts to improve herself - and she’s getting away with it!  How many times has she said she can’t make a bed and then we see Bini making the bed.  Remember he used to sleep on his sister’s couch and Ari has probably never slept on a couch in her life.  He smooths out the sheets and she just steps back and starts talking about something else.  She’s not even trying.  She never could do her own makeup.  Now that she has a companion/best friend#3, her makeup looks so much better except it’s still shocking to see the difference.  She can’t feed herself, let alone feed a baby.  I bet she stands back and let’s the nanny do that too.  She can’t support herself.  When we first met her, she announced to the world that she could not, and would not care for herself.  And here she is doing exactly that.  Maybe I’m jealous.  Maybe I’m scared that there are more people out there, who have zero life skills, out there reproducing.  I just can’t believe that Bini is the first guy she jumped in the sack with and had unprotected sex after flagging him down on a dusty 3rd world county road.  Wait, that’s where Leandro comes in.  Man, this girl’s luck amazes me.  I still worry for her kid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
46 minutes ago, Colfrmb said:

There's actually a real reason for this one. Jewish law prohibits erasing the name of God, so observant Jews don't write out the name anywhere it can be erased. I haven't seen the "writing" Ari did, but I'm assuming she had it as "g-d"--the standard way of doing it is "G-d."

As I recall, she considers herself a Jew, based on the Star of David she used to wear. It's funny she observes the "G-d" rule but seems to break all the others.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Colfrmb said:

But I am really bothered by the complete lack of life skills that Ari seems to brag about and how she has everybody running scared

Areola is the poster girl for Snowflake. And she proudly takes on the mantle.

Read my prior posts about how she’s turned her “fragility” (read emotional and psychological problems) into a weapon to make everyone else do her bidding while they are also forced into treating her with kid gloves.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Colfrmb said:

Don’t you wonder how these people end up on these shows?  I guess most of them try to get on lots of reality shows so it’s no big surprise when one takes the bait and offers them a contract.  So I have to assume that they aren’t totally stupid, even though the show often portrays them as such.

I often wonder how many of them have agents...working agents...reputable agents for all areas of SHOWBIZ.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Colfrmb said:

What if the real reason that Ari brought Leandro to Ethiopia is that she is going to present him with divorce papers and make him sign them in front of them?  

"With all due respect," (which I learned on Judge Judy and other educational programs),    is this today's JOKE-OF-THE-DAY?

4 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

I feel that beautiful blue eyes are the saving grace of many otherwise unattractive people.

Thank you!  My first baby was NOT CUTE AT ALL.  He was a sweet baby; he was a good baby, but he wasn't a good-looking baby.  I heard this comment often from strangers, "Oh! Oh, what blue eyes."   They were startling and beautiful.  By three years old he was really cute ... and grew into an average-looking middle-aged guy--with BLUE! eyes that are still complimented.

• Love 3

I was also going to explain the G-d as opposed to spelling out the full word. Most practicing Jews ( which Ari is NOT--- but she identifies as one ) would not write out the word.

If I remember correctly Ari's family was a blend and I think each child picked their religion. Her father I believe is Jewish, her mother is not. (It may have been discussed but in Judaism, a child born of a Jewish mother is considered Jewish). She also - remember- had her son baptized. Remember- she thought long and hard and then said oh well the priest can splash some water on him it means nothing.

Good question about what happened to her Star of David that she was always wearing?

Yeah you might have guessed I am not a fan of hers.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Polliwollidoodle said:

I was also going to explain the G-d as opposed to spelling out the full word. Most practicing Jews ( which Ari is NOT--- but she identifies as one ) would not write out the word.

If I remember correctly Ari's family was a blend and I think each child picked their religion. Her father I believe is Jewish, her mother is not. (It may have been discussed but in Judaism, a child born of a Jewish mother is considered Jewish). She also - remember- had her son baptized. Remember- she thought long and hard and then said oh well the priest can splash some water on him it means nothing.

Good question about what happened to her Star of David that she was always wearing?

Yeah you might have guessed I am not a fan of hers.

Yeah her mom is Catholic.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Polliwollidoodle said:

Her father I believe is Jewish, her mother is not. (It may have been discussed but in Judaism, a child born of a Jewish mother is considered Jewish).

I think her mother is Italian/Catholic. So Ari isn't automatically Jewish, because her mother isn't. For Ari to become "official," I believe she'd have to go through the conversion process. Not something I can see her doing, because laziness and entitlement.

The Star of David probably disappeared when she realized that being Jewish in Ethiopia isn't particularly exotic--there've been Ethiopian Jews for about 1,500 years. There's also plenty of anti-Semitism, so advertising might not be all that smart.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Polliwollidoodle said:

If I remember correctly Ari's family was a blend and I think each child picked their religion.

I might be mistaken; I thought that the other children “belonged” to Areola’s mother and her former husband and that Areola is the sole progeny of Areola’s mother and cardiologist father.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I might be mistaken; I thought that the other children “belonged” to Areola’s mother and her former husband and that Areola is the sole progeny of Areola’s mother and cardiologist father.

I think her dad is the one who has the kids (her half siblings).  Her mom was a younger nurse who had an affair with him and then Ari was their only child.  

• Useful 7
19 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

I think her dad is the one who has the kids (her half siblings).  Her mom was a younger nurse who had an affair with him and then Ari was their only child.  

Aha! Well, that would explain the helicopter parenting and snowflake treatment.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

He has four other kids by the first wife.

Good to know. I thought there were only two half-siblings. Guess the other two were too smart to be involved in this train wreck.

Any idea if Areola’s mother (Janice? Why can’t I remember her name?) and Dr. Areola were married when she got pregnant? I’m just curious because my cynical self loves a good history repeating itself narrative. Except Areola isn’t a nurse. And Bini is good for nothing not a doctor.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I think a woman who was Arie’s babysitter posted the family history on Reddit back during Arie’s first season.  I tried googling it just now but couldn’t find it.  I think her older half-siblings shunned her and that was part of the reason for the cutting.

I did learn while googling that she claims to have TMJ and some condition where she walks on the sides of her feet lol.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Holy moly you peeps are good! I had no idea. I do recall she had a sister named Kristen or something similar and I thought that it is highly ( more than highly ) unusual for a Jewish child to have that name. Then learning that the mom was Catholic, I thought it made a drop of sense more.

So now I learn she is the only offspring from this union?

• Useful 1
On 9/10/2021 at 10:15 PM, Frozendiva said:

Ellie, are you sure that you can even travel to Providencia a couple of days after it is recovering from a Cat. 5 hurricane?

I was in this position with a BF in the US Virgin Islands after a hurricane. No flights for a month.

• Love 3
On 9/15/2021 at 4:09 PM, Xebug67 said:

I never in a million, gazillion years would have known this was her. 

Ari's Instagram Photo.jpg

I don’t think this IS her. This girl is entirely too good looking. Ari’s eyes turn down in the outer corners and this girl has upturned “cat’s eyes.” I have noticed in her skinny talking heads she’s wearing false eyelashes that further accentuate her downturned eye shape. 

And I will repeat what I said last season about Ari’s “Jewishness”: I believe she wore the Star of David necklace to get attention and I’d bet my life savings that she had a huge Bat Mitzvah at the local Country Club. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, magemaud said:

I don’t think this IS her. Ari’s eyes turn down in the outer corners and this girl has upturned “cat’s eyes.” I have noticed in her skinny talking heads she’s wearing false eyelashes that further accentuate her downturned eye shape. 

And I will repeat what I said last season about Ari’s “Jewishness”: I believe she wore the Star of David necklace to get attention and I’d bet my life savings that she had a huge Bat Mitzvah at the local Country Club. 

Nothing wrong with a country club Bat Mitzvah, lol, G-d likes a good pig in a blanket too!

I think she might have gotten a little work done because her eyes most certainly did not look like that on the show or she has the most amazing makeup artist or is really good at photoshop.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Nothing wrong with a country club Bat Mitzvah, lol, G-d likes a good pig in a blanket too

That’s what Ari’s red sweater dress reminds me of!  And what’s with that mustard colored fuzzy monstrosity she wears when she goes out for coffee with Leandro with above the knee black socks or boots? She looks like some kind of bird 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 9/12/2021 at 12:44 PM, treeofdreams said:

Although, since Jenny seemed to get some benefit from the chanting session, a nice twist would be that she really, sincerely did convert. 

Yes.  Then realize that Summit has just been stringing her along and leave him!

• Love 1
On 9/18/2021 at 5:07 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I think she might have gotten a little work done because her eyes most certainly did not look like that on the show or she has the most amazing makeup artist or is really good at photoshop.

And here I was thinking that picture makes me think she was really bad at photoshop.

• LOL 4

Kenny needs to back off. I don't know what his problem is. Armando knows best how to handle his family. His dad is coming around, the family was happy and having a nice time. Armando knew that would not be the time to spring the marriage on them. It will happen, just chill, dude. I can't believe a grown 57 yr old man doesn't understand this. 

I also think there is something a little off with Kenny's family. It's not normal for all the crying. His daughter crying at the table like that, and crying in the car after being picked up at the airport. These are adults. Sure,  you miss your dad but their actions go beyond that. Did Kenny do everything for them when he was living in Florida? It seems so. 

• Love 9
On 9/16/2021 at 8:25 AM, Colfrmb said:

But I am really bothered by the complete lack of life skills that Ari seems to brag about and how she has everybody running scared.  She’s completely helpless and she’s making no attempts to improve herself - and she’s getting away with it!  How many times has she said she can’t make a bed and then we see Bini making the bed.  Remember he used to sleep on his sister’s couch and Ari has probably never slept on a couch in her life.  He smooths out the sheets and she just steps back and starts talking about something else.  She’s not even trying.  She never could do her own makeup.  Now that she has a companion/best friend#3, her makeup looks so much better except it’s still shocking to see the difference.  She can’t feed herself, let alone feed a baby.  I bet she stands back and let’s the nanny do that too.  She can’t support herself.  When we first met her, she announced to the world that she could not, and would not care for herself.  And here she is doing exactly that.  Maybe I’m jealous.  Maybe I’m scared that there are more people out there, who have zero life skills, out there reproducing.  I just can’t believe that Bini is the first guy she jumped in the sack with and had unprotected sex after flagging him down on a dusty 3rd world county road.  Wait, that’s where Leandro comes in.  Man, this girl’s luck amazes me.  I still worry for her kid.

And she accomplishes all of that with that ugly 😄mug of hers.  That's what REALLY AMAZES me. 

On 9/16/2021 at 9:15 AM, Auntie Anxiety said:

Which reminds me, what ever happened to that neon sign huge Star of David that she used to wear? Because she was such a committed Jew, I mean.

Bini acts more Jewish than Ari.  😀

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/16/2021 at 2:43 PM, Mondrianyone said:

I think her mother is Italian/Catholic. So Ari isn't automatically Jewish, because her mother isn't. For Ari to become "official," I believe she'd have to go through the conversion process. Not something I can see her doing, because laziness and entitlement.

The Star of David probably disappeared when she realized that being Jewish in Ethiopia isn't particularly exotic--there've been Ethiopian Jews for about 1,500 years. There's also plenty of anti-Semitism, so advertising might not be all that smart.

What you said was interesting, so I looked into it further and came across an article, 'Who is a Jew?:  Who Is a Jew: Patrilineal Descent", https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/patrilineal-descent/ that states, in part: 

"Who is a Jew?

Although the Hebrew Bible defines Jewish identity in patrilineal terms (determined by the identity of the father) the Mishnah states that the offspring of a Jewish mother and a non-Jewish father is recognized as a Jew, while the offspring of a non-Jewish mother and a Jewish father is considered a non-Jew. This talmudic position became normative in Jewish law.

But the 1983 resolution was not the first attempt to reconsider patrilineality. Already in the 19th century, many Reform rabbis quietly integrated the children of Jewish fathers and non-Jewish mothers into their religious schools and confirmed them into the Jewish faith along with their peer group in lieu of conversion. In 1947, the CCAR adopted a resolution that stated that if a Jewish father and a gentile mother wanted to raise their children as Jewish, “the declaration of the parents to raise them as Jews shall be deemed sufficient for conversion.”

On 9/16/2021 at 4:05 PM, MrBuhBye said:

I could have sworn in their first season that the brother and sister shown at the dinner table were the mother's children from a previous marriage, and that Ari was the only child of both Fred and Janice Weinberg, but I can't find any information that substantiates what may be a mistaken recollection of mine.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:47 PM, magemaud said:

I don’t think this IS her. This girl is entirely too good looking. Ari’s eyes turn down in the outer corners and this girl has upturned “cat’s eyes.” I have noticed in her skinny talking heads she’s wearing false eyelashes that further accentuate her downturned eye shape. 

Here is another photo of Ari wearing that same blouse.  Both photos are from her Instagram.  I agree that the heavily made up one is too attractive to actually be Ari, but perhaps someone did an amazing, magical makeup job on her?

With regards to her skinny talking heads, I'm aghast at how unfortunate looking she is in them - even worse than she appears on the actual show.  She seriously looks distorted, like her face and body were stretched vertically, elongating her.  And she has a ton of wrinkles on her forehead.  I always thought it was crazy how so many young women get Botox at their youthful ages.  Then I look at the talking heads of Ari's and think to myself, "She is the exception to the rule of younger women not needing Botox.  Ari DESPERATELY needs it."

I too agree that she likely had a VERY Jewish upbringing, which likely included an over-the-top Bat Mitzvah party.

• Love 2
On 9/14/2021 at 7:02 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Summit does not want to marry her, he will keep her around as long as it’s convenient and she was a good excuse to get out of his marriage. 

He will keep her around as long as her pittance of a social security check and TLC money pays for his life. The man does not want to work. 

• Love 7

I can totally relate to Alina realizing that this guy she thought she was in love with is a complete goof. When I was 18, I was convinced I was in love with my pen pal of 2 years, so I went to England to meet him. He was my first... everything. But he said/did some things while I was with him that absolutely mortified me.  I am unfortunately all-too familiar with the sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach that comes with the realization that you're embarrassed of your boyfriend.  And she seems to be a smart girl. She responded with perfect poise to his religious bullshit (and it is clearly bullshit because even he didn't follow it, but he's still trying to impose it on her.)  Those 2 are doomed if she keeps asking those smart questions about his dogma, because Mormons are not about answering questions about the plot-holes in their beliefs, nor are they about letting Mormons question the faith.

Edited by FrancescaFiore
I had to close a parenthesis or I'd get a twitch
  • Love 5

Joining in from the lurkers 😀

I’m not a Jenny fan but at least she seemed slightly skeptical at the solictor/lawyer regarding the missionary visa that didn’t require any work or conversion. However - no sympathy for her as she seems to be missing the key issue - Sumit/Summit/Sumeat/Sumee doesn’t want to marry her. There’s no solution that leaves both Jenny and his parents happy so rather than confronting this issue and either marrying her or telling her he won’t (his parents aren’t coming around) he’s going to muddle along. I’m a big believer in “no decision is actually a decision too” and that dishonestly in behaviour, even leaving out his previous form is...not good.

Ari and Bini - train wreck. Bini seems emotionally immature and Ari... look, I’d be useless in a totally different culture, environment and away from my support network! I just can’t get my head around how she seems to see herself as this cool, capable chick when she really isn’t. No shade on people who are still figuring it out (I include myself in that), my ire for her is that her choices are affecting other people, most of all baby Avi. Every time I start to feel a bit sorry for her she does something to make the rage come back - not being able to make the bed! Bra-gate! Putting Binis ex on the spot! “Forgetting” her ring!

Corey and Evelin - never got that invested in them. The fact they’re already married makes my head hurt. I would say I would have been unimpressed with the prom dress - when I was getting married we spent a lot (for us) because we had no dependents, wanted all our family and friends there and wanted to have a fancy honeymoon. Even then, we went through our budget and worked out where we would go mad(meal, honeymoon, our wedding outfits) and where we’d cut back   (Hen and stag nights, hired cars, plainer invites). I suppose if I liked them I’d handwave it as TLC footing the bill but I’m  biased against them. 

Steven and Alina - I actually like both of them! I just think they’re miles too young for this carry on. (Come back to me in a few weeks and I’ll probably have ranted against both of them). The catfish set up with Alina and Masha(?) cracked me up. TBC

Ellie and Victor - wwhhhyyy? Have your holiday fun. All I could think was that they wouldn’t let commercial flights land on the island if things where that bad and when I heard they were doing the last leg I thought alway right! I feel (armchair psychologist) that she’s a lot of unresolved feelings around her husbands death 

Edited by TVandWine
Ellie is not called Curly
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, FrancescaFiore said:

She responded with perfect poise to his religious bullshit (and it is clearly bullshit because even he didn't follow it, but he's still trying to impose it on her.)  Those 2 are doomed if she keeps asking those smart questions 

Agreed. I really like Alina and I thought her subject choices for uni study were super interesting.

Steven .. while I don’t think he’s a bad person (yet! - reserving right to change mind) he’s not on the same level as her from what we’ve seen. Either he’s less mature (almost  certainly and that’s grand he should take his time to grow out of it before starting a committed relationship) or he wants to follow a strict unquestioning doctrine (funny how so many of those seem to align with the best interests of the proponent)

• Love 3
On 9/11/2021 at 10:21 PM, MrBuhBye said:

Yeah Brittany went on The Single Life.  Yazan is on PT with the interpreter gently mocking her.

Thanks.  Whenever I randomly thought of this show, I was wondering if she had been murdered yet.  Girl was playing with fire and didn't seem to realize it.

• Love 3