Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Goodbye, Lucifer

paulvdb

I started crying at Lucifer and Maze's goodbye and the assault on my emotions continued all to way to Trixie and Dan's conversation. 

While this was very obviously a wrapping up episode with all the one-on-one heartfelt conversations, I treasured it. I think it was also useful to have the catharsis of this one with the various characters before one final episode that was

Spoiler

heavily Deckerstar-centric and gave us one last bit of action as the series drew to a close.

This also made me realize how invested I've also become in the other characters and relationships on the show. Overall, I found this to be a highly satisfying penultimate episode.

• Love 12

No way does Trixie not know the face of her father's killer. I loved the scene where Trixie helps Dan but that was BS. 

I love the Goodbyes (except the one that Trixie didn't get--- bullshit, he could have called.)

Everything about Lucifer/Chloe/Rory comes off as lame Deckerstar Happy Family Fanfiction. I just don't care about her because she's such an annoying trope instead of a character. 

• Love 14

Lucifer's parade of potential good-byes were great and well acted by everyone involved.  But the highlight for sure was the good-bye scene with Maze.  Both Tom Ellis and Lesley-Ann Brandt really excelled with the whole "never saying the thing out loud, but both clearly knew what was going on" act between the characters and really showing just how strong their bond is.

Dan finally gets some possession powers, but of course it ends up being to takeover the guy that actually killed him!  Found it very far-fetched that Trixie wouldn't have an idea about what her father's killer looked like (even if Chloe didn't want her to know, she seems like someone who would and would find other ways to do it), but I'm glad Dan got his final moment with her and that seems to be what finally allowed him to ascend to heaven.  Helped that they at least showed him in his normal form at the very end.  But now Vincent is sticking around as a possibly final baddie.  Rob Benedict certainly is no stranger to that after screwing around with the Winchester bros as Chuck/God on the final season of Supernatural! 

Looks like Amenadiel might become God after-all!  Certainly would be the most logical choice.

Cool that Kevin Alejandro got to direct this episode as well.

Off to see how this all plays out!

• Love 8

I really loved all the good-byes. The thing is even knowing about the prophecy Linda didn't seem to get Lucifer was saying a final good-bye. The ones with Ella and Maze were the sweetest. No one cries like Lesley-Ann, I was glad Eve didn't pop out and say ready to go. That moment was earned and so sweet.

On a comic note, loved that the end of the world was the other angels trying to pitch hit for an absent God and not being judicious in their answering of prayers. And the props to Rob Benedict from flipping from bad *ss mercenary to Dan and selling both. Of course the way Dan signals to Lucifer who is the call back to being bracelet bros.

Also it was fitting that what Dan felt guiltiest about was leaving Trixie behind. I'll handwave her not knowing Le Mec's face because Chloe probably kept her away from all of that, so while she knows what he looks like she wasn't sitting in a court room staring at him every day. Plus it was sweet that the key to heaven for Dan was his little girl's love for him.

• Love 11

I'm going to finish this today, so that I can stop crying. 

"Stranger danger!" Trixie cracked me up. I'm glad that she wasn't kidnapped - I was afraid they were going there, what with Dan possessing that guy's body. I'm also glad that he finally found his key to heaven, after getting to tell his daughter what he needed her to hear, and he also got to hear her defending him. 

Of course their other daughter was kidnapped. Even though she should also be able to take care of herself. I missed why her wings are the way they are - I'll have to look it up. 

On 9/11/2021 at 7:24 AM, Gigi43 said:

No way does Trixie not know the face of her father's killer. I loved the scene where Trixie helps Dan but that was BS. 

I love the Goodbyes (except the one that Trixie didn't get--- bullshit, he could have called.)

I thought this, too. She would have seen his face, and also: Lucifer should have spent time with her, too. She got to unknowingly spend time with her dad, but what about after that? 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

Lucifer holding his arms out for a hug from Maze, and her staring at him like, "What are you doing? We don't do that," was hilarious. And after all their beautiful careful words, I just kept saying to my TV, "Hug him, Maze, hug him, hug himmmmmmm."  :D  That whole scene between them was fantastic. The evolution of their relationship -- and of each of them as characters -- is one of my favorite things on the show. 

Dan seeing the light was so lovely, I actually got teary-eyed for him. I've had my issues with his early-seasons character, especially how he treated Chloe back then (knowing full well that he was responsible for a lot of what she was going through and the crap she had to take from the precinct, because of what he did and hid about Palmetto). But I've really loved seeing him figure out what he felt guilty about, and work his way through each thing, and try to communicate with people as a ghost (and annoy the crap out of Amenadiel in the cop car, lol, so funny), and his final talk with Trixie was wonderful. I'm glad they switched from his inherited body to Kevin Alejandro so that Trixie's actual father could be seen and heard saying what he loved about her and reacting to her standing firm about him being a great father - it was beautiful to watch. (Though I will say that Rob Benedict did a great, great job imitating Kevin's Dan mannerisms and speech patterns. That was terrific too.)

So happy for Dan to reach heaven at last. He earned it, 100%.

• Love 12
19 hours ago, Gwendolyn said:

And the props to Rob Benedict from flipping from bad *ss mercenary to Dan and selling both. Of course the way Dan signals to Lucifer who is the call back to being bracelet bros.

That was some really fine acting from Rob Benedict.  I completely saw Dan in everything he did.

13 hours ago, Anela said:

Of course their other daughter was kidnapped. Even though she should also be able to take care of herself. I missed why her wings are the way they are - I'll have to look it up. 

I guess it's because he's her dad and it's natural to be worried about your kid, but Rory is a freaking angel.  Some mortal isn't going to be able to hurt her.  How did he know who Rory was in the first place?  How did he get from Trixie to Rory, when he was near Trixie?

Can't say anything about Lucifer's "goodbyes" than has already been said.  Great acting all around.  

• Love 4

I am so disappointed in Dan's selfishness to choose that moment to go into the light. He was inside the body of a deadly killer who was standing right next to his daughter. If Le Mec was conscious the whole time or could hear Dan's thoughts, that could be knowledge he could use against Dan's family and friends. Dan could have held out long enough to take Le Mec back to prison or at least have him identified and subdued so that he could be arrested. Dan not making sure that Le Mec was arrested and returned to prison should be Dan's greatest regret.

But I guess that would have ruined the next episode. 

• Love 7
On 9/17/2021 at 3:52 AM, AnimeMania said:

I am so disappointed in Dan's selfishness to choose that moment to go into the light. He was inside the body of a deadly killer who was standing right next to his daughter.

I thought he didin't have a choice in the matter. As soon as he let go of the guilt he got pulled to heaven , at least that's how I see it.

What bothers me the most is lack of any Lucifer-Trixie interaction. I guess now when he got brand new biological daugher she's not worth his time anymore. It bugged me so much when he took Chloe and Rory to the beach, to spend last day on earth with his family and Trixie wasn't included in that.  He didn't even  say goodbye. She's the only character that he missed on his "last goodbye" tour. 

But that is the problem with the whole season for me. If they wanted a storyline with Luci struggling to be a good father they could have done it with Trixie. She just lost her dad, so seeing how her dynamic with him evolved , how he would feel insecure about his place in her life , now that he and Chloe are together would be so interesting. But nooo, Deckerstar must have their own "real" daughter .  Blood is thicker than water, always and forever ugh.

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, Kasienka said:

I thought he didin't have a choice in the matter. As soon as he let go of the guilt he got pulled to heaven , at least that's how I see it.

What bothers me the most is lack of any Lucifer-Trixie interaction. I guess now when he got brand new biological daugher she's not worth his time anymore. It bugged me so much when he took Chloe and Rory to the beach, to spend last day on earth with his family and Trixie wasn't included in that.  He didn't even  say goodbye. She's the only character that he missed on his "last goodbye" tour. 

But that is the problem with the whole season for me. If they wanted a storyline with Luci struggling to be a good father they could have done it with Trixie. She just lost her dad, so seeing how her dynamic with him evolved , how he would feel insecure about his place in her life , now that he and Chloe are together would be so interesting. But nooo, Deckerstar must have their own "real" daughter .  Blood is thicker than water, always and forever ugh.

Same. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Kasienka said:

Totally agree, because Dan would not have left a killer near his daughter if he'd had a choice in the matter. And fortunately for Dan, Le Mec was more upset with Lucifer and didn't seek revenge on Trixie.

See this was a side effect and valid view of Lucifer not telling Trixie good-bye. I wonder how the decision was made to reduce Scarlett Estevez from series regular to guest star between Fox to Netflix? Because I think that forced them to use Trixie judiciously and sporadically, depending on her availability (which based on IMDb was limited due to her having a flourishing career).  I mean we know Trixie already resented Lucifer or upsetting her mom when he went back to hell, but there was no resentment about Chloe moving on with him? But it does look like she wasn't important to him and that's not how they're relationship was portrayed, it was the one big missed opportunity here. Though I agree that if she could only get a good-bye from one character it had to be her father.

• Love 4
On 9/11/2021 at 4:24 AM, Gigi43 said:

Moreover, if somehow she magically managed to never see a photo of him (though there would've clearly been media coverage when Dan died), when he escaped there absolutely would've been law enforcement warning Chloe, and any other officers who were involved in arresting him. Trixie wouldn't be obliviously still at science camp. They're obvious targets for escapee wanting revenge. This plot made no sense.

• Love 2

I believe that trixie is 13/14, now.  As far as not recognizing her dad’s killer, sometimes when you see someone out of context you don’t recognize them right away.  He knew all the correct answers, no French accent, his facial expressions were different.

she did have a feel that things were a bit off when he mentioned the light, and ended the conversation and got back to her group.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, pootlus said:

Rob Benedict did an amazing job impersonating Kevin Alejandro. 

He definitely took notes on how Kevin played Dan, that was a good job. 

On 9/18/2021 at 6:19 PM, Gwendolyn said:

See this was a side effect and valid view of Lucifer not telling Trixie good-bye. I wonder how the decision was made to reduce Scarlett Estevez from series regular to guest star between Fox to Netflix? Because I think that forced them to use Trixie judiciously and sporadically, depending on her availability (which based on IMDb was limited due to her having a flourishing career).  I mean we know Trixie already resented Lucifer or upsetting her mom when he went back to hell, but there was no resentment about Chloe moving on with him? But it does look like she wasn't important to him and that's not how they're relationship was portrayed, it was the one big missed opportunity here. Though I agree that if she could only get a good-bye from one character it had to be her father.

Aside from Scarlett doing other things, it seemed like they went out of their way to reduce the Trixie/Lucifer relationship. Rory found out for the first time in 6x7 that Trixie and Lucifer played games and that Trixie loved Lucifer, Rory pulled out the "she's not your bio-daughter" and Lucifer, instead of standing up to Rory's tantrum, was quick to distance himself from Trixie and say he didn't even like the game. For me, I liked Trixie and Dan's Goodbye but Trixie didn't even know it was Dan, so it wasn't a Goodbye for her. As far as she knew the last time she saw her Dad was in 5x15, then at some point Lucifer takes off without saying Goodbye. I don't like the producers think the audience can't watch two different Goodbyes. All they would have had to do was even have Lucifer call her and we just hear what he had to say. 

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

Aside from Scarlett doing other things, it seemed like they went out of their way to reduce the Trixie/Lucifer relationship. Rory found out for the first time in 6x7 that Trixie and Lucifer played games and that Trixie loved Lucifer, Rory pulled out the "she's not your bio-daughter" and Lucifer, instead of standing up to Rory's tantrum, was quick to distance himself from Trixie and say he didn't even like the game.

That's exactly my problem. Lucifer's relationship with Trixie is non existent this season. It's like the writers felt he and Chloe need to have a "real" daugher together and I don't like it. As soon as Rory appears she takes all the spotlight, and Lucifer's last happy day with his family doesn't include Trixie. The worst thing is Chloe doesn't seem to care either.    

• Love 6

I am curious as to how some normal (if badass) guy managed to kidnap a part angel woman with razer wings. Apparently Trixie, a small normal human child, can take care of herself better than a fully grown angel, but considering Trixie was more mature at eleven than Rory is at forty something, that lines up. I guess Rory's badass vibe really is just an aesthetic. 

I am glad that they spent this episode giving Lucifer having nice conversations with everyone, it was a good way to get close to finishing the show, celebrating the whole cast as we get to the end of the show and what I am sure will be a mostly Deckerstar family centric finale. I especially thought his talks with Maze and Amenadiel, where she said that Maze was his best friend and Amenadiel is his favorite brother (especially after how they started off in the show) were really emotional. I really would have liked to see Lucifer have a last talk with Trixie though, even if it was just a quick moment, but the show has basically forgotten that Lucifer and Trixie were ever close now that his "real" daughter has shown up, which really sucks. Like Lucifer/Chloe/Rory are the real family now with Trixie just off in the background, despite the fact that she has to be going through a lot, losing her dad while her mom is getting serious with someone else right after. 

The big moment though was when Dan finally realized that his guilt was about leaving Trixie, which totally makes sense and him getting to finally say goodbye to her was a really great scene, I am so glad that he finally made it into heaven. Dan did make a lot of terrible mistakes and was a very flawed person, but he tried so hard to make up for his mistakes and to be a better person, its wonderful (and on point with the shows themes) that Trixie learned the importance of trying to learn from your mistakes from him. 

Then we get to one of the main reasons why these cousin Oliver kids get written into shows like this, when they aren't just being bratty walking plot complications...getting kidnapped so that mom and dad can save them.

• Love 4

Even tho I was sceptical abt Trixie not recognizing LeMec, that scene just brought me to tears.  But…I wanted to see Dan reunited in Heaven w/Charlotte!

If they don’t give me that in the finale, I’m gonna be upset.

You can tell that Lesley Anne & Tom’s last scene was this one.  I remember a tweet she sent and she stated that.  Another teary eyed moment.

And while I agree that Amenadiel would make the perfect God, I still wanted him to end up w/Linda.  And are we not gonna see Charlie this season?

Now I’m worried that the demon blade Maze gave Luci is what will be his undoing.  Maybe he trips and falls on it?  Maybe LeMec gets ahold of it?

(Oh yeah, and kudos to Rob for channeling Dan.  But he was bumbling, lovable Chuck, so it’s in his wheelhouse)

While I got teary in several scenes, nothing made me cry like Charlotte & Dan’s murders. 

I’m gonna miss this show, but I do hope the end isn’t quite this sappy.

I feel like a lot of parents who died suddenly and left young children behind would feel the same amount of guilt that Dan did. Are they are all then rotting away in hell? And Dan had the advantage of having a half-angel carry him back to earth and somehow luck into finding a way to jump into a living person's body so he could talk to his daughter and finally get to heaven. What are the other souls like his supposed to do?

• Love 4
On 9/11/2021 at 7:24 AM, Gigi43 said:

Everything about Lucifer/Chloe/Rory comes off as lame Deckerstar Happy Family Fanfiction.

Apparently the Road to Hell is paved with schmaltz. 
I appreciate all the heartfelt good-byes and sweetness - - but .. for me .. that isn't what Lucifer - the character, the concept or the show - is about.  
I am sort of okay with it, but only for the sake of the cast, crew and fans just wanting uncomplicated happy endings.

On 9/23/2021 at 2:43 PM, Rambler said:

I feel like a lot of parents who died suddenly and left young children behind would feel the same amount of guilt that Dan did. Are they are all then rotting away in hell?

Yeah .. the whole theory that Hell is self-actualization run amok really doesn't work in all cases.  Would psychopaths get to skip Hell because they don't actually feel guilty about their selfish acts? 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2

Unfortunately I was right about source of Dan’s guilt.  And I call bs. That would have been his first second and third thought as a parent dying, leaving a teenage child behind. No way he wouldn’t have worked through that in all those years in “purgatory” he was trying to figure out what was holding him back.

the thing that I MIGHT give the writers a pass on is that it wasn’t only about leaving her behind, it’s about how he felt he was during his life. Not a role model he thought his daughter needed. So at least it’s not the stalest cliche in the book.

but still. Pretty lazy writing.

im glad Kevin Alejandro got to stick around but they could have written the reason better than the most obvious thing in the universe… apparently to everyone but clueless Dan.

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 1

The to do list Lucifer had though. LOL pretty much up there with the whiteboards from before

become god

prove I love Rory

check in on Fr. Frank

Azrael’s blade still secure?

start calling Dan “Casper” 

rewatch Bones

visit São Paulo 

try golden gate w/Chloe 

I had to google the last one. Good thing I did it in incognito tab 😂 

• LOL 1
On 10/17/2021 at 11:07 PM, vavera4ka said:

the thing that I MIGHT give the writers a pass on is that it wasn’t only about leaving her behind, it’s about how he felt he was during his life. Not a role model he thought his daughter needed. So at least it’s not the stalest cliche in the book.

This is the only way this storyline could possibly work -- that he needed to confess to the daughter who admired him that he'd been a bad person and not worthy of emulating. (Unfortunately, she didn't get the message because she didn't know it was actually coming from him, but he couldn't help that.)

If not that, then the whole guilt/Hell rationale makes no sense. "Guilt" isn't supposed to mean "regret," it just means "responsibility for wrongdoing" -- i.e., if you knowingly do something wrong, then you're guilty. (When people say "I feel guilty about that," they mean "I feel like I did something wrong"; whether they feel bad about that is up to them.) If Hell is just about regret, then Pete's waiting for Ella up in Heaven, which doesn't sound particularly heavenly for anyone.

• Love 1