Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: My Best Fiend's Wedding

paulvdb

Rory is supposed to be 30-40 years old (older than she looks) but she still isn't mature enough to give Lucifer the benefit of the doubt that he leaves for some important celestial reason rather than out of selfishness, or to stop punishing him for something he hasn't even done yet. And did she really think so low of Chloe to believe that she would've deeply loved a neglectful deadbeat? With her whole angsty-teen-goth schtick, Rory's the Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way of this show, complete with edgy knife wings. 

She was also raised and surrounded by loving family and friends her whole life. I don't buy that Lucifer's absence "ruined" it or traumatized her to such a degree that she time-traveled out of anger. And I'm sure plenty of people find it entertaining to watch Lucifer grovel for this brand-new character's forgiveness/approval, but I'm certainly not one of them.

They could have easily chilled out Rory's character a bit. Have her recognize that the Lucifer she meets is innocent of the "crimes" she's angry about. Have her reveal in some sudden outburst later on that he left her and Chloe, but that she knows it's not fair to dump that on him at this point in time despite her still being hurt and lashing out. Some extra maturity and self-awareness would have gone a long way, but as is the "wah wah my daddy left me" is about all there is to her character. And it's hard to sympathize with an adult whose defining trait so far is self-centered angst and pissiness.

• Love 22
5 hours ago, BabySpinach said:

"wah wah my daddy left me" is about all there is to her character. And it's hard to sympathize with an adult whose defining trait so far is self-centered angst and pissiness.

I don't know, to me that proves she's Lucifer's daughter. She inherited his all about me trait. Which he still has and he's a over a millenia old. I'm going to guess some Angel's mature very slowly. For the celistials she would still be considered a child, maybe even a toddler. 

I loved Maze's vows, that was perfectly her. She's not will never be normal and I'm glad they kept that. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't know, to me that proves she's Lucifer's daughter. She inherited his all about me trait. Which he still has and he's a over a millenia old. I'm going to guess some Angel's mature very slowly. For the celistials she would still be considered a child, maybe even a toddler. 

I loved Maze's vows, that was perfectly her. She's not will never be normal and I'm glad they kept that. 

At least Lucifer was introduced as a charming and fun character, with his darker aspects and flaws slowly shown to us over time and consistently balanced out by his other traits. Rory just popped in wings blazing as this stroppy goth with baggage that hadn't even happened yet, acting and looking like a bad fanfic self-insert OC. It was a hard sell for me to particularly sympathize or care about her when that was pretty much all her personality.

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Love 9

I was wondering if Adam was ever going to factor in with Eve getting hitched, and he finally arrives!  Not surprised that he came off like an arrogant douchebag with majorly dated views on almost everything, but I was happily surprised that he ended up not being a major obstacle at the end thanks to Linda getting through to him (even while captured, of course!), and him realizing how toxic he is and working on improving himself.  Which, well, he clearly still has ways to go, but dammit, he's trying!  Scott MacArthur was an unexpected, but interesting choice for the role.

Glad that the wedding went off despite Maze's final attempt at self-sabotaging (sigh... classic Maze), and the vows were pretty awesome.  Even got the second (and third) F-bombs of the series!  Lesley Ann-Brandt and Inbar Lavi are slaying it here.

Like with most stories involving ghosts and other invisible beings, I really don't understand why Amenadiel doesn't just buy a bluetooth headset or something since that might fool enough people to think he's just on the phone and not just talking to nothing.

I know I'm suppose to feel for Rory, but it's hard to when she blows up over something that Lucifer actually had a good, selfless reason for.  And, of course, after being all cagey with everything else, she just has to drop the bombshell that Chloe was on her deathbed before she time-traveled.

Did like the brief fist bump and exchange between Maze and Trixie.  Wish we got more of that duo this season.

Finally, Ella gets totally wasted at the reception and tells everyone she knows the truth, finally.  Oh, and that the world is ending and no on else knows about it.  Uh oh!

• Love 8

I don't get why Chloe's deathbed was supposed to be such a dark moment of trauma for Rory. Rory is an angel. Can't she travel between heaven and earth? Unlike most humans, she'd know that wasn't the end for her mom, AND she'd know that she could still visit her. Of course, there's no real reason she couldn't have had a relationship with her father all that time, either. I think she was self-actualizing barriers so she could keep being an angry brat.

• Love 10

So incredibly disappointed that politics that are not even tangentially related to the story were stuffed into the show.

Last episode, I thought they did a good job of discussing issues black Americans face, they seamlessly made it part of the story.

Now they are just thrusting in all kinds of jargon, totally unnecessary and annoying.

• Love 1

Will his daughter take over hell, if Maze wants to stay on earth with Eve?Poor Ella. They love her, but she said they think so little of her, that they didn’t tell her the truth.  Whenever someone found out, they freaked out.  
Loved the wedding, except for the zombies, but this wouldn’t be Lucifer, if the wedding wasn’t silly, too.  Lucifer is getting really good at being there for everyone, except Rory.  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

So incredibly disappointed that politics that are not even tangentially related to the story were stuffed into the show.

Last episode, I thought they did a good job of discussing issues black Americans face, they seamlessly made it part of the story.

Now they are just thrusting in all kinds of jargon, totally unnecessary and annoying.

I thought it made sense that he wouid show up, and be that way.  Eve got the blame for everything. 
I did wonder if anyone else will show up for therapy, in the future (that we won’t see - I’ll miss this show).  

On 9/13/2021 at 5:19 PM, madmax said:

How did Ella put all this together?  There was no AHA moment.  It plays like they couldn't leave her in the dark at the end, so they shoehorned this in there.

They never call out exactly what brought it together for her but if I had to guess I'd say it was the zombie wedding guests. Ella has seen many dead bodies and she knows them when she sees them. We know from her conspiracy board that she had already filled in most of the blanks (with some hilarious speculation included as a freeze-frame bonus) so it's reasonable to assume that all she needed was good physical evidence to tie it all together.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

They never call out exactly what brought it together for her but if I had to guess I'd say it was the zombie wedding guests. Ella has seen many dead bodies and she knows them when she sees them.

I thought for sure Ella was going to say that one of the dead bodies was somebody that see photographed at a crime scene.

• Love 3
On 9/14/2021 at 1:04 AM, Enginerd said:

I don't get why Chloe's deathbed was supposed to be such a dark moment of trauma for Rory. Rory is an angel. Can't she travel between heaven and earth? Unlike most humans, she'd know that wasn't the end for her mom, AND she'd know that she could still visit her. Of course, there's no real reason she couldn't have had a relationship with her father all that time, either. I think she was self-actualizing barriers so she could keep being an angry brat.

IIRC, when Rory brought that up, she said something to the effect that she'd thought Chloe being about to die was the one thing that would bring Lucifer back from wherever he'd vanished to, and it was his still not showing up that sent her into her time-travel-inducing rage.

• Love 4
On 9/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, madmax said:

How did Ella put all this together?  There was no AHA moment.  It plays like they couldn't leave her in the dark at the end, so they shoehorned this in there.

I think Ella's 'a ha' moment was when she felt the Big Guy's absence when she prayed and that feeling coincided with Lucifer's dad leaving town. I'm guessing that was the first domino to fall and then she thought about Lucifer's always said he was the devil and she started to think about things she couldn't explain around him and Amendiel, then the frog appearing to fall from the sky had her start looking at the internet. Etc. Poor Carol missing Ella's big scene.

I was glad Linda walked Maze down the aisle, and not Lucifer, as Linda was her biggest supporter and best friend, and like Eve walking herself it was about women finally feeling empowered.  Also I liked Trixie saying she was Maze's best friend. So glad they were able to get Scarlett back for this despite the actress having another job, because Maze wouldn't get married without Trixie.

As annoying as it was Rory being mad at Luci for not seeing her at the tailor, it's totally a tantrum Lucifer would've thrown back in season 1 or 2, they've really nailed her being like her dad in that respect.

• Love 10

I also found it really cheap that Rory's situation with Lucifer was implied to be equivalent to Lucifer's situation with God. Last time I checked, Lucifer didn't cast her from home and force her to oversee the worst of humanity for millennia while also being vilified as the personification of evil and believing that she was utterly unworthy of love. Unless Chloe totally bungled her parenting,  Rory was raised in a happy home with a big sister and loads of doting aunts and uncles, so I'm not quite seeing the parallels here. Just seems weirdly traditionalist to imply that no matter how many nurturing figures raise you, your biological parents are the only truly important figures in your development and their absence will still deeply traumatize you.

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Love 8
On 9/12/2021 at 4:09 AM, BabySpinach said:

Rory is supposed to be 30-40 years old (older than she looks) but she still isn't mature enough to give Lucifer the benefit of the doubt that he leaves for some important celestial reason rather than out of selfishness, or to stop punishing him for something he hasn't even done yet. And did she really think so low of Chloe to believe that she would've deeply loved a neglectful deadbeat? With her whole angsty-teen-goth schtick, Rory's the Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way of this show, complete with edgy knife wings. 

I didn't think the knife wings were supposed to be an indicator of how angsty edgy she is. Decker could only conceive Rory because she had the necklace superpowers. The necklace is the key to the flaming sword. Ergo, resulting baby has blade-ey wings. At least, that's what I thought they were going for.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I’m not sure how I felt abt this episode.  It was all over the map story wise and in its pacing.

1) I’m so sick of Rory and her goth whining!  Rather than see the big picture - that Lucifer has evolved to the point that he was helping out a friend on the Eve of her wedding - all she sees is “he’s not there for ME!”  

2) I hated Ella getting drunk and blurting things out at an inappropriate time.  She totally put a damper on the wedding.  Not that she wasn’t right to have those feelings of being left out, but it was the wrong time.

3) Dan’s pain on seeing Trixie….

4) The convoluted way they got Adam on Earth.  Saraquel via Gabriel via Maze.  Really stupid and unnecessary.  While I thought the idea of having Adam come to try to stop the wedding could’ve worked, it didn’t the way they wrote it.

5) Adam kidnapping Linda was a rehash of Michael kidnapping Chloe.  I’d rather have spent more time w/Adam on her couch.

6) Maze’s dress was an abomination.  She could barely walk in it.  Maze would wear something more revealing.  Her makeup was terrible too.

7) HOW does Ella know the end is coming?  Just because Dan2 fell from the sky?  They need to explain her reasoning.

Yeah, this was the weakest episode so far.

But I loved that rose shaped fountain on the balcony where the wedding took place.  That was gorgeous!

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2

If you read Ella's board, you could see she was speculating on what kind of supernatural being Dan could be. Under Dan, she wrote: Werewolf? Vampire? Centaur? I was wondering what on earth would make her believe that Dan was a Centaur, when I realized she had probably heard Lucifer call him a horse's ass plenty of times.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6

The background stuff in Lucifer has always been top notch.  I don't think anything will ever top Lucifer's Dan Revenge Board but Ella's was pretty close.  Love that the smartest character worked it out for herself and I bloody love that she was hurt at being left out because for someone who has literally embraced every other major character on the show and has always been there for them that would sting like a bitch.

• Love 6

Ella trying to guess what supernatural creature Dan might be on her board (Vampire? Werewolf? Centaur?) was amazing, this show has some of the best freeze frame bonuses. It sucks that Ella ended up blurting out everything while she was drunk at the wedding and that she is terribly hurt by the fact that everyone hid this from her, but I am glad that everything is at least out in the open. 

So after talking about him for a few seasons we finally meet Adam, who is a pretty big douche, as being the first man ever is probably going to lead to someone getting a pretty high opinion of themselves, but luckily Dr. Linda, therapist extraordinaire, is able to get him on the right track to becoming a better person. Its all a bit played for laughs, but I do enjoy it as another way to explore the shows philosophies of redemption, taking small steps to become a better person, and that there is always time to change. Even if your the first person who ever existed. 

The wedding was really sweet, the venue was really pretty and both of their dresses were very them. Maze indulged in a bit of classic maze self destruction but at least made it through the actual wedding without incident, and even some of her siblings made the trip up! As ambling corpses with demons inside, but still, a nice gesture. We even got a cute fist bump between Maze and Trixie, which reminded me of how much I missed the two of them. 

I'm sorry, I am just so over Rory and her never ending angst and whining. Oh no, your dad took time to help your close friends of several millennia get married and didn't go to a thing she said you wouldn't go to anyway, what a jerk! Now knowing that her big terrible thing that is happening is that her presumably elderly mother died, which shouldn't be that big of a deal for a angel who can fly up to heaven to see her whenever she wants, just makes her wangst even more insufferable. I guess celestials also must reach emotional maturity very slowly considering this woman, who is apparently a full grown woman, in her forties or fifties even, still acts like a whiny teenager going on about her daddy issues while buying extra shirts at Hot Topic. Has it seriously never occurred to her that her dad had a reason to do what he did? Has Chloe or Maze or anyone tried to tell her that her dad wouldn't have left her unless it was for something really important? Has she ever met a problem that she didn't want to stomp her foot and pout at? The only funny thing about all of this is how Lucifer sort of has to deal with someone who behaves a lot like he did when the show first started, forever blaming everything on his absent father with a very pouty "screw you dad" sort of teenage attitude, shoes really on the other foot now. Although, Lucifer even then was also funny and interesting and charismatic and really had a lot more reasons to be salty with his dad then Rory does. Lucifer got sent to hell to do a job he hated for thousands of years, while it sounds like Rory had a wonderful life with her mom and extended family, and her personally seems to mostly be "pissed" "whiny" and "hot topic edgy". I also thought her getting all crappy about Lucifer's relationship with Trixie was especially petty. Sorry your dad got along with your half sister, yeah Trixie really has all the luck, except for her father who was recently murdered and all. Let the poor kid have her game nights without having a hissy fit.

• Love 4

I think Rory is trying to reconcile what she knows of her father and this wacky over the top guy who has a few good moments. Singing together and the talk on the building was a big step forward.  She has the same blind spot about Lucifer as he did about his father. Very similar to how Lucifer would go back and forth with his dad, ping ponging from kid striking out to adult trying to understand. 

the difference is that Lucifer is trying to figure out how the abandonment happened as well as dealing with a daughter insisting it happens.

3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I'm sorry, I am just so over Rory and her never ending angst and whining. Oh no, your dad took time to help your close friends of several millennia get married and didn't go to a thing she said you wouldn't go to anyway, what a jerk! Now knowing that her big terrible thing that is happening is that her presumably elderly mother died, which shouldn't be that big of a deal for a angel who can fly up to heaven to see her whenever she wants, just makes her wangst even more insufferable. I guess celestials also must reach emotional maturity very slowly considering this woman, who is apparently a full grown woman, in her forties or fifties even, still acts like a whiny teenager going on about her daddy issues while buying extra shirts at Hot Topic. Has it seriously never occurred to her that her dad had a reason to do what he did? Has Chloe or Maze or anyone tried to tell her that her dad wouldn't have left her unless it was for something really important? Has she ever met a problem that she didn't want to stomp her foot and pout at? The only funny thing about all of this is how Lucifer sort of has to deal with someone who behaves a lot like he did when the show first started, forever blaming everything on his absent father with a very pouty "screw you dad" sort of teenage attitude, shoes really on the other foot now. Although, Lucifer even then was also funny and interesting and charismatic and really had a lot more reasons to be salty with his dad then Rory does. Lucifer got sent to hell to do a job he hated for thousands of years, while it sounds like Rory had a wonderful life with her mom and extended family, and her personally seems to mostly be "pissed" "whiny" and "hot topic edgy". I also thought her getting all crappy about Lucifer's relationship with Trixie was especially petty. Sorry your dad got along with your half sister, yeah Trixie really has all the luck, except for her father who was recently murdered and all. Let the poor kid have her game nights without having a hissy fit.

Rory whining about being alone when Chloe died pissed me off because she is an Angel who can see Chloe. Unless Trixie is already dead, she's going to lose her mother and not see her again until whenever it is she dies. But it's the Rory show. I get they want to make her like Lucifer but I don't think Lucifer would be this mad over something that hasn't happened yet, his anger at his father was actually accurately placed for what did happen, and they didn't try to make Rory like Chloe, who raised her and had direct influence over, at all because of how stunted she is at what I'm assuming is around 40yrs old, and grew up in the human world. Lucifer had a celestial life, so did Maze, so their stunted-ness can be explained by lack of proper human interaction. Rory grew up on Earth. 

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 7
On 9/19/2021 at 11:01 PM, pootlus said:

The background stuff in Lucifer has always been top notch.  I don't think anything will ever top Lucifer's Dan Revenge Board but Ella's was pretty close.  Love that the smartest character worked it out for herself and I bloody love that she was hurt at being left out because for someone who has literally embraced every other major character on the show and has always been there for them that would sting like a bitch.

Another classic was Reese's (Linda's journalist ex-husband) whiteboard when he was investigating Lucifer and associates. Under Charlotte Richards' entry it said something like this:

LOVER?

MOTHER?

WTF???

• Love 5
7 hours ago, wilnil said:

Another classic was Reese's (Linda's journalist ex-husband) whiteboard when he was investigating Lucifer and associates. Under Charlotte Richards' entry it said something like this:

LOVER?

MOTHER?

WTF???

Oh yeah, I forgot abt that.

I saw an Instagram of Rob Benedict -  Vincent LeMec (aka Chuck/God), and the guy who played Reese.  It said that he, Rob, was happy to be working w/his friend on Lucifer.

Now I haven’t seen the final two eps yet, but I know Rob is in them.  So does that mean Reese is too?  How?  Is he going to overcome his guilt and get into Heaven too?  I just thought it was an odd character to bring back, when they could bring back so many others instead - Cain, Malcolm, Father Frank, Candy, Penelope, Adrianna, Uriel.

• Love 2

Uriel is proper gone after being killed with azriel’s blade.  The blade takes you out of existence, that is why Lucifer took it back to heaven.

although uriel does live on in how things fell in this series.  Rory time traveling, taking Dan back to earth, the angel siblings answering prayers willy nilly … it reminded me of how he set up chloe’s car accident.

Edited by bigseach
On 9/21/2021 at 10:11 PM, roamyn said:

Now I haven’t seen the final two eps yet, but I know Rob is in them.  So does that mean Reese is too?  How?  Is he going to overcome his guilt and get into Heaven too?  I just thought it was an odd character to bring back, when they could bring back so many others instead - Cain, Malcolm, Father Frank, Candy, Penelope, Adrianna, Uriel.

Malcolm seems to have been wiped from existence on the show. I'd say he came closer to killing Lucifer than Dan did, since Lucifer did die/bleed out when Malcolm shot him and he only survived because God stepped in. Dan came as close as any criminal who shot at Luci. Then in the discussions about LAPD corruption, while Malcolm was never shown to be a racist, I did think his name would come up as Chloe was aware of police corruption in general, but nothing and it seemed like finding about about shady cops was new information to Chloe. Again, I get the topic was racism and that wasn't Malcolm's issue, but Chloe seemed too surprised at the idea of corrupt cops and cover ups for someone who was isolated from her cop coworkers for labeling Malcolm as dirty.

On 9/12/2021 at 5:09 AM, BabySpinach said:

Rory is supposed to be 30-40 years old (older than she looks) but she still isn't mature enough to give Lucifer the benefit of the doubt that he leaves for some important celestial reason rather than out of selfishness, or to stop punishing him for something he hasn't even done yet. And did she really think so low of Chloe to believe that she would've deeply loved a neglectful deadbeat?

I can buy where she's coming from, but it's just the unwillingness to listen. I don't think she necessarily has to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it was important enough for her to come back, so sure, demand answers, and then listen. I mean, she's consistently said she has a good relationship with Chloe, so all of a sudden 'you always take his side' seems a little disingenuous. To be fair, Lucifer probably should have checked the tailor, but again, he's been a dad for like 4 days.

I'm still thinking god-Lucifer sent her back to test now-Lucifer somehow though. Self-actualization ok, but time travel is a big actualization. 

I should have, but didn't, expect Adam to show up at one point. Making him some country dudebro was brilliant. This entire series was worth it for Eve and Maze making out in front of Adam while Maze flipped him the bird. The actor was great.  

Dan Centaur. ha ha ha ha ha

The whole naming of the animals running gag was killing me. 

I like how Ella is spilling everything and everyone there is already who she's talking about. 

This was a perfect f bomb. 

I actually liked Dan being so frayed. Not for anything, while we're opining here, correctly imo, about Rory's self actualized issues, she did bring Dan from hell to the mortal plane and is responsible for his ghostness. I do hope that is addressed. Dan expecting Ami or any of them to actually know what was up with him and how he can fix it was kind of funny though. I don't think it's about Dan overcoming guilt at this point. Unless he's feeling guilty about leaving Trixie. Traditionally, ghosts have 'unfinished business', so maybe that might be something. 

• Love 1
On 9/20/2021 at 8:54 PM, Gigi43 said:

Rory whining about being alone when Chloe died pissed me off because she is an Angel who can see Chloe. Unless Trixie is already dead, she's going to lose her mother and not see her again until whenever it is she dies. But it's the Rory show. I

I agree. Trixie was basically written off, that was not right.
I get their final point - annoying weird winged daughter Rory was their with her mother at the end. However, Trixie was an actual cast member who had a significant story line, but was shelved.

I did like the season in general, but it should have been Trixie with her at the end - she is who we bonded with over the entire series.

• Love 1