Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Yabba Dabba Do Me

paulvdb

I loved the cartoon portion, especially the mini-horns in Lucifer's hair.  And seeing all those hold Hanna Barbera cartoons on the TV.

Chloe needs to give up the necklace already.

TOTALLY surprised that Lucifer has a daughter, but then again, kinda not.  The man did get around before Chloe.

I had to pause the TV 14 minutes in when Lucifer took his pants off and said, in a horrified voice, "I'm a SMOOTHIE!" because I was laughing so hard.  And of course it's the first thing he checks when they get back to corporeal forms.

Both Tom and Lauren did really well with the voiceovers.

• LOL 5

Cool that they brought back in the Jimmy Barnes character and had him play a part in Lucifer's growth into finally accepting being God.  I wonder whatever "blasts from the past" will show up for the final season.

The cartoon segments were fun and both Tom Ellis and Lauren German seemed to be having a blast with the voiceovers.  They all really nailed down the old-school Hanna Barbera style of cartoons.

Not sure what to make of Amenadiel's journey about being a beat cop.  I wonder if we'll see Merrin Dungey's character again.

Looks like the mysterious vengeful angel is Lucifer's daughter after-all.  Curious to see who will be the mother.  At least Dan wasn't actually in league with her and was trying to warn Lucifer, but it was still a half-assed plan at best.  But now he's back on Earth but apparently in ghost form (at least celestials are able to see "Ghost Dan.") 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, pootlus said:

I had to pause the TV 14 minutes in when Lucifer took his pants off and said, in a horrified voice, "I'm a SMOOTHIE!" because I was laughing so hard.  And of course it's the first thing he checks when they get back to corporeal forms.

I loved that Chloe checked too, and Lauren's tone with "yeah, there's nothing going on down there."

3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I was hoping that Dan might leave and find Amenadiel to get Lucifer some back up.

Although if his hand passes through the elevator buttons he's stuck there.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Lugal said:
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I was hoping that Dan might leave and find Amenadiel to get Lucifer some back up.

Although if his hand passes through the elevator buttons he's stuck there.

Maybe he can leave by the window, but what do I know, the physics makes no sense to me.

If he leaves through the window, will the ground stop him or will he keep falling all the way back down to Hell?

Afterlife/ghost physics aren't really my thing either.

Edited by Lugal
16 hours ago, GaT said:

Why does she have red wings???????

Self-actualization? Like were Luci's wings always bright white because he saw himself in the right? And Michael's gray because he was well, a bit of a gray character who thought he was good, but really not? Also the chip on his shoulder.

Just a guess.

If a hell loop can be anything, of course someone would imagine theirs as animated. Imagine what someone like Picasso's hell loop would look like. Also not knowing the rules of hell, of course Chloe went with the flow of an animated loop quicker than Lucifer.

• Love 1
On 9/12/2021 at 6:42 PM, Gwendolyn said:

On 9/12/2021 at 2:26 AM, GaT said:

Why does she have red wings???????

Self-actualization? Like were Luci's wings always bright white because he saw himself in the right? And Michael's gray because he was well, a bit of a gray character who thought he was good, but really not? Also the chip on his shoulder.

Amenadiel’s are gray.  Michael’s are black.

my guess is that the angels were made that way.  Lucifer’s are white because he is the Lightbringer.  Amenadiel started off in a morally gray area.  Remiel was a huntress/warrior, hence the browns.  That’s what I think.

I knew there was a new Angel, but I thought she was his sibling.  His daughter threw me for a loop.  

Yeah, Chloe needs to drop the necklace.  It’s getting tedious and annoying.  And Linda’s writing a book, huh?  I hope she is going for a novel, cause who would believe her story’s real?

Maze cracked me up when she got arrested for vandalism, but then when she revealed why she did it, my little demon loving ❤️went, “awe”.

• Love 2

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the vengeful angel is Lucifer's daughter considering how much the guy got around and for how long he got around before he met Chloe, but I still am. Or is she Lucifer and Chloe's kid from the future who hates them for something they will do later? I'm just happy its something different then another pissy angel sibling. I am also really glad that Dan was just playing along and was actually planning on warning Lucifer. His plan wasn't perfect, but at least he wasn't letting himself be used as tool again or giving into his insecurities surrounding Lucifer.

This was definitely my favorite episode of the season so far. While the first two were certainly solid, this one really seemed to kick things into high gear with both the plot and the characters. Bringing Jimmy Barnes back was really cool, like with the cop from the start of the season its a good way to bookend the show, but with this one they added a lot of major pathos. It was the first episode of the season that really delved into the shows greater philosophical ideas about redemption and evil. Lucifer chose to help Jimmy because he understandably hates Jimmy for the terrible things that he did, but seeing the greater context of Jimmy's life, being coldly abandoned in a cheap hotel room by his mother then making worse and worse choices as he faces more and more challenges which just makes him feel worse and do worse things, Lucifer cant excuse or maybe even forgive Jimmy for what he did, but he can have empathy for him and he cant hate him the way he used to now that he understands him. It could be the reason that God loves every single person in the world no matter what they do, because God knows everyone, deeply understands them, and why they do what they do. It also explores a bit of another theme of the show, that most people that do bad things didn't start out wanting to be bad, they started out just making one small bad choice, then another, then another, then they end up down a massive hole they cant get out of doing terrible things that all sprung out of that small mistake. Most obviously this was Dan's story, but its showed up in a lot of characters, you can start with good intentions but then due to your own personal issues and insecurities start making so many bad choices that eventually that can be all you are. Its probably why they were playing One Thing Leads to Another by Steven Strait as Jimmy sabotaged his old band and dumped his girlfriend who was only trying to help, his insecurities drove him to a darker and darker place making things worse until he ended up a murderer in hell. Now that Lucifer can have that context, he can actually feel bad for him. 

The cartoon sequences were really fun, kudos to Lauren and Tom for doing some solid voice work, I especially about died at Lauren's "Yeah, nothing going on down there" and I loved big red devil Lucifer and the little Lucifer's flying around his head as Chloe punched him. They really nailed that old school cartoon aesthetic. Then we went to over the top 80s memory, which was so hilarious over the top (including a Delorean) that even your average 80s themed party would tell them to go easy on the hairspray, and even that turned out to be an interesting stylistic choice, that it started out as the over the top nostalgic wacky TV 80s to the more muted realistic flashback to Jimmy being fired. 

Awww Maze you softie. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Cartoon Lucifer also made me realize that real life Lucifer is  getting some real beard action going. 

I noticed that as well.  Hotter with the stubbly beard.

I also loved the "devil horns" in the hair on the cartoon Lucifer.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:39 PM, AnimeMania said:

I didn't think of that. I was SO RELIEVED that Dan was playing the daughter and not being a mark. 

On 9/14/2021 at 3:42 PM, tennisgurl said:

Or is she Lucifer and Chloe's kid from the future who hates them for something they will do later?

Please no. That's way too hacky. 

On 9/14/2021 at 3:42 PM, tennisgurl said:

Bringing Jimmy Barnes back was really cool, like with the cop from the start of the season its a good way to bookend the show, but with this one they added a lot of major pathos. It was the first episode of the season that really delved into the shows greater philosophical ideas about redemption and evil. Lucifer chose to help Jimmy because he understandably hates Jimmy for the terrible things that he did, but seeing the greater context of Jimmy's life, being coldly abandoned in a cheap hotel room by his mother then making worse and worse choices as he faces more and more challenges which just makes him feel worse and do worse things, Lucifer cant excuse or maybe even forgive Jimmy for what he did, but he can have empathy for him and he cant hate him the way he used to now that he understands him.

This might be my favorite episode of the series (to date) because of the philosophical depth. I'm always a big teamwork proponent, and I really liked the teamwork with Lucifer and Chloe. I also really like he calls her by her name now. Looking wider, 83% of the show is Lucifer being impulsive, and at this point there's an actual effort on his part of trying to look at a larger context. It's telling Lucifer was able to gain control at the end there because he worked through to get that empathy. 

This leaves me with the impression that TPTBs really are serious about how they want to end this show. I would have preferred more that they focused on Lucifer as god rewriting rules, but when I took in this episode, if they're going to a more philosophical bent, I'm also interested in that take. 

• Love 1
On 9/10/2021 at 8:05 PM, madmax said:

TOTALLY surprised that Lucifer has a daughter, but then again, kinda not.  The man did get around before Chloe.

Props to the Eagles for nailing it: "I've been looking for the daughter of the devil himself" -- found her one of these nights.

On 9/11/2021 at 12:02 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Not sure what to make of Amenadiel's journey about being a beat cop.  I wonder if we'll see Merrin Dungey's character again.

Spoiler

Per IMDB, she's on for another 2 episodes.

I can't believe she's 50!  Black indeed does not crack!

On 9/13/2021 at 4:32 PM, roamyn said:

Linda’s writing a book, huh?  I hope she is going for a novel, cause who would believe her story’s real?

The title is "Sympathy for the Devil: My Time With Lucifer Morningstar".  She could be writing a straight-up documentary, which would get her a therapist of her own; she could be writing about counseling the "person" Lucifer Morningstar, which would run afoul pf doctor-client privilege; or she could be writing what it would be like if the Devil was seeking therapy.  I'm sure I like any of the three. 

• LOL 1

I'm not really getting what the daughter needs Dan for? Seems like she has a lot of confidence in her killer wings, with or without any insider knowledge she thinks Dan has.

I enjoyed the animated episode more than the musical episode.

Now I want to go back and watch the pilot... I have no recollection of that wedding scene...

• Love 1

It was great seeing the callback to Season 2, Episode 13 (where Lucifer has to go back to hell to help Chloe with the poisoning sitch and gets stuck in his hell loop, stabbing Uriel over and over).  In that episode, he was lured into his hell room after hearing a piano playing the opening notes to "Killing Me Softly (with Your Song)" and in this episode, Chloe almost opens the door to the same hell room after hearing the same notes, but Lucifer stops her.  It's very quick and I just noticed it!  This is the good part of re-watches...picking up previously missed details!