Type keyword(s) to search

S1.E05: Twice In A Lifetime

• Start Topic

Loving the fashion/costume choices on this show! Lots of great white outfits, and Nisha's clothes in this episode were pretty too.

Not really invested in Elena's love life, but I guess it's good that they want to flesh her out and let her have a story outside of facilitating fantasies.

I don't mind Ruby; but so far she not that interesting and she doesn't seem to have much of a role on the island or on the show in general.

The fantasy story: I guess the ending made sense, but I was kinda invested in which man she would pick. I don't know if she really needed to toss the whole list, though. Having goals is good. And I liked seeing an Indian-American story with Indian actors and characters; it's fairly uncommon.

I'm liking the show, so I'm in for the rest. Ratings don't look so great for a Season 2, though.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Trini said:

The fantasy story: I guess the ending made sense, but I was kinda invested in which man she would pick.

This is how many of us felt years ago when Kelly "I choose me" Taylor walked away from both Dylan and Brandon on Beverly Hill 90210.  🙃

• LOL 3

After spending a day in a jungle, I would have washed my hands first before shoveling food into my mouth using filthy unwashed hands. But hey, what do I know about the myriad tropical diseases.

I didn't really care about Nisha, but I thought her marrying Savin would have given her a distinctly American-Indian (from India) lifestyle and yet her life didn't seem that much different from what was happening when she married Josh. I was hoping that her Indian culture might have shown through a lot more. This would have made the story far more interesting. It is funny how the kids seemed to disappear from the equation in the latter half of the story.

Nisha marrying Savin held Nisha back from reaching her true potential.

Nisha marrying Josh held Josh back from reaching his true potential.

I don't know why Nisha didn't finish becoming a lawyer and then start her culinary classes, her life would probably have been so much easier and she would have the money to fulfill her dreams and her parents won't be hatin' on all of her life choices, like no husband and no kids.

Nisha was very annoying telling everybody how to cook. I think it was supposed to show that she is a wonderful chef, but it just made me glad that I don't have to be around her.

• Love 5

Before she made her choice, I was thinking Nisha should choose something in between the two options she had, like waiting longer and dating around before choosing a husband, though I figured she would go with the more steady Savin. So I appreciate that she chose herself and decided to hold off on marriage for now and go to culinary school now. She seriously needed to chill on her rigid life goals and that seemed to be what she was going to do

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Trini said:

Loving the fashion/costume choices on this show! Lots of great white outfits,

My favorite was the white sheet that Javier was almost wrapped up in...

What I found most interesting about the fantasy was how when Nisha was "with" Savin, Josh looked more appealing to her.  Then when she was "with" Josh, Savin looked more appealing to her.  The whole "road not taken" syndrome.  The end was telegraphed when the show opened with Nisha cooking while Facetiming her parents, and her parents telling her to stop that nonsense and get serious about marriage.  At that moment, even before I knew what the fantasy was about, I knew she was going to end the episode opening a restaurant or somehow becoming a chef.

That was lazy writing, but then again, this is a fluff show and that comes with the genre.  It isn't lazy, necessarily, when it is a required element in the formula. 

• Love 3

I liked this fantasy a lot.  Who wouldn't want some idea of how things would turn out when we are at a big, life-changing crossroads?   But there is truth in the saying that if you can't make up your mind between two men, that means neither of them are right for you at that time. 

• Love 1

I liked this episode although I wish they would settle on what Ruby is about. One minute she acts like this young naive girl and the next an old woman (both with an overdone Southern accent). I get she may be trying to adjust but they aren’t spending any time really developing her and her role on the island. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, xander874 said:

I liked this episode although I wish they would settle on what Ruby is about. One minute she acts like this young naive girl and the next an old woman (both with an overdone Southern accent). I get she may be trying to adjust but they aren’t spending any time really developing her and her role on the island. 

I don’t care for the 75 year old voice coming out of a 20-something throat.  That makes  no sense.  She can spout 75 year old wisdom with the appropriate sound for a 20 something voice box.  I do understand that she does have the wisdom of a  75 year old, to impart to the  clients.

I guess that’s what her role is: to give advice.  As to expanding her role- she’s really no more/less  important to the script now than Tattoo was.  

• Love 6
On 9/8/2021 at 12:19 PM, HurricaneVal said:

What I found most interesting about the fantasy was how when Nisha was "with" Savin, Josh looked more appealing to her.  Then when she was "with" Josh, Savin looked more appealing to her. 

Honestly, I thought she was seeing Savin was a much better choice regardless of who she picked, and then they kind of cheated by having him suddenly die in an accident at the end. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Honestly, I thought she was seeing Savin was a much better choice regardless of who she picked, and then they kind of cheated by having him suddenly die in an accident at the end. 

Yeah, I didn't like that she (presumably) ended up either divorced or widowed. They weren't doing "happily ever after" with either guy, but dang.

• Love 1

One thing I really appreciate about this show is how diverse the casting and storylines are.

Javier sort of looks like Mark Consuelos to me. Except taller.

Are Roselyn Sánchez's cheekbones natural or does she have fillers? Either way, she looks amazing.

I'm surprised they went there already with Elena and Javier. How is that not going to become awkward at some point since she's his boss?

• Love 2
On 9/9/2021 at 5:28 PM, mythoughtis said:

I don’t care for the 75 year old voice coming out of a 20-something throat.  That makes  no sense.  She can spout 75 year old wisdom with the appropriate sound for a 20 something voice box.  I do understand that she does have the wisdom of a  75 year old, to impart to the  clients.

I think something in the midpoint would be appropriate.  No Kardashian-esque vocal fry, but not the old lady warble.  Just a mature (as in calm, experienced, not necessarily age) sounding voice would have been fine.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:12 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm surprised they went there already with Elena and Javier. How is that not going to become awkward at some point since she's his boss?

I know the whole world has been trained to go "oooh, boss and employee dating, bad!  Sexual harassment!" but the reality is, about 1/3 of couples meet at work, and a lot of those are in a supervisor/employee work relationship.  It's not always a bad thing, we just only hear about the instances where it goes horribly wrong. 

Also, I'm not 100% sure...  Does Javier actually work for Roarke?  Is he an employee of Fantasy Island?  Or is he an independent pilot that just contracts with the island for their guests? 

And, as for the episode...  I liked this one.  The beginning was a bit frenetic, but I liked how they had somewhat parallel experiences with each of the choices.  I was disappointed to have them show them with a totally non-scientific "doctor" when Savin's a real doctor - why would he buy into that stuff that has nothing to do with fertility?  We've got enough witchdoctory going on in real life, we don't need that representation on TV normalizing it. 

I hope this does get a second season.  It's gorgeous to watch, the stories are entertaining enough, and it's just the right amount of fluff that I need right now.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I was disappointed to have them show them with a totally non-scientific "doctor" when Savin's a real doctor - why would he buy into that stuff that has nothing to do with fertility?

Me too.  However Savin did specifically mention that the IVF treatments had not been easy for them.  So I think  this non doctor visit was like a last ditch effort. Plus, remember why she married Savin. She wanted an arranged marriage to someone with a similar ethnic and cultural background. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ripple596 said:

She should marry Savin, have her kids and then after he died, get back with Josh because he was very successful in that timeline and then open a restaurant.

She gave up her career when she married Savin and didn't have any kids until later. She should have a kid with Josh without marrying him, marry Savin, get her law degree, divorce Savin before she stops her law practice, become a lawyer for Josh after he gets his app up and running, marry Josh and open a restaurant.

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, chaifan said:

I was disappointed to have them show them with a totally non-scientific "doctor" when Savin's a real doctor - why would he buy into that stuff that has nothing to do with fertility?  We've got enough witchdoctory going on in real life, we don't need that representation on TV normalizing it.

It doesn't seem out of line if one or both of them are practicing Hindus. Even if not, maybe their parents who are insisted. Either way, they showed that they were considering all options; a spiritual consultation included.

• Love 1

My one quibble with this episode is that somehow Roarke got out of the Jeep that was stuck in at least foot deep mud, yet her pants were completely clean when Javier came to "save" her.  (Props, though for at least having her have a pair of boots in the Jeep.)  She was later a bit muddied up, but nowhere near where someone would be in real life.  Maybe Roarke's fantasy is to have a white wardrobe that never gets dirty!  😁 

Did anyone else flash back to Marisa Tomei's court scene in My Cousin Vinny, explaining why just one wheel spins when a car gets stuck in the mud?  I'm no expert, but I don't think that applies to 4WD Jeeps! 

On 9/9/2021 at 4:22 PM, xander874 said:

Don’t sell Ruby short. With every episode, she’s putting herself out there, revealing her life experiences to the visitors, where she sees they apply. Although it’s sorely lacking these days, as older folks are easily dismissed as being “out of touch”, the old adage still runs true-“with age, comes wisdom” (there are exceptions-we call them “curmudgeons”, unable to accept change or compromise).   However, if you’ve lived a self-aware, thoughtful life, you tend to take the lessons with you, as Ruby seems to have done. I’m perfectly alright with her role, as she finds her new way, in her new life, with the excitement of her unknown future paired with the heartfelt experiences of her past (remember, she has no regrets-she just wonders what could have been, in another reality.) 

With age, the most valuable lesson seems to be-patience. I actually LIKE that the directors are giving her an older, slower, wiser voice. (Although, I don’t remember that same voice/heavy accent being used by the original, older actress in the first episode-they may be laying it on a little thick just to remind us.)

• Love 2

I kind of thought the island was getting this stuff from Nisha's mind, but she never met Savin, so the island would just be making him whatever Nisha wanted him to be.  I don't think the island should be omniscient.  I kept waiting for Nisha to ask how the island knows the future and for LadyRourke to say, "it doesn't know, these scenarios were how you envisioned the future."  I think that would have explained better how Josh's work tanked just because he married her and her life with Savin wasn't perfect because she wasn't fulfilling her dreams.  That a part of her knew that neither option was her best choice.

I don't care for LadyRoarke becoming besties with Ruby.  I like when she has more mystery and aloofness (while being totally sweet).

Edited by Johann