Type keyword(s) to search

RW: Hawaii (1999)

Bastet
  • Start Topic

On 6/27/2022 at 8:59 PM, SilverLake0315 said:

Amaya posted this on IG 😔

115FF446-B24D-41D0-88B4-84C94273AA2A.jpeg

I'm getting the sense that Amaya really, really wanted to do this. I haven't kept up with her, I wonder what her $$ situation is. $200k for one or two weeks is a hell of a payday for most people, I'd be pissed too if I had that almost in hand and then 2 other people changed their minds. I do understand people's reservations about reappearing on reality TV in the age of social media, but it still sucks for the others. 

And honestly, Kaia looked like such a pretentious ass the first time around, she could easily come across better just by ditching the bindi and navel gazing philosophy. Colin was mostly just a doofy 19-year-old with no real life experience, he could probably make a better showing now.

I'm shocked that Justin wasn't one of the holdouts, given the hatchet job they did on him on his way out. I'd have been really interested in how he turned out and what he had to say about his edit. 

Ruthie and Teck are the two I'm least curious about since we saw them both multiple times on challenges and we got a pretty good sense of who both of them are.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I'm shocked that Justin wasn't one of the holdouts, given the hatchet job they did on him on his way out. I'd have been really interested in how he turned out and what he had to say about his edit. 

His having had a novel published in the last year or so may have had something to do with his willingness to do a Homecoming. They'd let him plug it. I'm sure Kelley had at least a few more sales of her FLOW book from being back on television for eight weeks. I'm still planning to read Lone Stars eventually. One of these Amazon (or library) trips, its day will come. I hear it's quite good.   

Kaia did seem shell-shocked in the two reunions on which she appeared. Weren't Cynthia and Melissa from Miami talking backstage in the 2000 one about how scared she seemed?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

His having had a novel published in the last year or so may have had something to do with his willingness to do a Homecoming. They'd let him plug it. I'm sure Kelley had at least a few more sales of her FLOW book from being back on television for eight weeks. I'm still planning to read Lone Stars eventually. One of these Amazon (or library) trips, its day will come. I hear it's quite good.   

Kaia did seem shell-shocked in the two reunions on which she appeared. Weren't Cynthia and Melissa from Miami talking backstage in the 2000 one about how scared she seemed?

Are those reunions on Youtube? I have zero recollection of Kaia being on anything beyond her original season. And I don't know why, but I always assumed that Kaia was going to end up overweight someday. Something about her obsessiveness over her body at the time always gave me the impression that she was going to struggle later on. And if she doesn't look the way she did then, that could play into her reluctance to do a homecoming. But again, this is based on absolutely nothing, I haven't seen any pics of her since back then. Does she have any social media presence? 

Yeah, I can understand Justin wanting to plug his book, so disappointing that it didn't work out because he was so well-spoken even at 18, I would have loved to hear his commentary on the past and present.

On 6/30/2022 at 8:48 AM, ljenkins782 said:

I'm getting the sense that Amaya really, really wanted to do this. I haven't kept up with her, I wonder what her $$ situation is. $200k for one or two weeks is a hell of a payday for most people, I'd be pissed too if I had that almost in hand and then 2 other people changed their minds. I do understand people's reservations about reappearing on reality TV in the age of social media, but it still sucks for the others. 

And honestly, Kaia looked like such a pretentious ass the first time around, she could easily come across better just by ditching the bindi and navel gazing philosophy. Colin was mostly just a doofy 19-year-old with no real life experience, he could probably make a better showing now.

Ruthie and Teck are the two I'm least curious about since we saw them both multiple times on challenges and we got a pretty good sense of who both of them are.

I just saw Ruthie in a movie.  The Rainbow Bridge Motel (2018).

(edited)
On 7/1/2022 at 10:47 AM, ljenkins782 said:

Are those reunions on Youtube? I have zero recollection of Kaia being on anything beyond her original season.

I don't think YouTube would be helpful here. Last time I looked, only the 1996 reunion (seasons 1-4) was there.

In the 2001 special (with all of the first nine casts), I think the only part she did was the party. She really avoided the cameras. We just saw her walking in, all in black and stony-faced. Most of the arriving people were waving to the crowd, chatting with Miami Dan the emcee, and looking as if they were going to a party. And many of them were doing "confessionals" or chatting with each other or with Dan during the party. (I remember Kelley and New Orleans Melissa talking to the camera about how we should forget their pseudo-fight at the end of their season, because they were friends now.) None of that from Kaia.

In the 2000 reunion (seasons 5-8), as above, Cynthia and (Miami) Melissa talked about how stressed out Kaia seemed backstage, and Cynthia said it was too soon for the Hawaii cast to have to go through this. Melissa replied, "The first year, you're bitter. The second year, you seek professional help. The third year, you're over it!" Kaia did seem tense the whole time she was onstage. The host, Dave Holmes, asked her if she had any poetry for the audience, and she said she wouldn't read a poem because then she wouldn't have the copyright, but her poetic speech was "Speak as much truth as you can." Teck burst out laughing, and the audience joined in. She didn't seem to be in a good place with it all. She said the positive thing she got from doing the show was "having seen [her]self." 

Edited by Asp Burger