Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: What on Earth Is Wrong?

maraleia

John begins to doubt Molly's mental state when the validity of her pregnancy is questioned. Meanwhile, Ethan suffers a serious setback, and John and Julie disagree over how to care for him.

John begins to doubt Molly's mental state when the validity of her pregnancy is questioned. Meanwhile, Ethan suffers a serious setback, and John and Julie disagree over how to care for him.

Based on this episode description, it's almost like Molly was never kidnapped, taken to a ship offshore, and operated on at all.  How does she get away ? Questioning the validity of her pregnancy -- is John wondering if it's his or does he know about the aliens possible impregnating her ?  He knows about the hallucinations for sure.

Are they airing this episode out of sequence ?

I intrepreted the synopsis as yeah - they remove the alien fetus, zap Molly's memory and she and John go home (probably with Ethan). All John knew was that Molly told him that she was pregnant, but he never saw an ultrasound - he just took her word at it. They never saw the DNA results either.

I'm guessing that Molly wakes up in the woods in the morning, Ethan next to her, memory zapped. John and the dad get out of jail that morning, return home and find them. Molly soon realizes she's not pregnant, gets tested and no fetus, which is why John starts to question her because she will insist she is.

And I bet Dr. Sam will lie to Molly and claim "You were never pregnant - I don't know what you're talking about..." to protect her brother. Just my speculation.

Edited by HalcyonDays
  • Love 1

I love the title, "What on Earth Is Wrong?" since it's a play on words for something being wrong on Earth, which reminds me of when my youngest daughter came crying to me that her sister had said she didn't belong on Earth. Of course, her older sister had said, "What on Earth are you doing?"

• Love 3
I intrepreted the synopsis as yeah - they remove the alien fetus, zap Molly's memory and she and John go home (probably with Ethan). All John knew was that Molly told him that she was pregnant, but he never saw an ultrasound - he just took her word at it. They never saw the DNA results either.

You guess seems to be bang on @HalcyonDays -- saw a preview tonight and there's Molly explaining to Sam that "they took the baby".  So Molly gets off the boat and Sam gets out from Evil Ron Butterfield's grasp as well, maybe.  Or, they are both still in Yasumoto's custody, but in the same place.

If the fetus was only 14 weeks along and Molly wasn't really showing, how big could it be ?  Apparently big enough that someone on Yasumoto's team gets to exclaim -- "It's a boy".

John turns Ethan back on -- and apparently his switch has now been set to evil (a la the Krusty the Klown doll on the Simpsons), his voice is all low and menacing.

John turns Ethan back on -- and apparently his switch has now been set to evil (a la the Krusty the Klown doll on the Simpsons), his voice is all low and menacing.

Or maybe it's just that his batteries aren't fully recharged yet? You know, like when an old portable tape player is running low.
  • Love 2

Johnny Five alliiiiiive! Ethan is back. Wonder if he's 100%?

I'm glad this is moving at a fast pace while solving some mysteries but introducing others. Dr. Sam will have to decide to help Molly or her character will soon become boring.  I hope the guy who found the anomaly doesn't get hurt by showing Molly his discovery. There was an awfully lot of hall traffic during that scene. 

And Julie's legs are so much better than Aviva Drescher's!  

• Love 1

Great episode tonight. Probably the best of the season.

I wasn’t expecting them to let Molly go so soon, but then again if all they wanted from her was the alien baby it’d make sense that they’d drop her as soon as they got what they wanted from her. Then use her hallucinations as a way to make her and the others think she’s crazy like they did with Kryger.

Julie claims she wanted Ethan to go to a family that wasn’t John and Molly, but honestly I don’t think she would’ve wanted Ethan to go to anyone that wasn’t her.  I think him going to Molly and John, kind of rubbed salt in her wounds, being as it looks like she has a thing for John. I'm disappointed that Ethan so easily recovered (or did he?). I was hoping his zapping would add some much needed life to the AI story,

I thought maybe Sam would pass Molly a note, but I guess her house is not only bugged but has camera surveillance too.

Glad Molly got proof of what happened. Nice twist with them using the blood from her being bitten by the dog to run the test.

I find it hard to believe that the company would let Molly come back to work that quickly, but I’m glad she’s back, playing things a lot smarter and has already made a big discovery about what happened to her on that ship

• Love 4

Groaned when it looked like they were heading towards the "Everyone thinks Molly is crazy, including John!" story-line, but then it looks like they already have John believing her again.  I continue to appreciate how they change things up like that, and while it does go through some cliches and tropes, they avoid other ones like that.  And, Molly is already back at work and pretending to believe she was crazy all this time.  Interesting.  I'm sure Alan will keep his eye on her; I wonder if he is suspicious over her using that music box.  And Sam still playing her part of not being in the know.  I wonder if her house was under surveillance or something.

So, they take the fetus out, and it looks like it is already close to being a full-fledged baby!  I'm sure this is going to be fun!  And, we have some idea at least how she got pregnant.

So, Julie has robotic legs?  Pretty impressive stuff.  I'm still not sure what to think.  She had some good points I thought, but I still got the sense that, even if nothing bad happen, she considers herself Ethan's true mom or something, and would be against John and Molly adopting her.  We'll see where this goes, but I still suspect she could be a problem for them in the future.

• Love 1

I hope the guy who found the anomaly doesn't get hurt by showing Molly his discovery. There was an awfully lot of hall traffic during that scene.

I always worry more about those characters than anyone else - those poor hapless bastards who unknowingly seal their fate by helping the main character.  It has on occasion made me really hate the "hero" for not warning them or protecting them better. 

• Love 2

It's too bad this show has been moved to the timeslot of death because it's only getting better and better.  Several scenes had me on the edge of my seat, figuratively speaking.  

I can't decide if I'm more interested in alien baby or what Julie is going to do with Ethan.  She scares me more than the folks at ISEA and Yasumoto.  I just know that her jealousy is going to make her mess with Ethan's programming in a way that will eventually lead to the feared robot apocalypse.  She's one of those helicopter parents who do more harm than good.  

• Love 2

This show gives me whiplash.  It changes direction so fast, even within just one episode.  Some things get resolved and other problems form within the space of a few minutes.  It's kind of crazy.

I was glad that at least Julie got her feelings out there.  She may be in the wrong and may be on the verge of turning evil or something, but I thought she kind of had a point and John handled her with the usual tactless arrogance he handles anyone who disagrees with him.  They've shown him do that several times.  He should try honey a little more often instead of the vinegar he's always dishing out.

Must be nice for Julie to have such realistic-looking prosthetic legs that bend and move with her, even at the ankles and toes!  Why does she need that floaty shower seat?  Why can't she just wear these super duper legs all the time?  They have the technology to overcome all the other problems with prosthetic limbs that we have in real life in 2014 but they can't make them waterproof?!

I was disappointed not to get a smackdown on Molly's dad this week.  Also disappointed in Sam.  I hate what they did with her.

What was with that weird self-driving taxi or whatever it was?  All the characters at this point have been shown driving vehicles themselves but now all of a sudden they have a vehicle that doesn't need a driver?  Wha?

The medics that came to work on Molly and Ethan didn't notice that Ethan doesn't have a heartbeat?  They had him on the stretcher like they were ready to take him to the hospital, but apparently they didn't try to take his vital signs or anything.  Which wouldn't happen.  And then in the hospital I guess the showrunners thought it would be too gauche to have hospital patients in The Future just lie on regular beds so they had to make up that dentist chair + bed contraption for Molly.  For some reason Future people have regular beds in their homes but won't stand for a regular hospital bed in their hospitals.

• Love 3

The medics that came to work on Molly and Ethan didn't notice that Ethan doesn't have a heartbeat?

It was a quick exchange, so you might have missed it, but the medic was alarmed and said he couldn't get a heartbeat, then John pushed him away and popped open Ethan's back door, much to the shock of the medics.

Hey, everyone, I'm feeling a little bit like Molly here, when nobody believed her.

Was this thread locked last night during the episode and for a bit after it first aired?

This show is really hitting its stride. And like others have said I really like that it's not dragging out.

Can I also say how much I loved John telling Julie that she worked for him and they were not partners, I think I actually cheered at the TV. Most engaged I've been in this show since it began.

Julie really does seem to have a problem with Molly, do we know how long she's been married to John? Was Julie there first?

• Love 1

Groaned when it looked like they were heading towards the "Everyone thinks Molly is crazy, including John!" story-line, but then it looks like they already have John believing her again.  

I appreciated that too. And remembering the other "blood sample" gave Molly a chance to think like a scientist and look for evidence instead of demanding people just trust her as this trope usually goes. On the other hand, they made it look like that doctor has a private lab that only he uses -- which in a hospital or clinic setting is frankly ridiculous.

Damn. The creepy robot kid isn't dead for good. Now I hope it came back WRONG. That would be fun.

The medics that came to work on Molly and Ethan didn't notice that Ethan doesn't have a heartbeat?  They had him on the stretcher like they were ready to take him to the hospital, but apparently they didn't try to take his vital signs or anything.  Which wouldn't happen.  And then in the hospital I guess the showrunners thought it would be too gauche to have hospital patients in The Future just lie on regular beds so they had to make up that dentist chair + bed contraption for Molly.  For some reason Future people have regular beds in their homes but won't stand for a regular hospital bed in their hospitals.

I heard the EMT say she couldn't detect any vital signs.

I liked the futuristic hospital bed. I figure it was a diagnostic bed of some kind with sensors that a regular bed wouldn't have. Whose to say hospitals won't adopt a tech like that in the future?

What was with that weird self-driving taxi or whatever it was?  All the characters at this point have been shown driving vehicles themselves but now all of a sudden they have a vehicle that doesn't need a driver?  Wha?

Autonomous vehicles are being developed now, including the self-driving car. Google has one, the Army has been demonstrating autonomous convoys for wary zones. Molly asked her husband why he didn't put the car on autopilot (in the bad weather flashback) and he said he enjoyed driving. I could see that happening -- some people like to drive, some don't. My husband is more worried about plane crashes than car crashes, despite the odds being much higher for cars, because he says the car is in his control.

Julie's robot legs were cool, as was her shower hovercraft thingie. Loved that scene.

I think this show is doing a better job at showing future tech than a lot of others, such as "Almost Human." I like that it's shown with regular people in a world not much different from ours, because I don't think that just because we get one new tech (say, an iPad) that suddenly everything would turn white and stainless steel, and our homes stop using natural fibers and fabrics (albeit pastel ones!). People still have cabins in the woods, dive bars, regular office buildings, bathrooms -- with a few new touches like hoverboards and better computer-screen interfaces.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 4

Autonomous vehicles are being developed now, including the self-driving car. Google has one, the Army has been demonstrating autonomous convoys for wary zones. Molly asked her husband why he didn't put the car on autopilot (in the bad weather flashback) and he said he enjoyed driving. I could see that happening -- some people like to drive, some don't. My husband is more worried about plane crashes than car crashes, despite the odds being much higher for cars, because he says the car is in his control.

I know that kind of car is being developed, but they just chose an odd moment to show that they had it.  Everyone up to this point has driven the car themselves and now all of a sudden a few episodes in they show that their cars have a self-driving feature.  I think I would have been more receptive to it if they'd shown it in the first episode.

I did miss that they said they didn't get vital signs on Ethan.  They should have been calling a code for that.  Everyone was just standing around in a sedate manner pretty much.  And John shoved Ethan onto his side, then left him like that to tend to Molly.

Edited by Blue Plastic

My husband is more worried about plane crashes than car crashes, despite the odds being much higher for cars, because he says the car is in his control.

Planes are only statistically safer as a group because there are rules setting a minimum standard for the condition of the plane and pilot. It's safer to be with a good driver in a well-maintained car than on a flight picked at random. Self-driving cars promise to take over for the folks who don't belong behind the wheel and flip the statistics.

Really good episode and this show wrote their main character being smart as they wrote all the characters being smart.  Her playing along and the bad guys still not sure she's telling the truth.   Better than some shows who write all their characters doing stupid things.  Hello Under the Dome.

Planes are only statistically safer as a group because there are rules setting a minimum standard for the condition of the plane and pilot. It's safer to be with a good driver in a well-maintained car than on a flight picked at random. Self-driving cars promise to take over for the folks who don't belong behind the wheel and flip the statistics.

Don't think so.  Planes are much safer because they are fewer of them.  Millions of cars on the roads.  Not close to that many planes.

• Love 1

I know that kind of car is being developed, but they just chose an odd moment to show that they had it.  Everyone up to this point has driven the car themselves and now all of a sudden a few episodes in they show that their cars have a self-driving feature.  I think I would have been more receptive to it if they'd shown it in the first episode.

They used it in the pilot also, I believe.  I noticed they both got into the back seat.  I think it's pretty cool.  They test drove a driverless car here in Tampa the other day, too.

About the episode title, didn't Sam say a line to Molly during their confrontation about the trouble being "on earth" or something? Anyone catch it? I thought Sam was trying to telegraph to Molly that she couldn't say more. Sam also said something about getting far away, didn't she? Which would be like when she told Molly to get out of the car.

I'm really starting to enjoy this show. I thought they were biting off more than they could chew in the pilot but it does seem to be finding its feet and seemingly moving things along without revealing too much. I'm hoping they can keep it up for a while.

The husband however is stupid. You don't act like an ass to the employee that helped build your robot boy especially since she seems to be integral to the robot boy's maintenance. Criticising her for being annoyed that your exposing your prototype to unnecessary risk by getting emotionally involved is stupid. Leaving her in a room alone with the robot boy after you've told her she's merely an employee. *sigh* The husband is annoying. Though I'll give him some credit for being a semi useful decoy. Of course if he simply asked the doctor to come with him to a hospital room it would have been way less suspicious. 

• Love 1

I wondered, too, whether it wouldn't be simpler and more efficient to give Julie waterproof robo-legs. But I then decided I'd rather just wear the cool hover-chair around. If I can't have a flying car, I'd at least want a hoverboard.

But at least there are self-driving cars. That's more like it!

I liked the pace of the episode better, and I agree that it's nice to see Molly the Pretend Astronaut at least starting to think critically. And, yeah -- "John Woods" didn't really respond to Miss Gummer's reasonable objections very responsibly; is "You're not the boss of me" really the best he can do?

I also thought Doctor Sam tried to tell "John Woods" as much as she could, given that her house probably is bugged, after all.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

If Ethan wasn't a child, "popped open Ethan's back door, much to the shock of the medics" would have a whole 'nother meaning!

I was really hoping John was going to pop Sam in the face.  Such a great "friend" she was.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2

I don’t hate Sam. She really loves her brother and when Sparks was saying something like "he’s in a delicate stage of his recovery" it sounded like he was threatening to do something more sinister to him than having him thrown in jail.

But I don’t get it. Sparks himself confirmed the pregnancy to Molly. Does he want her to think she just hallucinated that?

• Love 1

But I don’t get it. Sparks himself confirmed the pregnancy to Molly. Does he want her to think she just hallucinated that?

Sure he does. She already conceded that she was hallucinating when she saw the brother the night of her party. That's why she called him and agreed to accept his help. So it's not that big of a leap for him to claim she hallucinated the conversation with him about the pregnancy.

There was never a conspiracy to experiment on astronauts, that was just a cover story. That's why it wasn't so strange for Sam to do the re-entry exam. Molly was never conspired against. It was the aliens who dragged her into the mess and ISEA etc. only found out afterward I think.

There are a number of soldier types who just take orders no matter what, but the number of people truly aware of the alien cover up and exploitation plot is, from what we've seen, rather small. And this is especially true if Sparks has to spy on Molly personally. 

• Love 1

Sure he does. She already conceded that she was hallucinating when she saw the brother the night of her party. That's why she called him and agreed to accept his help. So it's not that big of a leap for him to claim she hallucinated the conversation with him about the pregnancy.

Was it just me, or did a significant scene seem to be missing around this issue? Molly and Sparks had multiple conversations about the pregnancy. Wouldn't they have a conversation after she left the hospital, in which he explained to her that she had hallucinated all of that (or he was just going along with her delusion until he got her help, or whatever his story is) and she pretended to accept this story? How would Sparks know that Molly was now accepting that she had made up of the pregnancy? When they had their conversation at ISEA, it was like it had all been discussed previously.

Why is this no longer on Amazon Streaming? First five episodes, then nada. And On demand only has through episode six. What's up? I just got to liking the show in episode 4.  

Edited by GoRunner

I was fully prepared to be bored by this show (been burned by way too many sci fi series, despite my love of the genre) but I really like this. I am always interested in "20 minutes into the future" settings, where its clearly the future, with future tech, but we aren't living on space ships, and its still recognizably "our" world. It seems like the writers actually thought about the sort of technology we might have in the future, and I always appreciate when a writer actually thinks!  The characters are growing on me, and while I have never been a huge Halle Berry fan, I think she's doing a good job here. I need to catch up ASAP!  

This show is getting really good. I marathon watched all the episodes. I like that John is on boar with his wife and not on the "You're crazy and if you don't stop, I'm going to have you committed train." I also like that Molly is showing some smarts in regard to what is happening to her. I'm glad that Molly has started to warm to Ethan and acknowledges that she is now starting to see him as a little boy. I'm on the John/Molly/Ethan train and hope they come out on top and together as a stronger and happier family unit.

My concern is that because it started off slow and predictable. It lost a lot of its audience that tuned in for HB and SS. Hearing that the show has been moved to a later time slot is not encouraging. I hope that CBS will take a chance and give it a second season.

• Love 1