Type keyword(s) to search

Cinderella (2021)

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

Cinderella is a 2021 romantic musical film based on the fairy tale of the same name by Charles Perrault. Written and directed by Kay Cannon, it stars singer Camila Cabello as the title character in her acting debut, alongside Idina Menzel, Minnie Driver, Nicholas Galitzine, Billy Porter, and Pierce Brosnan.

This is streaming on Amazon and premiered Friday September 3rd. 

I love fairytales (not just Disney versions) so I was excited for this. I thought the concept was strong- a pop song musical Cinderella. The costume design and cinematography were gorgeous; we all know Idina Menzel and Billy Porter brought their A Game, BUT…..

The leads were not strong enough to make it work. I understand not everyone is a strong singer, but Camilla Cabello (Cinderella) was way out of her depth with the material and Nicholas Galitzine (Prince Robert) couldn’t sing at all.

I liked the idea of Cinderella being a clothing designer, but I won’t be watching this version again. If I want to watch a non musical version Id watch the 2015 Disney Live Action Cinderella, if I wanted something more “grounded” I would watch Ever After .

I have to give a special nod to James Corden who was very funny. The supporting cast was good, but they couldn’t save it. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

My expectations were low - subterranean level - so I was pleasantly surprised by it.   It came across like a super-sized episode of "Glee" and while not completely terrible I do think the film would have been served by better leads because there were glimmers of wit in the script but Cabello and Galitzine just didn't service the lines well.  I agree the supporting actors were good (of course people hate on James Corden for just existing but I liked his bits). 

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, AngieBee1 said:

My expectations were low - subterranean level - so I was pleasantly surprised by it.   It came across like a super-sized episode of "Glee" and while not completely terrible I do think the film would have been served by better leads because there were glimmers of wit in the script but Cabello and Galitzine just didn't service the lines well.  I agree the supporting actors were good (of course people hate on James Corden for just existing but I liked his bits). 

I agree. The choreography was great and I LOVED the costume design for all the women of various ethnic groups singing “What A Man”. The town crier even had more charisma than Prince Robert. I could tell Camilla Cabello was TRYING (more than Galitzine was) but nope they didn’t service the lines well. 

• Love 2

I had zero expectations so enjoyed this for what it was.  The prince really was out of his depth but what can you do.  I loved the costumes and the soundtrack.  At least they acknowledged Pierce Brosnan's horrible "singing".

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, jah1986 said:

At least they acknowledged Pierce Brosnan's horrible "singing".

This. Him serenading a mortified Minnie Driver redeemed the entire movie.

13 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

I do think the film would have been served by better leads because there were glimmers of wit in the script but Cabello and Galitzine just didn't service the lines well.

I actually thought the script was part of the problem. They tried to throw in witty lines, but they were very heavy handed and out of place, and sort of derailed the scenes. The progressive dialogue only worked between the King and the Princess, in my opinion. I was actually surprised by Camila Cabello's performance. I thought she had a natural charm, even though she didn't land all of her lines.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, BetterButter said:

This has to be because of trolling. It HAS to be.

I get that some people liked this for what it was. But IMHO there were tons of Cinderellas that were way better: both Disney versions, the Brandy one, Ever After, Ella Enchanted…this one was only marginally better than those insipid A Cinderella Story movies.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2
On 2/23/2022 at 2:11 PM, absnow54 said:

I feel like there are much more popular contenders for trolling the award this year. Who is the frontrunner for the Razzie this year?

I’m shocked this apparently didn’t get any Razzie nominations. And this after they actually let Pierce Brosnan sing—a self-parody of his horrible voice, yes, but he still sings.

And on a shallow note, I hate how the movie takes the Reign approach by having prom dress ball gowns in a supposedly medieval kingdom.  Even her ballgown didn’t work: the bodice and sleeves were lovely, but the skirt was too stiff with the hip padding and the flowers attached to the butt. 

Billy Porter deserved a better movie as the godmother. His dress was way better.