Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Sting

• Start Topic

I hate that it's midnight pacific.  I could watch midnight my time but not 2 a.m. on a work night.

And it just goes to show how much I love this show that I'm considering whether or not I can watch it when it immediately drops.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I hate that it's midnight pacific.  I could watch midnight my time but not 2 a.m. on a work night.

And it just goes to show how much I love this show that I'm considering whether or not I can watch it when it immediately drops.

Are we sure? When I log into Hulu here on the east coast, it just says "Sept. 7   12 a.m." not PDT or anything.
Not that I think you should watch it at midnight on a work night either! </Mom>

• LOL 6
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Are we sure? When I log into Hulu here on the east coast, it just says "Sept. 7   12 a.m." not PDT or anything.

Thanks for the advice, mom!  (I can't help it...I am a night owl.)

Google tells me that's when they drop the next episode.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Thanks for the advice, mom!  (I can't help it...I am a night owl.)

Google tells me that's when they drop the next episode.

I'm tempted to peek at midnight, but then I'd watch and I have to get up at 5:15 to get ready for work.  Woe is me. 🤭

ETA: This article says 3 a.m. ET.  Woe is me for real! 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 1

The cat picture was funny.

They should have let Oliver's son analyze to powder on the floor by the dog, the dog, and the cat leg, to see if there are any connections.  Oliver's son was the right age to know about The Hardy Boys and their evil shenanigans.

Sting seemed like a nice guy, his assistant not so much. Why would Sting have to personally fire Tim Kono unless Tim Kono was directly liaising with Sting on behalf of his firm.

It is interesting that Charles doesn't miss his ex-girlfriend, he misses the daughter of his ex-girlfriend, Lucy. I wonder if Lucy was the right age to know about The Hardy Boys and their evil shenanigans. 

They are going to keep introducing young people around Mabel's age, and one of them is going to be the killer.

I thought the Loony Toons characters hallucinations were a little much although I laughed at the carrot crunching sounds. Did Bassoonist Lady make a "furry" joke?

Is everything we are seeing in the past, and the Podcast Lady is telling/showing us what happened? If so, when the murderer is finally revealed, she could have been wrong and some new revelation might come to light, suggesting a new solution.

It could have been funnier and moved through the suspects a little faster, there is an entire building to eliminate and we barely know any of the tenants.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Is everything we are seeing in the past, and the Podcast Lady is telling/showing us what happened?

I assumed podcaster Cinda Canning (Tina Fey) making a new podcast about the intrepid trio of true crime podcasters Charles, Mabel, and Oliver was sort of a double cross because she's going to be doing it better than they can, and nobody will now listen to them.
But your idea probably makes more sense.

Did we even know Tina Fey was in this before this episode? 

At the beginning of the episode flashback, Tim Kono tells Mabel "If you see me in the building, act like we've never met" or something like that.
Was that line in last week's flashback too?

I should probably re-watch them all this week. If I have time.

I'm glad Sting is not a cold blooded killer.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The cat picture was funny.

They should have let Oliver's son analyze to powder on the floor by the dog, the dog, and the cat leg, to see if there are any connections.  Oliver's son was the right age to know about The Hardy Boys and their evil shenanigans.

Sting seemed like a nice guy, his assistant not so much. Why would Sting have to personally fire Tim Kono unless Tim Kono was directly liaising with Sting on behalf of his firm.

It is interesting that Charles doesn't miss his ex-girlfriend, he misses the daughter of his ex-girlfriend, Lucy. I wonder if Lucy was the right age to know about The Hardy Boys and their evil shenanigans. 

They are going to keep introducing young people around Mabel's age, and one of them is going to be the killer.

I thought the Loony Toons characters hallucinations were a little much although I laughed at the carrot crunching sounds. Did Bassoonist Lady make a "furry" joke?

Is everything we are seeing in the past, and the Podcast Lady is telling/showing us what happened? If so, when the murderer is finally revealed, she could have been wrong and some new revelation might come to light, suggesting a new solution.

It could have been funnier and moved through the suspects a little faster, there is an entire building to eliminate and we barely know any of the tenants.

I thought Charles said that Lucy was six or seven when they moved in together and they were together for six years? Wouldn't that make her too young for that group? But I'm worried about Oliver's son, now. 

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I assumed podcaster Cinda Canning (Tina Fey) making a new podcast about the intrepid trio of true crime podcasters Charles, Mabel, and Oliver was sort of a double cross because she's going to be doing it better than they can, and nobody will now listen to them.
But your idea probably makes more sense.

Yes, she was shown in a previous episode pretty clearly. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I still have to rewatch after morning turkey, but these are thoughts that I had/can remember.

1 hour ago, Turtle Wexler said:

I don't like that he felt he needed to tell Jan his story as a way of apologizing to her for not telling her at dinner. I mean, I get that we are supposed to be rubbed the wrong way by her pushiness; the show is all about storytelling and the ways that we share/hide/communally tell stories to/with others, but still. Ick.   

I totally agree with you that no one needs to do this, but if Sting tells you that a building feels like guilt, it hits you where it counts.

Is Rod Stewart a common tune to learn on your bassoon and accordian type instrument? (I can't think of the name]

I know it's just an issue of time, but it took Jan like 15 seconds to get from her place across the courtyard to Charles' place. Do we know what floor Jan lives on? It's below 1O cause she got on the elevator after the group. Just curious. I can only hope there's some kind of secret passage. J/K

ETA: We live in a world where most of us lock our doors, but it made me sad when after what happened to Winnie Oliver started locking his door. That is a hard lesson learned.

Edited by grandmabegum
Winnie thoughts
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

I'm not sure I like the idea of Cindy Canning doing a podcast a few months later called "Only Murderers in the Building." For me that cast a pall on the series. I'm going to watch this all the way through, because I'm hooked, but I'm going to be super upset if Canning steals their thunder and gets another $30 million for it. 

Or if they all get murdered. 😲 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't know whether it is a reference to their being 2 murderers in just Tim's case or if it means they also solve Zoe's murder and there were 2 separate murderers or, hell, why not both, but Cinda's podcast is called Only MurdererS in the Building.

Edited by grandmabegum
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, cardigirl said:

I'm not sure I like the idea of Cindy Canning doing a podcast a few months later called "Only Murderers in the Building." For me that cast a pall on the series. I'm going to watch this all the way through, because I'm hooked, but I'm going to be super upset if Canning steals their thunder and gets another $30 million for it. 

my guess is that scene will be around episode 7 or 8 and we'll still have 2 more episodes to find the real killer(s).

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

I too do not want Liz Lemon Cindy Canning to steel our heroes' podcast story.
Did you notice the last name "Canning" is the same as Michael J. Fox's character's on The Good Wife? Louis Canning was a real double dealer, so if that character is the namesake for Cindy Canning, it does not bode well for our trio's creative endeavor, which would make me sad.

• Love 5

Finally someone connected Mabel to The Hardy Boys, and now we know about Lucy! I had it in my mind that Will had grown up with his mother in the suburbs -- never thought about him living in the building or spending a lot of time with his Dad there. (His mother is the woman at the dinner party with Nathan Lane when Oliver announced he wanted a pool for "Splash"?)

I thought Cinda's podcast would be a different take on the murders -- it wouldn't be so much about the murders themselves, but about the trio's amateur investigation and how they pieced together evidence to solve the murders.

Do we know the woman in the orange jumpsuit standing in the window during the closing credits?

Edited by Kiddvideo
eta: Removed speculation
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

(His mother is the woman at the dinner party with Nathan Lane when Oliver announced he wanted a pool for "Splash"?)

Do we know the woman in the orange jumpsuit standing in the window during the closing credits?

I would assume that's the mother. When talking to Charles about Splash/Splat, he mentions that it broke his family up.

Do we know when Splash went Splat? Cause I had a thought about why Charles and Oliver didn't know about the murder. I believe it's okay to post it here as it's in the past, but please flag me and remove if I'm wrong. What if the failure of Splash and Emma/Lucy leaving happened around the time of Zoe's death. During that time both Oliver and Charles would both be even more distracted (and grief stricken] than usual and maybe just didn't pay attention to it?

Again, please flag me if this is inappropriate.

• Love 2

I think it's worth pointing out that the groups podcast is called "Only MURDERS in the Building" - and Canning's is called "Only MurderERS in the Building."  That is a big difference, and is an important clue.

LOVING this show.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, Slider said:

I think it's worth pointing out that the groups podcast is called "Only MURDERS in the Building" - and Canning's is called "Only MurderERS in the Building."  That is a big difference, and is an important clue.

LOVING this show.

Of course it is but ... she's still totally STEALING THEIR IDEA. 

I absolutely caught that her title is different from the title of the show and our trio's podcast that they talk to her about, however, it's irksome to me that she's podcasting about them at some future date.  😠

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

I absolutely caught that her title is different from the title of the show and our trio's podcast that they talk to her about, however, it's irksome to me that she's podcasting about them at some future date.  😠

Right, but I think that's the point.  Maybe she's podcasting about them, and not what they were podcasting about.  Remember how the show started?  Cops busting into the Arconia, the guys on the run to get Mabel, who is covered in blood over a body...  I'm not saying they are murderers, but that might be a storyline for a season 2... 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, cardigirl said:
24 minutes ago, Slider said:

LOVING this show.

Expand  

Yes. To me Canning’s “Murderers” instead of “Murders” was immediately an obvious indication that she stole their idea legally by changing the name, which outraged me too, @cardigirl. 😡

But, ever the optimist (hah! not IRL) I’m hoping the name change —while still done to prevent copyright infringement— was also a means of salvaging a failing project and giving the trio some nice residuals in their bank accounts, and perhaps a bit of fame to cash in on via future deals.

But that all still seems like crumbs for our intrepid heroes, while Canning eats cake. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, grandmabegum said:

And please believe me when I say I am not doing this to be a jerk about it, but just so you can be as annoyed about it as I am. Her name is CindA, not CindY.

Please refer to her however you wish. We all know who you're talking about.

Thanks.  And okay. ;) 

Sting starts to say "Don't I know you from somewhere?" and Charles immediately jumps to Brazzo's. The same sort of thing happens with Mabel in the pilot but Oliver interrupts. I don't think they're talking about Brazzo's and they aren't referring to the just seeing him around the building. Please let this be something that does get revealed. I don't care if it's something like he had to take a job bagging groceries or being a clown at children's birthday parties. Just let it be something.

The nod to Serial about being sponsored by Squarespace made me chuckle.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Honestly, until the title card of the first episode, I thought this show was called Only Murderers in the Building.  LOL.  

And now I can easily imagine someone in the writers' room tossing that out and it winding up in this episode, especially since Steve Martin is one of the writers.

33 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Okay so weird question: do NYC apartments not have window screens? Is that a tv thing or a real life thing? All I could think of is how so these people not keep flying bugs and birds out???

From what I remember they do not, but the friends that I visited there may have removed them cause there was a lot of time spent hanging out on the fire escape.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Oh, totally. I laughed hard at it, but then thought, "wait, this can't just be a song that people who play music know off the top of their heads." But, as I said, I don't play an instrument so I have zero idea how quickly people can pick things up. I do highly enjoy when musicians play a song in another style whether it's modern music on classical instruments or classical music on electric guitars.

I'm now drifting into the small talk category. Sorry.

1 hour ago, callie lee 29 said:

Okay so weird question: do NYC apartments not have window screens? Is that a tv thing or a real life thing? All I could think of is how so these people not keep flying bugs and birds out???

Some do, some don’t. I didn’t have screens on my bedroom windows in my previous apartment, and the ones in the living room could be pushed up with the window pane to completely open the window. My current apt has small 6” collapsible ones. 

I am really enjoying this show so far! It’s just the right mixture of comedy and seriousness. I have to say they got me with Lucy being the child of his ex, and not the ex herself! That was a surprise. 

(I used to walk past the building used for the Arconia every day, it’s very cool to see what the inner courtyard actually looks like. That apartment building takes up a full city block!)

• Love 5

I didn't think they would go there but I'm happy Winnie is okay.  I like the touch that it's Oliver's son who knew about Mabel and Tim because he's more in their age group.

The bits with Sting turned out funnier than I thought they'd be.  No doubt Steve Martin wrote the Tim Kono song.

Charles asking "can we sit quietly" after social interaction made me feel seen.  I'm somewhat forgiving of Jan's reaction to him at the restaurant.  It's not just that he didn't share anything about himself.  He was obviously lying and worried about sharing his 'red flags.'

8 hours ago, grandmabegum said:

What if the failure of Splash and Emma/Lucy leaving happened around the time of Zoe's death.

My understanding of the time line is that Zoe's death was roughly ten or eleven years ago.  I think the flashback producer discussion about Splash was in 2005, so I assuming Oliver's downfall happened within a year, it probably was not a factor in him not remembering.  As far as when Charles's break-up with Emma happened, that's hard to guess.  It's certainly fresh to him, or at lease the loss of Lucy is.  It sounds like he was a father figure from age 7 to 13.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I love Charles' neighbour who kindly set up the meeting with Cinda and updates him re Lucy. It's a small part (so far) but he feels so fully human. 

Halfway through I concluded that Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig were there to reveal to us that Charles was "looney tunes". The explanation about missing Lucy was much sweeter. 

As a Canadian of a certain age, my first thought on hearing the oboe start to play was that was one of the themes of Gilmour's Albums. I had to look it up to find the actual name of the piece. Their little musical conversation was fun and suitable since Charles seems to find it difficult to talk easily.

I laughed out loud at Oliver's text (inappropriately signed "love, Oliver") and when he burst in and announced that they were going with the turkey idea for Sting. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

She was in the first episode when they were listening to the Oklahoma podcast.  She was in the recreation of the scene.

9 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Finally someone connected Mabel to The Hardy Boys, and now we know about Lucy! I had it in my mind that Will had grown up with his mother in the suburbs -- never thought about him living in the building or spending a lot of time with his Dad there. (His mother is the woman at the dinner party with Nathan Lane when Oliver announced he wanted a pool for "Splash"?

I don't think Oliver's marriage broke up until Splash went Splat. Oliver kept talking like it was a long time ago but we saw in his conversation with Nathan Lane that it happened when Oliver was close to 60 so I think his son grew up in NYC. It'd make sense that Will is more aware of Mabel and those kids than Oliver and Charles but I would think they would remember Mabel's friend falling from the building.  I can buy they wouldn't know the kids in the building but I find it hard to believe someone dying in that way without them knowing.

8 hours ago, grandmabegum said:

Please refer to her however you wish. We all know who you're talking about.

Do we?  Cinda's assistant is Cindy.  (I mean, yeah we do but I thought that name thing was hilarious.)

7 hours ago, grandmabegum said:

The nod to Serial about being sponsored by Squarespace made me chuckle.

I think every podcast is sponsored by Squarespace.

3 hours ago, grandmabegum said:

Oh, totally. I laughed hard at it, but then thought, "wait, this can't just be a song that people who play music know off the top of their heads."

I think some musicians can just play songs as long as they know them and what notes they need to hit.  I loved that scene, though. 

1 hour ago, MisterGlass said:

I'm somewhat forgiving of Jan's reaction to him at the restaurant.  It's not just that he didn't share anything about himself.  He was obviously lying and worried about sharing his 'red flags.'

I liked the touch of him clasping his hands once she asked him about his story after she had mentioned that people don't trust people with clasped hands.

4 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I laughed out loud at Oliver's text (inappropriately signed "love, Oliver") and when he burst in and announced that they were going with the turkey idea for Sting. 

I loved both of those moments too. I also laughed at the very end when he put the big microphone in his son's face to record what he was revealing about Mabel knowing Tim Kono.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

You know, I can kind of see the turkey logic.  If someone did randomly show up with a fully cooked turkey as a gift, I might find it weird, but I wouldn't suspect anything nefarious like trying to record me as a suspect for their new murder podcast!

Sting definitely was having fun playing a "variation" of himself here, but it looks like he is off the hook for murder, since while he did fire Tim, he actually did think he committed suicide, and had felt guilty about it.  Of course, you never know!

Not quite sure what to make of Jan yet, but I'm always down for Amy Ryan awesomeness!  I was mixed on how the first date played out.  I don't think Charles necessarily "owed" Jan to tell his life story if he wasn't comfortable with it, but I think the issue was that instead of just saying "Hey, I'm not ready for that step", he felt the need to blatantly dodge and dismiss it in such a phony way.  At least he seems to have opened up now, but I suspect there will be going on her.  Have to imagine this Lucy will factor in as well.

After focusing more on Mabel's relationship with Charles, it was fun seeing more Oliver/Mabel interactions this go around.  Especially got a kick of how Martin Short and Selena Gomez reacted to Charles' awkwardness with Jan.

Looks like Cinda/Tina Fey might be a big player going forward!  Not sure if that final scene is her stealing their podcast idea or is she going to somehow try and claim they are the murderers (possibly related to Mabel with that dead body in the first episode?)  

Uh oh!  Charles and Oliver discover Mabel's connection to Tim from someone else!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think every podcast is sponsored by Squarespace.

I did not know that. Serial is one of the few podcasts I've listened to and it was sponsored by MailChimp. After listening to a podcast about murder the word MailChimp was extra hilarious.

59 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

You know, I can kind of see the turkey logic.  If someone did randomly show up with a fully cooked turkey as a gift, I might find it weird, but I wouldn't suspect anything nefarious like trying to record me as a suspect for their new murder podcast!

If anyone shows up at my house with a turkey, day or night, I am accepting that bird. All 19 pounds of it. No questions asked.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Looks like Cinda/Tina Fey might be a big player going forward!  Not sure if that final scene is her stealing their podcast idea or is she going to somehow try and claim they are the murderers (possibly related to Mabel with that dead body in the first episode?)

Reading this and other posts above, including:

5 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

…I concluded that Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig were there to reveal to us that Charles was "looney tunes". The explanation about missing Lucy was much sweeter.…

…and being reminded of details and how they seem to fit together, I started considering that one of the 3 main characters could be a “Murderer in the Building” (©️Cinda Canning). But that would be a major plot twist with huge implications for any future seasons of the show. 

15 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Honestly, until the title card of the first episode, I thought this show was called Only Murderers in the Building.  LOL.  

Glad I’m not the only one!

• Love 1

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Reading this and other posts above, including:

…and being reminded of details and how they seem to fit together, I started considering that one of the 3 main characters could be a “Murderer in the Building” (©️Cinda Canning). But that would be a major plot twist with huge implications for any future seasons of the show. 

That's what I assumed the title meant. Cinda is doing a podcast about how 1 or more of Mabel/Charlie/Oliver is now, at least, suspected of being a murderer. I thought that was the big reveal. I'm surprised that others didn't see it that way. We also have the very first scene where Mabel is over a dead body with blood all over her so I was always assuming their investigating would lead to another murder.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

That's what I assumed the title meant. Cinda is doing a podcast about how 1 or more of Mabel/Charlie/Oliver is now, at least, suspected of being a murderer. I thought that was the big reveal. I'm surprised that others didn't see it that way. We also have the very first scene where Mabel is over a dead body with blood all over her so I was always assuming their investigating would lead to another murder.

Hmmmm....?🤔 "Murderers in the Building." Does Cinda Canning live in the building?

FUN FACT! I don't know why I decided to look it up, but I googled "Steve Martin Looney Toons" and sure as shooting he is actually in a Looney Toons movie. It's called "Looney Toons: Back in Action." From the trailer Martin is the villain and dislikes Bugs and all the toons. Sadly Porky is not in the trailer so who knows how he fits in. I will not be taking one for the team and watching this to see if there are any further Easter Eggs, but I thought it was interesting.

Edited by grandmabegum
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

My first thought about Only Murderers in the Building was that one or more of the main three are suspected of murder or that there are multiple killers in play. Which makes sense, as there have been two presumably unsolved murders, Tim Kono now and Zoey in the past, assuming that the same person didn't kill both of them. Of course Cinda's podcast is sponsored by Squarespace, they sponsor so many podcasts that I can practically list all of their information by memory. 

I figured that Lucy was Charles ex wife or girlfriend, not the daughter of his ex who he was close with, so kudos to the show for keeping me guessing. I like Jan pretty well so far, but as of now I don't fully trust anyone from the building. Didn't you hear? There are only murderers in there!

Oliver sticking his giant boom mic in his sons face after he revealed that Mabel knew Tim Kono really cracked me up. The combination of the serious crime and character stuff and the humor is really working for me.

• Like 2
  • Love 14

I keep hoping the Cinda podcast is after she purchased their story from them with some of her $30 million dollars and now they are living large......

The "Love Oliver" text cracked me up. I am glad the dog is ok.

"We're going with the turkey". "Embrace the Mess". Loved it!

I knew there was no way someone wouldn't spill the beans on Mabel. I liked the way they did it - it's believable that the son would remember the kids. I still think it's not completely believable that they don't remember the girl who was pushed off the roof and died though.

The awkwardness of Steve Martin at that date was fantastic. I cracked up when he couldn't figure out what to do with his hands after her comment about the clasped hands being untrustworthy. His comment about dating Jesus was so cringey and hilarious.

Sting singing about Tim Kono was everything. I love this show!

• Love 4

That photo in the first post says that Bunny Folger lives in Apartment 12A. That used to be Mabel's Aunt's apartment (in the Episode 2 flashback at the fountain, 10-year-old Tim Kono says that the Ramirez aunt lives in 12A). That is also where the package with the diamond ring ended up at first, instead of going to Tim.

• Useful 13
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

That photo in the first post says that Bunny Folger lives in Apartment 12A. That used to be Mabel's Aunt's apartment (in the Episode 2 flashback at the fountain, 10-year-old Tim Kono says that the Ramirez aunt lives in 12A). That is also where the package with the diamond ring ended up at first, instead of going to Tim.

Then in whose gutted apartment is Mabel living?!?

Edited by Kiddvideo
ETA: needed more punctuation
  • Useful 3