Type keyword(s) to search

Fox News Channel: They're Crazy Like a.....(Vaulted)

I had an almost entirely Fox News free vacation for 2 weeks. It was wonderful. Only back to say "lol" at Kirsten Powers' face tonight on O'Reilly. The forced smile, the skeptical narrowing of the eyes... It was really like sitting there while your uncle lectures and mansplains at you over a family dinner even though he only has a facile and rudimentary understanding of the issues and argues using exaggerations and false rhetoric. It's in moments like that when Powers almost looks more pitying than exasperated that O'Reilly seems the most pathetic in spite of his height and all his bluster. Sure, he's still dangerous, just as Trump is, because of his platform, his wealth, his public support, etc. But still a bit sad.

• Love 1

Why do people let Mike Huckabee talk? Hilary Clinton is the queen of fraud. She should not be criticizing Trump on Trump University because she's the queen of fraud. That's like Peewee Herman lecturing James Bond on masculinity. Um... no. You're doing it wrong. Regardless of how you feel about Hilary or Trump, Huckabee makes no sense.

And now he's talking about baseball. Shut up, shut up, shut up. Stop giving this idiot a platform, Fox News.

• Love 4

Oh God. I can't deal with O'Reilly whining about his book not being #1 on the NYT's bestseller list. Big baby.

This is a super important, timely, and relevant issue. That's why he's never brought it up until he couldn't brag about his book being #1.

Fox News has been on fairly consistently (except for the Tony Awards... and whenever I control the remote) so I've seen a lot of their coverage of the horrible tragedy in Orlando. From the start, they de-emphasized the fact that it was a gay nightclub and watching O'Reilly tonight, I wouldn't even know.

Trump is an idiot. Nothing new. He thinks he's more popular with the gay community than Hillary Clinton. Also, he's really not one to talk about how Muslims supposedly hate women as a blanket generalization. It's amazing how all these anti-feminist, anti-Clinton, anti-Warren, anti-reproductive rights, anti-birth control pundits and politicians are suddenly so concerned about how women are treated when talking about radical Islamic jihadist terrorism... don't even get me started on Trump's nonsense about how Clinton wasn't specific enough in the words he wanted her to say. Excuse you. What makes you think you can dictate the terms of this conversation?

I did enjoy O'Reilly lecturing Trump like he was the dumbest student in the class.

• Love 7

Another day another rando on Lou Dobbs ranting about how a "shrieking" Elizabeth Warren, among other loaded words used...

I feel like Kirsten Powers might be out soon. She's too sensible on O'Reilly. He's doing a poor job of refuting her logic.

• Love 1

I don't get how you could be taken in by O'Reilly. He's so obvious.

Look, I am not casting aspersions on the FBI's investigation. I am just saying that you could see it as a matter of politics. I'm just saying people might be upset about it. I'm just pointing out that many Americans will continue to believe Hillary Clinton is a dirty, stinking negligent liar and Obama told the FBI not to sentence her to life in prison like she deserves. But I'm fair and balanced because look at all the legal logic I barely acknowledged and then stomped all over. I'm not responsible for what people choose to take away from my Talking Points.

(edited)

Soooo....Gretchen.... is this why Hasselbeck left abruptly?  Is this why Megyn Kelly has succeeded? Questions, questions... 

What allows men to think this is still acceptable.  Can't wait for the rest of the dirt to come out, and for Trump's defense of his buddy.

Edited by Janc
more to say
  • Love 1

I used to occasionally tune into Fox & Friends way back when ED Donahay/Hill was on, and lost interest after she left.  At the time she left, I heard the rumor was due to Brian Kilmeade.  She was also given a mid-afternoon show and then soon disappeared.  I hate to say it, but I used to like Steve Doocy, but if even half of that is true (and I don't doubt it), he is a such huge misogynistic a-hole.  And the Ailes stuff?  dear god.

Oh lord. Now O'Reilly apparently got photos of Barrack Obama from his brother's wedding in a traditional Muslim (I'm assuming from the way he's contextualized it) outfit. Somehow this proves that Obama is to blame for ISIS's rise. I went to a Bat Mitzvah once. It doesn't make me Jewish. And regardless this "sympathizer" talk is still garbage. Remember this the next time he says 'but I totally don't mean that all Muslims are terrorists, you guys.'

• Love 3

O'Reilly tonight. THANK YOU for bring some sense, David Goodfriend. I can't believe O'Reilly is now saying what Hillary Clinton did was worse than what General Petraeus did. This is becoming satire.

• Love 2

Watching the overnight coverage of the horrible shootings in Dallas, and the most excellent commentary has been on Fox News. The anchor and commenters have been Shepard Smith, Kelly Wright, Rod Wheeler, and Ted Williams. Why aren't these guys the Fox News primetime lineup?

Ever since 9/11, I look for Shepard Smith when major, traumatic news happens. He was amazing during Hurricane Katrina. They did a good job making him the leader of the Breaking News division.

(edited)
8 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I prefer Kelly Wright over Shepard Smith. Wright seems straight up reporter, just the facts whereas Smith has seemed to let some editorial commentary seep in to his reporting lately. I would rather Wright have a show with a desk, a phone, and a writing pad than watch Smith's over sized Who Wants To Be A Millionaire glossy top of the line set. I have always had a soft spot for Wright. 

I don't believe what Gretchen is saying. I think she will bounce back over on another channel. It's like a wise generation older than me lady black coworker told me back when Anita Hill was all the rage. We had become close friends, in a mother daughter type way. I asked her if she believed her. She said she thinks the stuff happened, but if it didn't matter then, it doesn't matter now. I think if it mattered to Gretchen, she should have done her shouting before her firing. If her contract had been renewed, we would not be having the lawsuit. 

I lean towards believing her.  I think it's highly likely that she was sexually harassed but put up with it because she was trying to hang on to her job. She wouldn't be the first woman who had to choose between her livelihood and her dignity. Then after she was fired she had nothing to lose and she could accuse him. Her former boss has a rep as a notorious slime ball and none of this surprises me at all.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 5

A "ridiculous, irresponsible" statement to say "I don't condone it but I understand it." No, that's not O'Reilly apologizing for his own culpability in riling up hatred against "liberals," "Muslims," Hillary Clinton, Barrack Obama, Elizabeth Warren, pro-choice activists, feminists, etc. in a bit of rhetorical chicanery, pretending he's just reflecting the view of "people," "most Americans," "conservatives," or "Christians" though of course he doesn't condone it. He's talking about the Black Lives Matter movement. 

He also just said something to the effect of, I realize you experience racism but shut up about it. I understand it sucks but you can't make it your whole modus operandi.

"There is a tremendous amount of disrespect towards police officers in black communities [and they're human so they react to it]" (I couldn't type enough to get the exact quote.)

GARGH. When you are in a position of power like that, part of your responsibility is not abusing that power. As a teacher you will have some students who misbehave. You can enact discipline within the school guidelines... you can't beat the student with a ruler. As a psychologist or caregiver, you'll have some unruly patients. You can't strap them down like they're animals. If that's your instinct, you should be in another profession. Also, thank God some of these Fox news commentators never became police officers. I'm particularly thinking of O'Reilly and Hannity.

• Love 2

Fox temporarily drops Newt...

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/07/12/fox-news-and-newt-gingrich-part-ways-while-trump-mulls-vp-pick/

Fox News and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a top contender to serve as Republican Donald Trump’s running mate, have “mutually agreed” to part ways, at least temporarily, the network said Tuesday.

“Due to the intense media speculation about Gingrich’s potential selection as Donald Trump’s vice presidential candidate, we felt it best to halt his contributor role on the network to avoid all conflicts of interest that may arise,” Jay Wallace, the executive vice president of the news division, said in a statement Tuesday.

Mr. Gingrich confirmed that the agreement had been suspended but said the move did not necessarily mean he had been tapped as Mr. Trump’s running mate. The separation is effective immediately.

(edited)

It's official: Roger Ailes "resigns."

Official Fox Press Release:

New York, NY – July 21, 2016 – 21st Century Fox today announced that Roger Ailes, Chairman and CEO of Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network, and Chairman of Fox Television Stations, has resigned from his role effective immediately.   

Rupert Murdoch will assume the role of Chairman and acting CEO of Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network. 

New York Times article:

Mr. Ailes will receive about $40 million as part of a settlement agreement, according to a person with knowledge of the matter. As part of the agreement, Mr. Ailes cannot start a competitor to Fox News. He will continue to make himself available as an adviser to Mr. Murdoch on an interim basis, the person said, though he will not be directly involved with Fox News or its owner, 21st Century Fox.

In a letter to Mr. Murdoch on Thursday, Mr. Ailes wrote: “Having spent 20 years building this historic business, I will not allow my presence to become a distraction from the work that must be done every day to ensure that Fox News and Fox Business continue to lead our industry.”

A copy of the letter was provided by Mr. Ailes’s lawyer, Susan Estrich.

Though he made no mention of the investigation or the sexual harassment lawsuit, Mr. Ailes said, pointedly, “I take particular pride in the role that I have played advancing the careers of the many women I have promoted to executive and on-air positions. Many of these talented journalists have deservedly become household names known for their intelligence and strength, whether reporting the news, fair and balanced, and offering exciting opinions on our opinion programs.”

Edited by Just Here
  • Love 3

I got a little break for a while because my parents went on vacation. They're back so I had to see Varney's face in the morning which is always a horrible sight upon first waking up but that's not what prompted me to write this comment. It was watching Last Week Tonight With John Oliver. It makes me absolutely crazy the way Fox News has trained its viewers. They can watch John Oliver and block out the facts and logic because he's "a liberal" so he's probably lying and they don't always tell the truth and you shouldn't believe everything you hear... unless it's on Fox News. When I hear things on Fox News I take it in, filter it through all my cognitive centers, and form an opinion. I don't immediately reject it... unless it's blatant hate, racism, or misogyny because I just can't keep absorbing that toxicity. But on the rare occasions that they talk about facts or make reasoned arguments that are not just about feelings, I take it in and consider it fairly. Because I'm not terrified of agreeing with "a conservative." Facts are facts. You can interpret facts differently. But people aren't secretly manipulating facts because of their political leanings. And contradictory "facts" can't both be right.

Also, since we've been talking about Ailes... I left it as a link so you didn't have to see his face. You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tM6BHNJXFw

• Love 2

You may remember in her speech Monday night, Michelle Obama said "I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves"

Bill O'Reilly had this to say on his show last night:

"Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/07/27/bill-oreilly-michelle-obama-white-house-slaves-speech/87604632/

Stay classy, Bill, stay classy...

• Love 11
On 7/27/2016 at 7:18 AM, Moose135 said:

You may remember in her speech Monday night, Michelle Obama said "I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves"

Bill O'Reilly had this to say on his show last night:

"Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/07/27/bill-oreilly-michelle-obama-white-house-slaves-speech/87604632/

Stay classy, Bill, stay classy...

Per https://twitter.com/jaybookmanajc:  " We have an eyewitness, First Lady Abigail Adams, who said those slaves were 'half fed, and destitute of clothing' "

• Love 2

Look, I don't actually give a flying leap (I've been watching RHONY) about Melania Trump's immigration status or her past but Fox News cannot just brush these things aside. If the allegations are true, it's a clear double standard for how people are treated based on race and class/status. And no one is picking on her by calling her a trophy wife. They would be picking on her if they called her a gold digger.

• Love 2

I just saw a clip of Fox covering Trump's speech *today* where he kept talking about things coming out of Megyn Kelly's "whatever" (he just never quits holding on to things), and the FOX anchors (there were three of them), including Kelly, were just shaking their heads, and Kelly laughed and asked, "Why does he never stop litigating things?"

So a new Fox News tactic appears to be claiming that Hillary Clinton is FDR and hiding a secret illness except this one is going to kill her tomorrow. According to wikipedia, she's two years younger than Donald Trump but unlike her, he's healthy as a horse. I mean, look at that healthy orange glow! ;)

• Love 3
Just now, aradia22 said:

So a new Fox News tactic appears to be claiming that Hillary Clinton is FDR and hiding a secret illness except this one is going to kill her tomorrow. According to wikipedia, she's two years younger than Donald Trump but unlike her, he's healthy as a horse. I mean, look at that healthy orange glow! ;)

So healthy that he got a medical deferment from the draft.

• Love 3

BULLSHIT. I'm so over this. The "liberal media" is not willfully misinterpreting Donald Trump in the worst way possible because they're "biased" against him. When he's not coming right out and saying horrible shit, he's being deliberately vague but completely obvious. It's the same Fox News tactic of saying what you want to say but refusing to have the courage to fully endorse it by retaining a sliver of plausible deniability. Donald Trump was not misspeaking. He did not speak bluntly and blunder because he's not a politician and new to public speaking. That is RHETORIC. He knew exactly what he was doing with that second amendment comment.

https://twitter.com/Breznican/status/763122434522230784

Lesser point... why does Fox News insist on playing Queen music?

• Love 5

Is Hannity on Trump's payroll? Seriously, he's the host Trump always runs to when he makes a blunder and Hannity always spins for him better than Manafort. Yesterday, I caught the exchange re: 2nd amendment remark. Hannity went first, with a long statement explaining what an innocent comment it was, urging 'second amendment people" to organize and get out the vote*, something that the evil liberal media turned into something it wasn't.  Hannity: Your thoughts?  

Agreeing with Hannity (repeating Trump's campaign's spin on it) gave Trump even more legitimacy on the subject. Plus, reduced the chance of him saying anything new that might also be a gaffe.

Trump used to be all over cable tv; now I mostly see him on Fox and nowhere else.  I'm sure when Trump talks about approving "fair" debate moderators, he's thinking of Baier or Hannity from Fox.

• Love 2

Staggering stupidity (as usual) on Varney this morning. Trump is "courting" African American voters the way Darcy courted Elizabeth Bennet.

"You're living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs, 58% of your youth is unemployed -- what the hell do you have to lose?"

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/internet-explodes-when-trump-predicts-hell-score-95-percent-of-african-american-vote/

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 2
On 8/9/2016 at 7:23 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

So healthy that [Donald Trump] got a medical deferment from the draft.

To be fair, it was for a heel spur, which miraculously healed once the danger of serving his country had passed. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2

Two developing stories today...

Vanity Fair: Fox Settles with Gretchen Carlson for $20 Million—and Is Expected to Offer an Unprecedented Apology

[removed tweet -- see this post]

Update: Press Release from 21st Century Fox --

New York, NY – September 6, 2016 – 21st Century Fox today issued the following statement announcing it has settled Gretchen Carlson’s lawsuit.

“21st Century Fox is pleased to announce that it has settled Gretchen Carlson’s lawsuit.  During her tenure at Fox News, Gretchen exhibited the highest standards of journalism and professionalism. She developed a loyal audience and was a daily source of information for many Americans. We are proud that she was part of the Fox News team. We sincerely regret and apologize for the fact that Gretchen was not treated with the respect and dignity that she and all of our colleagues deserve.”

Ms. Carlson issued the following statement:

“I am gratified that 21st Century Fox took decisive action after I filed my Complaint. I’m ready to move on to the next chapter of my life in which I will redouble my efforts to empower women in the workplace. I want to thank all the brave women who came forward to tell their own stories and the many people across the country who embraced and supported me in their #StandWithGretchen. All women deserve a dignified and respectful workplace in which talent, hard work and loyalty are recognized, revered and rewarded.”

And, Politico: Greta Van Susteren abruptly leaves Fox News -- Brit Hume will take over "On The Record," starting tonight.

Here's the press release:

Edit: The official reason for Van Susteren's departure, from Fox News' Howard Kurtz:

According to a source familiar with the process, Van Susteren asked to renegotiate her contract after Roger Ailes resigned under pressure as Fox News chairman following a sexual harassment lawsuit. Van Susteren is one of a number of key Fox personnel whose contract included a “key man” clause allowing her to leave if Ailes departed.

When those negotiations deadlocked, Van Susteren chose to invoke the departure option, the sources said. Her last show was Thursday, and the swiftness of events did not allow her to deliver an on-air farewell.

Though, Van Susteren was still tweeting Fox-related tweets as of around 7:20 a.m., this morning, and she has yet to update her Twitter bio.

Edited by Just Here
Added new info (and yes, the formatting is messed up); removed tweet
  • Love 1

Van Susteren just posted this message on her Facebook:

Yes, I have left the Fox News Channel.

On Thursday night, I made my decision and informed Fox News of my decision that I was leaving Fox News Channel per my contract.

Fox has not felt like home to me for a few years and I took advantage of the clause in my contract which allows me to leave now. The clause had a time limitation, meaning I could not wait.

I love my staff, I love my colleagues, and I love the crews. That is the hardest part of this decision as they are wonderful people.

And most of all? I love the viewers -- even the ones who have gotten mad at me over the years and taken swipes. :)

I hope to continue my career in broadcasting.

"Fox has not felt like home to me for a few years" -- You know, since I got bumped to 7pm for that Megyn Kelly...

Edit: From NYMag.com --

Fox’s media correspondent Howard Kurtz reported Van Susteren left after asking to renegotiate her contract. But a source close to Van Susteren disputed this, telling me Van Susteren left because “she is troubled by the culture” Ailes built. On September 1, Van Susteren notified Fox that she was exercising a clause in her contract that allows her to leave Fox if Ailes is no longer running the channel.

Over the summer, Van Susteren took flak for casting doubt on Carlson’s claims. The source says Van Susteren did not know about Ailes’s alleged harassment at that point.

Edited by Just Here
added NYMag quote
  • Love 1

More on Greta Van Susteren, via CNN:

A courier arrived at Van Susteren's Washington, D.C. home at 9 a.m. Tuesday, hand-delivering two letters that said that Van Susteren "was being taken off the air" immediately, according to her husband, John Coale, who is a high-profile Washington lawyer.

Van Susteren was already planning to leave, but she thought she would be hosting her 7 p.m. program "On the Record" for a few more weeks.

The network announced her departure less than an hour after the courier arrived. Van Susteren was not quoted in the press release.

Fox then deleted the "On the Record" web site, Van Susteren's biography, and her pioneering Gretawire blog -- essentially erasing her from FoxNews.com.

The sources said Van Susteren sought to renegotiate the terms of her contract -- and asked for a big bump in pay -- after Ailes resigned.

Fox executives refused to negotiate, one of the sources said.

There was a "financial disagreement," another one of the sources said.

I have to think that Van Susteren thought a "big bump" in compensation was a long-shot and that she was already half-way out the door after Ailes was fired.

Also, as to her motivation for leaving:

Van Susteren was motivated to leave in part because she had been unhappy and uncomfortable with the way Ailes ran the network the past few years, and with the way the network was perceived, two of the sources said.

Even while vocally defending Fox in public, she had concerns in private.

"It didn't appear it was getting better" after Ailes left, one of the sources said, so she looked to the exit.

Whether she actually disagreed with Ailes' handling of Fox News or not, the "key man clause" -- triggered by Ailes' exit -- gave her an easy/legal out.

I'm wondering considering the comment about the years whether it refers to the Murdoch sons taking over who didn't make much of a secret how much they hated Ailes.  I wonder if she might have been one of Ailes's stronger supporters on the media staff despite the shift -- I think that was in good part to advertisers simply not contracting for her specific hour show and got stuck there whenever Fox could shift blanket adspace purchased -- sort like companies waking up to find out that TLC aired their ad during a Duggar show.  She tries to side out instead of being made to walk out with security while holding a cardboard box of her personal items?

O'Lyingly is the voice of emotional propoganda. 

The more I see of these Fox talking heads lose their shit over this, the more I want Colin to get that Super Bowl ring this year.  Just because I want to tune in the Monday morning after and watch the spittle of outrage hit the lens all day.  Bloated and bleached and Boob-jobbed pundits of hypocrisy will go rabid.  We might see one of the fatter ones (Sean Hannity I see that gut you double spanx to hide) simply drop dead  of apoplexy.  Steve Douche-y will only heard by dogs in five boroughs over.

Edited by tenativelyyours
  • Love 6

This health nonsense is so stupid. And if it's going to be such a concern now (they pulled the same stuff to a lesser extent with John McCain) maybe we should have an age cap. So both a minimum age requirement and a maximum age cut off for president.

• Love 1

Tuesday is my rowing machine day at the gym.   Unfortunately the machines are right under a giant TV screen with Fox and Friends on.  The only tv showing FOX BTW.

I try to avoid looking up but honestly it's a like a car accident.  Don't want to look, can't help looking.

These people get more insane by the day.  Today they discussed the dems back-up candidate plan because evidently Hillary's going to pulling out of the race any minute now.

• Love 3