Type keyword(s) to search

Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol (10 episode series?) is scheduled to premiere on September 16, 2021 on Peacock, with new episodes appearing weekly.

dan-brown-the-lost-symbol-poster.jpg?q=5

This is a protrayal of Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon, played by Tom Hanks, seen in movies like The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, and Inferno.

the-lost-symbol-2.jpg

Robert Langdon has appeared in five Dan Brown novels: Angels & Demons (2000), The Da Vinci Code (2003), The Lost Symbol (2009), Inferno (2013), and Origin (2017). A sixth book is currently being written.

The Lost Symbol was the third Robert Langdon book, but The Lost Symbol TV series is a more of a prequel to the movie series, with a younger actor than Tom Hanks taking on the role of Langdon revealing his origin story, while still following the premise of The Lost Symbol book.

Langdon is hired by the CIA to solves a series of deadly puzzles to save Peter Solomon, his kidnapped mentor and thwart a chilling global conspiracy.

Dan Brown (author of the series), Ron Howard (directed all three of the Robert Langdon movies), Dan Trachtenberg and Bryan Grazer are executive producers.

intro-import.webp

Robert Langdon is played by Ashley Zuckerman.

Eddie Izzard plays Langdon's mentor, Peter Solomon, the Director of the Smithsonian and an influential mover and shaker in Washington, D.C. 

Valorie Curry plays Katherine Solomon, Peter's daughter/love interest, who is a scientist who studies how consciousness can affect the physical world. (Katherine Solomon was Peter's sister in the novel.)

Laura de Carteret plays Isabel.  

Keenan Jolliff plays Zachary Solomon.

Beau Knapp portrays the main villain, Mal'akh. 

Sumalee Montano is Sato, the director of the CIA's Office of Security (OS). 

Rick Gonzalez is a Capitol policeman, Nunez. 

lostheader.jpg

Other people in the cast include Raoul Bhaneja, Nicki Burke, Gabriel Davenport, Alison Mackay, Ellie Moon, Patrick Ronan, Sammi Rotibi, Gia Sandhu, Geoff Scovell, and Simon Webster.

Dan-Browns-The-Lost-Symbol-_-Official-Tr

The Lost Symbol - S01.E01: As Above, So Below

Promising young Harvard professor Robert Langdon finds himself pulled into a complex mystery when his former mentor, Peter Solomon, is kidnapped. Armed with knowledge of history, symbols, and dead languages, Langdon must work together with Peter's daughter and other allies to find the Lost Symbol... or lose the man they both see as a father.

Air Date: Sept. 16, 2021

The Lost Symbol: S01.E01: As Above, So Below

Promising young Harvard professor Robert Langdon finds himself pulled into a complex mystery when his former mentor, Peter Solomon, is kidnapped. Armed with knowledge of history, symbols, and dead languages, Langdon must work together with Peter's daughter and other allies to find the Lost Symbol... or lose the man they both see as a father.

Air Date: Sept. 16, 2021 on Peacock

NUP_192531_0153.jpg

NUP_194464_00080.jpg

NUP_192531_1738.jpg

The Lost Symbol: S01.E01: As Above, So Below

I liked it, they could have slowed down a little and given us more of a cultural, historical, monumental, and philosophical lecture/tour of the thought processes that they are using to decipher the puzzles. This is a TV show so they can spend a lot more time "explaining the rationale" of their choices, since that is "the hook" they are using to distinguish themselves from other shows and draw in their target audience. There is no need to rush pass all the great statues, artwork, iconography, and architecture that is layered with multiple meaning when viewed through different lenses. This should have been a a show that gives us a feast of knowledge and visually stunning artwork and locations, but instead rushes through what I think are the raison d'etre for the show's existence because they added a ticking "human life" clock which gives the show a rushed, panicky, feel which causes conflict with the intellectual portions of the show. It would have been better not to show the professor's state since it creates the feeling of "go faster", when you really want the show to "slow down" and "show your work". 

The worst part of the episode was the Thanksgiving Dinner, instead of making me think they were having a spirited intellectual discussion amongst the greatest thinkers of our society, I felt it was a group of pompous people set in their ways, bored with being there, belittling each others views and opinions. It did not endear me to anyone gathered at the table, but it did make me wonder what happened to Professor Solomon's wife.

The show doesn't give you any leeway to speculate where the story might lead you, you just have to accept being lead by the nose to your next destination. The only thing I know for sure is that Katherine Solomon's "pseudoscience studies" is going to be extremely important in solving this mystery.

• Love 3

I enjoyed it to a point. the thought the actor playing Langdon was very good but I'm not in desperate need to know what happens next or incredibly taken with the world they've created. I think they should have released 3 episodes to begin with (which seems standard practice for most streaming services for a new series even if they're showing it week to week) to help get people deeper into the mystery and the world. As it stands I have no emotional connection. It might be that I find Eddie Izzard really annoying so I'm not that concerned whether or not he gets saved.

I think setting it in current time as well lowers some of the jeopardy, if they had set it in the 80's when the character would have been a young professor, it would have been pre ubiquitous mobile phones and theres an added tension and danger from not being contactable constantly and not having a computer in your pocket.

• Love 2

The Lost Symbol: S01.E02: The Araf

Reeling from the day’s events, Langdon and Katherine get help and shelter from an old friend while they attempt to decipher the most recent clue. Meanwhile, amidst visions of his past, Peter attempts an escape.

Air Date: Sept. 23, 2021 on Peacock

The Lost Symbol: S01.E03: Murmuration

With the CIA hot on their trail and Mal’akh demanding they split up, Katherine and Langdon turn to Nuñez for help. Sato interrogates Bellamy and takes on pressure from her superiors to produce answers for the growing number of questions regarding this case.

Air Date: Sept. 30, 2021 on Peacock

the-lost-symbol-episode-103-murmuration-

The Origins of Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol

Edited by AnimeMania

I enjoyed the solving of the puzzle, but hated everything with Peter Solomon and the killing of Katherine Solomon's assistant. It seems very hand wavy that Mal'akh would be able to find her since she wasn't in the lab. They should try not to kill the good people, because all the rest the characters are not really that nice and are hard to root for. The episode started on a high note and ended on a downer.

Wow, I guess not too people are watching this. Anyway, I read the book about 10 years ago because I was familiar with most of the places Langdon went to and wanted to see how they were portrayed. I don't remember much of the plot, and found the overall story to be "meh" but I still wanted to watch the tv show because I like historical puzzles. So far I'm enjoying it, despite the inaccuracies (that was definitely not a DC metro station). I liked Katherine's assistant, and am sad she's gone. I also like the cop that's helping them, and hope he makes it through.

One change from the book that I'm happy about is Sato's character. In the book, she had some kind of neck/throat injury that affected the way she spoke. I listened to the audiobook, and the narrator gave her a very raspy, hoarse whisper of a voice which got very annoying very quickly.

The Lost Symbol: S01.E04: L'Enfant Orientation

Forced to split up by Mal’akh, Langdon follows the next clue while Katherine teams up with Sato to find her father another way.

Air Date:  October 7, 2021 on Peacock

The Masonic Roundtable is doing a podcast about all the symbols that are appearing in Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, giving you a little more in depth information about their importance. The show does not give these symbols much air time so it is good that the Masons go into a little more depth about their significance.

As Above So Below | The Found Symbol 1

Araf | The Found Symbol 2

Murmuration | The Found Symbol 3

L'Enfant Orientation | The Found Symbol 4

On 10/7/2021 at 8:54 PM, AnimeMania said:

What! You have to have a paid subscription to see episode 4! Not cool Peacock!

Yeah, we tried to watch episode 4 last night and were surprised/disappointed. However, no way is this interesting enough to sign up for Premium Peacock. In general, I’ve found the Dan Brown books better than the movies made from them (had not read this one though).

Wait, I just started binging on this series yesterday, and when I got to episode 4, it started, but I had other things I needed to get to doing, so I exited and planned to come back.  Does the episode start, give you a tease, then tell you that you have to subscribe to view the rest?  Because it looked to me like I could watch the episode just the same as the previous three.

Other than that, I have to tell you I really like the idea of taking complex suspense/adventure novels like The Lost Symbol and making limited run TV series out of them.  So many details get lost in movie adaptions, and too much emphasis and time is given to the big splashy stunts that the rest of the storytelling gets lost.  So I really like this idea.

The actor playing Peter was driving me nuts during the Thanksgiving dinner scene, so I had to pause and look it up.  OMG.  Eddie Izzard?!?  Never in a million years did I think Eddie Izzard.  He's a complex man, our Eddie....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Wait, I just started binging on this series yesterday, and when I got to episode 4, it started, but I had other things I needed to get to doing, so I exited and planned to come back.  Does the episode start, give you a tease, then tell you that you have to subscribe to view the rest?  Because it looked to me like I could watch the episode just the same as the previous three.

If that was the case, go back to episode 3 and fast forward as much as possible and when you get to the end see if episode 4 starts, it could be a bug.

Dan Brown’s The Lost Symbol S01.E05: Melencolia I

When Mal’akh sends a disturbing video of Peter, Langdon has no other choice but to reunite with Katherine and team up with Sato for a bold move. Nuñez follows a hunch.

Air Date: 14 Oct 2021

NUP_194753_00376.jpg

NUP_194753_00220.jpg

On 10/15/2021 at 12:54 AM, AnimeMania said:

Dan Brown’s The Lost Symbol S01.E05: Melencolia I

When Mal’akh sends a disturbing video of Peter, Langdon has no other choice but to reunite with Katherine and team up with Sato for a bold move. Nuñez follows a hunch.

Air Date: 14 Oct 2021

NUP_194753_00376.jpg

NUP_194753_00220.jpg

Can anyone explain why "16 is J"? when he was solving the puzzle of the magic square please because it just confused the hell out of me

Dan Brown’s The Lost Symbol S01.E06: Diophantine Pseudonym

Mal’akh pressures Langdon and Peter to decipher the clues; Katherine, Nuñez and Sato try to pick up the pieces after the failed drop.

Air Date: Oct. 21 2021

NUP_194956_00109_lowRes.jpg

NUP_194956_00294_lowRes.jpg

On 10/17/2021 at 5:07 PM, AK85 said:

Can anyone explain why "16 is J"?

No idea. They go through the puzzle solving stuff very quickly. This show is really going off the rails for me, especially with the whole "breathing can heal bullet wounds" thing. And I had to laugh at Langdon running around "DC" with "Welcome to Toronto" signs right behind him.

• Love 1

From what I remember of the book there was a lot more focus on various locations in DC.  Of course that would be bit of a challenge taking the filming location into consideration.  Too little focus on Langdon solving puzzles.  The book wasn't my favorite of the series, but I didn't think it was too bad.  This production has been disappointing.  

Spoiler

The thing bothering me the most is that there are two different actors playing Mal'akh and Zachary who look nothing alike.

• Love 1

Dan Brown’s The Lost Symbol S01.E08: Cascade

Fearing Katherine's mother might be in danger, Katherine and Langdon try to persuade Isabel to protect herself; Peter reconnects with his fellow Leviathan members after Mal'akh turns his wrath on the organization.

Air Date: Nov. 4, 2021

NUP_195415_00479.jpg

NUP_195415_00255.jpg

I saw the ads for this, and promptly re-read the book.  Then read it again, taking time to analyze the puzzles, the connections, the details of the Masons (my dad and grandpas), and the bits I'd flown over.  Really excited last night when I saw it coming on "regular" tv.  But sooooo disappointed.  I don't know how anyone who didn't read the books has any idea what is happening. It's coming across more as a "based on..." series rather than a film adaptation.   I don't know.  Will give it another episode or so. Not sure how this can be a multi-season show at this point.  Hmmm.... 

Found this link after I read this time. Great visuals for all the locations, art, artifacts mentioned in the book, and maybe some of the series.  Spoilers, if you go all the way through.

https://langdonsworld.com/home/thelostsymbol/

• Love 1

Watched the first episode and have a few questions:

Is the entire series on regular TV?  Not sure I have Peacock.  I think I do, but never tested it.  I won't continue if I can't see it all.

How many episodes are there?  

Is the mystery solved by the end?  If it drags into a second season, it's going to have to be really intriguing for me to continue.  Especially, if like someone said, the solving of puzzles takes a back seat.

I like what I've seen so far, but don't want torture.

Dan Brown’s The Lost Symbol S01.E09: Order Eight 

Finding an unexpected clue, Langdon, Katherine, Nuñez and Peter partner with Sato and her CIA colleagues to spring a trap for Mal'akh; as the night unfolds, the real puzzle is quickly discovered.

Air Date: Nov. 11, 2021

FD2ZYNfVUAAkYTj?format=jpg&name=900x900

On 11/10/2021 at 4:51 PM, Johann said:

Watched the first episode and have a few questions:

Is the entire series on regular TV?  Not sure I have Peacock.  I think I do, but never tested it.  I won't continue if I can't see it all.

How many episodes are there?  

Is the mystery solved by the end?  If it drags into a second season, it's going to have to be really intriguing for me to continue.  Especially, if like someone said, the solving of puzzles takes a back seat.

I like what I've seen so far, but don't want torture.

It's exclusive on Peacock. The first 3 episodes are free and then you'll need to sign up for a premium account to watch the rest (unless you have xfinity or cox). 

The season ends on Thursday.

• Useful 2

Dan Brown’s The Lost Symbol S01.E10: Resonance   

Season Finale

As Mal'akh's plan enters its final phase, Peter and Langdon wrestle over the sacrifice needed to save Katherine; Nuñez and Sato race to understand the weapon known as Cascade.

Air Date: Nov. 18, 2021

The-Lost-Symbol-1.jpg

Dan-Browns-The-Lost-Symbol-Episode-10-Ot

NUP_195560_00317_lowRes.jpg
ezgif-3-e6c585fc92a2-compressed.jpg?resi

• Useful 1