Type keyword(s) to search

Married At First Sight (UK) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The new series of MAFS UK started last night and I caught up with it today. This is season 6, and the previous 5 seasons had been very much like the early MAFS US seasons, with just three couples, with no set-up-for-drama scenarios, but seeing how things played out as they tried to work out a life together.

But this new season is following the Australian model, with weekly dinner parties where all the couples get together, and the potential for lots of draahh-maaaah. (Of course I am going to watch it all...)

Already I hate one of the women - Nikita - who had a long list of all the things she wanted in a man, but everything on her wish list was related to how she insists he must look - tall, very muscular, tan, green eyes, veneers on his teeth (seriously, she made such a big deal out of this) - but not a single word about the character of the man she wanted to be matched with.  She is one of these Instagram people who (she claims) never wears the same outfit twice, and she's been spoiled rotten by her parents. She had nothing to say about what she could bring to the relationship, but instead says that what she wants is a man to love her for the rest of her life. Naturally, the experts have matched her with someone who doesn't meet 90% of the criteria on her wish list, but who seems a good man. The experts think he will be able to 'ground' her, but I think he has no idea of what a high-maintenance bimbo he's been matched up with.

If you can find it to stream in the USA (try CatMouse, Typhoon TV, TeaTV  or one of the other streaming apps you can get on a smart TV - Google them), it's well worth a watch.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I've never watched this series from the start but I needed something to fill the Love Island (also a new thing for me) hole in my life and omg.... these women are bonkers! Morag and Nikitta - where do you even start with these people?

And then last night, watching Alexis and Jordon seemed so promising; until it all came out on twitter about his ex! I'm just astounded by it all.

I am already over Bob. Yes, he might be a 'nice guy', but being around someone who has no off switch is exhausting. I once dated someone like that and it gets very old, very quickly. I feel sorry for Megan, she's been matched with an overgrown child who has to be the centre of attention the whole time.

Franky (the Poundland Daniel Craig) is a creep. Morag is growing on me, after last night's episode when she and Luke walked in looking very happy. I think she'd built up a hard shell due to previous bad relationships, and is finding out that she really does like someone who's gentle and laid back.

I can see a swap coming, with Alexis and Ant getting together, as well as Megan and Jordan, leaving Bob out in the cold.

Well, that happened. Hard not to feel bad for Bob (and Alexis - pity she can't get together with Ant and return) under the circumstances. I'm glad Jordon is gone, what an absolute shitshow he made of his '15mins of fame'. Nikita was OTT in how she behaved but I still think it was harsh to summarily remove her, a warning and second chance would've been more apt, it isn't like she threatened (let alone physically attack) anyone. I've seen worse on the Aussie MAFS (water throwing and such) and they weren't thrown off, but hey ho, they were probably leaving anyway.

Also, Franky is lowkey sinister AF.

We binged this over the weekend...how I wish the American version of this show was this good.  The pace is so much quicker and the weekly dinners are a great feature.  This and the Aussie version have it all over the American slow-mo train wreck.

I was glad they sent Nikita home; I was over her at the hen do.  Franky gives me the chills, he is all shades of misogynistic creeper and I want his "wife" to GTFO.  Luke is too good for Morag. I was confused by one couple remaining on their honeymoon whilst everyone else returned...I suspect one or both of them were exposed or positive for Covid and the show didn't want to cover that. Just my theory.  😊

18 minutes ago, AnnMarie17 said:

I was confused by one couple remaining on their honeymoon whilst everyone else returned...I suspect one or both of them were exposed or positive for Covid and the show didn't want to cover that. Just my theory.  😊

I believe they had to covid quarantine or similar either before or upon their return to the UK. Not sure whether it was due to being exposed/testing positive or bc UK rules & regs changed for the country they had honeymooned in.

• Love 1

Alexis & Ant: the return! Yissss! Really glad they get to come back, they both deserve a second chance at this. Hope it works for them.

Cranky Franky tried his utmost to hide his displeasure during Yes week, FAIL, lol.

Oof, Amy is hard work, that girl must be mentally exhausting to have as a gf let alone as a wife 24/7, phew. Wasn't impressed with her trying to take back control on the last day of Yes week either. I predict a breakup there and soon. 

I don't trust that Megan's intentions are genuine, my instinct is that she'll do what she thinks she needs to, in an attempt to salvage her reputation/image for the camera/audience. She isn't sorry, she's only sorry she got discovered before she could excuse her behaviour with any righteous indignation a la "we're here to find love so I did what I had to!" - as if that makes it all okay. She may prove me wrong but somehow I highly doubt it. They say love is blind and poor, lovelorn, hapless Bob needs a guide dog at this point.

Luke and Morag - felt bad for Luke but things started looking up last night...the compliment jar was sweet, jury is still out though. Luke may not be the hero Morag wants but he's the hero she needs.

Tayah and Adam and Daniel and Matt were all happiness and rainbows, wonder if it'll last...? For Tayah and Adam, the main thought is with him never having been in a serious relationship, whether he's really in love or in lust - hopefully it's the former, time will tell. With Daniel and Matt - will the stumbling block of Daniel being insistent about them living in NI prove too much of an obstacle to overcome? We'll all find out together!

21 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Cranky Franky tried his utmost to hide his displeasure during Yes week, FAIL, lol.

Oof, Amy is hard work, that girl must be mentally exhausting to have as a gf let alone as a wife 24/7, phew. Wasn't impressed with her trying to take back control on the last day of Yes week either. I predict a breakup there and soon. 

I don't trust that Megan's intentions are genuine, my instinct is that she'll do what she thinks she needs to, in an attempt to salvage her reputation/image for the camera/audience. She isn't sorry, she's only sorry she got discovered before she could excuse her behaviour with any righteous indignation a la "we're here to find love so I did what I had to!" - as if that makes it all okay. She may prove me wrong but somehow I highly doubt it. They say love is blind and poor, lovelorn, hapless Bob needs a guide dog at this point.

Luke and Morag - felt bad for Luke but things started looking up last night...the compliment jar was sweet, jury is still out though. Luke may not be the hero Morag wants but he's the hero she needs.

Tayah and Adam and Daniel and Matt were all happiness and rainbows, wonder if it'll last...? For Tayah and Adam, the main thought is with him never having been in a serious relationship, whether he's really in love or in lust - hopefully it's the former, time will tell. With Daniel and Matt - will the stumbling block of Daniel being insistent about them living in NI prove too much of an obstacle to overcome? We'll all find out together!

Franky - when his wife said he's mostly kind, but has moments when he's difficult, my husband said "he can hide it for a while, but then the mask slips".  YEP - there's ugly inside of him and he can only hide it so much.  She needs to move along now.

Amy - what a brat!  No thank you. That kind of stubborn obstinance isn't fun with a toddler, let alone a supposed adult. I was shocked by how rude she was, truthfully.

Megan - I completely agree with you.  She's on a major image rehab and I'm not buying it.  And, shallow note, what the hell was she wearing at the pier????

Luke is so brave!  Stripping for one person is cringy enough, but he agreed to do that for her on television.  That man is BRAVE....and fun and I'm a fan.  I hope she doesn't break his heart.

Still enjoying this much more than the American version...I'm in for the season!

• Love 1

After the dinner party last night, nothing has really changed other than my distaste for Megan growing exponentially. Luke & Morag seem to be in a better place (finally, Morag, you're looking beyond the superficial to see someone's true value!). Welcome back Alexis & Ant.

1 hour ago, AnnMarie17 said:

Still enjoying this much more than the American version...I'm in for the season!

If you're enjoying this more, you should 100% check out the aussie version, which is what this UK season basically is.

16 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

If you're enjoying this more, you should 100% check out the aussie version, which is what this UK season basically is.

Already binged all the Aussie seasons...what can I say, like many of us, I'm spending A LOT of time at home.  😳😉

• Like 1

WHERE are you all watching this?  I've just now been watching random weddings from the Australian version on my smart tv's YouTube channel.  (I'm dying to know what happened to Tash and Amanda, LOL.  Google informs me they ran into a spot of trouble.)

Can anyone give me some tips on streaming the UK version?  Do I sign up for the Google option on my tv and find the streaming services mentioned above by @essexjan?  Speak to me as though I'm five years old.

P.S.  Completely agree with all of you who mentioned the bizarre difference in the long, slow snoozefest that is the US version and the compulsively watchable AUS/UK platform.  There's some Hollywood producer asleep at the wheel.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, candall said:

WHERE are you all watching this?  I've just now been watching random weddings from the Australian version on my smart tv's YouTube channel.  (I'm dying to know what happened to Tash and Amanda, LOL.  Google informs me they ran into a spot of trouble.)

Can anyone give me some tips on streaming the UK version?  Do I sign up for the Google option on my tv and find the streaming services mentioned above by @essexjan?  Speak to me as though I'm five years old.

P.S.  Completely agree with all of you who mentioned the bizarre difference in the long, slow snoozefest that is the US version and the compulsively watchable AUS/UK platform.  There's some Hollywood producer asleep at the wheel.

I'm in the UK so not much help I'm afraid. Hopefully, someone else will be able to tell you.

• Love 1
On 9/24/2021 at 3:08 PM, AnnMarie17 said:

Morag is such an ass.  It's like Megan left, so Morag had to claim the spot of being an asshole.  I wish Luke would just walk away.

She doesn't know a good thing when she sees it. Also that one friend of hers - all mouth and no wisdom.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

I'm watching, it's my guilty pleasure along with the aussie one.

Oh yay...me, too!  I need someone to help me understand Gemma and Matt: they seemed so good together at first and then she could NOT get out of her own way and now he seems like a jerk.  I've never done such a complete 180 on a couple so quickly; it was wild! I have whiplash. 

YES HE DOES.  George needs to get off this show and get into therapy. I thought I'd dislike her, because beauty queens are not my jam, but George is just way too much; I feel sorry for her.

BTW, love "the ick"...I think we learned that on Love Island and it's fun to see someone else use it!

• Wink 1
23 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

New season on 3/01, Lifetime Channel! I've  not seen the UK version yet, so woo-hho! 🥳💍

Nice! The first 5 UK seasons aren't as good as S6 onwards - when they switched to follow the Australian format - which is far better than the original UK and the US formats. Although, I confess the Australian one still wins for me due to sunshine and beautiful scenery, heh.

I watched for the first time part of the first episode last night (season 7) just out of curiosity to see how it compares to the US version. Holy smokers! It’s messy! Really different.
One bride, Whitney, was rolling her eyes and actually sneering at the groom because she immediately didn’t like him at the altar. I Googled that in the UK version they do not get legally married, it’s just sort of a promise they will stay together while the show is filming. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I watched for the first time part of the first episode last night (season 7) just out of curiosity to see how it compares to the US version. Holy smokers! It’s messy! Really different.
One bride, Whitney, was rolling her eyes and actually sneering at the groom because she immediately didn’t like him at the altar. I Googled that in the UK version they do not get legally married, it’s just sort of a promise they will stay together while the show is filming. 

This is my first time watching the UK version, too. I don’t know any of their names yet, but the bride that you were referring to, the one rolling her eyes and being all sarcastic was a real jerk! The guy she married is a peach! I like how he defended the woman, explaining to his mom that she’s probably just stressed out. And sure enough, once they showed them outside up on the balcony/patio, she explained how she’s so afraid of loss and that makes it hard for her to let people get close to her. She’s afraid of loss. She seemed very sincere. I guess we’ll see how it goes, though! 

The other couple that they showed getting married were so lovely! The bride was so sweet and has such a nice, natural, warm smile. I loved when she stood up and hugged her groom when he got teary during his speech. She really won his mother over. I hope they do well during this “experiment”. 🧐

• Like 3
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

They don't get legally married in most countries including the US but I prefer this & the Australian version much more than the US version which has lost its way compared to how it stated out. Watched UK & US versions back to back and the US version is so boring in comparison.

• Like 1
On 2/22/2023 at 10:16 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

New season on 3/01, Lifetime Channel! I've  not seen the UK version yet, so woo-hho! 🥳💍

First episode was Thursday 2/23, or that's when I noticed it & hit record. The first aired dates are showing as the UK airing dates which was why my DVR didn't pick up on it. Anyone know what night it's first on?

I just watched the first two weddings. Whitney seems like an awful person and I really felt bad for Duka. Much like the Australians, the women here seem to have lots of blow up lips and fake boobs. The Americans seem more like average people to me. 

• Like 6
On 2/28/2023 at 7:09 PM, SilverStormm said:

I thought Whitney was awful at first but things do not proceed as one would anticipate. I ended up liking her and disliking Duka, which is something I didn't see coming given our introduction to her.

That being said, she was soooo insufferable in that first episode. It was one of the rudest things I've ever witnessed.

• Like 6
On 2/24/2023 at 5:01 PM, Straycat80 said:

Me too.  I watched it on Lifetime last night and tonight.  The blonde matchmaker is back from Australia with two others I’ve never seen.  This show is such a mess.  It’s on Wednesdays, then again on Thursday.  The way they all speak, I don’t know what the hell they are saying.  Is this show going to have the dinners?  I’m just so confused.  Whitney is weird.  Tonight, the second bride was gorgeous.  Little did she know, the groom has four kids.  They didn’t tell her?  WTF?  Did not like the second couple .. the two guys.  One was nasty.  They should have continued Australia.  They stopped it in mid air.  Very confusing.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 2/23/2023 at 1:16 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

What new season .. Australia or UK?   Are both on demand do you know?

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Me too.  I watched it on Lifetime last night and tonight.  The blonde matchmaker is back from Australia with two others I’ve never seen.  This show is such a mess.  It’s on Wednesdays, then again on Thursday.  The way they all speak, I don’t know what the hell they are saying.  Is this show going to have the dinners?  I’m just so confused.  Whitney is weird.  Tonight, the second bride was gorgeous.  Little did she know, the groom has four kids.  They didn’t tell her?  WTF?  Did not like the second couple .. the two guys.  One was nasty.  They should have continued Australia.  They stopped it in mid air.  Very confusing.

Re messiness - I can't speak to the scheduling over there, no idea sorry. What do you mean when you say that you can't understand the way they speak? Do you mean the accents, the vernacular, the diction, or something else?? Try closed captioning? Yes, the revamped UK version is the exact same format as the Australian one, dinners et al. 

Which Australian season stopped mid air for you? I've seen all the Aussie seasons and they all were full seasons, must be your provider over there not airing it.

1 hour ago, SilverStormm said:

Re messiness - I can't speak to the scheduling over there, no idea sorry. What do you mean when you say that you can't understand the way they speak? Do you mean the accents, the vernacular, the diction, or something else?? Try closed captioning? Yes, the revamped UK version is the exact same format as the Australian one, dinners et al. 

Which Australian season stopped mid air for you? I've seen all the Aussie seasons and they all were full seasons, must be your provider over there not airing it.

Thanks, it was the provider that didn’t finish one season.  I’m happy they will have dinners as that was the best part.  One groom was talking so fast with the accent, I couldn’t understand what he was saying.  I have to get used to it I guess.  Hope I can see the entire season this time.  Thank you.

11 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Thanks, it was the provider that didn’t finish one season.  I’m happy they will have dinners as that was the best part.  One groom was talking so fast with the accent, I couldn’t understand what he was saying.  I have to get used to it I guess.  Hope I can see the entire season this time.  Thank you.

Closed captions are your friend. My wife has it on so I don't need to translate some of the people.

And just to say that's the way accents work, doesn't matter where you're from you have an accent to someone, even after 19 years in the USA I still have a Welsh accent apparently.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 9/15/2021 at 9:24 PM, candall said:

If this helps, I’ve been watching the UK version on Lifetime on Wednesday and Thursday nights.  I’m in New York.  To me UK version is a little harder to understand than Australia, but I’ll take it.  I tape so I can watch a couple of times.  It’s beautiful where they get married.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Closed captions are your friend. My wife has it on so I don't need to translate some of the people.

And just to say that's the way accents work, doesn't matter where you're from you have an accent to someone, even after 19 years in the USA I still have a Welsh accent apparently.

I’ve been told I have the New York accent, lol.  How ya doin?

21 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I'll wager that your Welsh friends and family think you sound quite American now though, heh. And yes, it always makes me chuckle when someone thinks they don't have an accent; it's merely a matter of perspective.

9 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I’ve been told I have the New York accent, lol.  How ya doin?

To my English ear, most US accents sound the same but I can distinguish a few; New York being one of them. Likewise, I'm sure most English accents sound the same to anyone not from here, despite the fact that they vary within approximately a half hour to an hour radius in any given direction.

• Like 1

This all seems so fake.  One of each couple rudely complains to the other, then they part for a little while and then magically come together to see if they can work it out. 

Thomas is going out of his way to be extreme.  The gal in Africa complaining about her spouse not being his real self is a bitch.

I think I am out.  This is even worse than the US version.

• Like 4