Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: You Beat Me to the Punch

jewel21
  • Start Topic

At a luau party with the crew, Zoey accepts Luca’s career advice, making Aaron uncomfortable. Doug and Kiela navigate a roadblock in their relationship, while Vivek tries to help Nomi and Ana take their minds off the LSATs.

Airdate: 09/02/2021

I'm hate-watching it by now, because all my shows are on hiatus and 22 minutes is the perfect amount of time to watch the show for the bus ride I take. 

Aaron and Zoey are a seriously toxic couple. They don't listen to each other, they don't communicate, they aren't in love, but in lust. Aaron doesn't respect Zoey, and Zoey doesn't respect Aaron. They are just horrid to each other. 

And Zoey gets special treatment again. She doesn't have to complete a full internship because strings are pulled. I hope the real world smacks some sense into her, because she ruins her chance to use her talents for a career. Although I imagine the "Cancel" might have tanked her prospects. 

Luca's creepy patriarchal "don't date my sister" is incredibly disgusting. If a sister did that for a little brother, society would say back-off. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, dungeonwriter said:

Aaron and Zoey are a seriously toxic couple. They don't listen to each other, they don't communicate, they aren't in love, but in lust. Aaron doesn't respect Zoey, and Zoey doesn't respect Aaron. They are just horrid to each other. 

I agree, and Luca looked like the rational one compared to Aaron. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, dungeonwriter said:

And Zoey gets special treatment again. She doesn't have to complete a full internship because strings are pulled.

Drove me crazy. If for some reason you find an internship opportunity that gives you half the required hours for your degree, fine, augment it with a second one, get advisor approval. But not if you flamed out of both early. That'd be like giving someone course credit for taking half a class, tanking it and dropping out and then doing it all over again the next semester. She gets credit for failing, twice.

I have no idea what they are doing with Nomi this season. 

This whole thing is a shame because the actor playing Aaron was showing some real comedy chops in the earlier episodes, but now they're just going back to the relationship angst well.

• Love 3
On 9/4/2021 at 1:06 AM, gesundheit said:

Drove me crazy. If for some reason you find an internship opportunity that gives you half the required hours for your degree, fine, augment it with a second one, get advisor approval. But not if you flamed out of both early. That'd be like giving someone course credit for taking half a class, tanking it and dropping out and then doing it all over again the next semester. She gets credit for failing, twice.

Especially given her academic probation for cheating, and her dropping out mid-semester, and her not only not getting the internship but completely disrupting it so badly that she was fired. 

In most schools, she'd get an F for the internship and be bounced. 

If they wanted to be more fair and still get her out, she could have been allowed to do charity hours to something like Dress for Success, and applying her talents to help the less fortunate. That would move my dial from "hell no" to "Meh, hours are hours, she's doing decent work, give her a C and let her be out of our hair." 

But no, Zoey needs to get her way by coasting. 

• Love 3
On 9/5/2021 at 10:36 PM, dungeonwriter said:

Especially given her academic probation for cheating, and her dropping out mid-semester, and her not only not getting the internship but completely disrupting it so badly that she was fired. 

In most schools, she'd get an F for the internship and be bounced. 

If they wanted to be more fair and still get her out, she could have been allowed to do charity hours to something like Dress for Success, and applying her talents to help the less fortunate. That would move my dial from "hell no" to "Meh, hours are hours, she's doing decent work, give her a C and let her be out of our hair." 

But no, Zoey needs to get her way by coasting. 

Hate watching at this point as well. The show had genuine promise at the beginning and I really enjoyed the college atmosphere, but like I say every time I talk about this show, I cannot relate to any part of it anymore. 

Zoey's charmed life where she gets incredible opportunities despite putting forth zero effort, these incredibly lavish parties (seriously, how are college students staging these extravaganzas?), the other characters fading from weekly co-starts into one-note extras with barely any screen time, Aaron and Zoey's ridiculous relationship that doesn't feel earned at all...it's just a big jumble of unreality.

• Love 3
On 9/8/2021 at 1:00 PM, ljenkins782 said:

The show had genuine promise at the beginning and I really enjoyed the college atmosphere, but like I say every time I talk about this show, I cannot relate to any part of it anymore. 

S01 was really good. I'm far past my college years but I could totally relate to S01. Then the pulled a Friends in S02 with the girls living in an apartment that is nicer than any apartment kids that age could afford, just like the old Friends apartment that Monica had, completely unrealistic unless you're rolling in cash. Now they live in this Spanish hacienda manse? Come on Show, get real! They should be living in a shitty little bungalow or garden apartment in the Valley. Not living large in a home that mid career professionals would buy. It's just become so unrealistic now. And then they try to jam in issues of the day to be current, but it doesn't work because the person the show revolves around, Zoey, has become an awful character that is difficult to root for.

Nomi's story could have been really interesting but it got diluted and back burnered. Ditto the separation of close knit twins, and the sex story lines of Anna and Javi is just ridiculous now. Ironically, the one character that was a buffoon and a cartoon character originally, Vivek, has become the one character that seems realistic, and that's even a stretch because how is he paying his way right now?