Type keyword(s) to search

Motel Makeover - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The upspeak and vocal fry nearly did me in while watching this. It baffles me how their motels make money when their "brand" is so generically "Instagram influencer". Nothing they changed looked "high end" enough to warrant the booking prices. And what's with the fake plants?!? My boyfriend commented that the clientele seemed to be the same people who fell for the Fyre festival fraud.

• Love 2

Their voices were a bit annoying. It was funny as some of the time they did stop the vocal fry so it seemed a bit put on as it really seemed to come and go. 

I guess I am old as Instagram photos is not what I pay for in a hotel lol.

I thought the design was okay for a budget reno. Not a super fan of everything being coral and blush tones without some kind of contrast for balance. The washrooms they did with blue I liked better. I found out there was a design company behind this so I am less impressed overall then as somethings felt a little DIY design. Looking up their first June Hotel, it also has a lot of blush tones but seems more interesting.

I think the pool area and the A frame were the best designed. Their apartment kitchen I didn’t really like as it was tone on tone of coral and pink with nothing to break it up for me. I think the idea of open shelves which they didn’t end up doing would have been nicer.

They don’t really only serve Rose right? Are people really that into Rose?

Edited by fountain
  • Love 1

To me, the time-capsule-like quality of watching the reality of the pandemic slowly break over everything was the most interesting part of the show, dredging back lots of memories of what processing those events was like for me. I'm honestly baffled by how all-consumingly they pursued the "basic white girl" aesthetic. I'm no influencer or design guru, but a lot of the elements they were obsessed with already feel quite dated. I'm not saying people don't still like avocado toast and rose, but making that your entire personality feels like pretty 2017 to me. I guess the problem with theming your business around the latest trends is that they don't stay the latest for very long.

• Love 3

I watched this & the vocal fry killed me, it was all I could hear. I didn't even know vocal fry was a big thing in Canada, does anyone know if there's a specific region it happens in, or is it all over the country? I think these motels (who is June? Did they say?) are really just meant for girl's weekends, I can't think all that pink would be appealing to a lot of guys.

• Useful 1

I heard about this show in some outlet that while I am not sure where, it was somewhere that caters to my demographic, upper-middle class middle aged people that have an interest in design and they made it sound like something I would genuinely enjoy.

I made it through the entire thing and I was actually SHOCKED at how terrible both of them are and their "designs" are, everything is SO CHEAP and looks like something that would only look good in a low resolution Instagram. They are like mid-thirties, wtf is this with the obsession with fake plants and rosé? Spray painting things, cheap wine and fake plants is not a personality and that seems to be what they think their entire one is. It's like they are trying to decorate a dorm room with Walmart gift cards.

FAKE PLANTS? They are acting like a snake plant is like some rare orchid, just have the maid throw a glass of water into it every couple of days.

Painted countertops? Blue vinyl pool liner? Maybe their obsession with cheap wine is just to make sure their guests are too drunk to notice how terrible everything is.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

The fake plants killed me. One of the larger plants was $300. The women said something about how "good fake plants aren't cheap." A real ficus is AT MOST a third of that price.

Every time I saw that they painted the entire front of the dishwasher--buttons and all--in the apartment, I was dumbstruck.

"Apricot" is just orangey-peach and it's hideous.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Who PAINTS COUNTERTOPS WITH WALL PAINT?! THAT IS NOT A THING!

And believe me, I am not a plant person, I often semi-seriously joke that our dogs would be dead if they didn't remind me to feed and water them. But they do, seriously, like, literally just as I was writing this I got the bark telling me that it is almost dinner time. But we have multiple house plants, pick a hardy plant and just like throw a glass of water you didn't finish on them on occasion instead of dumping it in the sink. 

Edited by John M

The last two apartments I've lived in have had painted countertops. Painted countertops look just as cheap up close as they do from far away. They also wear down horribly.

My last apartment had a painted bathtub. The building had been there since the late 1960s, so the tub was an old porcelain tub like I grew up with, but it was painted with something cheap that flaked. The circa-1973 tub in my childhood home never needed painting after my mom raised my two sisters and me, who shared the bathroom it was in.

Seriously, if I hear the word "Junify" one more time...

There was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of Becky from The Sorry Girls in the last episode, though. That was cool.

Honestly, if not for the pandemic, I would have had very little interest in this show. Oh, and also, their contractor was HILARIOUS. I loved him.

Them, At The Party: Here's some Rose, I can't believe you've never had it before, OHMIGOD that's like so random!!! (paraphrasing)
Him, Takes One Sip: That's awful.

I had to pause and laugh for a full thirty seconds.

Also, when he was telling them that if they wanted to open by labor day, they were going to have to make some hard choices, given the available manhours of his crew.

Them: But like we HAVE TO HAVE this, and we HAVE TO HAVE this, and HAVE TO HAVE this! We CAN'T choose, they all HAVE to happen!
Him: I understand you feel that way, but this is a conversation about reality.

BWAAAAHHAAAAHAAAHAAA!!!!

Rick, you win television. You are awesome.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

He was not amused by their antics. The man has no poker face. I, too, have no patience for adults who think they are cute but are actually obnoxious.

The fact that he gave them a whole car (non-operating, but still) to thank them for the work--I hope he was paid WELL for his work and time.

• Love 3