Type keyword(s) to search

S1.E03: Quantum Entanglement

• Start Topic

Flamboyant, eccentric Eileen wants to spend time with her estranged daughter and her family, but they refuse to see her. Disillusioned physics professor Charles wants to know if there is something more out there.

With Debi Morgan as Eileen and Cliff Chamberlain as Charles.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode more than last week's. I love the relationship between Elena and Ruby. They seem more like partners then boss and employee which is a nice change from the original show. I felt Ruby's struggle between her old and new lives.

• Love 4

I kind of liked this one, it was just silly enough to hold my attention all the way through. I am guessing that as long as Eileen is touching you, you can hear her. I thought it was weird that the family was celebrating but I didn't see the kid anywhere. I hope they didn't leave him alone in his room because that was what they thought was so unforgivable about Eileen.

No dog sighting. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

This was pretty fun, with Debbie Morgan really making it work. I didn’t expect the professor’s fantasy to cross over to hers. I do agree that barely two fantasies is looking obvious and a little strange with this new version. Given they were still filming this Spring, it probably is due to Covid protocols

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1

"Nightmare Hellscape Island." Doesn't quite roll as well off the tongue, lol.

Well at least Ruby's old lady voice was useful in this episode. I still can't stand it though, mainly because I know it's the actress' weak gimmick. She's no Meryl Streep, IMO.

Too bad the show didn't find a way to use Weird Science in this episode's soundtrack.

Duck bacon? Is that like turkey burger? 😖

She is looking good for 70 years old!

Unless she's recently started lying about her age, Debbi Morgan is only 64, about to turn 65 next month. The character she played here was said to be in her 70s though. Either way, yeah she does look fabulous.

It was nice to see Debbi Morgan again - I remember her from All My Children back in the ‘80s. But I was pretty meh on this episode in general. Didn’t really care much about Charles. And the rapprochement between Eileen and her family was way too easy and quickly wrapped up with a neat bow. IRL that wouldn’t be so easy.

• Love 5

I think Elena is different from OG Roarke because while she seems to know what's going on, "the island" is making things happen. 80's Roarke would literally turn his wrist and supernatural things would happen.

5 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

It was nice to see Debbi Morgan again - I remember her from All My Children back in the ‘80s. But I was pretty meh on this episode in general. Didn’t really care much about Charles. And the rapprochement between Eileen and her family was way too easy and quickly wrapped up with a neat bow. IRL that wouldn’t be so easy.

I remember her from General Hospital / Port Charles.

I’m supposed to believe that Charles and Eileen became romantic  in less than 24 hours?  I’m not buying it.  

And Eileen went from selfish to considerate in the same amount of time? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3

Okay, I admit I'm a grumpy party of one, but this episode just seemed so blah and basic.  Sure they added the "magical" cloak of invisibility, but it seems like the daughter could have shared her memories and perspective with her mother for way less money than the invisible fantasy (if a fantasy is invisible, did it happen?).

Oh, and I thought the location of the island was a secret so how did Debbi Morgan get a ride on a helicopter there?

And I just don't think Ruby adds anything (at least Tattoo had the all important task of announcing the planes...).  It seems like the show is promoting the idea that advice that one could easily get from a neighbor, friend, or relative is unique and rare and can only be gained by spending the bucks to go to the island.

And Elena asks the guests upon arrival what the island can do for them, but she already knows.  Hmmm.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I’m supposed to believe that Charles and Eileen became romantic  in less than 24 hours?  I’m not buying it.  

And Eileen went from selfish to considerate in the same amount of time? 

And that's why it's called FANTASY Island 😜

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

And Elena asks the guests upon arrival what the island can do for them, but she already knows.  Hmmm.

I noticed that too, but didn't the original Roarke do that too? I'm sure it's just a plot device to get the viewers up to speed. It's kind of clunky though

• Love 1
On 8/24/2021 at 7:16 PM, AnimeMania said:

I thought it was weird that the family was celebrating but I didn't see the kid anywhere. I hope they didn't leave him alone in his room because that was what they thought was so unforgivable about Eileen.

Franklin was playing in the surf when the family was at the beach. and in a bassinet at the cabin (where Eileen gave him cuddles).

On 8/26/2021 at 8:43 PM, seacliffsal said:

Okay, I admit I'm a grumpy party of one, but this episode just seemed so blah and basic.  Sure they added the "magical" cloak of invisibility, but it seems like the daughter could have shared her memories and perspective with her mother for way less money than the invisible fantasy (if a fantasy is invisible, did it happen?).

Oh, and I thought the location of the island was a secret so how did Debbi Morgan get a ride on a helicopter there?

And I just don't think Ruby adds anything (at least Tattoo had the all important task of announcing the planes...).  It seems like the show is promoting the idea that advice that one could easily get from a neighbor, friend, or relative is unique and rare and can only be gained by spending the bucks to go to the island.

I don't know about this mixing of the Fantasies thing, anyway. 

The Tattoo role was to ask Roarke who so-and-so is and why they're on the island. He also padded out the stories once in a while with some scheme or other. Later on, he would off guests more human advice than Roarke could. There's some stories about how the role of Tattoo was expanded and diminished based on the actor's issues with the show.

Yeah, it wrapped up too easily;  too many years of neglect forgiven too fast and the characters fell in love too quickly and easily, but it was kind of fun.  I enjoyed it.  I guess I can forgive the speed for an hourlong show and just happy they aren't dragging storylines through multiple episodes.

I like LadyRoarke.  Not sure about Ruby, yet.  I don't dislike her, maybe I just don't get what the island found so enthralling about her to pick her from the thousands of guests.  I felt sad for her, though, when she was missing her family.  I wonder if, at some, point, it might be worth it to her so go back to say goodbye.  She won't have much time before she dies, I would imagine.  And it might mess up her family seeing her after all this time, so, no, I'm just rambling...  The white outfits, however, remain fabulous.

• Love 3
On 8/28/2021 at 7:10 PM, ketose said:

I don't know about this mixing of the Fantasies thing, anyway. 

It happened on the original series, too. Literally the only plot I remember from when I watched as a kid was a man who wanted to date twins (at the same time) 'crossed over' with a woman who wanted to be two persons (she acted as both twins).

Which is a long way of saying I didn't mind the two fantasies interacting. I assume that Eileen and Skeptical Dude is just an island fling, so it didn't bother me too much, though it was surprising they went there.

• Love 2

I'm so in on this show. I just really like the whole vibe of it.

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for the holes in the plot/storylines. Escape my normally frazzled mind.

I absolutely love the Elena character. The actress is nailing it for me. So believable to me she's related to Mr. Roarke.

I also like Kiara Barnes in this. She got ripped to shreds on the bold and beautiful thread here but I never thought she was so bad. Playing now a 70+ woman in a 25 year old body is a challenge, and she is hitting it in my opinion!

I watched The Love Boat and the original Fantasy Island years ago with my mom. It would be so cool to see Love Boat rebooted. I like shows like this with guest stars and storylines that wrap up per episode.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, Trini said:

It happened on the original series, too. Literally the only plot I remember from when I watched as a kid was a man who wanted to date twins (at the same time) 'crossed over' with a woman who wanted to be two persons (she acted as both twins).

Which is a long way of saying I didn't mind the two fantasies interacting. I assume that Eileen and Skeptical Dude is just an island fling, so it didn't bother me too much, though it was surprising they went there.

So, this almost never happened. Per Wikipedia

Each episode would alternate between two or three independent storylines as the guests experienced their fantasies and interacted with Roarke. When reruns of the series went into syndication, a half-hour version was offered, in which each hour-long original show was split to two separate half-hour shows in which only one guest's story was told in each half-hour episode. This made it obvious that the original episodes had been planned in such a way that each guest or family got off the plane separately, did not interact with the other guest or family, and was given almost exactly half the time of the original episode.

I kind of liked this one. 

The show is growing in me.  It's not Emmy worth but good for light entertainment. 

I agree tattooine doesn't add much to the show and seems to have little role in all this. 

I also don't mind the question 'what can the island do for you'.  I'm sure she has an idea what they are there for but the first hand description by the visitor adds a different element to whatever she knows. 

And yes it's a plot device for the viewers but it's not a useless question. 

Also I started thinking I used to watch the original all the time but I can't recall one specific story from it other than one where roark goes head to head with another guest in some sort of personal match up.  I remember them arm wrestling over tarantulas. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The show is growing in me.  It's not Emmy worth but good for light entertainment. 

I agree tattooine doesn't add much to the show and seems to have little role in all this. 

I also don't mind the question 'what can the island do for you'.  I'm sure she has an idea what they are there for but the first hand description by the visitor adds a different element to whatever she knows. 

Also I started thinking I used to watch the original all the time but I can't recall one specific story from it other than one where roark goes head to head with another guest in some sort of personal match up.  I remember them arm wrestling over tarantulas. 

Before I started the rewatch, I mostly remembered the episode where Tattoo got into an accident and there were a bunch of flashbacks while Roarke stayed by his side. Ironically, it was near the end of season 6 and while Tattoo ended up okay, Hervé Villechaize didn't make it to season 7.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:43 PM, Trini said:

I just saw an original episode a few days ago  with david doyle (  bosley original charlies angels)   his business is  kaput  so his fantasy is  to have  a assassin kill him so his wife and young children (on the island with him)   will get his life insurance,   then he received a telegram with a tremedous offer that would   make him rich, he tries to call off the assassin to no avail.....until  the end where we find out the assassin is a total weak mommas boy and being a tough in control assassin was HIS fantasy!  and rourke had his mother arrive and drag him off!

Edited by sue450
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/29/2021 at 9:42 PM, seasons said:

I'm so in on this show. I just really like the whole vibe of it.

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for the holes in the plot/storylines. Escape my normally frazzled mind.

I absolutely love the Elena character. The actress is nailing it for me. So believable to me she's related to Mr. Roarke.

I also like Kiara Barnes in this. She got ripped to shreds on the bold and beautiful thread here but I never thought she was so bad. Playing now a 70+ woman in a 25 year old body is a challenge, and she is hitting it in my opinion!

I watched The Love Boat and the original Fantasy Island years ago with my mom. It would be so cool to see Love Boat rebooted. I like shows like this with guest stars and storylines that wrap up per episode.

love boat was rebooted once   they called it  love boat the next wave  1998 1999  with robert urich as the captain.... but is has been long enoungh that they could give it a go again

On 8/31/2021 at 6:05 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I remember in the original how rourke would say  "once your fantasy starts it must play out to the end I cannot stop it".......but once in a while he would show up in disguise and could influence where the story went

I’m thinking it’s because she wants to hear the guests’ expectations in their OWN words. What they want and what they need to get there might be entirely different-case in point, the mother’s early (vociferous) complaints about how the fantasy was rolling out! This way, Elena can anticipate problems and be prepared to deal with them effectively. 

• Love 1

Maybe it is part of the magical invocation, that you have to actually be on the island and speak directly to it, for island to grant your fantasy.

• Useful 1
On 9/5/2021 at 4:20 PM, WAnglais1 said:

Wasn't it 1967 in Cuba? Or 68? If either of those years, "Suspicious Minds" by Elvis wasn't released until 1969.

I hate to be "that guy," but things like that bug me. 

I think you are absolutely right, and if they’d given it any thought at all, the line would have referenced an earlier Elvis song as the hottest trends might be somewhat slower to arrive in Cuba. Uh oh, this is in the wrong episode thread, sorry. 

Edited by Daff
On 8/30/2021 at 12:42 AM, seasons said:

Couldn't agree more about Elena.   Sometimes she seems to be channeling Ricardo Montalban.   And she is very likeable.

On the other hand, I do not like Ruby.   The elderly woman in the young woman's body characterization gives me a creepy feeling, particularly her creaky voice and old lady speech patterns.   I am always glad when she exits the scene.

You may get your wish re: Love Boat.  I heard on CBS FM radio the other day that The Love Boat is being rebooted as a reality show series, on an actual cruise with actors recreating the roles of the crew from the show and real couples competing for some kind of prize.

• Love 1