Type keyword(s) to search

Charlie's Angels - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/2/2016 at 8:58 AM, Jan Spears said:

Episode 10 - Angels on Campus - 11/28/79

Note: The original third episode of the season was Avenging Angel, which was one of Jaclyn's "Solo Angel" episodes in Season 4. I've substituted Angels on Campus in my reviewing order because (a) it's a Tiffany-centric episode that sets up the character of Tiffany Welles perfectly, and (b) it was one of the first episodes filmed for the season. (We know this because a shot from Angels on Campus appears in Shelley's opening credits sequence during Angels Go Truckin' and thereafter.)

Synopsis: When two members of Tiffany's college sorority go missing under mysterious circumstances, the Angels and Bosley head to campus to investigate. Tiffany poses as a writer and moves back into her college sorority house, Kris pretends to be an adult student auditing an English class, Kelly acts as a scout from a professional football team and Bosley poses as a former insurance salesman writing a book.

Under normal circumstances, I'm not a fan of the Angel-centric or "Solo Angel" format. I'll make an exception in this case because this episode really develops the Tiffany Welles character in terms of her personality and her ability to take the lead in professionally managing an investigation. After having introduced Shelley in Love Boat Angels and then having given her a big part in Angels Go Truckin', this would have been the ideal time for the producers to air this episode because it establishes the character of Tiffany Welles and, in retrospect, disproves the notion that Shelley Hack couldn't act. (Or, to put it another way, she was no worse than any of the other female leads were when they started, with the exception of Kate Jackson.) For whatever reasons(s), though, the producers held this episode until November at which point the "Shelley isn't fitting in" legend had taken hold.

The rest of the episode is an up-and-down affair with some suspenseful moments (Tiffany being stalked in a locked locker room) and some ridiculous ones (a volleyball game between rival sororities.) Jaclyn (in particular) and Cheryl are underused but David Doyle has some amusing moments.

Interesting appearances: This episode is like a 'Who's Who' of 70s TV actors with Gary Collins, Nita Talbot and Jo Ann Pflug all enrolling (yuck, yuck, yuck) in this one.

Grades:

A (as a Tiffany-centric episode)

B+ (as a Charlie's Angels episode)

I don’t think this was filmed as early as you think. The original opening sequence for Season 4 had a different ending clip in the Tiffany credits at first. Later in the season, the one from Angels On Campus where Shelley is in red and has her hair straight - the clip that is shown on the dvd now - was inserted as a second version or second edition of the opening sequence replacing the original clip that was used. Someone has actually posted the rare original opening credits to Season 4 on YouTube. I remember the change as well. So for those reasons, I believe the Angels on Campus episode was indeed filmed later and they chose a clip to replace Shelley’s opening sequence with. But to your point, I think this episode would have for sure made a better introduction to the Tiffany character had they aired it earlier in the season. However, I don’t think the regular stable of writers on staff thought highly of Shelley Hack’s acting ability and thus didn’t want to write for her so it took new outside writers to finally create and produce a decent Tiffany-centric character-establishing episode and get it in the can.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:10 AM, Gloria Gibson said:

I don’t think this was filmed as early as you think. The original opening sequence for Season 4 had a different ending clip in the Tiffany credits at first. Later in the season, the one from Angels On Campus where Shelley is in red and has her hair straight - the clip that is shown on the dvd now - was inserted as a second version or second edition of the opening sequence replacing the original clip that was used. Someone has actually posted the rare original opening credits to Season 4 on YouTube. I remember the change as well. So for those reasons, I believe the Angels on Campus episode was indeed filmed later and they chose a clip to replace Shelley’s opening sequence with. But to your point, I think this episode would have for sure made a better introduction to the Tiffany character had they aired it earlier in the season. However, I don’t think the regular stable of writers on staff thought highly of Shelley Hack’s acting ability and thus didn’t want to write for her so it took new outside writers to finally create and produce a decent Tiffany-centric character-establishing episode and get it in the can.

Thanks for the interesting tidbit!

I continue to stand by my preferred running order for establishing the character of Tiffany Welles:

Love Boat Angels (Tiffany joins the team. Expresses her fears and doubts to Bosley.)

Angels Go Truckin' (Tiffany starts to integrate into the team. Tiffany and Kris have a blast as truckers.)

Angels On Campus (Gives Tiffany's backstory.)

Angel Hunt (Tiffany overcomes the fears and doubts expressed in the season opener.)

In the long run, this running order may not have made a difference regarding audience acceptance for the character of Tiffany and her portrayer, Shelley Hack. Kate Jackson was irreplaceable in many respects. Still, I think this running order would have given Tiffany (and Shelley) more of a fighting chance. 

On 9/5/2016 at 2:55 PM, Jan Spears said:

I hate this episode with an absolute passion and I hate it because the core story -- two Angels fighting over some guy like they are in junior high school -- directly contradicts the show's central premise as established over four seasons. That premise depicts three articulate, capable female professionals working together to achieve a common purpose, and doing so as friends whose friendships with one another trump everything else in their lives. By having Kelly and Kris fighting over some guy they have only known for no more than a few weeks (based on the progression of the story), they come across as juvenile idiots. When Bosley lays into the Patrick Duffy character for breaking up the team and destroying a friendship, I can't help but think that he should be saying this to Kelly and Kris. Infuriating!

I hate "One Love...Two Angels" as well for the reasons you have stated so well.  I remember complaining vehemently to my mother after seeing this episode for the first time on TV Land.  She said that women do fight over men sometimes, and I breathlessly replied, "WOMEN, not Angels!"  And even though it was too convenient a way out of their predicament, I still cheered when Mr. Brady killed Patrick Duffy's character.  I think I had a cold the first time I saw the episode, so I was extra-irritable.  I kind of wanted to smack Kris when Kelly--despite the rift between them--went out of her way to thank Kris for saving her even though usually such things went unspoken, and Kris said, "That was for Bill."  So you care more about some guy you knew for five minutes than your best friend, and can't even pretend to be gracious?  Okay then.  Neither of them came off particularly well in this episode, but Kris was especially bratty.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I hate "One Love...Two Angels" as well for the reasons you have stated so well.  I remember complaining vehemently to my mother after seeing this episode for the first time on TV Land.  She said that women do fight over men sometimes, and I breathlessly replied, "WOMEN, not Angels!"  And even though it was too convenient a way out of their predicament, I still cheered when Mr. Brady killed Patrick Duffy's character.  I think I had a cold the first time I saw the episode, so I was extra-irritable.  I kind of wanted to smack Kris when Kelly--despite the rift between them--went out of her way to thank Kris for saving her even though usually such things went unspoken, and Kris said, "That was for Bill."  So you care more about some guy you knew for five minutes than your best friend, and can't even pretend to be gracious?  Okay then.  Neither of them came off particularly well in this episode, but Kris was especially bratty.

Same here! And I was so excited when I first saw the beginning of this episode and saw Bobby Ewing Patrick Duffy, who I was totally in love with at the time. I hate what he did, starting something with Kris when he was already or had just started a romance with Kelly.

And so With YOU about Kris acting like a brat, and how she luuuuurved Bill more than Kelly had and treating Kelly as if KELLY was the one poaching. Stupid twit. And for once I was happy and sad, because, hey, hot Bobby Ewing, Patrick Duffy, that Mike Brady killed him. But then I consoled myself when Friday nights rolled around and could enjoy him as the wonderful Bobby Ewing who didn't cheat and loved his wife and family and never let his big brother, JR get away with his shit.

• Love 1

I’ve been watching this on MeTV and I just realized that Kris annoys me, and what annoys me even more is the show writing plots that are Kris central as if she were an only child; that she didn’t have a sister, Jill, who made several cameos. In the same season where those two episodes that bug me the most and treat Kris as though her adult life has been unfulfilling (“Angel on My Mind”) and having amnesia where snippets of memories show her playing by herself, with no mention of Jill or that none of her memories included Jill with them as children. The show didn’t actually spell it out, because it wasn’t some deep and layered drama, but I could see they were close and loved each other. I just ??? when at the end she talked about how nice it was to be reminded that she had a happy childhood.

Then there was “Angels on Vacation” where they’ve gone to Arizona to visit Kris’s[ uncle-not her and Jill’s’ but her uncle. Someone shevisited as a kid. Not her AND Jill. I don’t know why it’s suddenly bugging me, or rather how it suddenly dawned on me, but it does.

Another thing that I noticed was how Farrah improved as an actress in her cameos. Though of course in her first one, her shock and tears when her fiancé died/was murdered wasn’t that good. But I loved seeing the original three together at the end of that episode-more believable seeing Sabrina and Kelly walking on the beach with Jill and providing love and support. Shouid have ended that episode with just those three.

Was it written in Farrah’s contract she had to make three appearances because she quit after the first season? Or was that a condition to agreeing to let her quit? Or was she just willing to make the guest appearances because she was asked? They were spread out over seasons 2-5. Neither Jaclyn, Cheryl or Tanya were featured in her last stint when Jill was kidnapped. At least, I don’t recall them in it. And only Bosley showing up in the end when Jill brought that one son of the kidnapper a chocolate cake. 

After Farrah's popularity exploded, she decided she refused to return after the first season even though she was still under contract (I believe she was egged on by then husband Lee Majors).  There was a lawsuit and as part of the settlement she agreed to do several additional episodes.

• Love 1
On 8/25/2018 at 10:19 PM, Maverick said:

After Farrah's popularity exploded, she decided she refused to return after the first season even though she was still under contract (I believe she was egged on by then husband Lee Majors).  There was a lawsuit and as part of the settlement she agreed to do several additional episodes.

I was wondering if that was the case. And I stand corrected-her last appearance “An Angel’s Trail” happened in the fourth season and we did see the regular cast right after Jill was taken hostage.

And another thing has caught my eye at the end of the third and in the fourth season-the rings Jaclyn Smith was wearing. Starting with ”Teen Angel” -looks like a wedding ring set. Then the rings are on her right finger in the next episode. Then no sign of them until season four! Don’t ask why I suddenly noticed. In one episode, name which I’m blanking on, the rings were on her finger, her hand laying on one of the throw cushions in the office, the camera panned to Kris, then when it returned to Kelly, the rings weren’t there anymore.

I’m fully aware that Jaclyn was married to Dennis Cole from ‘78-‘80, who made three appearances. It was something I just noticed probably because I’m marathon watching on dvd right now.

Bur man, did the quality go down after Kate left. Episodes focused more on the bad guys and their PLAAANS, and less on the women.

And Charlie is a JACKASS.

I’m posting this here as it has to do with other shows -a la True Hollywood Story about this show.

I was trying to find the series finale online so I could watch it, but no luck. I did, however, come across something Biography did-Charlie’s Angels Documentary. I’m not sure when it was aired-late ‘90s? Only Goldberg, Smith and Ladd were interviewed. And boy did they gloss over Farrah’s departure and how she ended up returning.

There were also some writers, and the wardrobe person and one avid fan. The wardrobe guy really hated Kate. 

Then there was that tabloidy TV Guide: The Truth Behind the Rumors which SHRED Kate unbelievably. And this one talked about how Lee Majors being a chauvinist pig was the reason behind Farrah wanting to leave. This “special” was in 1998. Again, only Jaclyn was interviewed, or rather, agreed to do it. The one with Kate was from 1984, and while she was on the set of Scarecrow & Mrs. King.?

The interviews with Farrah were all post-Charlie’s Angels in the late ‘70s. 

But HOLY HELL! I never knew that someone had attacked Jaclyn and tried to rape her!??

And as far as I know and from Len Goldberg’s own MOUTH, Kate gave them plenty of notice about leaving after the third season. The tabloidy show tried to make it sound like she quit leaving them to scrabble to find someone else and the fact that Shelly “couldn’t act” was Kate’s fault. Oh  Brother!??

Then I found a clip of an interview with Jaclyn on the Today with Megyn Kelly. ??

What has she DONEto her FACE???!!!???? looks like some cheek fillers and collagen to her lips. She looked Ghastly. She did NOT look like that at the Emmys in 2006, or even on her reality show Shear Genius a few years ago. Just like Priscilla Presley, I always thought Jaclyn was so naturally beautiful and didn’t need to do anything to her face. But both did and I find it sad.? 

Hey @Bastet, it turns out Kate had the mastectomy a year after Scarecrow ended. Unless the “researchers” got it wrong.

And I never realized the last season was only 16 episodes. And that it didn’t premiere until the end of November, AND that there was a four month hiatus until they aired the last four episodes. 

Well, Fuck. Got the entire series real cheap so I wouldn’t have to pay the ridiculous $40+shipping and handling for just season five and watched the premiere and finale.

Welk, they CUT the minute at the end of part one of the premiere, where Harry (OOOOH! ❤️Vic Morrow!!❤️) lay dying and Kelly, Kris and Bosley walk down the cliff and Bosley exclaims how Harry is a cop. BUT, in the finale, when Julie talks about losing someone she loves, they show that entire scene!?

And they definitely got a new stand-in to play Charlie in the finale. Dude just looked taller and younger than the one who sat in that chair for the past five seasons.

It’s always bugged me that there was never a throw away line about Kris talking to Jill and Sabrina about Kelly considering the onscreen friendship. Obviously due to the bad blood, I wouldn’t expect them to appear. Sigh...

That's too bad that the DVD still had the scene cut from the fifth season premiere.  I've only ever seen the syndicated versions (on TV Land), and I remember seeing the extended part of that scene in the finale flashback and thinking it made way more sense with the whole scene (rather than them just approaching Julie at the start of part 2 and knowing Harry was a cop without explanation).  I still don't have the season 5 DVD set, and I've just about reached the point of just copying the VHS recordings I made, especially if there is no other content.

Although she's widely considered the weakest link in the CA cast, Tanya Roberts was in a roundabout way the reason I started watching the show.  I wasn't interested in either the original run (which ended when I was in Kindergarten) or repeats for a while.  I thought Tanya was funny on That 70's Show, and TV Land was showing a CA marathon one weekend in 2000.  I started watching as a distraction from a certain baseball team's playoff ineptitude, waiting to see if they showed any of Tanya's episodes, and got hooked in the meantime.

I think I read somewhere (maybe in The Charlie's Angels Casebook I think it was called--I have it somewhere in here but the cat is on my lap) that Farrah actually had some interest in doing some more episodes after her contractually obligated 6 were completed, but they never got around to it.  I'm not sure if they didn't want her, or if it was just because ratings were down and things were kind of petering out by that point.

I think the fall season in 1980 got pushed back for the most part by an actors strike, so shows weren't starting until November/December.  Sort of like what happened in 1988 when there was a lengthy writers strike.  The hiatus at the end was probably just one of those "we don't like the ratings, so regardless of the show's history, we're going to drop it from the schedule and burn it off after the season" kind of things.  Except in this case they at least showed the episodes in correct order and didn't try to run the finale in May sweeps and dump the others to air out of order later (like say, A Different World or The Nanny for a couple of examples).

I saw Jaclyn on Queen Latifah's talk show a few years back.  She was demonstrating some martial arts moves and flipped a guy, who may or may not have been prepared for it.  I was worried that she or the show could have been sued if he had been injured!  She was featured on The Insider a year or two ago, showing off some home decor (maybe for the holidays), but I don't think I was paying much attention so I don't know what her face was like then.

• Love 1

I've been watching on MeTV too and I've always liked Kris better than Jill [both as a kid and now].  Tiffany was my least favorite but I do have a weird fondness for that ghost episode.  What has been cracking me up throughout though, is just how bad the show is.    I know computers and google etc. were not around then, but damn!... they use their real first and last names when going "undercover."  Seems like it would be fairly easy to discover where they really lived/worked even back in that era.  Also, Sabrina's undercover persona almost every time seemed to be some gum chewing NY/NJ persona with a horrible accent.  And in the S4 ep with Kris going undercover in prison [whoo hoo, she used a different last name this time!], it was like she was checking into a hotel -- wearing a dress & heels, and carrying two pieces of luggage, despite the fact that she was supposedly being transferred from a county jail.  LOL.  

On 10/31/2018 at 9:10 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Season One will be back starting next Monday! Of course they’re not airing the pilot, but starting with “Hellride.”  But that’s okay. I’m just glad to have the Original Three back.

I’ve always wondered why the pilot isn’t shown in syndication? It could be cut down, right? I remember watching the pilot when it originally aired (I’m 53) and, I remember thinking this is the greatest show ever. LOL!! The  pilot was so good. It had a different tone because they were more grifters then detectives. 

I really do love this show! The only season I can't handle is the Tanya Roberts one. I hate that the remake tv series and movies continued the trend of having non-cops as Angels. I don't see how that twist adds anything. When it comes to the controversy of Shelley Hack, I feel she was done a disservice. She was an excellent choice and fit in well, but centered the episodes around one angel meant she didn't do anything for weeks. Once she got episodes centered around herself I loved Tiffany. She had chemistry with the girls, was very attractive and brought a classy quality to the series. I feel like had they kept her the show would've lasted a lot longer. They simply didn't give viewers a chance to truly love her.

• Love 1
On 11/17/2018 at 3:24 AM, KnotsLanding said:

I really do love this show! The only season I can't handle is the Tanya Roberts one. I hate that the remake tv series and movies continued the trend of having non-cops as Angels. I don't see how that twist adds anything. When it comes to the controversy of Shelley Hack, I feel she was done a disservice. She was an excellent choice and fit in well, but centered the episodes around one angel meant she didn't do anything for weeks. Once she got episodes centered around herself I loved Tiffany. She had chemistry with the girls, was very attractive and brought a classy quality to the series. I feel like had they kept her the show would've lasted a lot longer. They simply didn't give viewers a chance to truly love her.

Considering Shelly Hack’s 2 hour introduction episode was about Cheryl Ladd didn’t bode well for her. I have heard different stories why it was all about Kris. One was that Shelly Hadk was hired so late that they didn’t have a script ready for any new actress. The other story I heard was that they realized that Shelly Hack couldn’t act on set her first day. I think that may have been on location before doing the interior studio stuff. As the season went on they kept re-writing the scripts and taking lines away for her until she was fired. Apparently, she didn’t even really audition per se. She had a conversations with TPTB but not an actual “acting” audition. I thought she was awful. She could barely walk to the couch in her opening scene and act at the same time. There was so many actresses that were up for the role at that time. It’s too bad they didn’t take their time in the casting department. I think Nolan Miller just wanted her hired so he could dress her. She had the perfect model body for his designs. 

Casting calls for Jackson's replacement began during the summer of 1979. Several up-and-coming actresses were considered for the role, including Barbara Bach, Connie Sellecca, Shari Belafonte, and newcomer Michelle Pfeiffer. Pfeiffer was a personal favorite with some of the producers, however, her screen test showed her inexperienced acting talents and she was passed over for the part. ABC producers auditioned Charlie perfume girl Shelley Hack and cast her as Jackson's replacement. Producer Spelling loved the idea of the headline "The Charlie Girl Becomes A Charlie's Angel"

• Love 2

I recently re-bought the seasons, because i was on a nostalgia trip (I also bought The Bionic Woman). I watched the Angels Forever featurette, which always cracks me up. The way they were describing how each show opens with a shot of feet walking, a woman opening the door and saying "What are you doing here?" and then getting attacked is exactly the same way the original Charmed pilot episode starts. Not surprising since it had the same creator/producer. Another plot taken from CA for Charmed was the one where Sabrina gets a bomb strapped on her and the guy has a remote trigger. They used that in Charmed episode Secrets & Guys.

I was watching Farrah's first forced return episode, Angel Come Home. Oh my God, she had a different outfit and hairdo for every scene! I always wondered how those episodes were for Cheryl Ladd. She already got the cold shoulder from Kate anyways, the three of them back together must've been hell for her.

On 11/17/2018 at 2:24 AM, KnotsLanding said:

I really do love this show! The only season I can't handle is the Tanya Roberts one.

She was good in her 2 parter intro episode. She seemed to be an interesting "streetwise" character, but then she just became terrible. Trying to move the show to Hawaii didn't help.  I doubt I will buy Season 5. It's too expensive and not worth it.

I actually liked quite a few from the Shelley Hack season.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:01 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I was trying to find the series finale online so I could watch it, but no luck. I did, however, come across something Biography did-Charlie’s Angels Documentary. I’m not sure when it was aired-late ‘90s? Only Goldberg, Smith and Ladd were interviewed. And boy did they gloss over Farrah’s departure and how she ended up returning.

There were also some writers, and the wardrobe person and one avid fan. The wardrobe guy really hated Kate. 

Then there was that tabloidy TV Guide: The Truth Behind the Rumors which SHRED Kate unbelievably. And this one talked about how Lee Majors being a chauvinist pig was the reason behind Farrah wanting to leave. This “special” was in 1998. Again, only Jaclyn was interviewed, or rather, agreed to do it. The one with Kate was from 1984, and while she was on the set of Scarecrow & Mrs. King.?

TV Tales: Charlie's Angels is another good one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8vfYZxjxeo

On 9/25/2018 at 2:10 PM, AzraeltheCat said:

they use their real first and last names when going "undercover." 

I was just thinking about that! And Sabrina trying to tail someone in her bright orange Pinto hatchback is laughable.

Charlie's Angels fans might want to know that in two weeks, CA is going to be the weekend binge on the Decades channel. It starts at 1 p.m. EST on June 1 with S1E1, and continues in order (the timeless classic "Angels in Chains" at 4 p.m.!). Looks like they'll get midway through S3 by the time it ends. 

I noticed the seasons are only $15 on Amazon Prime so I've been buying them and rewatching. I have the entire series on DVD but since I got into streaming I havent even plugged my DVD player in and I've been in my apartment almost two years. I'm almost done with season one and it's holding up very well. I mostly am looking forward to season three and five which I've seen the least. 

I will say, the show doesn't get enough credit for what it really was, a smart mystery series that tackled some heavy subjects. I remember the ABC reboot was very comedic and only took the more salacious angles of the series to remake. Then the movies went full on comedy. The new movie does look slightly better, but I've LOVE a gritty reboot. In season one they're dealing with such heavy topics like drug addiction, sex trafficking and prostitution, but they get remembered for Jiggle TV. Yes the show is fun and the women are sexy, but I do think it was a fun and well written show. The fact that the women were beautiful is why they were so good at their jobs. The intro even states that they weren't taken seriously as cops because they were beautiful women.

I'm enjoying Jill, but I look forward to Kris' arrival. Cheryl Ladd had one of *the* most difficult jobs in TV, but she was pretty damn successful replacing a cultural phenomenon. 

• Love 1

I watch the show on MeTV occasionally when I find an episode I like.   I liked both Jill and Tiffany.   I always thought Shelly Hack got a really bad break coming in after the insanely popular Kate Jackson.     In a lot of ways she was more popular then even Farrah Fawcett.   Cheryl Ladd  everything come together for her in a right place right time right character kind of moment.   Shelley Hack wasn’t as lucky even though I thought the character of Tiffany had a lot of potential.

The two part Tanya Roberts introduction episodes were just on and they were actually a good introduction for the character.  I remember like with Shelly Hack the episodes get weird fast and the good ones in the season are never actually about her.  I actually liked a few of the Shelly Hack season episodes  Avenging Angel,  Fallen Angel,  and Caged Angel are still among my favorite episode of the series but none of the three actually centered around Shelly Hack which I think was half the problem.

The Same with Tanya Roberts,  The character of Julie Roberts was introduced in an original way for the show although the transition from part 1 to part 2 was awful.  The Angels went from thinking Julie was a drug dealer to joining up with her pretty quickly and it was the definition of "tell don't show."  That being said part 2 was actually a fun episode watching Kris dive down the rabbit hole of the dark work of modelling.  

Although I haven't seen it yet and I forget if its any good but the very next episode deals with a psychic so we are already in trouble.  

Edited by Chaos Theory

Ok I watched the psychic episode and it was nearly as bad as I feared. 

Even if the show did move permanently to Hawaii it could have transitioned better with Julie as a character if it worked for to train her as a PI but instead jumped directly into a psychic finds Kris instead of of group of private investigators .

Although Hawaii seems like a beautiful place and probably (ironically)  cheaper to film then LA my guess is that the remaining episodes are going to dress the angels in dwindling bathing suits because why not?  

Although on the plus side the actor who played one of the guest actors on one of my favorite episodes of season 4 played the villain here.  So there is that.  

Edited by Chaos Theory

I haven’t watched the Julie episodes in a long time.   I tend to skip over them.  I Like most of the Tiffany Wells episodes.  I thought Shelly Hack got a bad break and season 4 had a pretty good run until it didn’t and she got blamed.   I am not sure about Julie Roberts/Tanya Toberts.  Was it bad writing or just a bad character or both?  

9 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I haven’t watched the Julie episodes in a long time.   I tend to skip over them.  I Like most of the Tiffany Wells episodes.  I thought Shelly Hack got a bad break and season 4 had a pretty good run until it didn’t and she got blamed.   I am not sure about Julie Roberts/Tanya Toberts.  Was it bad writing or just a bad character or both?  

It was both. I LOATHE the final season. And since Julie wasn't an unappreciated cop who got dumped with grunt work, but someone who went to modeling school, the intro changed to "Once Upon a Time, there were three beautiful girls." GACK.

I like Shelly. When she joined the cast, wee me screamed: "Hey! It's the Charlie girl!" Shelly Hack did the commercials for the women's perfume Charlie. But with her hiring, the show did make a turn for the worse--for me. They glamorized all of them. As if they were all former models who were now private detectives. Gone were the casual clothes and jeans that Kelly and yes, even Kris wore, during the, let's call them the Sabrina years. And the make-up got heavier for all of them too.

Despite the show being fluffy as all get out--it wasn't a gritty drama, but the years with Kate Jackson, and Farrah, had some gravitas and yes, some grittiness, that the fourth and DEFINITELY the last season, didn't have.

I watched the last season sporadically, but only really tuned into the series finale, hoping we'd finally see Charlie. But we didn't. And the guy that was supposed to be Charlie, in those scrubs, definitely was NOT the same body double, if you will, that we saw of who Charlie was in the first two or three years. 

A few weeks ago, I was at a hotel and flipping through the channels to see what they had (there wasn't a menu) when I came across CA on ME-TV.  That would have been great, but after ten seconds, I realized it was part 2 of "One Love...Two Angels."  Ugh!  I turned it off and decided it was time to brave the 100 degree temperatures to walk to dinner.

I always felt sorry for Tiffany in that episode because she has to do pretty much all of the work while Kelly and Kris are sniping at each other and grieving some d-bag.  Because she's of course gone by the next season/episode and they just say she "decided to stay back East," I always picture her going, "I've had enough of THIS drama!" and just quitting.

• Love 1

I honestly didn’t mind One Love Two Angels.  Yes it went against the basic premise of the show but it also was at least an interesting murder mystery.   I just watched season 5 Angel On The Line and although an interesting mystery about who is stalking Kelly it turns out to be one of those offensive episodes where a crazy cross dresser going crazy cross dressing.  That always bothered me more then two friends temporarily fighting over a cute guy neither of them end up with in the end.  

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 9:59 PM, Maverick said:

COZI is showing Chorus Line Angels.  Good grief, I'd forgotten this episode and how bad it is.  A boring, uninspired plot that plods along for what seems like two hours.  That is until the plot is resolved 40 minutes into the episode with the Angels acting like the Scooby gang and unmasking the criminal.   The remaining 20 minutes entails the Angels giving the crestfallen chorus line cast a Brady Bunch-style pep talk ("if you believe in yourself, you're halfway there!" Julie chirps) and watching and overly choreographed show tune.  Oh, and if you missed any of said overly choreographed show tune?  Don't worry, because they play it again 2 seconds later.  Literally.  Not another run through, but a replay of the exact same damn scene.  This episode had more padding than an entire season of RuPaul's Drag Race.  Oh, and the male dancers in the chorus line?  All have pornstaches.  Seriously, This was the last season..it was the 80s.  No pornstaches.

They did it better in The Producers.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, Meedis said:

I'm just rewatching Season 1's Angels In Chains and noticed a big blooper.   After the Angels get arrested and go through the shower scene, their hair is all drenched up and flattened.   The next day they all have their regular permed styles back.   I doubt a prison would have their hair product needs....LOL.

That's  not the biggest blooper, however...

On 10/18/2014 at 8:18 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

But Reed is so deliciously evil, and it was the first time I saw him playing a villain, while watching the reruns of The Brady Bunch at the same time, it was quite traumatic.

Or, as it says in The Charlie's Angels Casebook, "Mr. Brady a double murderer? Say it ain't so!"

• Love 1

I'll always have a soft for Cheryl Ladd aka Kris Munroe. When Farrah left after the first season if they had gotten like Loni Anderson or Judy Anders or a similar type to replace her it would have been a disaster. But Cheryl was a different kind of blonde: approachable, girl-next-door, spunky.

• Love 3

I just watched Marathon Angels. It was annoying.  There were 22 runners including Kris and Kelly and the absolute only one of them that wasn't wearing her hair down was Kris.  Who goes long distance running with their (longer than should length) hair down, much less 21 people?

• Love 1

The music they played whenever the women were running was so distracting and annoying!  I remember watching with a friend when the show was on ION, and I kept singing it for hours after the episode was over because it was stuck in my head.  She thought it sounded like a generic version of ice cream truck music.

• Love 1

Angel on the Line: Kelly is stalked by an obscene phone caller with all the menace of a teenage boy spending his first weekend alone with said stalker turning out to be a Texas drawling cross-dresser.  

Kelly is written wildly out of character on this one.  She spends 3/4 of the episode acting literally like woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  While what she goes through would certainly terrorize the guest client/victim of the week that belongs to that annoying stock scream used in every 1970's Aaron Spelling show, it's out of character for Kelly.  She's a trained cop, has been a PI for years, has been a forced drug addict, held hostage by dune buggy rapists, kidnapped, shot at and stalked at least once previously and always was tough and handled it like a pro.  It was like they wanted to do an episode with Jaclyn playing vulnerable but when just a few episodes earlier she's handcuffed and basically telling rapey Grizzly Adams to kiss her ass it doesn't quite work. 

• Love 2

The Cozi Network had one of my favorite episodes on today "Fallen Angel"   The one where everyone thinks Jill might be a bad guy.  And I love that Kris is all stealthy and follows Jill in her very expensive car that Jill knows she has.  It is one of those things these kinds of shows is hilarous for.    Still say what you want about the Tiffany Wells season but it has three of my favorite all time episodes.  Fallen Angel, Caged Angel, and Avenging Angel.    I think that might ultimately be the problem with the season Tiffanywise.  None of them focus on her.   

I might have said this before,  

my favorite episode is Angel on the line I dunno why its just one I can watch over and over and the fact they cant tell its a man in a dress just kills me lol

On 9/24/2020 at 9:56 AM, Chaos Theory said:

The Cozi Network had one of my favorite episodes on today "Fallen Angel"   The one where everyone thinks Jill might be a bad guy.  And I love that Kris is all stealthy and follows Jill in her very expensive car that Jill knows she has.  It is one of those things these kinds of shows is hilarous for.    Still say what you want about the Tiffany Wells season but it has three of my favorite all time episodes.  Fallen Angel, Caged Angel, and Avenging Angel.    I think that might ultimately be the problem with the season Tiffanywise.  None of them focus on her.   

I might have said this before,  

• Love 1

I rewatched Circus of Terror (from Season 2) this weekend. While this was the 5th episode aired, it was the 1st episode filmed in Season 2. Consequently, Circus of Terror was Cheryl Ladd's debut as Kris Munroe on the series.

I didn't realize until I looked it up that the production was still holding out hope that Farrah Fawcett would return to the series. So, Cheryl was working on the series without knowing if she would actually be joining it permanently or not.

Regardless, she hits the ground running (literally in several instances) in her first episode. Her best chemistry is with David Doyle, and she and Jaclyn Smith work well together. There's not a lot of interaction with Kate Jackson, which would become something of a fixture for the rest of the season given Kate's reputed coolness toward Cheryl. Ironic that Kate gets her own circus tent in this episode, and Jaclyn and Cheryl share a tent.

As for the episode itself, it's still one of my favorites, especially the nighttime scenes at the circus when there's no one around but the circus performers. There's something sinister about nighttime at a circus. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Maverick said:

All the first 4 Angels had good chemistry with Bosley, but yes Cheryl had the best with him and I'm sure that's why Kris was often paired with Bosley when the undercover work required a couple.   

Cheryl has spoken about how welcoming and helpful David was during those early days when it was by no means certain that the public would accept a replacement Angel or that the show would even survive past a second season. I think some of the onscreen chemistry viewers see between Cheryl and David is in part a reflection of what was happening behind the scenes. (Shelley has said much the same thing about David and how welcoming he was when she joined the show.)

• Love 1
On 3/1/2022 at 8:25 PM, Prairie Rose said:

Here are the OG Angels posing for People in their 20th anniversary issue, 1994:

46ff8384212fbeeee265cb3190daea4a--farrah-fawcett-tv-star.jpg

Interesting photo selection People made. It might just be the photo angle but Farrah looks like she's pulling away from Kate and Jaclyn.

• Love 1

I've seen all 5 seasons of Charlie's Angels and am thinking of watching Scarecrow and Mrs. King. Is that show any good? For whatever reason, I was thinking about Kate Jackson. I was kind of startled to realize that her filmography stops at 2007 with an episode of Criminal Minds. I remember it was announced about 10 years ago she was going to publish her memoirs, but I don't think those ever came to fruition. Nothing against Shelley and Tanya, but Kate really had that unique presence and it wasn't the same without her. 

1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

I've seen all 5 seasons of Charlie's Angels and am thinking of watching Scarecrow and Mrs. King. Is that show any good?

It was my least favorite of the detective rom-coms that were all over the networks in the '80s (it's very much the CBS entry in the genre -- it's cheesier and more sanitized), but I still quite liked it then and even continued to re-watch it occasionally for long after.  But over the last five or so years, I've tried twice to do a re-watch, and couldn't get it going either time; for whatever reason, something has changed over in me and all the things that always bugged me about it now just jump up and down in my face and distract me from the things I like and I don't want to watch it.

Kate Jackson is solid in it, gets some chances to be funny, has a dramatic moment where she really shines with just facial expression and tone of voice, and an episode where she plays essentially three roles - there's a woman pretending to be Amanda, so we see Amanda, the imposter as herself, and the imposter when she's pretending to be Amanda, and Kate does an impressive job with the subtle differences between Amanda and the imposter when she's pretending to be Amanda (and clearly has fun with the imposter as herself, since she's diabolical and Amanda is so not).  And she's really good with the boys playing Amanda's kids and with Beverly Garland as Amanda's mom (who lives with them) - the family scenes are very natural right from the beginning.

Be warned she's barely in some of the final season episodes because she was dealing with cancer surgery and treatment.  And there's a really stupid storyline as the backdrop to those episodes.  And, on a petty, shallow note, she has really unfortunate hair for part of it (and generally bad '80s hair the rest of the time anyway).  But if you're in a Kate Jackson mood, I say go ahead and give it a look.  (Know going in it's very much a product of its time in terms of the technology and international politics [since it's about spies].)

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 3/4/2022 at 5:10 PM, Prairie Rose said:

Nothing against Shelley and Tanya, but Kate really had that unique presence and it wasn't the same without her. 

In retrospect, Kate was much harder to replace than Farrah. The character of Sabrina was the tie beam that held the whole thing together. Without her (and her portrayer, Kate Jackson) something went out of the series. I like Shelley Hack's portrayal of Tiffany (when they actually wrote for her) but adding a new Angel didn't solve the problem. Also, once Season 4 got started, the more senior Angels - Jaclyn Smith and Cheryl Ladd - were already beginning to check out mentally. The collapse really became apparent in Season 5 and the character of Julie (with her awkward back story) didn't help matters.

Edited by Jan Spears
  • Love 1
On 2/6/2022 at 1:54 PM, Jan Spears said:

Cheryl has spoken about how welcoming and helpful David was during those early days when it was by no means certain that the public would accept a replacement Angel or that the show would even survive past a second season. I think some of the onscreen chemistry viewers see between Cheryl and David is in part a reflection of what was happening behind the scenes. (Shelley has said much the same thing about David and how welcoming he was when she joined the show.)

Along those same lines, I think it would have been very interesting to be Jaclyn Smith during the Sabrina/Kelly/Kris years. Kate and Cheryl didn't get along, and Jackie has stayed good friends with both of them to this day. It couldn't have been easy being the one in the middle.

On 3/5/2022 at 1:47 PM, Prairie Rose said:

Along those same lines, I think it would have been very interesting to be Jaclyn Smith during the Sabrina/Kelly/Kris years. Kate and Cheryl didn't get along, and Jackie has stayed good friends with both of them to this day. It couldn't have been easy being the one in the middle.

I don't know how much Jaclyn ever kept in contact with Shelley and Tanya post-show. I suspect those relationships were professional working ones which didn't last much beyond the show. But Jaclyn managed to maintain her post-show friendships with Kate, Farrah and Cheryl even though there were some strong personalities involved (Kate in particular).

• Love 1