Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Welcome Back Kara!

• Start Topic

Zor-El, welcome to Kal-El's Fortress of Solitude.  Interested in seeing him again after so many years?  No?  You're right, it does seem like too much trouble. 

And if I read the rankings at the beginning correctly I think the Central City Citizen was ranked 4th. You really should feel bad, Andrea, you're getting beat by a media company that has two employees. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

For a show with six seasons of unrealized potential, this episode was fairly decent. The concept of a hero having PTSD, which Kara clearly seems to have, isn't something we see often or ever IIRC. And I think we all knew Zor-El's pimped-out Kal-Ex was going to go bonkers. Uncle Archie...in the "El" family, there's no better disguise than a pair of glasses, lol.

And...just for laughs, the next time Kara visits the Fortress, I'd like her to find a note from Kal-El saying "Hi Cousin, thanks for stopping by, but will you PLEASE leave my stuff alone????" Growing up, I had Cousins just like Kara - every visit from them ended with one or more of my toys being destroyed.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2

Zor-El: This planet is in peril. I have to work to prevent it from sharing Krypton's fate!

J'onn: Noble sentiment, but it's not that cut-and-dry here.

Zor-El: With my new abilities, I shall make it easy. First, I will cleanse the Earth. And then . . . I shall link this show's continuity to Superman & Lois!

J'onn: Ummmmm . . .

Zor-El: Seriously, have you seen the Fortress that I visited? Now look at the one in S&L. It's not the same! What, did Kal-El give my daughter the Kryptonian equivalent of a basement apart-?

J'onn: (tugging on Zor-El's arm, whispering sharply) Not today. Probably not if we had another six seasons.

Zor-El: (sighing) I'm getting shipped to Argo City after this, aren't I?

J'onn: (rolling his eyes) Pretty much,, yes.

Kara's shell shock, corporate and editorial maneuvering, and part of the plot to Superman IV, only trade out nukes for trash. On the plus side, "Oscar" makes for a far more realistic adversary than Nuclear Man.

How many more episodes until the finale?

• Love 2

Supergirl makes its grand return for the rest of the final season and gets to the nitty gritty of what viewers want: journalism battles and climate change?

To be fair, Andrea has a right to be concerned because Catco being all the way in 8th place is pretty damn bad: especially behind Central City Citizen by four spots!  Really, other than not having the budget/ability to get Calista Flockhart back, I really don't see how Cat has come back by now and been like "Yeah, give me back the reigns here, buddy."  Of course, all of the current media companies will be in for a huge shock when they all end up getting beat next by a little newspaper called the Smallville Gazette!

Man, don't you just hate it when you try to do the right thing and create a robot to clean out the environment, only for it to go south and suddenly you've got a trash monster the size of Godzilla stomping around?  Poor Zor-El really wasn't prepared for this, although as he mentioned, some of it was due to his own arrogance and need to not fail this planet like he feels he did with Krypton.  But it looks like he's jetting up to Argo now, so I wonder if we'll see him again.  I just wonder what else he learned from his Sesame Street binge!

I do like that Kara isn't automatically going to be fine after her time in the Phantom Zone and will be dealing with some form of PTSD from it.  And Alex is still on edge after thinking she lost Kara.  Makes them both feel human and not like perfect, unflappable beings.  As usual both Melissa Benoist and Chyler Leigh crushed it.

Still surprisingly enjoying the Lena/Nia duo.  And Lena/Brainy continue to be one of the best "tech squads" out there.

William is still around.  And has a girlfriend.  Cool?

I wonder if Nxy or Lex/the Luthors will get taken out first, or if they'll somehow all be the final baddies together when this is all said and done

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 5

This episode felt scattered and in search of a plot until the garbage robot danger became apparent and then it became interesting. Had to laugh at Brainy calling the garbage monster names and afterwards the robot checked with him to see if he meant all the namecalling. And Zor-El, if someone suggests that maybe your untried plan should go through tests first, you say yes!

Also to note, they said there will be 13 episodes left when the show returned, so now there are 12 episodes left

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Welcome back indeed! Long wait is over!

Loved Kara's scenes with ZorEl. That scene where they are flying up to catch the falling debris and being heroes together was 😍👌.

I hated that he left at the end, understandable since he realized that his need to saving the Earth wasn't really about the Earth but Krypton. It was about his failings more than being Earth's savior. Therefore Oscar(AI) failed at cleaning the Ocean at first. The CGI honestly didn't bother me the trash monster wasn't that bad. 

*I kinda want Clark to meet ZorEl since he's lost JorEl completely now, ZorEl can be a tie to his family. Just like JorEl, was for Kara in the beginning. 

Environmental message in this ep if only we'd listen. We don't have alien technology to save our planet. We have to do it ourselves. 

Lot's of Foreshadowing to someone's return this episode, I mean asking about Kara's pod, Daxamite technology. The "Don't carry the whole weight of the whole weight of the world on your shoulders...." line. Just feel like MonEl is coming back. I'm aware that he's not popular but I like him. 

One thing I appreciated is that Kara's trauma isn't being glossed over I'm glad she's dealing with it.  Heartbreaking to see her go thru that but I'd hate it if she just got magically over it. 

Speaking of magically over it: William sure got over Kara fast! Dead ship ahoy! Not that I care: I'm not a William or William/Kara fan. Still is our girl unlucky in love or what? sigh. 

And no promo? I guess the CW is gonna pull a Roswell with Supergirl too UGH. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tvwatchergordis said:

*I kinda want Clark to meet ZorEl since he's lost JorEl completely now, ZorEl can be a tie to his family. Just like JorEl, was for Kara in the beginning. 

I was hoping that Kara would at least mention her cousin (onscreen) when they went to the Fortress but it looks like it could have ended up on the cutting room floor.  Zor El can meet his nephew during Superman & Lois's 2nd season if not during this show's final eps.  

8 hours ago, AD35 said:

I was hoping that Kara would at least mention her cousin (onscreen) when they went to the Fortress but it looks like it could have ended up on the cutting room floor.  Zor El can meet his nephew during Superman & Lois's 2nd season if not during this show's final eps.  

She did mention him on screen

10 hours ago, tvwatchergordis said:

Welcome back indeed! Long wait is over!

Loved Kara's scenes with ZorEl. That scene where they are flying up to catch the falling debris and being heroes together was 😍👌.

I hated that he left at the end, understandable since he realized that his need to saving the Earth wasn't really about the Earth but Krypton. It was about his failings more than being Earth's savior. Therefore Oscar(AI) failed at cleaning the Ocean at first. The CGI honestly didn't bother me the trash monster wasn't that bad. 

*I kinda want Clark to meet ZorEl since he's lost JorEl completely now, ZorEl can be a tie to his family. Just like JorEl, was for Kara in the beginning

Environmental message in this ep if only we'd listen. We don't have alien technology to save our planet. We have to do it ourselves. 

Lot's of Foreshadowing to someone's return this episode, I mean asking about Kara's pod, Daxamite technology. The "Don't carry the whole weight of the whole weight of the world on your shoulders...." line. Just feel like MonEl is coming back. I'm aware that he's not popular but I like him. 

One thing I appreciated is that Kara's trauma isn't being glossed over I'm glad she's dealing with it.  Heartbreaking to see her go thru that but I'd hate it if she just got magically over it. 

Speaking of magically over it: William sure got over Kara fast! Dead ship ahoy! Not that I care: I'm not a William or William/Kara fan. Still is our girl unlucky in love or what? sigh. 

And no promo? I guess the CW is gonna pull a Roswell with Supergirl too UGH. 

Well he got to meet his aunt

• Love 1

You know its a good time when there's an exclamation mark in the title! This was a pretty good way to come back from the show, without a real villain and mostly just letting characters deal with everything that happened and set up some plots for this season. Kara even mentioned Clark, although I do really feel like there is a very notable lack of communication between Kara and Clark. Between Kara's long last dad and Clark's long lost evil brother, they really have a lot to catch up on this Thanksgiving.  

I liked seeing more of Zor-El and his struggles to fit back into his daughters life and his guilt over what happened to Kypton, even the guilt seems pretty misplaced. I also love how they still gave him the glasses that every member of their family wears while pretending to be a human, despite no one even knowing who he is. I guess it also helps with the super vision? or the House of El is just very committed to their aesthetic. Are we ever going to see Argo City again? 

The Lena and Nia scenes were all really good, I liked seeing them interact more during the last arc and I am glad that they are keeping that relationship growing even now that Kara is back. Its also understandable that Kara is feeling a bit twitchy, as is Alex. They went through a whole lot and even just trying to get back/find Kara ended up going poorly so many times. And this is before they find out that Nyxlygsptlnz hitched a ride into their universe! Seriously, someone in the Arrowverse needs to invest in a therapy service for superheroes and other people caught up in their shenanigans, so much trouble would be averted if anyone ever actually dealt with all the messed up things that happen to them every other day.

Also, the gang fights a pollution monster, because this show has never exactly gone for subtly. Welcome back indeed. 

• Love 7

When Kara woke up from the yellow-sun lamps and was greeted by the Super Friends and Zor-El, the show took time to show her hug with each of them, and each one felt fitting for the character/their relationship with Kara. This is why I love Supergirl - for all that they end an episode about climate change with the gang fighting a literal garbage monster, the relationships and the feels are so lovely. Kara asking Alex for a second hug warmed my heart.

Lots of PTSD/misplaced guilt that characters were trying to sublimate into action, and it naturally ended with the recognition that not even heroes can just power through that. Loved the moment of first J'onn, then Alex and Nia rallying around Kara to protect her when Kryptonite got into her suit and she was in crisis, and even though Zor-El's motivations were obvious from the jump, I liked the space that the characters gave him to let it sink in when he cried, "I can still save Krypton!" rather than "Earth." Glad Kara and Alex opened up to each other at the end

We got some fun humor with the emotion too. I loved Brainy's physics-fu bringing the cake back to the Tower (I laughed when he climbed through the cab,) and Zor-El had some good moments, especially the way he curiously picked up the Catco copier and the whole "Oscar" thing.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, AD35 said:

She did ☺️. She called him Kal-El though. I’m guessing because that’s how Zor-El knows him. 

• Love 1

What killed me is that the AI robot that became the garbage monster was named Oscar. And as that is too subtle for this show, they even made it a point to say that he was named after the Sesame Street character. Glad to see the show is not taking itself too seriously.

Also, now we see where Kara gets her optimistic, fix-it-all personality from.

• Love 3

Thought this was a good episode dealing with the aftermath of everything before the break.

Aw, I appreciated the shout-outs to Iris and CCC.

I didn't mind William as a love interest; but I thought it was funny how they went out of their way to say Kara/William wasn't happening after they were so wishy-washy about it last season - LOL!

I gotta nitpick kryptonite being in the DEO garbage island -- if there's one thing Lex would make sure to keep close and be aware of, it would be the substance that can kill the aliens he hates so much.

• Love 1

Oh, look, we are back to environmental problems from S1. How original.

And, no, Andrea, you cannot fire anyone within a month, if your paper will not be in top 2 or something position. That's not how this works.

7 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

And, no, Andrea, you cannot fire anyone within a month, if your paper will not be in top 2 or something position. That's not how this works.

Seriously. Who is giving her legal  and/or HR advice? It's like when we first met her and she not only told anyone who didn't like the way she wanted to run things to quit, she also "negotiated" new contracts for all of them (without their knowledge) with ridiculous non-compete clauses in them that would have made it impossible for them to work for any other newspaper in the country for God only knows how long (yeah, good luck with enforcing those contracts, Andrea!).

I get that she's a businesswoman whose main concern is to make Catco a success, but she is LOUSY at employee management and motivation. The only people she should fire are the ones who are giving her such bad legal advice!

Oh, and one more thing -- since she swiped Lex Luthor's files on the Superfriends right out from under him, does that mean that she also knows Supergirl's secret identity, or would that information not be included after his and LIlian's memories got wiped of that knowledge?

• Love 2

Nice to finally see this show back and I'm shocked that Kal-El was mentioned in the first episode back considering how Kara was not spoken about once on Superman & Lois.

So good to see the close relationship between Alex and Kara.

William is easily the most pointless main character that I have ever seen on this show. Or maybe even any show.

• Love 1

William does feel like a really superfluous character. I don't know why the producers think more is better with the size of the cast. I'm glad the writers realized Kara and William didn't work as a romance though.

I also find Andrea very annoying and she got way too much screentime this episode. 

So good to see the close relationship between Alex and Kara.

I hope we see more of that in the second half of the season. 

• Love 1

Well at least the ending explained why Zor El didn’t try to see his wife right away.  Still I see the show has decided to go for broke and go completely woke. 

Andrea not only saw the dossier on the Superfriends and Kara so has William now. Apparently masks, glasses and really bad eyeshadow works to conceal identities, lol. It seems Lex didn’t reveal the real names of the heroes? For shame Lex your not living up to your mad genius level evil.

So Lena shows up only to disappear to Ireland? Hmm.

Spoiler

Given spoilers and Daximite, along with the whimper with the Kara William non romance, and the emphasis on home,the show is all but throwing anvils about a sweet fairytale princess ending for Kara. 

So... Krypton had robots with very advanced A.I., interstellar travel, the ability to grow massive crystalline structures, and probably dozens and dozens of other things I'm forgetting, but somehow they couldn't effortlessly deal with trash in the oceans? Also, a ton of trash in the ocean is going to lead to the Earth exploding, because that's what happened to Krypton... somehow.

Of course Zor-El's plan ended up backfiring and turning into the threat of the week, just like how the protagonists have access to the tech from dozens of different species on top of an alien that is implied to be as smart as it's possible to be and yet can't deal easily with any threat of the week without have to try. If it actually worked then there's the environmental message of the episode turned on it's head.

I’m always happy to see Jason Behr working. I think this was q good role for him. Stoic alien is definitely in his wheelhouse.
Nia and Lena make a good combo. I’m starting to think they look like sisters.

With The Citizen ranked 4th and Kara wanting to copy Iris’s story, I feel like Iris got a lot of respect we haven’t seen outside shows give her. 

I liked how they went into the emotional consequences of events. I loved Kara asking for another hug when she woke up. And I will never tire of the Danvers sisters bonding and teasing while eating Chinese food.

• Love 3