Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E11: Swiping Right

• Start Topic

The dinner service was a lot worse than usual, GR was nicer than he would have been in the past a service like that. Sam's inability to answer the question properly saved Antonio.

Steve is not looking as good in these dinner services now, I think Trenton is the strongest instead of Steve. The millennial stuff at the beginning was kind of irritating to be honest.

• Love 4

Man, Antonio really threw Sam under the bus after the promise to not do exactly that. I get this is a competition, and at the end of the day it's every person for themselves, but I admired how Sam kept his word and my respect for Antonio went down a few notches. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Man, Antonio really threw Sam under the bus after the promise to not do exactly that. I get this is a competition, and at the end of the day it's every person for themselves, but I admired how Sam kept his word and my respect for Antonio went down a few notches. 

I agree but it is a competition and as much as I don't like the macho bull shit of being a man and saying your truth, Gordon was looking for Sam to stand up for himself and declare someone other than himself the worst chef of the night. By wiffling multiple times, Sam implies, by his refusal, that he is indeed the worst chef. And or he doesn't want it badly enough to throw Antonio under the bus and it ain't like Antonio is worth jumping on a grenade over. I can see Gordon viewing that as a fail. 

Antonio is a putz but he wanted it more and figured out what Gordon wanted to see and hear. 

• Love 8

I don’t know if there is a good way to answer the question, if you’ve promised not to badmouth the other guy.  The best I can think of is to just say, “Chef, before we came up here, we promised we wouldn’t call each other out- and I’d rather keep my word to my teammates than answer that question.“  But yeah, in the end Sam got flustered and couldn’t come up with anything to say, while Antonio at least said something.

Black Jacket predictions:

Steve, Megan, Trenton, Kiya, Brynn.

14 minutes ago, mertensia said:

Okay, who the hell is Sam and when did he join the show!?

I found him memorable- but I also tagged him as a “weaselly Dave Franco type” (I think) when the boys first got shipped off to Red Team- an attitude which kind of resurfaced tonight with his “sexy” steak basting.

Edited by Chyromaniac
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, xcrayon2215x said:

The millennial stuff at the beginning was kind of irritating to be honest.

Especially because these kids are technically not Millennials, but belong to the next generation.  According to multiple websites the latest possible year to be born to be considered a Millennial is 1997, and even if this show was filmed in 2018 most if not all of these kids are too young for that.  Most were 21/22 when this season was filmed.  Right over the edge.

• Love 4

I learned an important lesson tonight -- Richard Blais in overalls is even more annoying than standard Richard Blais.  It seems like the more I wish he'd go away, the more prolific his tv appearances become.  

I respect Sam for keeping his word, but he should know that honor and integrity have no place in Hell's Kitchen.  Either you jump through GR's hoops, or you go home.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, xcrayon2215x said:

The dinner service was a lot worse than usual, GR was nicer than he would have been in the past a service like that. Sam's inability to answer the question properly saved Antonio.

Steve is not looking as good in these dinner services now, I think Trenton is the strongest instead of Steve. The millennial stuff at the beginning was kind of irritating to be honest.

There was probably no world in which Sam survives putting up undercooked chicken multiple times. Undercooked pork and chicken are a health hazard and I can't remember someone getting a pass on screwing that up more than once on the same night. I am sad that GR has apparently retired the "IT'S RAWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRR!" scream. 

Steve's mistake seemed to be thinking that his teammate was going to be able to finish the steak when she said she was. Because she didn't his salmon ended up overcooked. 

By superficial standards, I would imagine that only Brynn and Steve meet the "look' of a winner because they are both reasonably fit and attractive. 

23 minutes ago, leocadia said:

I learned an important lesson tonight -- Richard Blais in overalls is even more annoying than standard Richard Blais.  It seems like the more I wish he'd go away, the more prolific his tv appearances become.  

I respect Sam for keeping his word, but he should know that honor and integrity have no place in Hell's Kitchen.  Either you jump through GR's hoops, or you go home.

I want to say that Richard has done a stint on either Masterchef or HK before. I thought he was pretty subdued in tonight's appearance. Anyway, maybe you should reverse the polarity and wish for Richard to be on the TV all the time.

Even if Sam had done the logical thing and said "Antonio's the weakest on our team, Chef," it would not have saved him. I don't know if it was so much a principled stand as Sam just getting flustered in the moment. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, jewel21 said:

What was Antonio supposed to do? Ramsay was visibly angered by Sam's refusal to name names. Can't blame Antonio for reading the room and changing course.

5 hours ago, mertensia said:

Okay, who the hell is Sam and when did he join the show!?

IIRC, he was the guy who was whining about being exiled to "The Girls' Team" a few episodes back. I couldn't tell you a single other thing about him.

8 hours ago, xcrayon2215x said:

Youth really is wasted on the young. Every generation thinks they're the most awesome, forward-thinking generation ever. Every generation also thinks they invented sex.

(Yes, I turn 50 in a few weeks and no, I'm not turning into a cranky old man. Why do you ask?)

• LOL 5
  • Love 9

I miss his trademark shark fin hairstyle, that always cracked me up. As judges go I don't mind him, he's not mean or catty and tends to give constructive advice.  Someone mentioned seeing him earlier, he's been on Top Chef TONS of times, first as contestant, then judge later.

• Love 2

While they were airing the "I won't throw anyone under the bus segment" it was obvious that that was exactly what would happen.  Also obvious most of the night that Sam was going to make his exit.   It wouldn't surprise me if they taped or at least edited the segments out of order.  Throw Sam under the bus, then tape segment saying that wouldn't happen.  But however it happened the right chef departed.  And frankly, his steak basting technique made me wonder what he was doing when the cameras were off. 

I thought Brynn looked out of it much of the evening and she was lucky guys were considerably worse. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

What was the deal anyways, baking chicken breasts is easy enough an amateur like me can do it. He had such a hard time with it, it makes me wonder if the producers mess with the ovens/burners or something.

The big question for me at least was, "why would you order chicken on steak night and wait an hour for it to be served?"  The two "guests/plants" should have cancelled the chicken and a) ordered steaks, or b) got up and  left. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, preeya said:

The big question for me at least was, "why would you order chicken on steak night and wait an hour for it to be served?"  The two "guests/plants" should have cancelled the chicken and a) ordered steaks, or b) got up and  left. 

But they'd already featured "guests/plants" for the proposal scene.  Couldn't have TWO non-kitchen-centered dramatic events on one episode.  LOL.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Colorado David said:

What was the deal anyways, baking chicken breasts is easy enough an amateur like me can do it. He had such a hard time with it, it makes me wonder if the producers mess with the ovens/burners or something.

My understanding is the sous chefs (this season, Jason and Christina) DO mess with burner settings, turn ovens off, and even swap sugar for salt occasionally. They do this on Ramsay's orders to see who's paying attention to what they're doing, tasting the food regularly, etc.

Although I knew he would never win (didn't have the skill level), I did appreciate that while everyone else was criticizing older people and patting themselves on their backs for being so much smarter, Sam was trying to make sure he had the rice ratio correct...

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Colorado David said:

It's long been rumored that the producers mess with the ovens and such.

But also, cooking a single chicken breast is easy enough, but doing multiple ones while you are responsible for various other things and having to coordinate with other people who are often going to be ahead or behind of where you want them to be. 

• Love 1

I can't understand how these chefs fail to cook chicken properly at least half the time, yet I've never had an undercooked piece of chicken at any fast food restaurant ever. Sam was the right person to go, but I do think he was hamstringed by the agreement not to say anything bad about Antonio. That whole thing was weird; they know they're going to be asked why they should stay over the other person, and if you've borked the chicken three or four times, pretty much the only thing you do is talk about why the other guy is worse. Sam should have known that going in.

Antonio: "I don't want to say I'm an intellectual, but I read books."

8 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:
17 hours ago, xcrayon2215x said:

Youth really is wasted on the young. Every generation thinks they're the most awesome, forward-thinking generation ever. Every generation also thinks they invented sex.

Every generation also blames the previous one for ruining the world, but there's this funny dynamic right now where millennials are blaming Boomers, and GenXers keep whining, "STOP IGNORING US!" Well, not "funny" so much as annoying. I had to mute generational words on twitter because it's relentless.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Colorado David said:

I miss his trademark shark fin hairstyle, that always cracked me up. As judges go I don't mind him, he's not mean or catty and tends to give constructive advice.  Someone mentioned seeing him earlier, he's been on Top Chef TONS of times, first as contestant, then judge later.

Blais came to fame on Top Chef, where it seems to me anyways, he has his fans and his detractors. I'm generally cool with him, but I can also see how others feel like a little Blais goes a long way. My view of his Top Chef appearance as a judge is that he actually does tend to be much more pompous and annoying as a judge than as a competitor and he leans into it.

It's mostly weird seeing him do GR shows because he's so associated with Top Chef it feels like Tom and Padma should show up and yell, "TRAITOR!" when he appears as part of a rival reality cooking competition franchise.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, snarkylady said:

I thought Brynn looked out of it much of the evening and she was lucky guys were considerably worse. 

I saw that too, had that 'deer in a headlight' look.  I don't get when Sam was struggling why Gordon didn't get someone else to do the chickens.  Its not like anything was going to save him that night anyway.  Not fair to the 'guests' who were probably comped a real meal at Gordon's other restaurant.  No way someone would wait an hour for a chicken dinner.

5 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

there was a weird ramsay and brynn moment i noticed, he mentioned something to her and it seemed like 'why is he mentioning that to her' moment. anyone else?

Idk if this is what you’re referring to, but after he scolded one of the chefs (Sam?) for something, he told Brynn to tell Sam the same thing and she did. He knows she likes to boss the other chefs around, but not in a way that makes look like a leader, more in a smug know-it-all kind of way. It was a weak moment for Gordon, I thought. He was being shitty to Sam by exploiting a shitty trait of Brynn’s and it made both of them look bad.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Every generation also blames the previous one for ruining the world, but there's this funny dynamic right now where millennials are blaming Boomers, and GenXers keep whining, "STOP IGNORING US!" Well, not "funny" so much as annoying. I had to mute generational words on twitter because it's relentless.

Even worse (I'm sorry but it is) is those people who have to tell everyone they're on the cusp and don't fit in anywhere. 

The new thing is Generation Z making fun of Millennials now.  It was a harsh wakeup call when I was the target of derision from the youth for once.  

It really sucks how Gordon makes them say who is the worst chef.  I hate, hate, hate this on Project Runway.  I love when the designers refuse to answer.  Of course petty people like Gordon punish them for it.  That SUCKS; personally I hate it.  I'm sure people will argue that's the mark of someone who can't be head chef or whatever but to me it's just a person who refuses to play these political games and is trying to be a loyal friend.  For people this young I'd say that's an admirable quality to aspire to.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Colorado David said:

This is exactly what I kept thinking this episode.  I was honestly wondering if they fake some of the times that the chefs mess up.  Finally when the blue team was actually succeeding I finally thought - maybe they don't?  But how can you make the same mistake again, and again, and again?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This is exactly what I kept thinking this episode.  I was honestly wondering if they fake some of the times that the chefs mess up.  Finally when the blue team was actually succeeding I finally thought - maybe they don't?  But how can you make the same mistake again, and again, and again?

My guess is the chefs were trying to get the chicken done fast so they turned the stove heat up. The problem with turning the heat up is you risk having a well-done outside with an underdone inside, which is exactly what happened.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

My guess is the chefs were trying to get the chicken done fast so they turned the stove heat up. The problem with turning the heat up is you risk having a well-done outside with an underdone inside, which is exactly what happened.

I get that, but after once of underdone you gotta figure stand up and say it needs more time regardless of chef screaming at you to get it on that plate.  Point out it is raw inside and needs more time to cook, even if he is gonna rip your head off for it.

• Love 1

Well, then Antonio (?) turned the heat on the pan down way low in order not to burn or overcook the chicken breast and it was RAAAWWWW again. The last straw. ITA with an upposter wondering WHO would order chicken on steak night AND wait for an hour for it AND not order something else? DRAH-mah!

• Love 2

LOL moment:

Gordon says to Sam & Antonio: "Laurel & Hardy get a grip"

Antonio responds: "What's Laurel & Hardy? Is that a thing?"

ETA:
My picks for the 2 chefs not getting black jackets: Antonio & Emily.

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 8/24/2021 at 10:09 AM, preeya said:

For me the question was who in the hell goes to Hell's Kitchen during filming hungry? 

• LOL 4
18 hours ago, judyri said:

I saw that too, had that 'deer in a headlight' look.  I don't get when Sam was struggling why Gordon didn't get someone else to do the chickens.  Its not like anything was going to save him that night anyway.  Not fair to the 'guests' who were probably comped a real meal at Gordon's other restaurant.  No way someone would wait an hour for a chicken dinner.

None of those guests are actually "real" guests and none have to pay. In fact, sometimes the guests get paid. It's several hours of filming.They bring in volunteers. Sometimes it's family members and friends of the filming crew and sometimes it's just random people. You used to be able to put your name on the list if you wanted to go. I've been invited in 3 times and went once. Frankly, it was long and boring but in addition to free food Mom and I made $100. Production assistants will literally stand outside and hand out invitations to people as they walk by. If the tables aren't all full then they'll go out on the Strip right before filming and look for people who are dressed up a bit. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

None of those guests are actually "real" guests and none have to pay. In fact, sometimes the guests get paid. It's several hours of filming.They bring in volunteers. Sometimes it's family members and friends of the filming crew and sometimes it's just random people. You used to be able to put your name on the list if you wanted to go. I've been invited in 3 times and went once. Frankly, it was long and boring but in addition to free food Mom and I made $100. Production assistants will literally stand outside and hand out invitations to people as they walk by. If the tables aren't all full then they'll go out on the Strip right before filming and look for people who are dressed up a bit. 

stop now you are ruining my tv belief

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

stop now you are ruining my tv belief

I'm sorry! Let's try that again...

It's all totally legit, they're real diners, and they spend a shit ton of money to eat there and be filmed. 😁

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, preeya said:

LOL moment:

Gordon says to Sam & Antonio: "Laurel & Hardy get a grip"

Antonio responds: "What's Laurel & Hardy? Is that a thing?"

ETA:
My picks for the 2 chefs not getting black jackets: Antonio & Emily.

Antonio's great-grandparents can tell him who Laurel & Hardy were.

Antonio's been on the chopping block four times. Nobody else has been up there more than twice. I would be shocked if Antonio got a black jacket.

7 hours ago, mamadrama said:

None of those guests are actually "real" guests and none have to pay. In fact, sometimes the guests get paid. It's several hours of filming.They bring in volunteers. Sometimes it's family members and friends of the filming crew and sometimes it's just random people.

I know, sorry, I was trying to be sarcastic.  No 'real' diner would wait an hour for dinner.  It just seeemed weird that everyone was just standing around watching the train wreck.  Half the time they'd get yelled at for that, this is so 'scripted' its not even funny anymore.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, judyri said:

I know, sorry, I was trying to be sarcastic.  No 'real' diner would wait an hour for dinner.  It just seeemed weird that everyone was just standing around watching the train wreck.  Half the time they'd get yelled at for that, this is so 'scripted' its not even funny anymore.

Lol, I'm sorry! I can see that now. 😁

On 8/24/2021 at 1:38 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

By superficial standards, I would imagine that only Brynn and Steve meet the "look' of a winner because they are both reasonably fit and attractive.

I agree. Has anyone overweight ever won HK? I don't think so.

Just now, AZChristian said:

It would be funny to see someone noshing on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich they brought from home.

Or getting a table-side delivery from some pizza joint.

• LOL 4

I have given this way too much thought, but I think Antonio is socially awkward and probably had a lonely childhood (hence the comment about reading a lot and doing puzzles).  I think his earlier arrogance was his attempt to seem "cool" and try to fit in.  I think being a part of this show and learning from Gordon will do wonders for him.  Will he win?  I doubt it, but for him I think the win will be getting critiques from the guest chefs, listening to instructions (and criticisms) and just being around someone like Gordon.  Although he did name Sam as being a weaker cheftestant, it seemed like it was hard for him to do as he knew Sam didn't throw him under the bus.  I think Antonio may have really needed an experience like this for his own life experience and sense of self. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Although he did name Sam as being a weaker cheftestant, it seemed like it was hard for him to do as he knew Sam didn't throw him under the bus.  I think Antonio may have really needed an experience like this for his own life experience and sense of self. 

That entire scenario seemed totally disingenuous to me. It was as if GR had been watching tape of the conversation in the dorm and then decided to put those guys on the spot. He's never done that before and it looked very underhanded to me. All that said, Sam was the right choice for elimination. Antonio will likely be one of the two next week.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
On 8/26/2021 at 7:11 PM, preeya said:

That entire scenario seemed totally disingenuous to me. It was as if GR had been watching tape of the conversation in the dorm and then decided to put those guys on the spot. He's never done that before and it looked very underhanded to me. 

I don't doubt that someone probably told GR about this vow to not throw the other person under the bus, or that it led to him specifically asking the question this time. But it's a fairly common thing for GR to ask, "Who is the weakest chef on your team?" or "Who's weaker, you or X.?" to people up for elimination. Indeed, if it were an out-of-the-blue situation, Antonio and Sam wouldn't have been discussing the possibility.

On 8/25/2021 at 5:30 PM, judyri said:

In a vacuum, I would probably volunteer to wait an hour or so for dinner at HK, assuming I had nothing else going on. Worst case scenario is you have a story behind the scenes that you can savor and tell, plus a few bucks in your pocket and some free drinks. Best case, you get paid to have a great meal and maybe get to have a celeb moment with GR or whoever is the chef's table for the episode.

On 8/26/2021 at 12:20 AM, Such A Flirt said:

I agree. Has anyone overweight ever won HK? I don't think so.

Someone linked to an article about previous winners with their publicity shots. https://www.realitytvrevisited.com/2016/11/hells-kitchen-winners.html

For my money, I would classify only Nona as looking overweight in that picture. I don't remember her, but that is one more than I would have thought.