Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: From Tutor to Suitor

• Start Topic

Tell him to pick up his stuff and that’s that.  He either lives there or not, period. 

I think this new iteration of Buddy is the perfect roommate. He pays the rent on time and he's never there. 

Can you imagine being in line behind her and having to wait for this foolishness?

Maybe it was just edited this way, but the B-roll showed no lines at all. The aerial shots showed a nearly empty lot. 

We don’t see anorexics touting deathly skinny as acceptable. 

There is a TON (no pun intended) of pro-ana content on the internet. You don't see the conferences and the weekend retreats but there are plenty of people out there who are deep in their eating disorders and trying to convince themselves and everyone else that it's a "healthy" way to live.

If we're seeing Whit trying egg-harvesting in the preview, that would fairly definitively rule out a happy ending for the tutor story, no?

Not necessarily. She's about to turn 37. Even if she is right at the start of what will end up being a serious relationship, she wouldn't really be looking at a (planned) pregnancy any time soon. She could be harvesting and freezing eggs just in case. 

• Love 4

I didn't understand the whole fat conversation with Whit and Frenchie. Was he telling her he has no problem being romantically involved with a fat woman? If so, I call bullshit! 

French people do not like fat. Period. You won't see many fat Parisians. It's not the norm. They have disdain for Americans as it is, they have no time for fat, loud Americans who can not control their eating habits. 

Whit is lucky she didn't fall for a guy in Amsterdam. They are ruthlessly honest people. They will ask you to your face why you are so fat and don't think it's offensive to ask at all. They just really want to know. I saw a whole thing on Youtube about it, it's quite funny because Americans are so used to ignoring the truth for fear of hurting feelings. 

Anyway, back to Whit. This season is going to be a sham and a scam. I bet it will end with Whitney deciding to dump the fake boyfriend so she saves face for what happened with Chase last season. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

I was thinking maybe he's North African - maybe Algerian, Tunisian, or Moroccan - and Arabic is his first language, and he's probably fluent in that, French, and English.

To me he sounds like an American trying to put on a fake French accent and it's coming out sounding different every time.

Or as someone said last week, they may have disguised his voice as well as blurred out his face.

The whole thing is so fake nothing would surprise me at this point.

10 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I almost died when she said it was a mouse!!! The Francophile that she is with her poodle right in front of her and she calls it a mouse! 😂 

I know, me too, LOL!!! 🤣

Edited by Yeah No
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 8/24/2021 at 11:54 PM, Irate Panda said:

I don’t understand why Whitney was acting like she and Buddy moved back to Charlotte to start a life together as a couple or live happily ever after forever.  Yet again, we have Whitney IMO crossing Buddy’s boundaries by asking for “snuggles/cuddling” when she knows he’s in a relationship, then she is not happy with the hug it seems he felt obligated to give. 

I don't understand it either.  Regardless of how she tries to spin it, she is acting like he is a boyfriend and him finding a girlfriend was like dumping her.  I feel like she is lying about their real relationship or is that deluded that she doesn't realize she's making Buddy into her surrogate boyfriend stand-in against his will.  He may have wanted to keep it as platonic friends or "friends with benefits" but she reacts to everything he does like a jilted girlfriend. 

After all he's been through with her, I think he only humors her for the paycheck at this point.  I feel like he's trying to wean away from her because he is just so over her period and wants a real life with a real girlfriend.  I don't think he even wants to be her friend at this point.  She has a weird, unhealthy attachment to him that she can't let go because he's the closest thing to a real boyfriend she's probably ever had.  Maybe there was one brief moment in time when they might have shared something more than just friendship but she is so pathetic she is unable to face that it was nowhere near what she inflated it in her mind to be.  I think he has been humoring her for a while now just to keep that paycheck and it's sad.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Honestly, who in their right mind would drive 1.5 hours each way for a crappy backyard grilling event (not even BBQ) for store bought burgers and probably some Bar S hotdogs which are made with 99% not real beef, no adult beverages and a bunch of barnacles around a fire pit... hell no.

And call it a dinner party!

(Hand motion for the Mythic Quest fans out there.)

• LOL 2
18 hours ago, diva2themax said:

That French tutor storyline is sooo fake. She can't even say je m'appelle Whitney? That's like day 1 beginner French. Her mom knows more than her. The tutor is also clearly American. I don't know why I half watch this dumbass show. It's so boring & insulting that anyone would believe anything that happens on this show. 

I half-watch hoping for another "sideways splits on skis" moment.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
On 8/25/2021 at 8:08 AM, Persnickety1 said:

And, lastly, why the fuck did Whitney keep digging in Ashley's daughter's hair?  I thought her obsession with that sweet child's hair was bordering on creepy.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ashley's daughter biracial? I believe her father is Black. A grown, privileged white woman raking her hands repeatedly through a little Black girl's hair without invitation is an extremely bad look. But it's Whitney, who has to impose herself on others without consent. Demanding cuddles from Buddy, putting her feet on her friends when they're sitting around, pawing at Tal, the ONE time she wears sleeves is at a vax appointment so she'll have to take off her shirt to expose herself, making people wait in long lines so she can force beleaguered, burnt-out healthcare workers to join her in a stupid dance.* Usually it's men or cats who are her victims, but this poor sweet (and funny!) little girl has to be manhandled for the camera too. I hope Ashley is socking away TLC cash for her future.

The whiplash-inducing 180 Whitney pulled when Buddy indicated that he and his girlfriend are getting serious was pretty egregious--from "I miss you and want you around more" to steam coming out of her nose, flames coming out of her hair "GET YOUR SHIT AND GET OUT" in a millisecond. She really thinks he is her property, doesn't she?

And this "tutor to suitor" guy (how many times do we have to hear that particular bon mot, see what I did there? hon hon hon) is such a sad joke. Couldn't the TLC gods have conjured up a dude who is willing to be seen on camera, so we could confirm for ourselves that is actually is good looking (not that that is any of our business, of course) and that he's actually in to her. I love how coy she is when the show has Ashley ham-fistedly bringing up her "French mayuuun" in mixed company, but anytime she's not with Ashley she can hardly contain herself waiting for an opportunity to bring him up. And of course, just like with Chase, she has to perpetually bring up that she's "big" and put him on the spot to ask him if he likes "big" women. Like what is supposed to say? His voice is being recorded and he's got a 400 pound thirsty woman confronting him. "No, I only like slim French women"? She would ugly cry and claim discrimination or something. God, she is so desperate.

Then again, I just wrote a thesis on this woman and her pathetic show, so joke's on me, I guess.

*This pissed me off SO much. There was a mad rush for appointments when my age group came up and my spouse and I spent hours trying to get appointments. Ultimately we went with Vaccine Fairy. If you need a vaccine and have trouble finding appointments, try them. They scheduled my and my wife together within a week of registering, and it's all volunteer-based. They do incredible work. But for her and Hunter to be so inconsiderate of the people in the long line of cars behind them (kudos to the production team for making sure we saw that), who may have been waiting hours and may have to go back to work/kids/school/other obligations to have to wait for her to attention whore and do her stupid dance was just absolutely unconscionable and here I am thinking too much about this again.

Edited by monagatuna
  • Love 18

Just watching now…the rainbow at the beginning was Photoshopped, no? It looked very fake. Also, isn’t the idea of drive-through vaccinations to social distance? How is it appropriate to get out of the freaking car next to these people and dance like a damn child?

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't understand it either.  Regardless of how she tries to spin it, she is acting like he is a boyfriend and him finding a girlfriend was like dumping her.  I feel like she is lying about their real relationship or is that deluded that she doesn't realize she's making Buddy into her surrogate boyfriend stand-in against his will.  He may have wanted to keep it as platonic friends or "friends with benefits" but she reacts to everything he does like a jilted girlfriend. 

After all he's been through with her, I think he only humors her for the paycheck at this point.  I feel like he's trying to wean away from her because he is just so over her period and wants a real life with a real girlfriend.  I don't think he even wants to be her friend at this point.  She has a weird, unhealthy attachment to him that she can't let go because he's the closest thing to a real boyfriend she's probably ever had.  Maybe there was one brief moment in time when they might have shared something more than just friendship but she is so pathetic she is unable to face that it was nowhere near what she inflated it in her mind to be.  I think he has been humoring her for a while now just to keep that paycheck and it's sad.

I still don't believe Buddy has ever been more than a friend/castmate.  She said so at the beginning, then at some point forced him to "admit" that they had sex, which he did with an expression that suggested a gun being held to his private parts - but we also saw her try to make Roy "admit" he was into her; last night she claimed if the French dude didn't act like he liked her she was going to make him "admit" that he did.  Maybe I'm the weirdo, but if a guy told me he didn't like me "that way" I'd let it go.  Buddy's super-reluctant "admission" means nothing to me, and I don't believe it.  I DO believe that if he brought a girlfriend home to their shared abode, she would demand food in her bed, and hint to said girl about their previous "relationship" which he might have a hard time denying without new girlfriend wondering if he was a liar, or if he was serving salads in bed to an ex, which is why his current girlfriend is an hour away and not brought around.  Take your stuff and run, Buddy!  You can still come back for filming once a week - it was too hard for Whitney to do for her NoBS active, but I believe Buddy can handle it 😄

• Love 8

Regarding the wrapped hamburgers and hotdogs. It's BS to think that someone as lazy and lackadaisical as Buddy would go to the effort to cook them and wrap them.

I think it is all producer hijinks. They might have even set it up for Buddy to be late to the BBQ and made a back-up plan by arranging for the "main course" in case the guests became impatient. There had to be something to put on video after all the expense they incur for this stellar bit of fantasy.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I also posted this in the Social Media thread, but an eagle-eyed viewer on Reddit pointed out that production didn't blur the "boyfriend's" name when they FaceTimed/videochatted. His name is "Nail," which is Arabic, so I'm pretty confident in my previous assumption that he's Northern African (probably Algerian). That would explain the funky accent as his native language is probably Arabic, and if he was born/raised in France then was exposed to French young but probably spoke Arabic at home. I'm a linguist (PhD in second language acquisition) and can place an accent pretty much blind after over 30 years in the field, and it didn't sound American to me - but it also didn't sound fully French.

• Useful 13
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

I also posted this in the Social Media thread, but an eagle-eyed viewer on Reddit pointed out that production didn't blur the "boyfriend's" name when they FaceTimed/videochatted. His name is "Nail," which is Arabic, so I'm pretty confident in my previous assumption that he's Northern African (probably Algerian). That would explain the funky accent as his native language is probably Arabic, and if he was born/raised in France then was exposed to French young but probably spoke Arabic at home. I'm a linguist (PhD in second language acquisition) and can place an accent pretty much blind after over 30 years in the field, and it didn't sound American to me - but it also didn't sound fully French.

How do you pronounce "Nail." Is it like the thing you hit with a hammer or more like "nay-all?"

• Love 2
6 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

He could also be French-Canadian of North African heritage. Although in my experience,  Quebecois speak fairly heavily accented English. 

• Love 1
On 8/24/2021 at 9:54 PM, Brooklynista said:

Buddy shouldn't  be forecd to be her emotional support human.

That is EXACTLY what he has been for most of the run if the show.

• Love 5
On 8/25/2021 at 12:46 PM, all4mom2 said:

Whitney isn't mad that she doesn't see Buddy enough; she's mad because he has yet another girlfriend when he's supposed to be marrying HER per the pizza box.

Wouldn’t you love to get Whitney, Amy Roloff and Amber Johnston together????  OMG, what a snarkiest that would be!!

• Love 3

So here is my take on her new "boo" from France. We all caught on fairly early that Chase was a sham, from people seeing them out and about only when filming, at the airport, the sheer disgust on his face when the blob was all over him, the reasons why she didn't want to move for "the love of her life". I think she conveniently chose someone from outside the US, where this shitshow doesn't air, block his face because he claims privacy, when we all know its because she is afraid to get caught in another "love lie".  I am not saying she could not make a new friend over the internet, but I think her constantly throwing herself at men, on men just makes them run the other way. She probably didn't even tell this guy in France she was coming, she just showed up because she knew" he was totally into her", yeah ok, Jan   

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 11
On 8/26/2021 at 3:36 PM, monagatuna said:

I love how coy she is when the show has Ashley ham-fistedly bringing up her "French mayuuun" in mixed company, but anytime she's not with Ashley she can hardly contain herself waiting for an opportunity to bring him up. 

It was great when Whit and Todd were sitting out in that parking lot, and she mentioned something about love, and Todd thought she meant self-love, but when she said she meant this french guy, Todd just breezed right on past it like she had never mentioned it.  Go Todd!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 8/25/2021 at 2:15 PM, Me from ME said:

I think he is angry with her continuously trying to create situations to trap him into a romantic relationship. and the only way he has some control is to be passive aggressive. Easier to agree to do something and then either forget, or be half-assed about it. He wins, she loses.

I agree that when he has brought girlfriends to meet Whitney she has tried to ruin the relationship - all the way back to Heather.  I think that she has had  designs on him from the very beginning. Who can forget the time she and Buddy took the cat to the park in the stroller? She mentioned way back then something about taking their"child" for an outing or some such thing. The relationships with other guys, whether real or fake were probably to make Buddy jealous in her pre-adolescent mind.

Anyone else recall that last season I think, she & Buddy arrived early to yet another cabin getaway & were canoodling up a storm in the pool, & she got upset about Buddy "not respecting boundaries"?  Or am I dreaming?

If true, this leads me to only one plausible conclusion.  Whitney just likes fucking with people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

OK, I watched this just to see maybe the "boyfriend" which there isn't one. This woman-child is SO desperate for any man to even like her, it's really pathetic. While she was talking to the guy on the computer I was cringing. She was practically throwing herself at him. And when she met Buddy at the park, you could tell he did not want to be there. When she wanted a "snuggle" I threw up in my mouth a little. Buddy needs to get his shit out of her house, move in with or nearby his cute girlfriend and stay away from this toxic cow. And she needs to stop saying "like" all the time. She sounds like a 12 year old.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Maisiesmom said:

OK, I watched this just to see maybe the "boyfriend" which there isn't one. This woman-child is SO desperate for any man to even like her, it's really pathetic. While she was talking to the guy on the computer I was cringing. She was practically throwing herself at him. And when she met Buddy at the park, you could tell he did not want to be there. When she wanted a "snuggle" I threw up in my mouth a little. Buddy needs to get his shit out of her house, move in with or nearby his cute girlfriend and stay away from this toxic cow. And she needs to stop saying "like" all the time. She sounds like a 12 year old.

"toxic cow". 👏👏👏👏👏

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 8/27/2021 at 9:30 PM, Snarkastikate said:

Anyone else recall that last season I think, she & Buddy arrived early to yet another cabin getaway & were canoodling up a storm in the pool, & she got upset about Buddy "not respecting boundaries"?  Or am I dreaming?

You are not dreaming - it was at the beginning of the season when she was still "engaged" and her behavior with Buddy was "making Chase jealous" 😂 🤣. And if we're pretending it was her "real life" - a nice person would have told Buddy that in private rather than shrieking at him in the hot tub in front of the group!

• Love 3

Buddy asks her what she has been up to since they allegedly haven't talked in a while. 

Since she has nothing going on, the first thing she mentions is about this fake French friend.

Then Buddy asks what she likes about the guy, and of course she can't answer that, so she turns it around and gets on Buddy's case about not kissing her ass for months.

She needs all the barnacles and sycophants possible, can't lose any.

Buddy is on to her, in his talking head segment he says how passive aggressive she is.

This is why I stopped watching regularly.

Because she is horrible.

I turned on the last five minutes of this episode and this is what I saw, which immediately pissed me off.

God, she is awful.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 9
On 8/29/2021 at 11:30 PM, princelina said:

You are not dreaming - it was at the beginning of the season when she was still "engaged" and her behavior with Buddy was "making Chase jealous" 😂 🤣. And if we're pretending it was her "real life" - a nice person would have told Buddy that in private rather than shrieking at him in the hot tub in front of the group!

…and then right after that she was ALL OVER Tal in the hot tub. Hypocritical much?

• Love 6
On 8/25/2021 at 9:08 AM, Persnickety1 said:

Looks like Babs held on to some of her college French.  Considering she probably hasn't actively spoken the language in decades, her French skills are still better than those of her daughter, who has allegedly been learning French for "months" now.  

Knowing Whitney, she probably just had a book or language app for months but never used it. And being Whitney, she’s calling it “months” of learning. She wants results without the effort but with languages, a lack of practice really shows. 

Remember when she wanted to become Jewish? I was cringing as a Hebrew tutor. I was like, NOOOOOO when I saw her with all those books, waiting for her to claim she could speak Hebrew after like a week (it took me 2 years of college Hebrew to become proficient). So glad that didn’t pan out for her. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Knowing Whitney, she probably just had a book or language app for months but never used it. And being Whitney, she’s calling it “months” of learning. She wants results without the effort but with languages, a lack of practice really shows. 

Remember when she wanted to become Jewish? I was cringing as a Hebrew tutor. I was like, NOOOOOO when I saw her with all those books, waiting for her to claim she could speak Hebrew after like a week (it took me 2 years of college Hebrew to become proficient). So glad that didn’t pan out for her. 

When you think about it, it's kind of terrifying that she's been to Paris twice (three times now but twice at the time this was filmed) in the last couple of years and can't even say 'Je m'appelle Whitney'.  If she was that interested in learning the language you would think she would have at least picked up a couple of basic phrases in the several weeks she's spend there. 

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

When you think about it, it's kind of terrifying that she's been to Paris twice (three times now but twice at the time this was filmed) in the last couple of years and can't even say 'Je m'appelle Whitney'.  If she was that interested in learning the language you would think she would have at least picked up a couple of basic phrases in the several weeks she's spend there. 

I'm  remembering back to my first day of French class. Immediately after "J'entre dans la salle de classe" we learned  "Je m'appelle..." 15 minutes into class ----LITERALLY. And I'm astonished at how much I remember after nearly 60 years. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

I'm  remembering back to my first day of French class. Immediately after "J'entre dans la salle de classe" we learned  "Je m'appelle..." 15 minutes into class ----LITERALLY. And I'm astonished at how much I remember after nearly 60 years. 

Same here!!! The very first day!! We had to pick a French name which irritated me to no end and then we spent the rest of the day 'Je m'appelle... fake French name' LOL

• LOL 1

Do we know if Twit studied any foreign language in high school? If it wasn't a requirement it is a terrible commentary on the american education system. When I was in high school we had short courses in Spanish, German, French and Russian to give us a taste of each language so we could choose which one to study more intensively. I chose French but I never became proficient. I had that unsettling experience of trying to speak French in Paris and receiving the answer back in English. So maybe that's why Twit was reluctant to try her newly acquired skill.

A few years ago I decided to try to learn Norwegian and whenever I couldn't remember how to translate a word - the french word would pop into my brain. It was interesting to realize how that knowledge had been deeply embedded.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Me from ME said:

Do we know if Twit studied any foreign language in high school? If it wasn't a requirement it is a terrible commentary on the american education system. When I was in high school we had short courses in Spanish, German, French and Russian to give us a taste of each language so we could choose which one to study more intensively. I chose French but I never became proficient. I had that unsettling experience of trying to speak French in Paris and receiving the answer back in English. So maybe that's why Twit was reluctant to try her newly acquired skill.

A few years ago I decided to try to learn Norwegian and whenever I couldn't remember how to translate a word - the french word would pop into my brain. It was interesting to realize how that knowledge had been deeply embedded.

It's hard to say since she's 37 so even if you found out what her school currently does or does not require now it doesn't mean it did at the time she was there. I can say that I have  high school/college age kids and they have been required to have foreign language in high school and college (some majors are allowed to meet proficiency requirements but it's still a requirement) and most of their friends including those they met in college from other parts of the country had similar requirements in high school. I suspect if Whitney had a language requirement she probably chose Spanish. It's the most popular choice and it's the most common offering even in smaller schools/school systems. I think her 'all things French' obsession is a new fixation based on her stunted view of how romance should be for her so I don't think she would have chosen French back in high school if it was offered. 

2 hours ago, Me from ME said:

A few years ago I decided to try to learn Norwegian and whenever I couldn't remember how to translate a word - the french word would pop into my brain

Gah. I hate that.  I speak French and German and plead the occasional brain fart when I can't remember the German word but the French word readily pops up.  Had the same problem with computer languages: nothing like tossing a little FORTRAN syntax into the middle of a PL/1 program. (I don't think either of those is still used.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Even if she had studied a different language in high school I would think that she would have been more adept at learning french. It is a change in mindset. And as someone else pointed out she has been to Paris, how could she not have learned a few words on her own? (Croissant doesn't count.)

It is fairly remarkable that Babs could recall some of what she learned even longer ago. Hold on a moment, Todd has even spoken a few french phrases. I think Twit is truly a dolt and has managed to slide by in life.

Colleena, not that I thought I was unique in that mismatching of languages but you are the first one to say you have the same shared experience. I told my friend who is fluent in three languages about it and she couldn't relate.

• Love 1
On 9/4/2021 at 5:20 PM, Me from ME said:

This happens to me too! I'm conversational in Spanish and anytime I get stuck on a word or phrase in French or Italian, my brain always picks out the Spanish word.

• Love 2