Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

22 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

…I felt bad that Angie didn’t get to be on the show when Alex was still alive. And having to go up against Matt after waiting so long. I wondered if her letter was a factor at all in the creation of the Kids’ Tournament. 

In hindsight Angie might be proud to say she went up against Matt. 
But it is sad that Angie cannot know if Alex remembered her letter and if he would have said it contributed to the formation of the Kids’ Tournament. 

I did get FJ. 🙃🙂

Edited by shapeshifter
Typo
  • Love 6

Shout out to the winners of the Week 3 Final Jeopardy Contest with the $800 clue in Arithmetalk.

Eraserhead! That movie made an impression on me that's never left, all these decades later. I had a litter of puppies at the time, and they made the exact same noise as the Eraserhead baby, which freaked and creeped me out.

Apples ... horses love them, right? I cut up an apple into teeny pieces and put them on my horse's evening meal. Her first bite contained some apple ... and she literally spit the entire mouthful out. She then managed to clean up every last teensy bit of cracked corn and pellets while leaving every single tiny piece of apple in the tub. Horses have talented lips. And I guess an apple a day won't keep the vet away.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Eraserhead! That movie made an impression on me that's never left, all these decades later. 

Me too, and not in a good way.

My FJ guess was “You are what you eat” and I was convinced it was right. Misplaced confidence is great, you guys! LOL 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

There was something sublime about how Johnny rolled the "r" in Angie's last name.

I didn't have a clue on a single one of the 90s Music answers.  I am not old enough to have picked any of it up by cultural osmosis and it's just not my style to seek out now.  James' monologue could have been made for me, but generally, I know what I like.

I couldn't help but think that it would have been a bear to come up with the FJ answer at the last second.  I guessed it pretty quickly and didn't come up with anything better, but I would have had to hurry to put it down legibly.

I'm sure all the contestants would rather be winning, but I'm glad they continue to give it their all and seem to be enjoying themselves, generally speaking.  I liked the very warm look from Angie to Anthony when he tried "South Pasadena."

I was curious, and as far as I can tell, "Reefer Madness" never showed here in San Francisco during its initial run or first reissue.  Perhaps that's why everyone and their mother is on it, because they collectively missed the lesson.  It first shows up on the movie pages in 1962 as part of a "Three Big, Torrid Hits!" bill along with "10 Days in a Nudist Camp" and "The Burlesque Rage: Girls! Gals! Dolls!" so I'm not sure anyone at those screenings was getting the message either. ;)

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I've been reading the twitter feed, and it seems to me that it's clearly friendly teasing. But we all have our own life experiences and respond differently to the same things. I'm loving Matt even more now that I'm reading his twitter feed. He is everything you say.

Thank you for that observation. The moment James was introduced to us for the first time as "a professional gambler from Las Vegas, NV" I had a visceral negative reaction due to my own life experience with my father-in-law who had a lifelong gambling addiction that caused a multitude of problems over the years for our family. Yes, my own experience has definitely colored my opinion of the less-than-classy Mr. Holzhauer, but that doesn't make it any less valid.

It makes him look small that he felt the need to call attention to the fact that he made more money in a shorter time span in his tweets. Congratulations James, you're the better gambler. Professional, even.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, SHD said:

My FJ guess was “You are what you eat” and I was convinced it was right.

My FJ guess was the apple-a-day answer, and I was convinced it was wrong.

Reefer Madness is a way OTT propaganda film that's hysterically funny to watch now. But back in 1936, it probably scared some teens straight. Maybe. Or maybe not. It became an underground cult favorite and still is to this day.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Shouldn't it have been tournament of roses PARADE not just tournament of roses?

I wondered about that.  I might have pressed my luck on "Rose Bowl Parade" in the heat of the moment.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Apples ... horses love them, right? I cut up an apple into teeny pieces and put them on my horse's evening meal. Her first bite contained some apple ... and she literally spit the entire mouthful out. She then managed to clean up every last teensy bit of cracked corn and pellets while leaving every single tiny piece of apple in the tub. Horses have talented lips. And I guess an apple a day won't keep the vet away.

https://imgur.com/a/qJMVU2L

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Shout out to the winners of the Week 3 Final Jeopardy Contest with the $800 clue in Arithmetalk.

I don’t get it.

Eraserhead! That movie made an impression on me that's never left, all these decades later.

I’ve never seen it and have no idea what it’s about. 

Apples ... horses love them, right? I cut up an apple into teeny pieces and put them on my horse's evening meal. Her first bite contained some apple ... and she literally spit the entire mouthful out.

My DD was like that with onions in chili. I tried cutting them very fine, chunky, average…didn’t matter, she always picked them out!  Also taking to off-topic.

FJ was another insta-get. I like those!

• Love 1
Just now, zoey1996 said:

I’ve never seen [Eraserhead] and have no idea what it’s about. 

Don't feel left out.  Many who have don't either. ;)  David Lynch can be an inscrutable filmmaker.  I saw his "Blue Velvet" a week or two ago and am still trying to decide what it meant, in a good way.  If Wikipedia is to be believed, he is working on something for Netflix right now, so we can all wait for the clues on that.

8 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I don’t get it.

There were two winners in the FJ contest for last week, "both of whom scored a 1, 2 and 3 in Weeks 1, 2 and 3."

The $800 clue was "The counting numbers beginning 1, 2, 3... are also known as these alliterative 'numbers'."

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I saw his "Blue Velvet" a week or two ago and am still trying to decide what it meant, in a good way.

I saw Blue Velvet several years ago. Meaning: Be careful what you inhale.

• Love 1

The cupid TS surprised me, and I was also a bit surprised no one figured out Ann Arbor from the clue.  Financier was another one I wasn't expecting to go unanswered.

Thanks to The X-Files (in fact, the episode in which Alex Trebek appeared as a man in black), I answered the Roswell clue by shouting "Roswell! Roswell!" like that kid.

I usually do well with math clues, but I missed two; I couldn't get commutative from my brain to my mouth, and I had either somehow never heard or completely forgotten hearing natural numbers.  I also missed two in history, but got everything else in the first round.

In DJ, the specie TS stumped me, too, and I also missed two each in canyons and sonnets, and but I got everything else.

"This phrase relating nutrition and health" made me think "You are what you eat", but then "fruit" made me realize it was "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" instead.  That's a long answer for FJ!  If it took someone half the Think music to come up with it, they'd be challenged to write it down in time.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I saw Blue Velvet several years ago. Meaning: Be careful what you inhale.

I thought you meant something like the proverbial pink elephants, but I looked this up, and I’ll stick to my regularly scheduled liquid vice, I think!

4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Shouldn't it have been tournament of roses PARADE not just tournament of roses?

This timely announcement let’s us know just “Tournament of Roses” is fine, and it seems doubly appropriate for this forum:

image.thumb.jpeg.d0360c19550dd4d61d755461d3e2db69.jpeg

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I've already forgotten his name but I sooo wanted that nice black man to be the one to beat Matt.  It would have meant much more to me than the first black winner of Big Brother which CBS has been bragging about all summer, claiming to have "made history."  Yeah, I don't think they're recalling the text books yet.

My family got every question right last night!  That's me with literature, art and silly easy ones, my son with all history, sports and music, and husband with the math and science.  When will they have the Family Jeopardy tournament I've been waiting for?

• Love 11
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

I've already forgotten his name but I sooo wanted that nice black man to be the one to beat Matt

Yes. Anthony. Odds literally are that whoever beats Matt will not go on to win more than 5 or 6 games, at most, but Anthony seems like he could have racked up a helpful amount of cash. 
And in these days of exploding social media, whoever’s at bat when Matt eventually loses will gain a small measure of fame. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My FJ guess was the apple-a-day answer, and I was convinced it was wrong.

Reefer Madness is a way OTT propaganda film that's hysterically funny to watch now. But back in 1936, it probably scared some teens straight. Maybe. Or maybe not. It became an underground cult favorite and still is to this day.

It's been my experience as a teen in the 70's and a parent in the 90's/aughts that most kids just laugh at what grownups think will scare them. Except possibly scared straight stuff in jails. Those guys are legit scary.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I had a cat who, when given cat food that had peas and carrots in it, would eat everything but leave every single pea and carrot.  It was pretty funny.

It wasn't a great night, but I got FJ easy peasy. If they hadn't said "fruit" scientist, I might have needed a few moments to figure it out.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Thank you for that observation. The moment James was introduced to us for the first time as "a professional gambler from Las Vegas, NV" I had a visceral negative reaction due to my own life experience with my father-in-law who had a lifelong gambling addiction that caused a multitude of problems over the years for our family. Yes, my own experience has definitely colored my opinion of the less-than-classy Mr. Holzhauer, but that doesn't make it any less valid.

I hope you didn't think I  meant to imply that it makes your opinion any less valid. It's just a fact of human nature, and one of the challenges we face when trying to communicate with each other.

James' profession did bother me at first - with no experience with gambling in my background. I got over it, and grew to like James because it hadn't been relevant in my life. I don't like him nearly as much as I like Matt, but I do like him and tend to sort to the positive when possible.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I wondered about that.  I might have pressed my luck on "Rose Bowl Parade" in the heat of the moment.

That's what I said, but marked myself wrong. The way they've been lax with answers, I probably should have given it to myself.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

It's been my experience as a teen in the 70's and a parent in the 90's/aughts that most kids just laugh at what grownups think will scare them. Except possibly scared straight stuff in jails. Those guys are legit scary.

I had a cat who, when given cat food that had peas and carrots in it, would eat everything but leave every single pea and carrot.  It was pretty funny.

It wasn't a great night, but I got FJ easy peasy. If they hadn't said "fruit" scientist, I might have needed a few moments to figure it out.

I had a kitten who used to beg for broccoli.  He grew out of it as an adult, but then developed an unnatural love for olives.  We only had them at holidays and he would go berserk.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I am pretty sure a contestant answered (wrongly) Reefer Madness within the last few weeks.

Instaget FJ. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Trey said:

I am pretty sure a contestant answered (wrongly) Reefer Madness within the last few weeks.

You have a good memory.  That was last Monday.  The clue in Movie Taglines was "1955: 'teenage terror torn from today's headlines.'"  They were looking for "Rebel Without a Cause."

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Can anyone tell me if this is the last week of episodes with Mike Richards as producer?  I caught his name in the credits last night and to be honest it annoyed me.

Friday, Oct. 8 is his last day. Hold out three more days and you'll be good.

9 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

lol...I saw a different one earlier..

But his dollar is gone. No way!

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

At this point when I see the new contestants every day I immediately feel sorry for them.  They seem like innocent lambs or cannon fodder.

I'm surprised they all missed FJ today.  I got it right away, and I'm certainly no expert in French history.

• Love 3

63% / 60% / 61%

Thought I wasn't going to get a single $1000 clue, but I got the one in Double Vowels, then ran the category. Missed all but one bible book.

Ran nothing in DJ but got 4 each in So Cold and Grammys.

My only DD was cyclops and TSes were twee and superconductor. [Edit: I also got 45 degrees. I forgot they credited "bias" as a correct answer so it wasn't marked as a TS in the archive.]

No FJ here. The only "thermidor" I know is the one that involves lobster.

Worst game of the week so far.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

Well, I also said August for FJ. I couldn't have named a single one of those French Revolution months (looked them up on TJF afterwards).

Then I rabbit-holed a bit and looked at where the names of the current months come from - nothing overly surprising but still an interesting read.

Was today our first COVID-related Jeopardy question? As the pandemic has gone on, I keep thinking of things that will be J! questions in a decade or two (e.g. "This was the only Olympics to be held in a different year than the year in its name"). The first (only) single-dose vaccine to be approved in the US was not something I predicted would make it on Jeopardy, and certainly not so soon!

If anyone hasn't seen, TJF has a scoreboard of sorts, comparing Ken Jennings, James Holzhauer and Matt Amodio - for KJ, they are looking at KJ at the same place in his run as Matt is now, rather than at the end of his run.

• Love 5

I got FJ.  It was a complete and utter guess.  I almost tried to go literal with cadeau de chaud, but decided that was stupid.

I got the missed of Long Island and the sort of missed clue of 45 degrees.

I got the entire categories of Bible books, tv families, and oddly on both of these peninsulas and grammys.

I had a great night.

• Love 4

I did get 3 TSs of superconductor, Long Island, 45 degrees 
--and was surprised Matt didn't . He must have been tired? 😩

I was sad that Matt didn't know FJ --I thought he knew languages? Or just Latin? 

9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I almost tried to go literal with cadeau de chaud, but decided that was stupid.

I had no clue for FJ (sorry French teachers from 50 years ago) and would have been proud to have been able to come up with "cadeau de chaud."  

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I had no clue for FJ (sorry French teachers from 50 years ago) and would have been proud to have been able to come up with "cadeau de chaud."  

I think that translates more to gift of hot than gift of heat, though.  Plus, it just doesn't sound like a month name, LOL.

10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Goodness, they seem to be awfully inconsistent on presidential BMS’s. 

Every president with 2 with the same name should need both names.  Every single time.  Unless the clue specifically says something like "this presidential last name." 

I also think he should have needed Natalie Cole's first name, because they do a lot of times when they're going for a relative.  

Since she doesn't use a last name, I'm surprised he didn't just answer "who is?" for Roseanne.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, sd dude said:

What does TS mean?  From context, I realize it refers to a clue that none of the contestants respond to correctly, but I can't figure out what the initials stand for. TIA

TS = "Triple Stumper: no correct answer is given by any player."

See more at: 

6 minutes ago, sd dude said:

What does TS mean?  From context, I realize it refers to a clue that none of the contestants respond to correctly, but I can't figure out what the initials stand for. TIA

Triple Stumper

8 minutes ago, sd dude said:

Triple Stumper.

I felt really smart getting tonight's FJ after missing what should have been an easy question last night. I knew it from cooking: Lobster Thermidor was a trendy party dish in the 1960s. The connection with the French Revolution is explained here.

ETA: I see Shapeshifter and Bklyndeb beat me to the TS explanation!

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.  It was a complete and utter guess.  I almost tried to go literal with cadeau de chaud, but decided that was stupid.

I got the missed of Long Island and the sort of missed clue of 45 degrees.

I got the entire categories of Bible books, tv families, and oddly on both of these peninsulas and grammys.

I had a great night.

Its better than my guess.   I just made up 'calor francais'.  

Also in my head it had a pepe la pew style french accent. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • LOL 4
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

"This phrase relating nutrition and health" made me think "You are what you eat", but then "fruit" made me realize it was "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" instead.  That's a long answer for FJ!  If it took someone half the Think music to come up with it, they'd be challenged to write it down in time.

I would not have gotten yesterday’s FJ without reading “fruit” in the clue.

I checked what the contestants wrote for FJ, and all three wrote “doctor” rather than “Dr.”

If the correct response hadn’t come to me immediately, I might have written “Dr.” if I thought I was running out of time. 
Would that have been acceptable?

I do know that “Dr. Who” is *not* acceptable for “Doctor Who.”

I continue to think that Mayim has improved well. Now I would like her to work on / someone to work with her on pronunciations of foreign words and names. They are not awful, and it might be unfair to expect Alex’s sort of flair, but they could use more precision.

I had no clue at all on FJ. I tried pasting together “hot” and “present” in my mangled French, but only spooked the cats. I have some real knowledge gaps in “western civ” / European history, and it occurred to me recently I never took that in school like many folks did! Maybe even most folks, I’m not sure, but it wasn’t in my curriculum. I consider myself a lifelong learner but haven’t gotten around to it yet, I guess.

I liked seeing a mention of IIT, where my father graduated. I think all my architectural taste must be in my mouth, because the building pictured struck me as…just a box with glass. I prefer daring shapes or more ornament, sometimes a lot more ornament, and just don’t get what the fuss is in many modernist buildings. I will grant that this particular example was ahead of its time when it was built. Still, the gorgeous red brick Victorian they recently sold is much more my style. I’m sure Mies van der Rohe is devastated.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 6

I'm a little bummed no one knew twee; I love that word.  The Long Island TS was surprising.  I'm also a bit surprised Mayim didn't know a bias cut is a 45 degree angle, but I suppose there's no reason I should be. 

I did far worse in the first round than I typically do.  I just stared blankly at the TV for the entire Bible category (I really should have come up with Exodus), and words was the only category I ran.  I missed six among the other  categories, including joining the contestants in being stumped by darts (I've played, but not since I was a kid).

I did much better in DJ; I ran Grammys, cold, and colleges.  I was stumped by the same two planetary words they were (I've never heard either one), and also missed two in writers and one in peninsulas.

But I had no idea for FJ.  I could have sat here for an hour and had no idea.  So I feel better it was a TS.  And now I want lobster thermidor.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Since she doesn't use a last name, I'm surprised he didn't just answer "who is?" for Roseanne.

Ha!  Actually, though, she went back to using Barr years ago.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I'm a little bummed no one knew twee; I love that word. … I'm also a bit surprised Mayim didn't know a bias cut is a 45 degree angle, but I suppose there's no reason I should be.

I was hung up on “naff,” which is double letter but obviously not vowel. I like “twee” but love “naff.” RE bias, I think she might have known it, but if the voice in her earpiece says “no,” it says “no.” Eh, maybe I’m just in an uncommonly generous mood again. ;)