Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Glitches said:

I see a marked improvement in wardrobe choice and fit since her temporary stint so I think it is entirely possible that Mayim has fashion assistance from a stylist now that she is a permanent host. We expect that Savannah Guthrie and Robin Roberts who appear on daily morning shows know how to dress to flatter themselves as temporary hosts or know who to ask for advice. I expect Alex Trebek also had a stylist and/or wardrobe allowance or sponser. Although her personal choices are evident, I am pleased to see that Mayim is likely offered assistance from the show. 

I don't really care what she wears; it's not my style (for the most part; she's had a few tops I'd probably wear) and I often think it's not particularly flattering on her, but whatever makes her happy. It was just that the jacket pattern/color + the bright/shiny green blouse was a little hard on the eyes.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

And I recognized the Doberman, because I’m old, and they were more common in the 1960s.

LOL. Tell that to all my friends who show Dobermans, and the Doberman club that I work for. Dobes are the 18th most popular AKC breed (out of 197) in the United States. So ... nope.

20 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It was just that the jacket pattern/color + the bright/shiny green blouse was a little hard on the eyes.

When I saw it my first thought was it would make a great outfit for showing dogs. I'd wear it in a heartbeat to my next show if she wants to pass it along.

• Love 4

I didn't like the shirt/jacket combo, either, but I've been seeing more and more men wearing suits with what to me is a clashing set of patterns and colors between the shirt and the jacket. I think it's becoming a trend. It's not to my taste, but I guess if others enjoy it, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Matt's Smokey Bear is called out on Twitter,

What grinds my gears is not so much that they accepted it, but that Mayim didn't say, "It's actually Smokey Bear, but we'll accept that."  No one in the writer's room - filled with people paid to dissect and disseminate trivia - knew his real name, or came upon that fact while fact-checking the clues?

Because that should have been known, and then, well aware how common a mistake "Smokey the Bear" is, they should have decided whether it would be accepted.  So, if they were going to allow it, the answer sheet should have read "Smokey Bear (or Smokey the Bear)" and they should have discussed it during the rundown, so that if it indeed happened during the game Mayim could take three seconds to educate contestant and audience alike.

The way it played, though, made it seem like Matt was hardly the only one who didn't know the name. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I’m old, old enough to remember when Smokey was all over TV, and I always thought it was Smokey the Bear.  Huh.

Tomorrow, if he wins, Matt Amodio will surpass James Holzhauer’s winning streak.  I never thought I would want that to happen, because I always liked James.  But some of his Twitter snark has been reading a bit bratty of late, so I actually want Matt to not only surpass his streak, but surpass it by a lot.  I know not everyone likes Matt or his style of play, but he seems like a really nice, cool guy.

• Love 18
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Matt doesn't know dog breeds. I will have to take him to a few dog shows.

I got Doberman. I would have anyway, but I also watched a very cute video featuring a very smart pup named Ruby this afternoon. (And omg I just found her instagram. Her human is pretty cute, too.)

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Bastet said:

What grinds my gears is not so much that they accepted it, but that Mayim didn't say, "It's actually Smokey Bear, but we'll accept that."  No one in the writer's room - filled with people paid to dissect and disseminate trivia - knew his real name, or came upon that fact while fact-checking the clues?

Because that should have been known, and then, well aware how common a mistake "Smokey the Bear" is, they should have decided whether it would be accepted.  So, if they were going to allow it, the answer sheet should have read "Smokey Bear (or Smokey the Bear)" and they should have discussed it during the rundown, so that if it indeed happened during the game Mayim could take three seconds to educate contestant and audience alike.

The way it played, though, made it seem like Matt was hardly the only one who didn't know the name. 

I'm still blaming Richards for crap like this. As long as the man who's not interested in trivia is seated at the judges' table, I can visualize him shrugging his shoulders and saying, "Close enough."  If they kept him for 11 days after firing him as host, does that mean he's still EP for all of next week's games, too?  WHEN will they rid us of this turbulent (troublesome) EP?

I knew the Dobie because my former bosses got their Dobie Doggos from a Dobie Rescue group. They kept their ears and their tails. After the latest female died, they got a Jack Russell, named Tito, who must have run the male Dobie ragged.  I don't know if they ever got more Dobies, or just have Tito now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Glitches said:

I expect Alex Trebek also had a stylist and/or wardrobe allowance or sponser.

Yes, sometimes you could catch "Alex Trebek's wardrobe provided by Giorgio Armani" or somesuch in the end credits. Here's a story about his stylist from a few years ago: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/12/alex-trebek-stylist-phil-wayne

Mayim was wearing red shoes--funny (to me), given the correct FJ response. Of course, the shoes are silver in the book. And the book was originally titled The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, but editions without "wonderful" have been published, and Jeopardy has accepted/used both titles in the past.

• Useful 7
  • Love 4

If it's the bulb it's SHAllot in the US, shaLLOT in the UK (thanks, Gardeners' World!) . When it comes to the poem, it should be shaLLOT because 1. British poem, 2. place name, 3. rhymes with Camelot in the poem.

Paul Bunyan and Johnny Appleseed aren't bad guesses but they never crossed my mind because they predate 1900 and, as folklore, aren't written by anyone in particular.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, ABay said:

If it's the bulb it's SHAllot in the US, shaLLOT in the UK (thanks, Gardeners' World!) . When it comes to the poem, it should be shaLLOT because 1. British poem, 2. place name, 3. rhymes with Camelot in the poem.

Paul Bunyan and Johnny Appleseed aren't bad guesses but they never crossed my mind because they predate 1900 and, as folklore, aren't written by anyone in particular.

I cringed when Mayim pronounced it “The Lady of Shallot”, like the bulb.  There is no way that should have come from her mouth, because it is wrong, wrong wrong!

• Love 9

14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Matt doesn't know dog breeds. I will have to take him to a few dog shows.

Congrats to Matt for another win. I've never been so invested in this show and a player, ever. It just brightens my life to watch Matt every day.

I see what you want there. 😉 I think Matt is really sweet. He's self-deprecating, which almost top of my list of character traits for people I like.

13 hours ago, secnarf said:

That was my response as well, but I think more likely she misread the clue and thought they wanted something from the year 2000, not 1900.

I was thinking that too. I didn't get it, for some reason I never associated Wizard of Oz as a fairy tale (which is amusing, since I loved the book Wicked, and the author's deal was to take a spin on fairy tale perspectives).

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't think people are making a mistake as much as Smokey the Bear has become the ubiquitous way to which he is referred, and generations have grown up with that name instead of Smokey Bear. Irritating to those who know better, absolutely. But there is a reason Jeopardy accepts multiple answers for names and expressions.

At some point, common parlance becomes the accepted name, and the question would be "what was the original name of this..."

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 12
27 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Mayims wardrobe is just awful. It's like a 10 year old girl is dressing her.  

Thank you. I love it, love her, love her clothes. If that makes me 10, that's two years younger than my 12-year-old brain. So yeah, thanks!

11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If they kept him for 11 days after firing him as host, does that mean he's still EP for all of next week's games, too?  WHEN will they rid us of this turbulent (troublesome) EP?

Andy over at TFJ said Oct. 8 is MR's last day as EP. (So many initials!)

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
40 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Smokey the bear ....I knew that would blow up when he said it.  At least online.  Though everybody still says it that way

No, not everybody says it that way.

ETA: Below Wilmington, NC, before you get to South Carolina, there's a town called Shalotte. They stress the second syllable, otherwise, they might get mistaken for Charlotte, NC.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 4

Perhaps I was feeling uncommonly generous after a pleasant night out, but I thought Shrek had to be a joking “don’t know” answer. Otherwise it was absolutely dreadful, even if you allow that she might’ve focused on the wrong year of the two mentioned. But I thought she seemed a quirky type, and the answer made me laugh with her.

RE “Wizard of Oz,” I can understand why they accepted that answer. But I would have awarded beaucoup style points to anyone who included “Wonderful,” which to my mind is the strictly correct answer to the prompt given.

I’m afraid I didn’t much like Mayim’s outfit either, but I told myself that if she continues to make small changes to her hosting style on her current path, she could turn up in a gunny sack and that would still be preferable to other options.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Perhaps I was feeling uncommonly generous after a pleasant night out, but I thought Shrek had to be a joking “don’t know” answer.

That relates to the question I often ask here, is it better to grab some answer, any answer, out of the air in the off chance it might be right or put no answer at all and know for a fact you are a screwed loser.

I'd grab whatever word floated past me just so I'd have an answer, any answer, and tough toenails to all the online posters who make fun of me. "Hey, I'm on the show, you're not."

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, Glitches said:

I see a marked improvement in wardrobe choice and fit since her temporary stint so I think it is entirely possible that Mayim has fashion assistance from a stylist now that she is a permanent host. We expect that Savannah Guthrie and Robin Roberts who appear on daily morning shows know how to dress to flatter themselves as temporary hosts or know who to ask for advice. I expect Alex Trebek also had a stylist and/or wardrobe allowance or sponser. Although her personal choices are evident, I am pleased to see that Mayim is likely offered assistance from the show. 

Smoky Bear is the correct name. Matt did not get this correct and IMHO the points total should have been corrected. 

I, too, wondered if she had a stylist helping her now.  Her early outfits seemed rather drab & the blazers did not fit quite right.  I thought the colorful outfit she had on last night was an improvement & I liked her red low-heel shoes very much(she usually wears flats which I am sure are comfortable but not as flattering on TV)

• Love 2

A grad student and two PhD students. Interesting.

63% / 63% / 64%

In J! I ran Fun & Games and Reference, was one word off on the DD and my only TS was filing.

In DJ I ran Science and only got two books which annoys me. Got one DD and my only TS was Menudo.

FJ was instaget. "Hoseman" implied firefighter, which implied famous disaster +1906 = SF earthquake

Edited by ams1001
left out final score
  • Love 4

Foul!!! "The Girl in BLANK BLANK BLANK" requires 3 words ("the Spider's Web"). Could have sworn Matt said only 2 ("Spider's Web"). Granted, it was only worth $400 and would have made no difference in the end, but he should have been ruled incorrect.

• Love 4

Instaget FJ today, although Chicago crossed my mind as well.  I am terrible at dates and history, but I know there was a great fire in Chicago, too!  Glad I stuck with my first impulse.

The only TS I got was knock-kneed.  It seemed like there were more than usual TS tonight, or was I imagining things?

I liked middle guy's story about his name.

• Love 7

Very happy for Matt. Everything else is icing on the cake.
But now that he's got a method that works, this could go on for a while.

I got the TS of knock knees.

For FJ I went from hoseman to Triangle Shirtwaist Factory, and figured they weren't deemed heroes, and then wandered around the east coast for awhile in my mind. Having lived 20 years in Northern California didn't seem to matter.
I'm very glad Matt knew it. 

37 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Foul!!! "The Girl in BLANK BLANK BLANK" requires 3 words ("the Spider's Web"). Could have sworn Matt said only 2 ("Spider's Web"). Granted, it was only worth $400 and would have made no difference in the end, but he should have been ruled incorrect.

No. He was careful to say the 3 words.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

FJ was instaget. "Hoseman" implied firefighter, which implied famous disaster =

= Chicago fire. So yeah, an instaget for me too. So I was a few years off. Side note: Chicago Fire is the name of a football/soccer team based there.

Matt looked exceedingly handsome, dashing and sophisticated in that great suit and tie he was wearing today. Maybe to look his best for his record-breaking win today? If so or if not, well done my man Matt. Brilliant.

Shout out to rabbit lovers today.

While I've never had a knock-kneed horse, I did know that was the answer, although the horse in that illustration had a serious problem with toeing out too.

The single dollar at the end of Matt's total cracks me up.

• Love 8

My cat, Stella, is knock-kneed, too, but only in the back. She's bow-legged in the front. Yeah, she can spell OX all by herself.

The one dollar amuses me, too.

Great looking outfits on both Matt & Mayim today.  (Can we get PTV to add "Mayim" to their spell-check list?)

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

My cat, Stella, is knock-kneed, too, but only in the back.

Stella would be cow hocked in horse lingo (and dog speak). But yeah, knock kneed works too I guess. When she walks, she must look like she's going in two directions at once from the back. (You need another cat named Stanley.)

• LOL 2

He did it! Congrats to Matt!

I found both challengers today to be charming and I developed a massive crush on Samantha which has never happened before for me with a contestant.

Mayim sounds excited all the time. I think her enthusiasm may be genuine, but it starts to sound fake when it's up all the time.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The only TS I got was knock-kneed.  It seemed like there were more than usual TS tonight, or was I imagining things?

There were 3 in each round, plus Matt's missed DD in the second round.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1

None of the TS truly surprised me, but if asked to predict I'd have guessed that someone would've answered the plates, filing, and Menudo clues.

The Who's Who TS stumped me, too; if they'd chosen a different profession as the example, I think all four of us would've had a better chance.  If it wasn't for the movies category, I'd have only missed one other in the first round, but I blew that category, missing three.

In DJ, I did poorly in big books and alliteration, missing three each.  Bands was the only category I ran, but I only missed one each in the others.

FJ wasn't an instaget, but an insta-reasoning: Hoseman means firefighter, so which American city had a big fire in 1906?  Chicago seems too obvious and I'm pretty sure that was 19th century.  All I can think of for 1906 was the earthquake in -- oh, that's it, the fires that resulted from the San Francisco earthquake.

So, overall a good game for me despite three weak categories.  And I like when FJs come to me that way (sure, instagets are fun, too, but I enjoy the thought process).

• Love 3

Mayim seems to like "absolutely!" in place of the giggling from her first round when she wants to acknowledge a response that is fun, cute, whatever.  I think it's a good compromise.  It's nice and crisp and not too much.  It made me smile that Hungry Hungry Hippos got the "absolutely!" treatment.

I knew FJ immediately.  It helps that I live in San Francisco and immerse myself in its history for fun.  In general I thought the clue was probably medium-tough.  Chicago is a good guess.  Their great fire was actually 150 years ago next week: it ignited on October 8, 1871.  I wonder whether the contestants who answered Boston or Pittsburgh were thinking of something particular or just took a stab at cities they knew were prominent by 1906.

Here is a bit more from an SFFD Friends group about James O'Neil and his wife Mary.  The subsequent fires were even more lethal, but James was killed by the earthquake itself while on night watch at the firehouse.  I read in another source that he was drawing water for the horses when the American Hotel next door collapsed onto him.  Later, when one of the first big fires touched off around the corner, there was no water to be had at all.  I go by these sites sometimes and will have to remember James when I do.

I couldn't quickly learn anything about how Mary or their daughter fared after 1906, but I did learn that the exact site of James' grave at Holy Cross Cemetery in nearby Colma appears to have been lost in the shuffle.  Anyway, the Call article mentioned in the clue is here.  That paper, after a series of mergers, became part of the Examiner, which is still published.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2

I had always wondered why an earthquake would produce fires until I read a short story about it that mentioned the quake ruptured the gas lines, which, in turn, caught fire.  I don't think I'd like to live where there's a fault nearby.

Although - I live about 8 miles east of downtown Atlanta. In 2011, there was a 5.8 earthquake just west of Richmond, VA, about 500 miles away. I was sitting at my table, having lunch, and I felt it. It wasn't a big thing, just a slight swaying-ish movement that made me feel kind of carsick. I don't want to get any closer than that to an earthquake.

• Love 3

I've been playing a lot of hooky... way behind here (usually on my phone and for some reason can't "like" posts... grrr...), and just barely keeping up with J! (Some weird fam s**t going on - it amazes me how you never know what bizarreness is waiting 'round the bend. Thank goodness, 'cause if I'd known ahead of time what I'd be facing, I definitely would have run for the hills.)

Appreciate all your posts - and keeping me in the know.

Wow. Matt is something extra-special... and I suspect everyone is feeling a similar way, or thinking a similar thought, "will today be the day?" He's put a new spin on my day. Do NOT call me from 6:30-7!

I hope he wins forever... or at least smashes Ken's record. Can hardly wait for Matt to still be reigning champ when Ken returns to host... tee hee.

This is such a 'bizarre' winning streak - so many hosts, so much drama with Mikey - and Matt continues to be grounded, politely non-annoying (JMO... I realize others don't have the same opinion), witty/funny (ONLY YOU for the Smoky retort gave me a fantastic core workout... I'm still giggling), and from everything I've read, he's just one great guy. Too bad he's taken. LOL, @Saber5055!

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Although - I live about 8 miles east of downtown Atlanta. In 2011, there was a 5.8 earthquake just west of Richmond, VA, about 500 miles away. I was sitting at my table, having lunch, and I felt it. It wasn't a big thing, just a slight swaying-ish movement that made me feel kind of carsick. I don't want to get any closer than that to an earthquake.

I felt that on my couch in New Jersey. At first I thought it was a truck going by (my apartment faced a main road) until I realized there was no traffic. We had one here some months ago; don't remember the magnitude but the epicenter was only a few miles away. (It was early in the morning and woke me up but there was no damage.)

I read a book a few (several?) years ago set around the SF earthquake, so that might have helped me remember the year, too.

5 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

And I DD-love the way he pats his heart when he hears his money amount (and gets FJ right).

The first time he did that I was afraid he was having a heart attack.

I haven't been writing down my ts's lately - I know got at least a couple but don't remember what they were.

Instaget FJ.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Well up to #2 on the wins list, still #3 in regular game winnings. 

I forget how much he had at the end of Friday, but he has at least another million to go to get to second in regular game winnings. That's a  lot, but I hope he makes it.

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

For FJ I went from hoseman to Triangle Shirtwaist Factory, and figured they weren't deemed heroes, and then wandered around the east coast for awhile in my mind. Having lived 20 years in Northern California didn't seem to matter.

Once again we're in sync. I first went to the Triangle Shirtwaist factory too, I don't know why I changed my mind but I'm glad I did. Not only did I live in the SF Bay Area for many years, I knew a survivor of the quake. She survived because she was teenaged open mouthed sleeper, and woke when debris hit her mouth - just in time for her to get out of the way of the chimney that would have killed her.

10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had always wondered why an earthquake would produce fires until I read a short story about it that mentioned the quake ruptured the gas lines, which, in turn, caught fire.  I don't think I'd like to live where there's a fault nearby.

You get used to it. Just like you get used to hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards and wildfires. You're always a bit uneasy (I hated when I was stopped beneath an overpass in CA), but it's a fact of life. I've thought about getting out of wildfire country - but everywhere has something.

10 hours ago, Bliss said:

This is such a 'bizarre' winning streak - so many hosts, so much drama with Mikey - and Matt continues to be grounded, politely non-annoying (JMO... I realize others don't have the same opinion), witty/funny (ONLY YOU for the Smoky retort gave me a fantastic core workout... I'm still giggling), and from everything I've read, he's just one great guy. Too bad he's taken. LOL, @Saber5055!

I just started following Matt last night, and that tweet was the first one I saw. I loved it and even made my social media hating husband read it.

I did pretty well. I ran the Bands category (much to my surprise - but they had oldies, so it was more up my alley). I got 3 to 4 responses in most categories, and unfortunately many of the ones I missed were ones I knew, but couldn't get it out of my mind and into my mouth. So it was a good night. I don't really care how well I do (except for our FJ contest), I just want to have fun - and getting the answers is fun. 😊 Though occasionally, sometimes answering stupidly can be fun, we always have a good laugh.

I was really glad Matt won. He's really endeared himself to me. At first I wasn't sure I liked him, but now I think he has the sweetest smile and still seems surprised and happy after each win.

I loved that it was the battle of the graduate students last night.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I forget how much he had at the end of Friday, but he has at least another million to go to get to second in regular game winnings. That's a  lot, but I hope he makes it.

His total at the end of Friday:

33-day champion: $1,267,801

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

His total at the end of Friday:

33-day champion: $1,267,801

I recall back when Matt's total was a few hundred $K that, when asked by whichever guest host what he intended to do with his winnings, Matt said he would buy a home. This should enable him to get a dream home, even in the current crazy housing market. 

Some tweets last night about Matt's style of playing (and winning) Jeopardy! sent me back to look at my early opinions of his strategy posted here on primetimer.com,
which were on point,
if not always as magnanimous as I recall, LOL:

my [ams1001] brother sent me the following text toward the end of the game: 
"A: This person is the most annoying Jeopardy player ever.
"Q: What's Matt...."

Hah! While I [shapeshifter] appreciate Matt's decision to economize his synapse firings by just using "What's" for all responses..., I think it probably registered on my Annoyance Scale just as high as on your brother's. 
(shapeshifter, July 22, 2021, forums.primetimer.com/topic/111452-jeopardy-season-37-2020-2021/?do=findComment&comment=6908120)

but by the next day, I was warming up to him:

Matt pausing to check his answers may slow it down a bit, but that too is a valid winning strategy. 
(shapeshifter, July 23, 2021, forums.primetimer.com/topic/111452-jeopardy-season-37-2020-2021/?do=findComment&comment=6910294)

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Some tweets last night about Matt's style of playing (and winning) Jeopardy! sent me back to look at my early opinions of his strategy posted here on primetimer.com,
which were on point,
if not always as magnanimous as I recall, LOL:

my [ams1001] brother sent me the following text toward the end of the game: 
"A: This person is the most annoying Jeopardy player ever.
"Q: What's Matt...."

lol...I just looked at my texts to see what my response to him was. I said he was not the most annoying by a long shot but I wouldn't miss him when he was gone. I take that back.

• Love 3

Continuing earthquake talk, I've felt several in Illinois from the New Madrid fault that runs through four states along the Mississippi valley. Largest was a 5.4 which shook the house and made me wonder why buses were running at night until the news explained it the next day. Like @Prevailing Wind, the swaying made me feel woozy and dizzy. A second one some years later had the same effect, it made me dizzy and unbalanced. I wonder why that is. I guess if I lived in California, those earthquakes would make me fall flat on my face. An Illinois earthquake that resulted in damage happened some years ago. So, no place is really safe. While Illinois won't crack off into the ocean, it could sink into the Mississippi. No resulting fires yet though.

I watched a Ken-host episode early this a.m. and while I was rooting for him as perm host at the beginning, after getting used to Mayim I didn't like him as much. Odd how getting used to something can change one's mind since I didn't care for Mayim during her guest-host stint. Now I like her better than Ken.

Go figure.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

So if Matt has a shot at Ken's record, I believe it would happen while Ken's hosting 

If my calculations are correct, he'd hit #75 on November 30th (assuming there are no breaks in regular games between now and then).

From what I've read, Mayim's current run goes to November 5th, then they are splitting hosting for the rest of the year "as their schedules allow" so I'm not sure if Ken would be hosting that week or not.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

So if Matt has a shot at Ken's record, I believe it would happen while Ken's hosting 

Matt, The Giant Slayer.

I am really enjoying his run and I hope he does break all the records. Even when it's a runaway, I'm finding these games exciting. 

I realize my idea of excitement is rather mild by most standards. You won't catch me skydiving.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10