Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Brews, Stews & Management Blues

• Start Topic

Chef Mathew hopes to polish off his most successful charter to date, while Lloyd leads an Oktoberfest celebration. Katie struggles to keep the interior afloat leaving her to make a very unusual decision about her team.

Bravo Airdate: 08/23/2021

This season the episodes will be airing a week earlier on Peacock Premium.  You can comment on the episode once it is live there.  Anyone waiting for the Bravo airing, be aware there will be early comments on the episode - so don't enter if you don't want to be spoiled!

• Love 1

Man, you wake up in the morning and the first thing you do is pour yourself a drink? Vodka and orange juice? You've got yourself a drinking problem, buddy. I don't care if you are on vacation, that's messed up.

Courtney is right, this new girl should be replacing Lexi not helping her out. She's just going to take more of the tip away from everyone else. I wonder if they are actually afraid to fire Lexi.

I have to admit I've warmed up to the deck crew (minus Malia). Nerdy guys to be sure but such a refreshing change from the raging assholes they usually hire.

Everything Sandy does or says makes me cringe. "I let Katie make this decision to show her how much I believe in her." Puh-leeeez! Does she actually believe her own bullshit?  Or does she think we do? We're not idiots, we know she doesn't actually have any say in this. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 22

So they're going to add a stew instead of firing Lexi, at least at first?

Lexi better understand that the next time she gets belligerent, she's gone.  She toned down her act this episode, though she did a shit job, got the interior dept. called out by that drunk guest -- just had to have an adult beverage the first thing in the morning, before getting any food, so he raided the bar himself.

Mat is getting raves for the food, probably got them the biggest tip.  But the previews for rest of the season shows the replacement chef showing up, so either he relapses or they try to amp up the firing plot lines again.  He's actually very chill when working with Kate or Courtney.

Rest of the crew was civil to Lexi but Courtney is getting resentful and they're probably going to figure out they can get bigger tips if Lexi leaves.

Surprised they didn't go out again, just chilling on the boat.  They didn't make them have drinking party this time with the women twerking. What's going on, the producers were taking a break?

• Love 12

So Lexi continues to slack off and talk smack about rank. She made so many mistakes this episode it was crazy.  Glad Katie told her no ranks anymore, lmao.  Their goes her plans to outrank the new girl.  Oh and again with the lifeguard shorts.... maybe she has a multipack?

I don't think I'll ever like snaky Malia, but I can admit I envy women or people in general like her with the free spirit to travel the world.  She's working hard at redemption, that's pretty obvious.   It seems her deck crew is benefiting from it though, and I like those guys.  Genuine good hearted guys for a change, if not dorky at times, haha.  They just haven't found their mojo yet. 

I'm sure I'll think of more to post later.... just some initial observations.

• Love 9

This episode seemed pretty boring and also seemed odd. Boring because it’s more of a setup to next weeks episode and odd because I had the feeling that the guests were prompted to complain about the service upon disembarking. They loved the food and gave the best tip of the season, yet they quibble over having to get their own drink first thing in the AM. Something seemed off. Then again it’s reality tv and Lexi is good for the show. That’s probably why she hasn’t been fired yet. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Man, you wake up in the morning and the first thing you do is pour yourself a drink? Vodka and orange juice?

I'd definitely pour myself orange juice. Poor guy also got pulp in his vodka. :D

• LOL 6

I can't help but love the deck crew.  I so feel for Katie with not much support from Yawn. I hope I didn't see the previews correctly because it looks like Mathew is out? What does he do? The guests loved his food. I was salivating over it too.

Who was it who got fell/got hit against the wall in previews?

Edited by nokat
  • Love 1

Is it normal for captains to visit the guests multiple times per day to ask how the food is, how things are, etc.?  We certainly never see Captain Lee do it.  Geesh.  I think Sandy is even worse this season.

I cannot believe they're not going to let Lexi go.  They're paying the other person so might as well bring her on the boat?  Well, then fire the one who is also being paid and doing nothing.  Geesh.  Although from the promos, she is pissy about doing laundry.

• Love 13
34 minutes ago, KLJ said:

Is it normal for captains to visit the guests multiple times per day to ask how the food is, how things are, etc.?  We certainly never see Captain Lee do it.  Geesh.  I think Sandy is even worse this season.

I cannot believe they're not going to let Lexi go.  They're paying the other person so might as well bring her on the boat?  Well, then fire the one who is also being paid and doing nothing.  Geesh.  Although from the promos, she is pissy about doing laundry.

I know, right about giving guests reasons to complain. Stop it Sandy.

Lexi sexually assaulted Lloyd, then physically assaulted Mzi. Off the boat for me.

• Love 20
On 8/16/2021 at 3:02 PM, iMonrey said:

Man, you wake up in the morning and the first thing you do is pour yourself a drink? Vodka and orange juice? You've got yourself a drinking problem, buddy. I don't care if you are on vacation, that's messed up.

Courtney is right, this new girl should be replacing Lexi not helping her out. She's just going to take more of the tip away from everyone else. I wonder if they are actually afraid to fire Lexi.

I have to admit I've warmed up to the deck crew (minus Malia). Nerdy guys to be sure but such a refreshing change from the raging assholes they usually hire.

Everything Sandy does or says makes me cringe. "I let Katie make this decision to show her how much I believe in her." Puh-leeeez! Does she actually believe her own bullshit?  Or does she think we do? We're not idiots, we know she doesn't actually have any say in this. 

These immature, alcoholic guests pissed me off to no end when they were departing without mentioning the exceptional service that they received from Katie, who in my opinion is the best, hardest working, most awesome supervisor of a chief stew on all the "Below Deck" programs ever.  They even repeatedly asked her why she's the only one they see working, so we know that they know that she worked her ass off for their charter.  Thus, they should have given her the same level of standout praise that they gave about Matt's cooking, so that Captain Asshat would be aware of what an awesome crew leader she has, and so that everyone else on the crew would know as well.  At least they were generous with their tip. 

Speaking of tips, it's so odd to me that it's not a rounded up amount.  I believe this tip amount ended in 585 as regards U.S. dollars.  So weird to me.

It's going to suck moving forward that the tip is now going to have to spread out over one more interior crew stew all because of Vexy Lexy not doing her job properly or thoroughly or competently.  In fact, Vexy Lexi should never, ever receive any tip proceeds whatsoever for what a lazy, belligerent, unpleasant, incompetent, effing asshole she always is.

Every single one of these nerdy, goofy guys has become exponentially more attractive and appealing per each episode that has passed and they have remained/continued to be class acts, hard workers, respectful, considerate, professional and helpful in all manners of their own duties as well as when pitching in to assist in other capacities than their deck obligations.  This is seriously the BEST deck crew ever (despite Malia being part of that crew).

Captain Asshat is delusional.  On what planet would anything she says or does pass the sniff test?  The only thing that she is an expert at is undermining her crew, and her department heads in particular.  This sorry excuse for a human being does NOT inspire, support, respect, reward, give two sh**s about anyone other than herself.  She is holding onto this televised gig for dear life, because she realizes after however many seasons it's been that this C U Next Tuesday has been appearing on the "Below Deck" franchise that NO ONE in the real yachting world would hire or want to work under her based on her UTTER AWFULNESS!!!

• Love 13
18 hours ago, nokat said:

I know, right about giving guests reasons to complain. Stop it Sandy.

Lexi sexually assaulted Lloyd, then physically assaulted Mzi. Off the boat for me.

Exactly.  Yet all Hannah did was neglect to register her RX that was legitimately prescribed to her by a doctor for a condition that is well-known by everyone on board, including Captain Asshat.  Oh, and also she didn't want to change rooms so that Captain Asshat's bitch, Malaria, could romp around the shared room with her ex-boyfriend because, as she very clearly and simply explained that she and awful Bugsy were getting along with the way things were, and didn't want to upset that.

Karma's a bitch, at least it was for Malaria.  No more boyfriend, and from the looks of it moving forward, and even thus far, Malaria no longer seems to be in good or special favor with Captain Asshat ( was going to say on Captain Asshat's good side, but we all well know that that asshole doesn't have any good sides whatsover).

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Xebug67 said:

These immature, alcoholic guests pissed me off to no end when they were departing without mentioning the exceptional service that they received from Katie, who in my opinion is the best, hardest working, most awesome supervisor of a chief stew on all the "Below Deck" programs ever.  They even repeatedly asked her why she's the only one they see working, so we know that they know that she worked her ass off for their charter.

I so agree with this. At least they all got a good tip.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

Exactly.  Yet all Hannah did was neglect to register her RX that was legitimately prescribed

Umm, does Sandy even know what Lexi has done? Lee never fired Ashton and the Misogynistic Assholes. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

It looked like David, and it looked extremely painful.

I physically cringed when I saw him falling.  Falling like that and hitting your head really really freaks me out, and the angle certainly doesn't look good.

21 hours ago, nokat said:

I wonder if this will be brought up if they have a reunion.  I hope so.

3 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

Karma's a bitch, at least it was for Malaria.  No more boyfriend, and from the looks of it moving forward, and even thus far, Malaria no longer seems to be in good or special favor with Captain Asshat ( was going to say on Captain Asshat's good side, but we all well know that that asshole doesn't have any good sides whatsover).

I do take joy at this.  Now that they no longer have Hannah to focus on, they will inevitably turn on each other right?  Can't wait!!!  I like them not getting along and despise the false niceties.  Malia has slightly redeemed herself in my eyes, but I will never feel the same about Sandy.

I went on Sandy's twitter to see if she said anything in response to the behavior of Lexi.  Nothing.

Edited by KLJ
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

Umm, does Sandy even know what Lexi has done? Lee never fired Ashton and the Misogynistic Assholes.

From what we have seen, Sandy doesn't know most of the specifics of Lexi's atrocious behavior and lazy work ethic. And it's entirely her own fault. One of Sandy's biggest failures as a manager is her terrible listening skills. Rather than truly listening and then responding thoughtfully, she immediately forms her response in her head and then cuts off the other speaker. It's what she has done to Katie all season. Another reason Sandy is completely ignorant about Lexi's true nature is because of her ridiculous decision to include Lexi in her conversation with Katie and in the crew meeting after Satan Night. If Sandy had spoken to each member of the crew privately after Katie first came to her, she probably would have found out about the verbal, physical and sexual assaults that Lexi committed. 

• Love 17
41 minutes ago, Jsage said:

From what we have seen, Sandy doesn't know most of the specifics of Lexi's atrocious behavior and lazy work ethic. And it's entirely her own fault. One of Sandy's biggest failures as a manager is her terrible listening skills. Rather than truly listening and then responding thoughtfully, she immediately forms her response in her head and then cuts off the other speaker. It's what she has done to Katie all season. Another reason Sandy is completely ignorant about Lexi's true nature is because of her ridiculous decision to include Lexi in her conversation with Katie and in the crew meeting after Satan Night. If Sandy had spoken to each member of the crew privately after Katie first came to her, she probably would have found out about the verbal, physical and sexual assaults that Lexi committed. 

But part of that is on Katie. If your boss isn't listening MAKE them listen. Or write it out. And no doubt Production has a big part to play as well.

I get a lot of people dislike, or even hate, Sandy. But some of the things they choose to blame her for aren't really on her or are the same things we've seen from other Captains.

• Love 1

If Sandy really wanted to see what happened she could see the footage.

That's assuming she would really have a say on whether Lexi stayed or not.

Hell the producers could fire her, based on her getting physical with other cast mates.

Reality shows used to have that standard, get physical, get booted.

Then they decided to go all Jerry Springer.

• Love 3

Since I'm still new to the Below Deck world, I didn't have any opinions on Sandy or Malia when starting this season. So far, I haven't seen any of the toxicity Malia is known for (not saying it doesn't exist, just not on this season that I've noticed), but she has a sick body! Kinda jealous/don't blame David for being into her "work ethic" (which I assume means "perfect abs").

Sandy has mostly been fine, if a little too interested in being the crew's buddy, but I have been frustrated with her in how she's shrugged off Katie's attempts to deal with Lexi. Yes, it would be nice if Katie were more assertive about it, but I can understand if she's trying to manage Sandy's ego and maybe avoid becoming another most-hated Cheese Shoe like the infamous June June Hannah. I thought it was horrendous management to invite Lexi's shit-stirring little self into the meeting when Katie was trying to warn her, and then later to dismiss all of Katie's concerns with "just try to support her." That's advice for dealing with someone who's new and unsure of themselves, or going through a tough time but keeping it mostly to themselves. Not for someone who physically and verbally assaults their co-workers, which Sandy may not have known, but that's because she kept interrupting to spout platitudes.

Some blame is on Katie for not leading with: "guess who rubbed their tits on Lloyd. Hint: same person who shoved Mzi and called him a weird, inaccurate slur!" -- but the lion's share is on the captain. Captains are literally a metaphor for being in charge of the ship and going down with it if necessary! Sandy, all we're asking is for you to zip it for a sec and let Katie finish explaining why Miss Bahamas 2013 is not going to make it to the final round.

• Love 10

I hope I didn't see the previews correctly because it looks like Mathew is out? What does he do?

Pure speculation based on previews:

Spoiler

It appears that Matt burns his hand, so he's replaced at least temporarily because of that.

On 8/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, KLJ said:

I physically cringed when I saw him falling.  Falling like that and hitting your head really really freaks me out, and the angle certainly doesn't look good.

I wonder if this will be brought up if they have a reunion.  I hope so.

I do take joy at this.  Now that they no longer have Hannah to focus on, they will inevitably turn on each other right?  Can't wait!!!  I like them not getting along and despise the false niceties. Malia has slightly redeemed herself in my eyes, but I will never feel the same about Sandy.

I went on Sandy's twitter to see if she said anything in response to the behavior of Lexi.  Nothing.

As much as I have always despised Malaria, even since her first season when she was playing Wes and Adam off against each other, but especially with how she was with Hannah, she has shown herself to be a better human being than I thought possible as regards her.  She is a good boss, and she clearly loves her job and profession.  I do believe that she will one day be a boat captain.  Sandy, on the other hand, can never redeem herself in my eyes, both on the show as a cast member and also as a shit human being in real life with her nasty, condescending, obnoxious social media posts.

• Love 10
On 8/18/2021 at 2:31 PM, Jsage said:

Which is part of why it's so crazy that Captain Asshat is always around and micromanaging at the WRONG times (e.g. constantly asking the guests if they're enjoying the meal, if they're being taken care of, if they're enjoying the amenities, etc.) but is NEVER around when the shit's going down OR paying attention when being told about all the shit going down.  Hands down she is the world's WORST captain and boss ever.

• Love 10

I'm sorry, but Katie is an AWFUL manager/lead.  She projects weakness and indecision and doesn't give good direction.  She KNOWS Lexi is fucking the dog, gives her vague direction with no time frame, and then refuses to check up on her.  Lexi is awful, but Katie is the one who is supposed to know what she is doing and be in charge and she has been very, very bad at that.

Edited by Lassus
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/18/2021 at 12:13 PM, Xebug67 said:

Speaking of tips, it's so odd to me that it's not a rounded up amount.  I believe this tip amount ended in 585 as regards U.S. dollars.  So weird to me.

The conversion rate is always changing, but it's very close to 20,000 Euros at today's rate.

7 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

Which is part of why it's so crazy that Captain Asshat is always around and micromanaging at the WRONG times (e.g. constantly asking the guests if they're enjoying the meal, if they're being taken care of, if they're enjoying the amenities, etc.)

She is a total camera hog.

• Love 5

So what do you all think ? Will Lexi make it to the end of this BDM season and the reunion ?

(This is not a spoiler discussion, just a fun speculation discussion.)

I say - she doesn't make it to the end.

Its episode 9 and still no appearance by Satan Lexi on Watch What Happens Live. As I posted 2 eps ago, it was announced that she'd be on WWHL and then wasn't there. No explanation by Andy and David took her place on the show. All current cast has been on WWHL at least once, some of them twice.

I don't get why Sandy is bringing on one more stew ? Now 4 for the interior and the tips get further watered down among the crew.

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Well there are only 3 charters left after this episode.

So that's what like 2 weeks, if that in filming time on the boat?

Would be kind of dumb to "fire" someone with one or two charters left.  But hey if it causes a big meltdown and screaming on TV, totally worth it to the producers!

Edited by aghst
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Bossa Nova said:

I don't get why Sandy is bringing on one more stew ? Now 4 for the interior and the tips get further watered down among the crew.

so I know they eventually decided to put the new person with Mat. Was that the room with the empty bed? I thought that had other guys in it. .But were there two empty beds then? I couldn't keep track

14 minutes ago, aghst said:

Well there are only 3 charters left after this episode.

So that's what like 2 weeks, if that in filming time on the boat?

Would be kind of dumb to "fire" someone with one or two charters left.  But hey if it causes a big meltdown and screaming on TV, totally worth it to the producers!

I think 3 charters could be as much as 5-6 more episodes.

Sometimes a single charter can equal two episodes (like this week's Oktoberfest asshat charter group).

• Love 3
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

so I know they eventually decided to put the new person with Mat. Was that the room with the empty bed? I thought that had other guys in it. .But were there two empty beds then? I couldn't keep track

David was in the room with Matt.  He moved in with Lloyd and Mzi since there have 3 beds in that room and the new girsl will be with Matt in the double.  HTH

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'd hate rooming with Matt. 

He still has that sex creep factor.

The other guys, David, Mzi, and Lloyd seem decent and that they'd respect a female roommate's privacy when necessary or requested.

Matt ? He'd be setting up secret video cameras.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I really like Katie but man she aggravates me. This is the second time where she treats coming on shift like some easy hand off. SHE’S THE SUPERVISOR! Go do a visual walk thru and take note of what the situation is. Had she come on shift and checked around first thing she would have noticed the table not completely set that first go round and AGAIN this episode she would have spotted that some of the guests were up like 5 minutes into them looking for service. Like how are you THAT aware of how bad Lexis performance is but still don’t immediately check the status of the guest area, breakfast area and the guest themselves. And why was the laundry room Katie’s first stop? Plus if she did just happen to notice Lexi in the laundry room why would you think chilling in there going over things far away from where guests would be starting to pop up for breakfast is a good idea? first thing I would have done was say come on let’s talk and walk and go check on what’s going on upstairs. Whether the guests were up or not they needed to be up there plus that would have been the way to go cause if there were things undone then she’d have Lexi right with her and she would be able to easily instruct her to complete whatever task. Easy breezy. Katie keeps handling the situation like she’s just Lexi relief and they hand shifts off to each other and not like she’s the Chief Stew. Again I really like Katie I just need her to get a little more of a clue on what her responsibilities are regarding the other stews. It’s awesome that she’s such a nice person and hard worker but she really needs to acquire a process that includes overseeing her crew and not just working beside them. That what she really lacks. This is what needs to happen. Step 1) Do a walk thru and ASSESS the current state of affairs. Step 2)Take note of what needs to happen, tasks that needs completion etc etc and determine who should be doing what and Step 3) Instruct her stews on what needs to happen and direct them on how she needs them to get it done. I hope she figures it out. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 7