Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E21: Ransomware

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

As always, watch, then post. Do not bring in topics that were not discussed.  No personal politics. 

• Start Topic

That AT$T commercial was amusing. Beach faxing? Glad that’s not a thing.

Ugh I remember the gas panic and everyone getting extra gas “just in case“. We need so little to be stupid.

Ollie pulling Theresa aside for telling any hackers that it’s a great time to attack a hospital while acknowledging he does the same thing made me laugh.

I don’t know how he didn’t dissolve laughing when telling us that the butt plug that can be hacked does have a manual key.

I knew our general cyber security was a joke but wow at the guy who encrypted in five minutes without writing any code.

Why do these douchebags always end up buying big cats? That innocent little lion will not live it’s best life with a ransomware asshat.

Ave Maria playing over the poor guy with the hacked butt plug was the perfect ending.

• Love 10

Swear to God, if I have to hear ONE more person whining about how wearing a mask violates their "freedoms" I am going to lose it. Shut. Up. 

And of course my state of Iowa is among those banning mask mandates. Can my state please return to the land of sanity again? Please? I'm so tired of us being in the news for bad things. .These politicians refusing to do anything about this pandemic in terms of mask mandates and vaccines are putting way too many people's lives at risk and they're overburdening our system. There needs to be serious consequences for that. This is well beyond ridiculous. 

And to anyone in those clips John showed who keeps dismissing the idea of their kids being made to wear masks at school, three things: 1) Tell that to the parents whose kids did get severely ill and have died from this. I'm sure they'll be thrilled to learn about how their child had to suffer and die because you couldn't bother putting on a mask, or letting your kid wear a mask. 

2) CHILDREN ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES AT THOSE SCHOOLS. There's also adults there, who work and deal with these kids, and they are at much higher risk of getting severely ill and dying from this, especially if they fall into particularly high risk groups. And if kids are carrying the virus, they can infect those adults, who will then infect others around them, both at work and at home. And thus the outbreak continues. I mean, for God's sakes, a five year old can figure this out. How supposed grown adults can't seem to grasp this incredibly simple concept is truly beyond me. 

And 3) They're. Children. It doesn't matter whether they're at high risk or not with this virus. They can still get sick, even in mild form, and it's better to try and keep them as safe as possible than to do nothing. John's point about how we don't know the long-term effects of the virus are spot on, too - seriously, I love how people refuse to take the vaccine because they're afraid of the long-term effects, but letting their kids or other adults risk getting sick with a deadly virus, which we already do know has posed some long-term effects for those who've been sick with it? Yeah, that's totally fine. ??????

It's just so incredibly infuriating - this is why we will never get out of this pandemic.  I've heard that some school districts are pushing back against the ban on mask mandates, though, so. it'll be interesting to see how those efforts pan out. I hope they get their way. 

As for the ransomware story, see, this is one reason of many why I've always been a little wary of this incessant need to turn every single appliance in our homes into some kind of "smart device". Technology is the future and all, yeah, but we still need non-technological stuff on hand, too, because, be it through ransomware or any other technological issue, technology can fail and go haywire. 

Also, that butt plug story was...um. Wow. Yeah. Something. I too am wondering why the hell anyone would trust random people on the internet to control something like that. 

• Love 15

Poor trees. I mean, some asshole descendent of slave holders punching one into splinters, and then some weirdo absolutely perving on them.

Leave trees alone! And lion cubs.

Edited by ahisma
  • Love 13

The scary thing is not that those anti-mask mandate people exist, the scary thing is that there are states who legislate following their nonsense. It is btw only a matter of time until those half-vaccinated societies breed a new variant, and that one could be very dangerous for children. 

The Ransomware thing makes me think about the various books and movies created around this topic decades ago. As usual, fantasy was faster than technology, and now we have to deal with an entirely predictable problem. 

• Love 7

It was depressing to see John mention that the Taliban control half of Afghanistan on the day (only a couple of days after filming) that they captured the Kabul and took control of the country. 

I hope someone asks Madison Cawthorne about how proud he is of his slave owning ancestors.

The whole butt plug thing was hilarious and inexplicable. "Yes, I will let some random person on the internet take control of my anus."

I really worry about how this whole anti vax thing will affect US public health outside of covid. A couple of years ago we saw measles outbreaks because people didn't get vaccinated. What's the next preventable disease to return? Whooping cough? Polio?

I hope John does a segment on cryptocurrency aside from malware. Because it really feels like people are using computer power to print money.

ETA I wonder how many of the legislators advocating anti vax policies are over sixty. Because they probably bear a literal scar from the smallpox vaccine. Because of a global effort smallpox was eradicated. 

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7

That guy with the fixation on trees was... something.

Regarding cybersecurity, it would be nice if people who don't want to use so much technology weren't being descriminated against more and more.  It's nice that we occasionally get a reminder to not click on suspicious emails and so on, but if all websites including this one wouldn't ask me to allow stuff on a regular basis, else I can't use the site, that would be nicer. And in those cases of cyber atacks that are publicised, the narrative usually seems to be on blaming the victims for not having enough security, etc. I don't see a similar approach when someone's house is robbed in preaching that they should have better alarm. Why isn't there more prosecution of those criminals who prey on people? That one person arguing for death penalty was of course way over the line, but I don't blame anyone for wishing the worst on those assholes, especially if they target hospitals and patients suffer because of that. That should be treated as attempted murder, IMO.

I wonder what would happen if some celebrity or other rich person, whose family/friend were victims of such thing hired some other hacker to find those responsible and expose their data on the internet. Preferably publicly.

I just can't with those people who selfishly hurt others that have done them no harm, for their own amusement, getting off on others pain, or simply for money. And I can see a parallel between those hackers and the anti-mask anti-vaccers, who also selfishly like to put others at risk. I wonder how much of that is their own feelings of worthlessness, anger and the desire to put themselves above someone else to feel bigger. Assholes.

• Love 7

Excuse me, but there are devices you can put your penis in and lock it away? WTF? Ollie rushed thought that so quickly I had to rewind and replay it to make sure I heard right. I don't understand. Is it a fetish/BDSM thing?

• Love 3

Yep, pretty much. Though usually you give the key to someone you trust. Male chastity is a kink with a number of sub-kinks, but the idea to give the control to a computer is really eerie...some people might even get off the idea that this thing can be hacked and they might end up in the control of some dastardly stranger. Mind you, I doubt that they would enjoy it actually happening, but some people might like the fantasy of it happening. 

Regarding Afghanistan: I am not sure if I am angry about the troops leaving, but I AM angry that they didn't evacuate properly beforehand. What is happening now is so predictable. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

As for the ransomware story, see, this is one reason of many why I've always been a little wary of this incessant need to turn every single appliance in our homes into some kind of "smart device". Technology is the future and all, yeah, but we still need non-technological stuff on hand, too, because, be it through ransomware or any other technological issue, technology can fail and go haywire. 

I saw a movie a couple of years ago about a family with a high-tech smart house that was hacked. I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, I have no desire to get a smart fridge or other appliance. 

14 hours ago, ahisma said:

Poor trees. I mean, some asshole descendent of slave holders punching one into splinters, and then some weirdo absolutely perving on them.

Why was Madison Cawthorne punching the tree?

And the other guy, the tree house guy -- Was he going to build treehouses in those trees?

2 hours ago, swanpride said:

Yep, pretty much. Though usually you give the key to someone you trust. Male chastity is a kink with a number of sub-kinks, but the idea to give the control to a computer is really eerie...some people might even get off the idea that this thing can be hacked and they might end up in the control of some dastardly stranger. Mind you, I doubt that they would enjoy it actually happening, but some people might like the fantasy of it happening. 

Regarding Afghanistan: I am not sure if I am angry about the troops leaving, but I AM angry that they didn't evacuate properly beforehand. What is happening now is so predictable. 

My thinking about butt plugs and then reading "they didn't evacuate properly" was a mistake.

The people who say that as Americans they have the freedom to do whatever they like... What is their response when we say, for instance, you can't drive drunk? Obviously you can't do "whatever you want." It's all so infuriating.

And the ransomware story was also infuriating. I didn't know that individuals, like Russian grandmothers, are targeted. I wonder how they pick such targets. Newt Gingrich saying that the US should be allowed to murder people was jaw-dropping.

I wonder if the show might do a story on Afghanistan next week. What a horrible situation.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I saw a movie a couple of years ago about a family with a high-tech smart house that was hacked. I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, I have no desire to get a smart fridge or other appliance. 

Same. Hell, I refuse to ever get an Alexa device. Those things creep me out. 

The people who say that as Americans they have the freedom to do whatever they like... What is their response when we say, for instance, you can't drive drunk? Obviously you can't do "whatever you want." It's all so infuriating.

God, seriously, this. And what about the freedom of those of us who don't want to get sick, or don't want our loved ones' health put at risk, and who want to be able to travel and go to work and school safely? Why is it only the anti-mask/vaccine crowd whose "freedom" gets to be up for consideration? 

Newt Gingrich saying that the US should be allowed to murder people was jaw-dropping.

That's the thing about him, on the one hand, he'll say things that are truly appalling...and then you stop and think, "Yeah, but it's Newt Gingrich saying this, so should I really be all that surprised?" Seriously, why does anyone continue to get his opinion on any issue of substance? Hasn't his credibility, presuming he ever had any to begin with, been shot all to hell numerous times by now? 

• Love 9

I now have a device in which Alexa is preinstalled (because it was my only option to get what I wanted) and annoyingly you can't just remove it, but I take a lot of care that Alexa is always deactivated and the microphone is NEVER running. Stupid things. I also have backups for everything. 

And yes, I am kind of sick and tired of those people screaming about freedom when I know that their stupidity is basically taking MY freedom away.

• Love 4

Maybe those people would not anger me so much if they just protested peacefully and politely, but some of these videos are insane, they are so angry and they threaten normal people. How is it that they dare to say that they will find those people, while on camera? And this is over restrictions, noone gets actually hurt by those. Meanwhile, those same people* get annoyed over protests for other causes, such as gun control, when people who protest are often those who lost their friends and family members, are legitimately hurt and still manage to behave. And they get to be gaslighted and called paid actors. 

* I don't have any data for this, but come on, we all know that these are generally the same people.

My guess is that some of these anti-vaccers just want something to be angry about and if the narrative fed to them was different, they would just choose a different target. 

• Love 4

That story about ransomware. YIPE! That is some scary shit, having your entire computer system held hostage by some douchebags with lions for pets. Now I know I have no incentive of turning my place into a "smart home". Although that bit about those smart buttplugs were loads of hilarious.

The guy in the And Now... segment. All he needs is a plaid shirt and a beard that's bigger than his head, and he can be a full on lumbersexual.

And kudos to Ollie for calling out those rabid assholes for threating people who advise everyone to keep wearing masks during the pandemic. I just can't with these thugs. They need to be held accountable because their actions and behavior is what's getting people - especially children - dead!

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

What are the downsides of wearing a mask?  I don’t get it.  Medical personnel wore them a lot even before Covid.  

Do you really want to hear the excuses people actually give? Because most of them boil down to this:

• Love 5

I have Alexa everything, and you can pry her from my cold, ransomed hands.  I love being able to turn on every light in my house without getting out of bed when something goes bump in the night.  Or pause the tv without bothering to find the remote, lol.

Also, just food for thought on the issue - almost everyone's smartphone is already listening to everything you say, and far more importantly, keep in mind that for some folks, smart devices are game changers.  I work in the disability industry, and you'd be shocked at how much Alexa and her ilk help people to regain some pretty simple freedoms.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

...Not saying that they don't have their uses. But it is actually forbidden to run them in Germany without informing your guests for privacy reasons. Like, just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
On 8/16/2021 at 11:53 PM, purist said:

Excuse me, but there are devices you can put your penis in and lock it away? WTF? Ollie rushed thought that so quickly I had to rewind and replay it to make sure I heard right. I don't understand. Is it a fetish/BDSM thing?

Out of context this reads like people are removing their own penises and locking them away in safes. Which I think is fair enough, it's not like you need one with you 24/7.

• LOL 13
3 minutes ago, Brandi Maxxxx said:

Out of context this reads like people are removing their own penises and locking them away in safes. Which I think is fair enough, it's not like you need one with you 24/7.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, swanpride said:

...Not saying that they don't have their uses. But it is actually forbidden to run them in Germany without informing your guests for privacy reasons. Like, just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it. 

I'm not trying to be persnickety, but I couldn't find any stories about this.  Is it definitely true?  I was wondering about the particulars - like I said above, smartphones are always listening too - would you have to inform your guests about those too?  And surely your guest would only have the option to leave your home, not actually make you turn off Alexa, correct?

While I do love my Alexa, I also understand privacy concerns, so I'm not trying to debate anyone into suddenly approving of Alexa.  I just have always wondered at people lecturing me about my Alexa while they're holding an iPhone in their hand.  Siri's listening, too, y'know?

• Love 3

...Siri is certainly not listening on my phone. Which is basically turned off most of the time. 

But yeah, the whole thing falls under the "no recording without consent" rule...since Alexa is recording, you have to inform your guests, but they naturally only have the choice to consent or leave. And practically most people either don't know or don't care about such rules. To give another example, if you are calling on the phone an organisations which occasionally records phone calls, you are getting informed about the fact and you have the option to say from the get go that you don't want to be recorded. 

• Useful 3

I'm all in on this episode because it's leaning in to my actual job. You know how when you get a new car, you see that car all over the place? It's the same with these events. The sheer variety of targets, as John pointed out, is staggering because of all the data out there. 

Don't lose that key!

22 hours ago, bilgistic said:

That's a deep cut (no pun intended).

Good work there. He wanted $10, but I talked him down. 

I don't know why, but the way the v/o guy said 'beach business' so derisively killed me. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2

Not a good episode for trees. One guy punches a tree into oblivion, the other obviously wanted to bang 'em. And his whole thing was building treehouses, so he wanted to chop down trees and stick 'em on other trees. When you think about it, that's more disturbing than banging them.

Pandemic stuff scary as always . . . especially the guys threatening the one man in his car. Do they know that they themselves are being recorded, and that their actions will be remembered? Probably not. And, once again, I don't think going to Disneyworld with my mother years ago counts as going to Florida, unless you count our time in the shuttle and at the airport.

Ransomware was also scary, especially when you see that regular people can be targets. Well, regular people and people with hackable sex toys.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:36 PM, scarynikki12 said:

That AT$T commercial was amusing. Beach faxing? Glad that’s not a thing.

I actually remember that commercial when it used to air.

• Love 5

I work from home and we were told that we can't have Alexa/Siri/Google Home or anything like that active while we work. Since they passively listen, they could record us on the phones or in a meeting and we work with PII. It's the same reason on the phone if we can tell they called using a callback service, we are required to hang up immediately.

The other reason I didn't get a smart fridge when I needed a new one a few years ago is the same reason I didn't want a smart tv -- they don't always keep the software up to date on older models and it's one more part that can break. Even the guy at the store who took the order and scheduled delivery recommended simpler fridge models rather than trying to upsell me because of reliability.

The guy beating the crap out of that tree reminded me of the story from the Bible when the fig tree was out of season and Jesus attacked it for not having any figs.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
On 8/26/2021 at 9:07 AM, peeayebee said:

Why did you want a smart fridge?

Were you asking me? I never wanted a smart fridge. I didn't even want an ice maker, though the one I bought has one because the ones that didn't were barely bigger than a mini fridge. My only requirement was reliable and able to get through my front door.

• Love 1