Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: A Peace of Light

jewel21
  • Start Topic

When Zoey’s ideas are used without credit by her boss, she debates whether to speak up and risk her internship or sit silently. Jazz seeks medical leave from the track team by going to therapy. Aaron tries to make a good impression.

Airdate: 08/19/2021

Aaron is a really sucky teacher, but the students are acting like high school students. Are college students like that? Although the ending of the "same" students and how life-changing it was was poignant. 

I found the message of "I don't want to be an obstacle" as a way to validate Esme's stealing confusing, but Luca's actions were incredibly foolish, especially without asking. For all he knows, Esme could have agreed to give Zoe a job and that could have put it in jeopardy. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Luca is an arrogant schmuck, as usual. 

Aaron's story shows why you need classroom training, as well as subject-matter training. But no, I never saw a classroom of college students act like that.

Yes, Luca "You only got the job because you are a pretty girl" Hall gets to pretend he has Zoey's back. That's rich. 

Jazz is currently carrying the show on her back. 

• Love 1
On 8/21/2021 at 7:01 PM, possibilities said:

Luca is an arrogant schmuck, as usual. 

Aaron's story shows why you need classroom training, as well as subject-matter training. But no, I never saw a classroom of college students act like that.

I never have either and it makes me wonder what the teacher's recourse is in the college setting? In high school, you send the kid to the principal or whatever, but what does a college professor do with disruptive, but paying, students? I would hope he has the option to turn their disrespectful asses out onto the sidewalk with no refunds given.

All that being said, I never like Aaron less than when he's speechifying. His tone and delivery just run right over his message for me, even if I agree with every word of what he's actually saying.

Similarly, I'm struggling with Zoey's newfound speechifying ways as well. She's not only adopted Aaron's ideas, she's picked up his droning speech patterns as well. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I never have either and it makes me wonder what the teacher's recourse is in the college setting? In high school, you send the kid to the principal or whatever, but what does a college professor do with disruptive, but paying, students? I would hope he has the option to turn their disrespectful asses out onto the sidewalk with no refunds given.

A few choices:

A. You mark them as absent. Schools often have an attendance policy. 

B. You ask them to leave the classroom. 

C. You deduct points from their grades. 

D. You talk to the Dean. 

E. You tell them to laugh, but good luck on the final. All of the material will be on it and he doesn't plan on curving grades.  

Aaron had a variety of choices. He failed to use a single one. 

• Love 5

Aaron's storyline was bad tv writing to make a point. 

First he is a terrible teacher.  Who the heck teaches Malcolm X like that?  Who teaches by asking plot questions of a book? 

And second, college students don't act that way.  They are 100% aware that the instructor -- be in a full prof, an adjunct, or a TA -- has their grade fate in their hands.  They are not going to be blatantly insubordinate and that disrespectful when they know it can impact their gpa.   It looks like he was teaching a small class seminar.  The setting is so intimate that students aren't going to do anything like being on a phone.  A huge lecture class that are in lecture halls, sure, especially if it is a boring lecture and you can hide in a huge group, but no way in a small discussion class like that students would be doing that.  Also a lot of profs for years since the rise of cell phones have implemented strict no-cell phone rules in class.  Some even going so far as to put it in the syllabus as a points-off deterrent.

Zoery's storyline was actually very interesting and the conflict and dilemma was well presented.  Her idea was clearly and blatantly stolen and yet I could see how hard that is to confront especially to a person that holds your fate in their hands in so many ways.  It is another aspect of a situation where it is hard to come forward.  One the one hand I was fine with her finally being at peace with her idea being stolen.  But on the other hand I hated her reasoning for it.  No.  It is not uplifitng the culture to enable that sort of blatant theft.   Is she in turn uplifting you by stealing your shit and not sharing the credit?  As Nomi said, she probably did it before and will probably do it again.  Ana's  "I am proud of you." just made me roll my eyes.

Jazz in therapy is great. Such a strong scene.

Luca stays annoying.  It was not his place to put La La on blast.  What a jerk.

• Love 1